The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR608 Thread (No Price Talk) - Page 71 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #2101 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 09:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I highly doubt one cable will be better over another. You can use the ones that s provided
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2102 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 11:25 AM

Liked: 10
I believe I read earlier in this thread that the 608 cannot do component input to HDMI output. Is this true?
post #2103 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreventerWind View Post

I believe I read earlier in this thread that the 608 cannot do component input to HDMI output. Is this true?

It can. My Wii via component is upscaled to 1080p just fine over hdmi.
post #2104 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

You are correct.

I think the previous posting earlier in the thread was asking about
composite which is S-Video.

The 608 does not convert Composite [aka S-Video] to HDMI.

I know they BOTH start with a "C"
post #2105 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Advanced Member

So does Onkyo know about the passthrough feature not working correctly?
post #2106 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 12:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhankz View Post

You are correct.

I think the previous posting earlier in the thread was asking about
composite which is S-Video.

The 608 does not convert Composite [aka S-Video] to HDMI.

I know they BOTH start with a "C"

Hi drhankz, composite and S-Video are two different connection. Which this unit does not have S-Video.

This unit can convert analog to digital via Composite or Component (see page 21 in OM).
post #2107 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post

So does Onkyo know about the passthrough feature not working correctly?

VGI (Craig) has said that he has talked to them about TVs not automatically switching to side-by-side with DirectTV 3D content, and they are aware and working on that.

As far as the stuttering in 24fps, I don't know if they do -- only 5 people have posted so far of having the problem. A few of the posts it wasn't clear if it was the 608's fault or the TV and 1 of the users fixed the problem by switching out the hdmi cable. So its a very hit or miss (mostly miss) issue and I would guess they only know about it if one of those couple people has talked to tech support to complain.
post #2108 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:

Just to make what JChin said above even more clear...

The 608 can take ANY of its inputs and put them out over HDMI.

Page 75 in the manual has a full chart of all possible input/output combinations and up conversion resolutions.
post #2109 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 12:30 PM
Advanced Member

All of you need to call Onkyo support and tell them about the passthrough feature not working correctly and not sending the signal through untouched. I'm on with them now and they say they haven't heard of this, I told them lots of people have noticed it and they told me "we don't go by what forums say so those people need to call us then".

They told me there is NO way to get the passthrough feature untouched unless you disable all processing in the receiver which includes the new OSD. They tested it out while I was on the phone and told me this is how the designed their new chip to do this....sigh. I asked about firmware update to fix it and he said no, it can't be fixed.

This sucks. I'm on the phone now with the company I bought it from trying to do a return even though I'm out of my return window.
post #2110 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 12:37 PM

I personally haven't seen it.

Of the 5 people that saw stuttering 1 resolved it with an hdmi cable switch and I think 1 didn't have a 24fps compatible TV, but yeah I agree the other 3 that did see it should call.

It seems to only show up with certain TV's, so Onkyo needs to know which TVs they are having problems with so they can track down the cause.
post #2111 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 12:49 PM

Hope it's okay to post here......no RC-260 thread.

For anyone interested, just upgraded my yammie 5960 to the RC-260 and all seems to be working great. Took about an hour to change all the cables, hook up speakers, and run Audyssey setup. All connections are HDMI.

Spent some time tweaking and the sound and video work great. Seem to get a fuller sound than with the yammie. Tested with Avatar BluRay and the sound was awesome. Audyssey does a much better job with the center speaker than the YPAO did. Using 3 microphone placements gives much better sound to the whole room.

Setup is: Panny 54G10 Display
Panny Bd60 BluRay
Motorola DVR
7.1 speaker setup using front high (Cheap Fluance Speakers)
Harmony One Remote

No heat issues with the Onkyo but the DVR always runs hot! Only setup problem was realizing the receiver's pass thru stayed at the last input. Had to give a power down command to switch to CAB/SAT so the wife can just turn the TV on. Imagine that!

So as with a lot of 608 owners, I'm a happy camper.
post #2112 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHCYJ View Post

I personally haven't seen it.

Of the 5 people that saw stuttering 1 resolved it with an hdmi cable switch and I think 1 didn't have a 24fps compatible TV, but yeah I agree the other 3 that did see it should call.

It seems to only show up with certain TV's, so Onkyo needs to know which TVs they are having problems with so they can track down the cause.

I have the stutter as well and Onkyo tested this while I was on the phone and saw it as well and admitted to yes seeing the video stutter and drop every 10 seconds or so.

However, this wasn't really what I was talking about why you should call. I bet everybody is using HDMI passthrough and it does not send the signal untouched like it should.
post #2113 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Indy View Post

I have the stutter as well and Onkyo tested this while I was on the phone and saw it as well and admitted to yes seeing the video stutter and drop every 10 seconds or so.

However, this wasn't really what I was talking about why you should call. I bet everybody is using HDMI passthrough and it does not send the signal untouched like it should.

I've seen no problems at all with either of my units. It's gotta be something with the other components being used.

I have PS3's and moto cable boxes, never have issues with Blu-Rays or any of my streaming content which runs the gamut from 720p-1080p at all possible refresh rates.

I've disabled all processing via all the tricks in this thread and have seen no difference in picture quality or smoothness. I'd consider myself an amateur videophile as well. Maybe not as picky as some of you guys but I have "Fast Eyes" so I usually notice most defects.
post #2114 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelahess View Post

I've seen no problems at all with either of my units. It's gotta be something with the other components being used.

I have PS3's and moto cable boxes, never have issues with Blu-Rays or any of my streaming content which runs the gamut from 720p-1080p at all possible refresh rates.

I've disabled all processing via all the tricks in this thread and have seen no difference in picture quality or smoothness. I'd consider myself an amateur videophile as well. Maybe not as picky as some of you guys but I have "Fast Eyes" so I usually notice most defects.

I have owned AVRs from DAY-ONE when Lexicon delivered the 1st one in
1996. The idea of trying to get any AVR to work while it is OFF is just ----

The 608 is used in one of my THREE Theaters and I love it - it is never OFF.
post #2115 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelahess View Post

I've disabled all processing via all the tricks in this thread

It would be great it all these tricks, and all other pertinent information were in the first post of this thread

Or can someone dumb them all down?
post #2116 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhazard View Post

Quote:

Just to make what JChin said above even more clear...

The 608 can take ANY of its inputs and put them out over HDMI.

Page 75 in the manual has a full chart of all possible input/output combinations and up conversion resolutions.

Thanks for your response guys.

Looking at the chart provided in the owner manual, I realized I asked the wrong question. LOL. I have a slightly different problem.

I have an HTPC, which can output HDMI, DVI, VGA, Optical audio. I can't buy a new HDTV just yet, so I don't have a way of getting video onto my TV. (Other than DLNA devices). My current TV will only accept component.

I was hoping I could get this receiver, and have it take the input from my HTPC and display it over component, but it doesn't seem possible. I can't use HDMI, because the 608 will not display HDMI input over component. Nor will it do so for DVI or VGA.

Does anyone know of a workaround for this? Maybe there is another device I could get in the meantime that could hold me over until I get a new HDTV?
post #2117 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

\\

Does anyone know of a workaround for this? Maybe there is another device I could get in the meantime that could hold me over until I get a new HDTV?

There is a Gadget HERE
post #2118 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 04:53 PM

Quote:

There is a Gadget

Hmm, if I'm reading the website and manual right, it seems that the device only supports component going out to certain projectors. I don't have a projector, I have a 480p EDTV right now.

Am I missing something?
post #2119 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffordtheRed View Post

I am noticing something odd with my receiver. Every 15 minutes or so, the sound will cut out and it will click and the sound will come on again. The message on the receiver say "Dialog -3" or something like that. It is annoying!

I'm having this same issue, and was hoping somebody here has found out why it cuts out the sound like this? It is very annoying.
post #2120 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 06:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hmm, if I'm reading the website and manual right, it seems that the device only supports component going out to certain projectors. I don't have a projector, I have a 480p EDTV right now.

Am I missing something?

Since it is Component Out - it can not tell what device it is connected to.

Call Curt and ask him - tell him HANK Z [from NH] sent you - we are friends.
post #2121 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 08:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

bdnyc,

I believe this makes you the only one that has color banding problems. It would be nice to try an trouble shoot it to find out what is causing the problem.

I saw from some of your earlier posts in this thread you've been having HDMI connectivity problems. Have you tried switching hdmi cables? Another member thought they had a stuttering problem but it was fixed by switching HDMI cables.

Also, you say switching to a DVI cable and hooking directly to the TV makes color banding go away. How are you connecting the macbook to the 608, with vga or hdmi? If its hdmi, what happens if you connect the macbook to the TV with hdmi instead of DVI?

How am I the only one with the issue, if there are others that reported the issue before I did?

The HDMI connectivity issues are fixed by turning off HDMI thru from the hidden HDMI menu (values range from off to 15 minutes). The cables have been swapped as well to no effect. -- Seems to be an EDID issue with the Samsung C8000 I have... HDMI thru still works when the receiver turns off. Go figure.

Macbook to 608 via DVI to HDMI results in the color range not changing, HDMI from the 2010 Mac Mini & Tivo Premiere via HDMI result in color range changing. Trying to figure out why the 2 macs behave differently... may just be AVR understanding that it is a DVI source with a specific color space.
post #2122 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 08:34 PM

What exactly is the "hidden hdmi passthrough" menu. Is it possible for someone to summarize some of the ways to get apure pass through with no video processing. Thanks in advance
post #2123 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 08:51 PM

Quote:

Thanks for your response guys.

Looking at the chart provided in the owner manual, I realized I asked the wrong question. LOL. I have a slightly different problem.

I have an HTPC, which can output HDMI, DVI, VGA, Optical audio. I can't buy a new HDTV just yet, so I don't have a way of getting video onto my TV. (Other than DLNA devices). My current TV will only accept component.

I was hoping I could get this receiver, and have it take the input from my HTPC and display it over component, but it doesn't seem possible. I can't use HDMI, because the 608 will not display HDMI input over component. Nor will it do so for DVI or VGA.

Quote:

There is a Gadget HERE

I didn't look that hard at that website, but another potential option if you're going to spend 300 dollars on a device anyway might be to get the 808 instead of the 608. I believe it can process other inputs and output them on component, but you'd have to check the manual.
post #2124 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdnyc View Post

How am I the only one with the issue, if there are others that reported the issue before I did?

The HDMI connectivity issues are fixed by turning off HDMI thru from the hidden HDMI menu (values range from off to 15 minutes). The cables have been swapped as well to no effect. -- Seems to be an EDID issue with the Samsung C8000 I have... HDMI thru still works when the receiver turns off. Go figure.

Macbook to 608 via DVI to HDMI results in the color range not changing, HDMI from the 2010 Mac Mini & Tivo Premiere via HDMI result in color range changing. Trying to figure out why the 2 macs behave differently... may just be AVR understanding that it is a DVI source with a specific color space.

I guess I should have said you are the only one that currently has the colorband problem. Winston sent his 608 back.

I don't know anything about Mac's, but in windows you can pull up the display setting and it will tell you the bit depth for your color output. Maybe see if your Mackbook is different from the Mac mini? One might be set to 24bit one might be set to 32. Also might be worth seeing what the 608 is reporting as its input (Press Home then Info then Video).
post #2125 of 5292 Old 06-22-2010, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlish View Post

OSD/overlay will not work when ARC is active. A lot of people say "I want receiver with ARC *and* OSD" and don't realize you can only have one at a time. ARC basically turns HDMI cable going to TV into just another "digital audio input", so it's no longer sending anything to TV.

OK, so I tried turning ARC off, I tried turning HDMI control off, I reset the receiver and the TV to factory defaults, I tried using a different hdmi cable, I tried connecting to a different TV and nothing seems to allow me to use the OSD. Also, shouldn't I be able to connect a camcorder or a WII to the AUX in jacks on the front of the receiver and have it output through the HDMI to the TV? I'm at a loss.
post #2126 of 5292 Old 06-23-2010, 05:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I didn't look that hard at that website, but another potential option if you're going to spend 300 dollars on a device anyway might be to get the 808 instead of the 608. I believe it can process other inputs and output them on component, but you'd have to check the manual.

His problem is a non-HDMI TV - Therefore he needs something
that will TRICK HDMI. Processing Component out will NOT get
him Hi-Def Video - like Blu-Ray etc.
post #2127 of 5292 Old 06-23-2010, 06:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Can someone help an old avsforum veteran out, and list all the various techniques to disable all video processing, overlay, osd etc.?

Seriously, the only other way, is for me to literally spend hours wading through pages.
post #2128 of 5292 Old 06-23-2010, 06:27 AM

Do any of the SRs support this. Or is it an HDMI pass-through? So far I can only find Denon's that support this.

Thanks!
post #2129 of 5292 Old 06-23-2010, 06:45 AM

I sometimes use the HDMI pass through to just watch the news, everything works but I have to turn on the 608, tv and FIOS box and then turn off the 608 before the pass through will pick up. Anyone else have this issue or is there just a setting I missed somewhere? Seems I would just have to turn on the FIOS box and tv and it should start working?
post #2130 of 5292 Old 06-23-2010, 06:57 AM

Quote:

His problem is a non-HDMI TV - Therefore he needs something
that will TRICK HDMI. Processing Component out will NOT get
him Hi-Def Video - like Blu-Ray etc.

I took a look in the 808 manual, you're right. It can pass everything out on component except hdmi.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page