AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 371 Post(s)
Liked: 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmscs View Post

Hi all,

I got my 608 last week. Everything works perfectly. I just wonder if this receiver does this. When switching from 1 source to another, the receiver does not change the source automatically. Is that right?

If it does, it's got to be some auto setting that I can't find. You might shoot an email to Onkyo on that, it would be a nice added feature ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1532 of 5303 Old 06-05-2010, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

etc.

what is the etc.?
post #1533 of 5303 Old 06-05-2010, 12:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hess View Post

One thing of note is that at one point, my unit didn't click with my PS3 bouncing back and forth between mixes, I'm certain of this and I am curious if this was do to having DD5.1 enabled and not PCM.

Thanks for the help!

Try turning on the OSD (or just watching the front of your 608) to see what format its using. Home on the remote then Info/Audio. This shows the input, which will be all over the place when going through splash screens and menues etc. and the output which hopefully will be constant (or at least always have the same number of channels).

Here is my setup for my bluray input:
PCM: DTS Neo Music
Mono: Last Valid (never seem to see this from a bluray)
2 Channel: DTS Neo Music
DD/DTS/and HD versions: Straight Decode
Multichannel: Last Valid

When I'm going through splash screens and menus on the info screen (note, even when the screen goes black you can still see this output on the front of the unit) I see it constantly jumping from Multichannel to Neo Music to DD etc., but the number of channels always stays the same, because all these modes are at least 5.1 channels.

Edit: I guess I didn't actually answer you question, I just kind of told you how to trouble shoot it. I don't know I guess its possible that turning on PCM made the problem start. I don't know entirely how PCM works if it can sometimes send 5.1 and sometimes 7.1 and sometimes 2.0 if so using a setting like Direct will cause you to bounce through all those different modes.
post #1534 of 5303 Old 06-05-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warlord260 View Post

If mine had no stickers i would be losing sleep wondering if i got screwed. Like i dont lose enough sleep over everything else in life!

Meh, I'm happy it didnt have them. I just would have had to remove them anyway.
post #1535 of 5303 Old 06-05-2010, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHCYJ View Post

I don't know the 608 is aware of anything connected (or not) to the sub output, there really is no communication that goes on on that port. Which menu are you reffering to that gets reset, there are two places to set the sub and center 1. Home button on the remote then Audio/Center Level or Audio/Sub Level 2. Setup button on the remote then Speaker Setup/Level Calibration.

For me #1 is reset to zeros when I power off the unit, while #2 keeps my settings.

In my case it is #1 that is resetting, #2 never changes from what it was set to when I hooked up the mic and ran the calibration. Interesting that your center and sub reset to zero in the "home button menu", whereas mine reset to -5.0dB and +8dB.

My thought about it resetting because the sub hadn't kicked in yet is that supposedly the Audyssey setting in the equalizer automatically balances things, I guess that'd be more equalizer settings than speaker volumes though...have tried turning that off to no avail anyway...

While I'm whining though, anyone else feel like the line level out for zone 2 seems kind of quiet? That goes into my whole house audio system and I have to turn all the zones up quite a lot, compared to say, line out from an iPod...maybe it's just me
post #1536 of 5303 Old 06-05-2010, 05:27 PM

Hey guys finally got my 608 setup with a 55" samsung led 3d tv and 3d blue ray player xbox 360 and wii. I hooked up a up-a1 ipod dock and can play music but, i can not access any video. When controlling the ipod from the control i cant seem to get to a menu that will play my videos. Am i doing something wrong? The top menu i can get to jesy has artists , playlists, etc... so i'm not sure where to go and the manual doesn't really go into this problem. I know my ipod can play video it is a 2nd gen. Itouch. Please ant help would be great.

Mike
post #1537 of 5303 Old 06-05-2010, 06:09 PM

Its been a long time since I bought a receiver and could use a little help.

I just replaces my Yamaha with this unit and I cant get the Directv DVR to work and the PS3 flickers. I just get a blue screen when I connect DVR to the BD/DVD HDMI port, I connected my Roku box to that port and it worked fine so I know the port is working.

I convinced my wife that I needed a new receiver after 10 years and now she is driving me crazy so any help would be greatly appreciated.

TV: WD65734
HD DVR: HR21-100
Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR608
post #1538 of 5303 Old 06-05-2010, 06:49 PM

Liked: 12
When I turn up the volume (music) on the 608 the attached speakers (fronts and center) produce a slight static sound. Is that expected? I am using 14 gauge speaker wire with banana plugs at the receiver end. Thanks.
post #1539 of 5303 Old 06-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5145 View Post

When I turn up the volume (music) on the 608 the attached speakers (fronts and center) produce a slight static sound. Is that expected? I am using 14 gauge speaker wire with banana plugs at the receiver end. Thanks.

No static here. I'd check your connections.
post #1540 of 5303 Old 06-05-2010, 10:21 PM

i have a question before i buy the SR608. i went to best buy today and talk to a guy at the Magnolia Home Theater Section. He said they could probably match newegg's price (however i have to pay taxes). anyways he told me that they honor the manufacturer's warranty for the whole time up until the manufacturer's warranty expires (i think it's 2 years). so he basically said i can just bring it back to the store within the manufacturer's warranty and get a replacement. I also told him about the OSD bug and he wasn't aware of it and he told me that if Onkyo were to do a firmware update that they could "probably" do it in the store, thereby saving me money having to ship it to somewhere to get it updated. anyways it sounds like a bunch of bs to get me to buy it at Best Buy as it sounds like his two promises contradict each other. He also said i wouldn't get that type of "service" at newegg.

Any thoughts on this?

I'm still leaning towards newegg but if it is true i do get 6 months free of interest with Best Buy and if that would be the case i may look at another expensive receiver like the SR708 instead.
post #1541 of 5303 Old 06-05-2010, 11:44 PM
AVS Special Member

I wouldnt listen to BB, is a scam. If still under man. warranty then you will need to deal with manufacturer.
post #1542 of 5303 Old 06-06-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmer007 View Post

i have a question before i buy the SR608. i went to best buy today and talk to a guy at the Magnolia Home Theater Section. He said they could probably match newegg's price (however i have to pay taxes). anyways he told me that they honor the manufacturer's warranty for the whole time up until the manufacturer's warranty expires (i think it's 2 years). so he basically said i can just bring it back to the store within the manufacturer's warranty and get a replacement. I also told him about the OSD bug and he wasn't aware of it and he told me that if Onkyo were to do a firmware update that they could "probably" do it in the store, thereby saving me money having to ship it to somewhere to get it updated. anyways it sounds like a bunch of bs to get me to buy it at Best Buy as it sounds like his two promises contradict each other. He also said i wouldn't get that type of "service" at newegg.

Any thoughts on this?

I'm still leaning towards newegg but if it is true i do get 6 months free of interest with Best Buy and if that would be the case i may look at another expensive receiver like the SR708 instead.

BEST BUY?? Are you sure you were speaking to a BB employee? What OSD bug are you talking about ?
post #1543 of 5303 Old 06-06-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 63
BB is famous for statements like "probably" when you are shopping. These magically change to "can't" once you're a customer.

Avoid them like the plague.
post #1544 of 5303 Old 06-06-2010, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmer007 View Post

Any thoughts on this?

First of all, after 30 days, if it needs service, you'd have to get it serviced through an authorized Onkyo repair center. BB will NOT replace the unit for the duration of the 2 year manufacturer warranty. What a crock. Sure, BB will send it out for you. Also, if you add the extended warranty-THEN they'll replace it....not without.

Secondly, BB does NOT do any in-store firmware upgrades for these receivers.

This BB employee was talking out his azz.

- Chip
post #1545 of 5303 Old 06-06-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I had a weird encounter with a Best Buy employee yesterday...

But most surprisingly, I saw a HDMI cable that costed $418. Not a typo.

Actually, just as surprising was when I found out that Best Buy sends Geek Squad employees to do in home display calibrations, not anyone certified. The employee let slip the fact that they don't even have the right cables to do a real calibration.
post #1546 of 5303 Old 06-06-2010, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerowarp View Post

Your not deaf! I listen to movies around -12 to -8 depending the disc. I think reference is suppose to be at -0. My ear drums would bleed at that level. This 608 is so awesome.

I thought I was deaf, too. I kept inching it up and up until I was around -10/-5 and thinking wtf is wrong with this thing? For those not using the 'THX' method of volume display, I have to crank the 608 upwards of 65/75 to get it to sing. For comparisons sake, my old Outlaw 990/770/Klipsch setup would sing at -45/-30 and I wouldn't even think of hitting -10 on that rig for fear of ripping a whole in space time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps24eva View Post

I had a weird encounter with a Best Buy employee yesterday...

But most surprisingly, I saw a HDMI cable that costed $418. Not a typo.

Actually, just as surprising was when I found out that Best Buy sends Geek Squad employees to do in home display calibrations, not anyone certified. The employee let slip the fact that they don't even have the right cables to do a real calibration.

If you are interested, I have a bridge to sell you!

It looks like a post I made last night was eaten. Anyway, Amazon has the 7/808s up for pre-order (I didn't notice this until last night) with a ship date of June 15th (17th with Prime). I pulled the trigger on the 708 to compare with the 608.
post #1547 of 5303 Old 06-06-2010, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim hess View Post

...... For comparisons sake, my old outlaw 990/770/klipsch setup wold sing at -45/-30 and i wouldn't even think of hitting -10 on that rig for fear of ripping a whole in space time.

lol...
post #1548 of 5303 Old 06-06-2010, 03:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I thought I was deaf, too. I kept inching it up and up until I was around -10/-5 and thinking wtf is wrong with this thing? FOr thos not using the 'THX' method of volume display, I have to crank the 608 upwards of 65/75 to get it to sing. For comparisons sake, my old Outlaw 990/770/Klipsch setup wold sing at -45/-30 and I wouldn't even think of hitting -10 on that rig for fear of ripping a whole in space time.

The volume scale does take some getting used to..

For those stating that their settings change at a new power up.. it looks to me that when you run the calibration, if you change any settings, you need to lock the settings before exiting the menu. Otherwise, Audessy reverts back to the last calibrated levels. At least that's what it seems to me.. step in, any other thoughts on that, but locking the settings works for me. Calibration had my subs way to high and my center too low. I changed them and at next power up they went back to original.. went into the set up menu and locked, voila.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1549 of 5303 Old 06-06-2010, 05:47 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I have had a 676 for the last 10+ years so my surround options have been limited to good 'ol Dolby Digital and DTS..

Now, with this new 608 sitting in its place, I have to tell you I have developed a case of "tired head" trying to figure out what audio mode I am in.

Now, I have complicated this by using a FatPS3 as my BluRay (don't get mode readout on the unit's face), so after following the outstanding guide found here on AVS about the correct way to hook and setup the PS3 for full DolbyHD and DTS-MA and 96bit blah blah - now when I am using I get confused about all of the new mode options.

Can anyone point me to a place I can educate myself about the different Dolby PLII, DTS Neo, etc settings and what they are meant to do? I have a 7.1 set up with the extra two being rear surrounds.

Thanks for any assistance... And BTW, this unit sounds great with my Gallo Accoustics speaker set up...
post #1550 of 5303 Old 06-06-2010, 08:39 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petercw2 View Post

I have had a 676 for the last 10+ years so my surround options have been limited to good 'ol Dolby Digital and DTS..

Now, with this new 608 sitting in its place, I have to tell you I have developed a case of "tired head" trying to figure out what audio mode I am in.

Now, I have complicated this by using a FatPS3 as my BluRay (don't get mode readout on the unit's face), so after following the outstanding guide found here on AVS about the correct way to hook and setup the PS3 for full DolbyHD and DTS-MA and 96bit blah blah - now when I am using I get confused about all of the new mode options.

Can anyone point me to a place I can educate myself about the different Dolby PLII, DTS Neo, etc settings and what they are meant to do? I have a 7.1 set up with the extra two being rear surrounds.

Thanks for any assistance... And BTW, this unit sounds great with my Gallo Accoustics speaker set up...

Do you use DPLIIx, DTS NEO etc? I don't use any DSP at all, PS3Fat set to Linear PCM with DD and DTS turned OFF as output options (with them turned on, if you select an 'HD' audio track it will still output to DD/DTS, you need to have LPCM turned on (96) and set your 608 to multichannel, no DSP. This will give you the uncompressed audio you seek for your 7.1 setup; essentially a pure decoding (as much as it can be without applying any processing via the 608).
post #1551 of 5303 Old 06-06-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeballer View Post

Hmm.. I'm trying the VCR/Return setting with my cable box input, and it says "video processing: Use" but then pressing return doesn't do anything... so I can't change it to skip.

Edit: Nvm.. I got it... testing now..

Update: Hard for me to tell the difference with the cable input... which means one of two things.. there really isn't a degradation from the cable box, or the change is so minimal I now can't tell.. Will try again later after 24 finale.. Glad it's working for others.. means I can keep the receiver.. and use this setting if I have an issue when I get my BD player at some point soon..

How did you do it?? It says "Videoprocessor:Use" I keep pressing Return and nothing changes.
post #1552 of 5303 Old 06-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by furrito View Post

How did you do it?? It says "Videoprocessor:Use" I keep pressing Return and nothing changes.

You need to press up or down on the circular navigation pad on the front of the unit to change the option.
post #1553 of 5303 Old 06-07-2010, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunaman4u2 View Post

HDMI pass through is described on page 52... under POWER CONTROL SETTING

The Power Control setting can be set only when the HDMI
Control setting is set to On.
HDMI power control only works with ๔€‘-compatible
components that support it and may not work properly with
some components due to their settings or compatibility.
When set to On, power consumption will increase.
When set to On, regardless of whether the AV receiver is On
or in Standby, both audio and video stream from an HDMI input
will be output to the TV or other components via HDMI connection
(HDMI pass through function). When the HDMI pass
through function activates in standby mode, HDMI THRU indicator
will light.

Hi guys,

can somebody tell me how are you choosing which INPUT would be used as output (HDMI THRU) ?

For example if I have 3 x HDMI imputs (SKY, PS3, sat)

thanks
post #1554 of 5303 Old 06-07-2010, 04:05 AM

Does anyone have the message "resolution error" pop up on the 608's screen?
My set up:
608 --> LCD via HDMI
HD sat --> 608 via HDMI = work just fine.
karaoke --> 608 via components and optical = work just fine (yes I am being true to my race--Asian that is)
b ray ---> 608 via HDMI = "resolution error" message on the AVR and black screen on the LCD. I have tried changing 480p, 720p, 1080p, 1080i and through without any benefit solution. I have yet tried the VCR+Return trick.

I have scanned the whole, well at least from page 1, 17-52, without noticing anyone indicates of this same problem. I looked at the trouble shooting in the manual, which basically explains why it might happen, but without any solution.

Otherwise the audio part of this 608 connected to my B&W 683's 5.1 system sounds incredible. But I was told that my speakers need a better AVR. Is it true? This is my first system ever (not even own a HTIB before).

Much appreciated with any solution to this problem.
post #1555 of 5303 Old 06-07-2010, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cec68 View Post

Got this the other day, set it up for my 5.1 sound and ran the audyssey set up. Watched Inglorious Basterds and Avatar, everything sounding great. Well tonight I put in Tropic Thunder, started playing with the different sound modes and now my surrounds have no sound at all. Went to set up menu to calibrate speakers and when I highlight the surrounds, nothing at all. Did the audyssey set up again, and when it gets to the L and R surrounds it does nothing as if the speakers are not wired in. Yes I have changed the speakers and none of them work on the surround post. I have also reset or cleared the 608 and unplugged it. Still same problem, no sound. Can someone please help?

I had a similar problem with the Pioneer vsx-920 I just got ... not sure it's the same issue you are having but just in case, I'll mention it. I listened to a 2-channel audio / music CD and was experimenting with the various ProLogic settings on the remote. Afterwards, I couldn't get any sound out of my center, rear channels, and sub. I tried switching inputs to 5.1 content (e.g., bluray, regular DVD, and TV) but only got 2 channels on everything (the front mains). Like you, I turned the unit off / on, then unplugged it, restarted, and still only 2 channels.

Finally, I manually checked the speaker setup and discovered the receiver had developed a mind of its own and set all of the other speakers to "No", a setting which essentially means they don't exist (i.e., you use the "No" setting if you don't have back surrounds or a sub, for example). Once I turned the speakers back on, everything worked fine again.

I have since tried repeatedly to duplicate the problem and haven't been able to as yet ... tried playing the 2 channel music CD again, played with the PL settings, etc., and it hasn't arbitrarily turned off speakers again. Go figure?
post #1556 of 5303 Old 06-07-2010, 06:56 AM

For those with mysterious audio settings changing on their own, I found in the manual that any settings changed via the Home button on the remote are lost with a power cycle. That is, any settings made with the menus that are through the OSD are temporary. If you want to keep them, you must go into the full setup menu to "lock" the settings. This is detailed in the manual page 53 under Speaker Levels.
post #1557 of 5303 Old 06-07-2010, 07:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rds2 View Post

I had a similar problem with the Pioneer vsx-920 ...

Finally, I manually checked the speaker setup and discovered the receiver had developed a mind of its own and set all of the other speakers to "No", a setting which essentially means they don't exist

Had the 608 do this to me a couple of times when I was experimenting with different crossovers for my fronts, center and wide's, if you go through the whole range it will automatically turn off the surrounds (or was it back surrounds...not sure). After this happened several times I wised up and remember to enable the surrounds

Fronts: Energy Veritas V51
Front Height: Energy V-Mini
Center: Energy Veritas V52
Surround: Energy RC-R's
Sub: Energy ESW-CS8
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR3008
TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT30

post #1558 of 5303 Old 06-07-2010, 09:18 AM

Quote:

Do you use DPLIIx, DTS NEO etc? I don't use any DSP at all, PS3Fat set to Linear PCM with DD and DTS turned OFF as output options (with them turned on, if you select an 'HD' audio track it will still output to DD/DTS, you need to have LPCM turned on (96) and set your 608 to multichannel, no DSP. This will give you the uncompressed audio you seek for your 7.1 setup; essentially a pure decoding (as much as it can be without applying any processing via the 608).

Turning off DD and DTS output on a PS3Fat?

That is the first time I've heard of that...not questioning it per say but would like a further explanation of why.

I have always set my PS3Fat to LPCM using the auto-select feature, which checks off every option in the list, including of course DTS, DD, 96, etc.

You are saying it is best to not check off DD or DTS?

Very interesting.

Edit: for the record I watch blu-ray exclusively over dvd probably 99-1.
post #1559 of 5303 Old 06-07-2010, 09:24 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I'm curious as well .. since LPCM on a fatty PS3 with auto select will decode the detected format .. why disable DTS and DD .. ?

Uncle Willie

post #1560 of 5303 Old 06-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojoe74 View Post

Turning off DD and DTS output on a PS3Fat?

That is the first time I've heard of that...not questioning it per say but would like a further explanation of why.

I have always set my PS3Fat to LPCM using the auto-select feature, which checks off every option in the list, including of course DTS, DD, 96, etc.

You are saying it is best to not check off DD or DTS?

Very interesting.

Edit: for the record I watch blu-ray exclusively over dvd probably 99-1.

I know it sounds weird, trust me but when I left them checked and would select DDHD/DTSHD from the BRM (I too am BR over DVD) it would play /show on the 608 with the little red icons DD or DTS, PCM would not show up unless I unchecked those two. Are you getting LPCM with this checked? Auto select? Maybe I missed it?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page