The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR608 Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1561 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 08:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This is really starting to annoy me!

How do I get the TX-SR608 to remember my "Subwoofer Level" whenever I turn on the receiver it keeps resetting itself to +5 when I've never used that setting!

Fronts: Energy Veritas V51
Front Height: Energy V-Mini
Center: Energy Veritas V52
Surround: Energy RC-R's
Sub: Energy ESW-CS8
Reciever: Onkyo TX-NR3008
TV: Panasonic TC-P65VT30

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1562 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaR3D View Post

This is really starting to annoy me!

How do I get the TX-SR608 to remember my "Subwoofer Level" whenever I turn on the receiver it keeps resetting itself to +5 when I've never used that setting!

Just a few posts back that was mentioned a couple times .. .. you need to go back into the setup menu and lock your settings ..

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1563 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 08:31 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

The volume scale does take some getting used to..

For those stating that their settings change at a new power up.. it looks to me that when you run the calibration, if you change any settings, you need to lock the settings before exiting the menu. Otherwise, Audessy reverts back to the last calibrated levels. At least that's what it seems to me.. step in, any other thoughts on that, but locking the settings works for me. Calibration had my subs way to high and my center too low. I changed them and at next power up they went back to original.. went into the set up menu and locked, voila.

bump

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #1564 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:

Just a few posts back that was mentioned a couple times .. .. you need to go back into the setup menu and lock your settings ..

Nope, didn't work. Still reset itself

Definitely due to Audyssey calibration, just did it a few days ago and since then it's been going back to that setting.

Open audio adjust, change sub volume, open setup, lock setup, exit setup, turn off receiver, turn on...settings reverted. Am I missing a step?

post #1565 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 08:47 AM

Quote:

Nope, didn't work. Still reset itself

Definitely due to Audyssey calibration, just did it a few days ago and since then it's been going back to that setting.

Open audio adjust, change sub volume, open setup, lock setup, exit setup, turn off receiver, turn on...settings reverted. Am I missing a step?

don't press audio/home to change the volume. Change it in setup. Changes made in home menu are reset when the power is cycled.

press Setup then select Speaker setup->Level Calibration->Subwoofer
post #1566 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 08:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowNFLD View Post

don't press audio/home to change the volume. Change it in setup. Changes made in home menu are reset when the power is cycled.

That's correct.. use the main setup menu..

Uncle Willie

post #1567 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowNFLD View Post

That worked

Thanks!

post #1568 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 08:56 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

That worked

Thanks!

I was happy as well when I figured it out. It was really a drag when it reset every time. It had my 2 subs at +8 and I was afraid it would blow them.

Uncle Willie

post #1569 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Hess View Post

You need to press up or down on the circular navigation pad on the front of the unit to change the option.

Thanks, I got it.

(could the user manual be any more vague?)
post #1570 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 09:29 AM

It sounds like its best to choose one setup and stick with it on this receiver. Does anybody have any suggestions (Surround backs, Front highs, or Front wides)? Does anybody have an opinion on which setup yields the most for your money? i.e. does the front setup have more impact during movies and games than the back surround setup or vs versa? -Thanks
post #1571 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:

I know it sounds weird, trust me but when I left them checked and would select DDHD/DTSHD from the BRM (I too am BR over DVD) it would play /show on the 608 with the little red icons DD or DTS, PCM would not show up unless I unchecked those two. Are you getting LPCM with this checked? Auto select? Maybe I missed it?

I'm pretty sure my 608 does show PCM when playing a bluray off my fat PS3, even with the DD and DTS options selected.

I frequently check the output format using 'select' on my PS3 controller and it also shows DTS-MA, or DTS-HD, or whatever.

Would have to double-check the bit-rate though...can't remember exactly.
post #1572 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 10:19 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antvinman View Post

It sounds like its best to choose one setup and stick with it on this receiver. Does anybody have any suggestions (Surround backs, Front highs, or Front wides)? Does anybody have an opinion on which setup yields the most for your money? i.e. does the front setup have more impact during movies and games than the back surround setup or vs versa? -Thanks

There really is no one fits all on an AVR.. every room is different, in the way it interacts with speakers, etc. On film content, most of your sound comes from the center channel. Sound is also determined by the codex used on a DVD/BD .. Best to let the calibration software do it's job, then adjust as needed.. This unit has various built in modes for gaming, TV, etc.

Uncle Willie

post #1573 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 10:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I know it sounds weird, trust me but when I left them checked and would select DDHD/DTSHD from the BRM (I too am BR over DVD) it would play /show on the 608 with the little red icons DD or DTS, PCM would not show up unless I unchecked those two. Are you getting LPCM with this checked? Auto select? Maybe I missed it?

A fatty PS3 will decode internally and send the proper signal to the AVR. Thus, the AVR will not display what is being decoded, since it has been decoded before it gets to the AVR. A slim PS3 can be configured to either output the lossless audio in bitstream mode thus allowing the AVR display to show the codex being used or to perform the decoding and output the lossless audio in LPCM mode via the HDMI output on the PS3.

Uncle Willie

post #1574 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 10:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

A fatty PS3 will decode internally and send the proper signal to the AVR. Thus, the AVR will not display what is being decoded, since it has been decoded before it gets to the AVR. A slim PS3 can be configured to either output the lossless audio in bitstream mode thus allowing the AVR display to show the codex being used or to perform the decoding and output the lossless audio in LPCM mode via the HDMI output on the PS3.

By that logic, if the PS3 is decoding in DTS-HD would the 608 then display PCM or DTS (not DTSHD)?
post #1575 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 10:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

By that logic, if the PS3 is decoding in DTS-HD would the 608 then display PCM or DTS (not DTSHD)?

It's all decoded to PCM. You don't want to see DTS light up for your fat PS3, or else that means you would be in regular 5.1 DTS.
post #1576 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 10:47 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinmscs View Post

Hi all,

I got my 608 last week. Everything works perfectly. I just wonder if this receiver does this. When switching from 1 source to another, the receiver does not change the source automatically. Is that right?

Anyone?
post #1577 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:

Anyone?

Correct. It doesn't switch automatically. Configure the onkyo remote with your other components, or use a universal remote like the harmony.
post #1578 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 11:01 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Tim, this isn't logic, it's simply what happens with a fatty PS3. Press the display button on the PS3 when outputing a BD.. that will tell you what it's sending to the AVR..

Uncle Willie

post #1579 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marax View Post

Hi guys,

can somebody tell me how are you choosing which INPUT would be used as output (HDMI THRU) ?

For example if I have 3 x HDMI imputs (SKY, PS3, sat)

thanks

bump
post #1580 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeballer View Post

Correct. It doesn't switch automatically. Configure the onkyo remote with your other components, or use a universal remote like the harmony.

so you mean if using harmony, assuming i am watching cable TV, then when i hit play on my blueray player, the Onkyo will automatically switches to bluray instead of cable?

what harmony is the best you recommend? harmony 900?

thanks
post #1581 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 11:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marax View Post

bump

By pressing the corresponding button on the remote. I don't know if I fully understand your question ..??

Uncle Willie

post #1582 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 11:43 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

so you mean if using harmony, assuming i am watching cable TV, then when i hit play on my blueray player, the Onkyo will automatically switches to bluray instead of cable?

thanks

I've owned several over the years, currently an 890. It also has the ability to do IR and RF, so it can send signals through walls as well as behind you. etc. If you ever need that ability.

Uncle Willie

post #1583 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

thanks

Harmony's are programmed based on scenes. It will not do what you are asking, however. It will start up your system based on what you have set your scenes for. Push "Watch TV".. it will turn on the appropriate components. Push "Watch DVD" .. it will turn on the appropriate components. .. From there, you must manually switch between devices.

Uncle Willie

post #1584 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:

thanks

With the Harmony's you program "activities" - so when you press "Watch bluray" it will turn on the tv, set to the correct input, turn on bluray player and turn on receiver and set to correct input. When you're done, if you want to watch cable tv, you press your "Watch cable" activity and it will switch off bluray player, switch on cable box and switch the receivers input.

I personally have the harmony one. I didn't have a need for the RF system at this point.
post #1585 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Harmony's are programmed based on scenes. It will not do what you are asking, however. It will start up your system based on what you have set your scenes for. Push "Watch TV".. it will turn on the appropriate components. Push "Watch DVD" .. it will turn on the appropriate components. .. From there, you must manually switch between devices.

OK so the receiver will still need to change to a different func manually. I see.

thanks
post #1586 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 12:07 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

With the Harmony's you program "activities" - so when you press "Watch bluray" it will turn on the tv, set to the correct input, turn on bluray player and turn on receiver and set to correct input. When you're done, if you want to watch cable tv, you press your "Watch cable" activity and it will switch off bluray player, switch on cable box and switch the receivers input.

I personally have the harmony one. I didn't have a need for the RF system at this point.

Oh so actually it can be done! Thanks

I'll look into this remote.
post #1587 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

How many "activities" can be programmed?
post #1588 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:

How many "activities" can be programmed?

Not sure.. but a lot.. you might want to check out the harmony one thread, maybe ask there if anyone has discovered the limit.. to keep things more on topic here.
post #1589 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

It's all decoded to PCM. You don't want to see DTS light up for your fat PS3, or else that means you would be in regular 5.1 DTS.

That's my point and why I was asking based off this post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by yojoe74 View Post

Turning off DD and DTS output on a PS3Fat?

That is the first time I've heard of that...not questioning it per say but would like a further explanation of why.

I have always set my PS3Fat to LPCM using the auto-select feature, which checks off every option in the list, including of course DTS, DD, 96, etc.

You are saying it is best to not check off DD or DTS?

Very interesting.

Edit: for the record I watch blu-ray exclusively over dvd probably 99-1.

Quote:

Tim, this isn't logic, it's simply what happens with a fatty PS3. Press the display button on the PS3 when outputing a BD.. that will tell you what it's sending to the AVR..

Fact of the matter is, for my PS3 FAT, if I enable DD5.1 and DTS, along with PCM, select DDHD or DTSHD via the BR audio options both my PS3 (by hitting display) and my 608 (by reading the front display) will read DD5.1 or DTS. No uncompressed signal is being decoded/fed to the 608.

Disabling 5.1/DTS and allowing PCM output only and selecting the uncompressed audio track options via the BR audio menu and using both displays, shows DTSHD/DDHD via the PS3 display and PCM (set to multichannel) via the 608.

I'm bringing this/discussing it to see if anyone else has to disable these to get the PS3 to output properly.
post #1590 of 5285 Old 06-07-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 36
Quote:

That's my point and why I was asking based off this post:

Fact of the matter is, for my PS3 FAT, if I enable DD5.1 and DTS, along with PCM, select DDHD or DTSHD via the BR audio options both my PS3 (by hitting display) and my 608 (by reading the front display) will read DD5.1 or DTS. No uncompressed signal is being decoded/fed to the 608.

Disabling 5.1/DTS and allowing PCM output only and selecting the uncompressed audio track options via the BR audio menu and using both displays, shows DTSHD/DDHD via the PS3 display and PCM (set to multichannel) via the 608.

I'm bringing this/discussing it to see if anyone else has to disable these to get the PS3 to output properly.

I think you're getting confused with bitstream and LPCM. You dont need to disable 5.1/DTS, you just need to make sure your PS3 is outputting Linear PCM for everything, and not bitstream.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page