The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR608 Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 49 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1441 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 08:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
The main difference accounting for the loss of size is the loss of power and weight the 608 has compared to those other units. Less power means it needs less massive heat sinks to disipate power. Less massive heat sinks means smaller size. The fan also helps in that regaurd -- it is able to more efficiently disipate heat vs heat sinks alone so they can be a little smaller.

I don't know of a work around for your case where your center is more capable than your left/right -- thats probably pretty rare. There may be some setting in a hidden service menu. The two options I can think of are:
1. Set the crossover as low as it can go for your center (40Hz I believe), with this option you lose the lowest octave on your center sub.
2. Hook both your center sub and your normal sub to the subwoofer outputs of the 608 (or just disconnect the center sub if it isn't very good compared to your normal sub), and set the crossover normally on your center channel. This is the better option. The 608 will take the low frequencies that were going to go to your center sub anyway and redirect them to both subs. You can't localize frequencies this low anyway so it won't make a difference to your ears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerowarp View Post

Most definitely. What was your old receiver?

I had the Onkyo Sr-805. Came home one day and it says "No Signal" on the receiver display with any Input. I double checked all inputs and settings, reset it to factory settings, nothing worked. All source devices and Tv works just fine. For some reason the receiver will not get a signal from any device. My assumption is the HDMI board/circuitry is fried. Assuming that's the case, what do I do with it now? I bought a 608 to replace it so do i just junk it. Can't use it as a large paper-weight.
post #1443 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 08:46 AM

I would see how much it would be to get the 805 fixed, maybe sell it. The 805 was the last "resonably priced" reciever that had tons of power and MultEQ-XT. The specs are out for the 708, 808, and 1008 -- the 1008 doesn't even have MultEQ-XT this year...
post #1444 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 08:46 AM

Power aside, does anyone see a major reason why to get the SR608 over the SR508?

Also, can anyone confirm whether you can assign a digital audio channel to pair up with an HDMI video source on the SR608? For example, I have an HTPC with a DVI video out and a sound card with Coax digital out. I currently use a DVI/HDMI dongle to get the video signal to the receiver (but it obviously carries no sound). I then need to get audio to the system. Can you plug the HDMI cable into, for example, the Game input, and then assign the Game audio input to be a different coax digital source?

The manual confused me a bit in this regard - telling me that the audio source is "automatically" selected. I can't figure out whether the automatic setting is a default, or whether it is a hard association.

Thanks all.
post #1445 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 08:54 AM

I noticed a strange thing playing with the various video settings and the game/return settings, messing with them enough I seem to have confused the processor and got an image that was ghosting very artsy like. It went away after a source change.

I was able to get it back after more fiddling. It's as if the proc doesn't reset after changing from game and through modes. From what I can tell at least.

Seems a power cycling or at least source change may be in order to solidify any settings. Don't count on it just taking effect.
post #1446 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 10:15 AM

I'm ready to setup my new 608 and I need some advice on my plans. I am new to 7.1, Dolby Pro Logic IIz, and Audyssey DSX but would like to experiment.

In speakers I currently have a center channel, sub, fronts and surrounds (5.1).

I am thinking of purchasing 2 pair of in-ceiling speakers to "enjoy" (as the manual states) DTS ES, EX, DD PL IIz, etc. 1 pair would be used for Front Highs and the 2nd pair would be used for Surround Backs. This would be used in conjunction with the 5.1 speakers I currently own. I understand that you can only utilize Front Highs or Surround Backs at one time.

My questions are: If you have all the speakers installed and wired as above, to hear the front highs is it as simple as selecting the speaker layout with front high speakers and listening mode as DD PL IIz? Then if I want to try out the surround backs could I change the speaker layout in the menu to "remove" the front highs/add the surround backs and select a listening mode such as THX surround EX? From what I've read this seems possible though I'm sure some would question why you would set up both.

My last question is a reach. If I were already utilizing the Front high/Front wide/Zone 2 speaker terminals for my Front high speakers as described above, could I try the following in the future: (with "zone 1" inactive) From Zone 2 Line Out to separate amp to listen to music in zone 2. With this setup what would happen if you selected zone 2 and a source on the 608? Would it play music in zone 2 AND on the front highs? Or would you only get music from the front highs and nothing out of the Zone 2 line outs? I guess my question is actually "Are the front high terminals and zone 2 line outs simultaneously active"?

Has anybody tried these setups with their 607 or 608? I appreciate your input.
post #1447 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimwitty View Post

Power aside, does anyone see a major reason why to get the SR608 over the SR508?

I had and returned a 508. The 508 is pretty good, but the main reason that I decided to move up to something higher on the food chain was because the 508 cannot upconvert analog signals to HDMI, which means my legacy composite and component signals would require additional cables going to the TV from the receiver. It also doesn't have s-video if that means anything to you.

In your case, a 608 might also be interesting in that it has a VGA port that you can plug your computer into (using DVI->VGA if your video card only outputs to DVI). I know it's not a digital signal, but that VGA can be paired with an optical or coaxial (or analog) audio signal. I have not tried to pair a different audio signal with the HDMI, so, I don't know if this can be done or not.

Oh, and the 508 got quite warm. Not so hot as to burn your hand, but definitely uncomfortable to leave your hand on. The 608 has a fan which should improve that.

If none of that matters to you, then perhaps a 508 would be fine.

------
refresh_daemon
post #1448 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by refresh_daemon View Post

I had and returned a 508. The 508 is pretty good, but the main reason that I decided to move up to something higher on the food chain was because the 508 cannot upconvert analog signals to HDMI, which means my legacy composite and component signals would require additional cables going to the TV from the receiver. It also doesn't have s-video if that means anything to you.

In your case, a 608 might also be interesting in that it has a VGA port that you can plug your computer into (using DVI->VGA if your video card only outputs to DVI). I know it's not a digital signal, but that VGA can be paired with an optical or coaxial (or analog) audio signal. I have not tried to pair a different audio signal with the HDMI, so, I don't know if this can be done or not.

Oh, and the 508 got quite warm. Not so hot as to burn your hand, but definitely uncomfortable to leave your hand on. The 608 has a fan which should improve that.

If none of that matters to you, then perhaps a 508 would be fine.

Thanks. I like the idea of a PC port on the back of the 608 - but, as it turns out, with my nVidia card, if I plug in using the PC port, I lose some tweakability (ability to change the size and shape of the screen to match the projector screen), which is for some reason present on the HDMI output.

I appreciate the comment on the heat issue. I've got my junk stored in a utility room on a shelf (no enclosure), but I'm surprised to hear the 508 gives off more heat. I'd figure the opposite to be true, given the power output of each.

If all goes according to plan, I'll have no legacy gear, so the upconverting won't be an issue, but perhaps you can clarify. Does no upconverting mean that Component signals must be passed via component to the monitor, or can they be passed to the monitor via HDMI, but with no upconversion to, e.g., 1080p?

Thx.
post #1449 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I saw a line or two in the manual about speaker impedence but no real instruction as to how to change settings. Anyone know what the the receiver is set on by default? I'm probably ok with my 8 ohm speakers but I wanted to check to be sure.
post #1450 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antvinman View Post

I'm ready to setup my new 608 and I need some advice on my plans. I am new to 7.1, Dolby Pro Logic IIz, and Audyssey DSX but would like to experiment.

In speakers I currently have a center channel, sub, fronts and surrounds (5.1).

I am thinking of purchasing 2 pair of in-ceiling speakers to "enjoy" (as the manual states) DTS ES, EX, DD PL IIz, etc. 1 pair would be used for Front Highs and the 2nd pair would be used for Surround Backs. This would be used in conjunction with the 5.1 speakers I currently own. I understand that you can only utilize Front Highs or Surround Backs at one time.

My questions are: If you have all the speakers installed and wired as above, to hear the front highs is it as simple as selecting the speaker layout with front high speakers and listening mode as DD PL IIz? Then if I want to try out the surround backs could I change the speaker layout in the menu to "remove" the front highs/add the surround backs and select a listening mode such as THX surround EX? From what I've read this seems possible though I'm sure some would question why you would set up both.

My last question is a reach. If I were already utilizing the Front high/Front wide/Zone 2 speaker terminals for my Front high speakers as described above, could I try the following in the future: (with "zone 1" inactive) From Zone 2 Line Out to separate amp to listen to music in zone 2. With this setup what would happen if you selected zone 2 and a source on the 608? Would it play music in zone 2 AND on the front highs? Or would you only get music from the front highs and nothing out of the Zone 2 line outs? I guess my question is actually "Are the front high terminals and zone 2 line outs simultaneously active"?

Has anybody tried these setups with their 607 or 608? I appreciate your input.

To answer your first question yes in one of the menus you can switch back and forth, but most likely you will either lose your Audyssey calibration or once you make the switch the sound will be all screwed up because it will be calibrated for the other speaker set. But this brings us to your second question... I don't recall seeing anyone confirm how the terminals on the 608 work. I know on some other receivers, they end up being hooked together internally, so you couldn't even do a situation where you switch back and forth between speaker sets since sound will end up coming out of both of them.

In general I wouldn't plan on having that sort of feature if you buy the 608. You might want to look into a 9.2 unit like the 1008.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbug View Post

I saw a line or two in the manual about speaker impedence but no real instruction as to how to change settings. Anyone know what the the receiver is set on by default? I'm probably ok with my 8 ohm speakers but I wanted to check to be sure.

The American version can handle speakers down to 6ohms. There is no changeable setting as far as I know.
post #1451 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:

I appreciate the comment on the heat issue. I've got my junk stored in a utility room on a shelf (no enclosure), but I'm surprised to hear the 508 gives off more heat. I'd figure the opposite to be true, given the power output of each.

If all goes according to plan, I'll have no legacy gear, so the upconverting won't be an issue, but perhaps you can clarify. Does no upconverting mean that Component signals must be passed via component to the monitor, or can they be passed to the monitor via HDMI, but with no upconversion to, e.g., 1080p?

I was surprised about the heat from the 508 too, since the reports from the 608 seemed to indicate that it was cooler, but if it's merely a fan keeping the top cool, it makes sense, because it's just dispersing heat that's already there. The 608 is hot, but does a good job of keeping any heat from lingering in and around the unit. The 508, having no fan, heats up and stays heated up--but if your AVR isn't enclosed and you don't put anything atop it, I don't see it being a problem.

In regards to the upconversion, the 508 does not have any video processing. So, there's nothing inside to turn an analog video signal (component/composite) into a digital signal (HDMI). Which means, yes, you'll need a component from the AVR to the TV, in addition to the component from your device to the AVR, if you want a component signal to go through the AVR to the TV. On top of it, it won't upscale or deinterlace any digital signals, including HDMI signals, leaving that to your TV to handle.

But if you have no gear with component/composite video, you should be fine. The AVR will take any audio signal, including analog, coaxial and optical and forward that through the HDMI. I had to hook up a component from the AVR to the TV to see my Wii and old multi-region DVD player's video signal, but I could hear them just fine when just the HDMI was plugged in.

Hope that helps!

------
refresh_daemon
post #1452 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 05:50 PM

Thanks. That does help. But I guess it's still in the air - can you split the audio signal fromthe video when using HDMI? In other words, have the video come through an HDMI input while the audio portion comes through coax?
post #1453 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Checking in with the thread...

The Onkyo 608 operating flawlessly, sound is fantastic

No problems with video processing, game lag, clicking, fan noise, heat, source switching

Couldn't be happier, great unit

PS3 Screenname Tunaman4u2 for COD MW2 & TigerWoods 11
post #1454 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 07:08 PM

Liked: 15
I purchased one of these last Saturday as an upgrade from a Yamaha 663 and I am very pleased with it and it's features. This is the first Onkyo receiver I have purchased as all my previous ones have been Yamaha. I have not noticed any of the video processing "issues" that have been mentioned in this thread and it seems to have plenty of power when compared to the Yamaha.
post #1455 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix1973 View Post

I purchased one of these last Saturday as an upgrade from a Yamaha 663 and I am very pleased with it and it's features. This is the first Onkyo receiver I have purchased as all my previous ones have been Yamaha. I have not noticed any of the video processing "issues" that have been mentioned in this thread and it seems to have plenty of power when compared to the Yamaha.

Why did you choose to upgrade over the 663? Curious, because I started my recent search at the 663, then got turned on to the 665, which led me to the 608 and now I'm hemming and hawing between it and the 508.
post #1456 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I AGREE with Tunaman4u2

No problems with video processing, game lag, clicking, fan noise, heat, source switching

post #1457 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 08:15 PM

Quote:

Thanks. That does help. But I guess it's still in the air - can you split the audio signal fromthe video when using HDMI? In other words, have the video come through an HDMI input while the audio portion comes through coax?

Yes you can. I've got my pc video card hooked up with a dvi to hdmi cable. The sound card is hooked up with coax.
post #1458 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 08:19 PM

Liked: 12
TESTIFY PEOPLE!!!! At the same price point, the 608 smokes Yamaha, smokes Denon, and makes Pioneer Toss his HDMI.
post #1459 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 08:38 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

Why did you choose to upgrade over the 663? Curious, because I started my recent search at the 663, then got turned on to the 665, which led me to the 608 and now I'm hemming and hawing between it and the 508.

If you look at the Yamaha 663 thread there is discussion on the last few pages about not being able to get 7.1 matrixed out of the advanced audio codecs if you let the reciever do the decoding (you can matrix LPCM though but I only get 2 channel LPCM out of my Blu Ray player) which I want to have for my 7.1 system. Also, I wanted to have more HDMI ports available plus the fact that they are 1.4 ports for future use.
post #1460 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 08:40 PM
Advanced Member

So far I like the unit (downsized from an Outlaw 990/770 combo), it serves its purpose. I do miss the OSD (one thing I disliked about the outlaw) now that I have used the VCR/Return trick to bypass all video processing.

Outside of that, over the outlaw combo I am saving money on watts used (whoopie) and have a smaller footprint (no more lugging around a 90lb amp).

Having said that, it sounds good, has nice features but I would have like preouts, just in case. I'll probably pick up another unit later and run it with a smaller 5 channel amp.
post #1461 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 08:52 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hess View Post

So far I like the unit (downsized from an Outlaw 990/770 combo), it serves its purpose. I do miss the OSD (one thing I disliked about the outlaw) now that I have used the VCR/Return trick to bypass all video processing.

Outside of that, over the outlaw combo I am saving money on watts used (whoopie) and have a smaller footprint (no more lugging around a 90lb amp).

Having said that, it sounds good, has nice features but I would have like preouts, just in case. I'll probably pick up another unit later and run it with a smaller 5 channel amp.

Brother, that's a hell of a downgrade. I like Outlaw products. How would you compare the AQ between the two? What about power? How much you asking for the 990/770 ?
post #1462 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 09:20 PM

Has anyone been able to program their Onkyo remote to control a Comcast RNG 110 STB?
post #1463 of 5301 Old 06-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerowarp View Post

Brother, that's a hell of a downgrade. I like Outlaw products. How would you compare the AQ between the two? What about power? How much you asking for the 990/770 ?

Tell me about it! I keep telling myself I am downsizing not downgrading

Some long-winded history:

I've only rented/owned houses since I cobbled together that gear and now I live in an apartment so:

A) It's an apartment so I can't crank it (neighbors below me and my kiddos sleep just on the other side of the mains and sub, walls are not thick). Though when I've ran it how when the kids are with their mother i've never had any complaints.

B) The A/V space is small 9'Wx14'L (and totally open on one side) so I don't need a 200w x 7 channel amp sucking my power down! I've not run 7.1 for 4 years or 6.1 for over a year now; I've also wanted a stand/shelves that was enclosed to keep all the goods in and a 95lb amp limits your options and also heats your room =D.

C) 990 was getting a bit long in the tooth (had it since launch and once they ditch the 997...), I wanted HDMI switching damnit, OSD that wasn't through component, new feature support, etc!

So my ongoing plan is to shrink my footprint, allow a little more mobility (smaller speakers, no heavy amp - this applies to not just A/V gear). I was tempted to grab a 5.1 outlaw amp ($999) and sell off/return this 608 and go to the next one up with preouts when or if they release.

Tough call on AQ as I went from 990/770/Klipsch RFs all around in 7/6/5.1/SVS20-39PC+ for over 6 years and the Klipsch's were my first real speaker so its all I've ever known first hand (tho I have heard plenty of other systems). I also started with Outlaw's 1050>950/770>990/770, so again all I've ever known.

Now I've done a complete switch to an SVS speaker system (STS/SCS/SSS02s/SVS 20-39PC+) coupled with the Onkyo.

Short of the long of it is basically, as you inquired about, is about AQ, as volume certainly isn't problem with the current rig (and certainly wasn't with the last one); separates with power to spare and horn loaded speakers to an AVR with less power and speakers with silk tweets and lower DB/freq. handling.

I did have an ORB Audio Mod2/Denon AVR system (secondary in my last house) and I ran the orbs here (needed to use as surrounds once I moved here due to space) and would rotate them in as L/C/R in place of the RFs to see if I could live with a smaller system. I couldn't live with the orbs, the AQ was very poor in comparison but volume-wise,they were fine...I did run the klipsch's and orbs as surrounds off the Onkyo for a week or so and quite honestly, I couldn't hear any difference given the space. That's when I knew I could lose the 770 for sure yet keep the SVS Sub.

As it stands now, I can tell there is a noticeable difference in AQ and I am on the fence about being content with it as I've just set the speakers up two days ago and the system isn't dialed in. The center and mains are lacking compared to the RFs, I could run the RFs without a sub and it was ok for the space just not my preferences and the SVS are designed to need a sub and you can tell.

Surrounds are wash....I never ran the RS3s ans they are so big they shoot past the listening position and after I sold my orbs I was using 2 Logitech Z 5500 sats as surrounds and while tinny, they did the job. The SVS' are big improvement tho.
post #1464 of 5301 Old 06-03-2010, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badfish602 View Post

I have the Harmony 900 and i am using the RF blaster and mini blasters. The only real problem i had was the remote sending a signal to the wrong input. It seemed to me that the Harmony is running a remote version from an older model Onkyo. I would set it up for input 3 and it would switch it to input 2. So in the Harmony setup i set the inputs for one input ahead. In stead of what should be input 3 i set it for input 2. The same for what should be input 4 was set to 3. It has worked fine for me now.

I had the same issue. On the unit there are HDMI 1-5 so you would assume those would match to the the video sources, Video 1-5, in the Harmony set up. But here's what I found:

HDMI 1 - DVD
HDMI 2 - Video 1
HDMI 3 - ???
HDMI 4 - Video 3
HDMI 5 - Video 6

I got everything working with my 608, Cisco RNG200 / SA Explorer 8500, Xbox, Wii, Oppo BDP and Mac mini. Inputs switch correctly on my Harmony One.

My issue is that I leave my display on because it doesn't register IR well and it kills the usefulness of my Harmony one. The display shuts itself off when it isn't receiving a signal so with my 605 I could just shut off the receiver and the TV would shut itself off 30 seconds later. When I upgraded to the 608 the TV stopped shutting itself off, I assume this is because the video pass through is making the display think it's still getting a signal. Anyone know how I can disable pass through?
post #1465 of 5301 Old 06-03-2010, 05:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I AGREE with Tunaman4u2

A lot of time on AVSforum the majority of posts are about people looking to solve issues with their product. Its good to bring a balance so people know theres a silent majority of people enjoying the product instead of posting!

post #1466 of 5301 Old 06-03-2010, 06:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaman4u2 View Post

A lot of time on AVSforum the majority of posts are about people looking to solve issues with their product. Its good to bring a balance so people know theres a silent majority of people enjoying the product instead of posting!

I know - the unit is so inexpensive get a 2nd one

And one person has a Fan Problem - GET IT FIXED.

Most of these complaint posts can be the COMPETITION.
post #1467 of 5301 Old 06-03-2010, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natrix1973 View Post

If you look at the Yamaha 663 thread there is discussion on the last few pages about not being able to get 7.1 matrixed out of the advanced audio codecs if you let the reciever do the decoding (you can matrix LPCM though but I only get 2 channel LPCM out of my Blu Ray player) which I want to have for my 7.1 system. Also, I wanted to have more HDMI ports available plus the fact that they are 1.4 ports for future use.

Interesting. That was one of the things I was following on the 663 thread, too, about a week back. I was surprised to hear that the DTS-MA couldn't be matrixed, but the TrueHD could. Wierd. Not the case with the 608, I presume?

In any event, I am sold on the Onkyo over the Yammy (tough, cause I've bought all Yammy's in the past). Time for a little change. It'll be fun to get back into the 7.1 game once I upgrade into the HD codecs (currently running 5.1 analog pcm after decoding with the Blu Ray).
post #1468 of 5301 Old 06-03-2010, 08:14 AM

Quote:

In your case, a 608 might also be interesting in that it has a VGA port that you can plug your computer into (using DVI->VGA if your video card only outputs to DVI).

I'm curious, because I've got a macbook pro which outputs DVI. I'm about to pull the trigger on the 608, and I was planning on using a DVI to HDMI adapter, which I already have, and plugging that into the 608 via HDMI. Why would one go from DVI to VGA, and then plug into the 608? Isn't that a downgrade only to have it upconverted again?
post #1469 of 5301 Old 06-03-2010, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

I know - the unit is so inexpensive get a 2nd one

And one person has a Fan Problem - GET IT FIXED.

Most of these complaint posts can be the COMPETITION.

I've never heard the fan ever. I have an open stand & don't leave it on for hours though.

post #1470 of 5301 Old 06-03-2010, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heinz1218 View Post

I'm curious, because I've got a macbook pro which outputs DVI. I'm about to pull the trigger on the 608, and I was planning on using a DVI to HDMI adapter, which I already have, and plugging that into the 608 via HDMI. Why would one go from DVI to VGA, and then plug into the 608? Isn't that a downgrade only to have it upconverted again?

I think it is a bit unnecessary - going from digital (DVI) to analog (VGA) only to go back to the digital realm (HDMI to monitor), but I think the intent of the post was to point out that, if my video card gave the best performance, and I wanted to use the DVI output (perhaps assuming it had no VGA output), it was an option.

I don't think it is an ideal situation, and the original post, I think, was meant to be a possible workaround.

If you look a couple of posts above, another friend confirmed that the DVI can be converted to HDMI (all digital) and then the audio portion can be selected to be played via another digital input. This solves my problem, and should solve yours, giving you best possible picture without any conversion.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page