post #61 of 89 Old 11-07-2011, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

I have Emotiva ERT 8.3 towers and a pair of sealed 12" subs. Not sure I even need the subs since Audyssey sets the ERTs at 40hz - they are speced to 45hz + or - 2db. Very nice speaker for not a lot of $s. I'm currently driving them with an HK 3390 - nice unit but I suspect 100wpc into 4ohms can be improved on. They remind me of the Revel F32s I heard this last summer. The highs come through clean and clear without being overly bright. I compared them to my Infinity IL40s - a very good speaker with a ruler-flat response - but couldn't keep up with the ERTs. So I sold them last week.

I do plan on getting the CD player at some point down the road - I've depleted my 'bank on myself' account so I'll have to let the levels come back up! I actually spent all that and then some so the CC will get fed first. From what I've read the CD player is superb. Even makes MP3s sound better - of course I won't be playing MP3s very often.

That guy really gets into the nuts n bolts of the room correction doesn't he? I'm not a techno freak but I think what he's saying is there is work left to be done with the room correction software. My listening space isn't a tough environment so I may not even use the room correction. I'll have to see how it sounds.

I just got a shipping notice from Vann's - the 990 will be here on the 9th. I haven't been this jazzed about an audio component in some time.

Seems to be a great piece of gear. Should power just about anything out there. Also waiting for your report. You talked me into my little H/K 3390 and it sounds very good. Although not anywhere near the quality of this thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 Old 11-07-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:

That guy really gets into the nuts n bolts of the room correction doesn't he? I'm not a techno freak but I think what he's saying is there is work left to be done with the room correction software. My listening space isn't a tough environment so I may not even use the room correction. I'll have to see how it sounds.

The Room EQ software in the HK990 is the same basic S/W as that in the HK AVR7550HD/760/660. The software is superb in addressing the low frequency issues such as room nulls & peaks...
Just be patient and if at first you don't like the results run it again.
Key point is to carefully set the height of the microphone correctly..

Just my $0.02..
post #63 of 89 Old 11-07-2011, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

The Room EQ software in the HK990 is the same basic S/W as that in the HK AVR7550HD/760/660. The software is superb in addressing the low frequency issues such as room nulls & peaks...
Just be patient and if at first you don't like the results run it again.
Key point is to carefully set the height of the microphone correctly..

Just my $0.02..

Well after using YPAO,Audyssey XT and EZsetEQ in the 7550HD, my favorite was the Eq program in the 7550HD. Everything was just better in my room with it. The newer version of YPAO is much better than their older versions but in my use the H/K program was better.
post #64 of 89 Old 11-07-2011, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I have Audyssey MultEQ in an Integra DHC 40.1 prepro. With Audyssey is shut off it makes a notable difference - especially with the subs.
While I don't expect a huge difference between the 3390 and the 990 without room correction I should hear a difference with it on. I don't generally listen at high levels so 300wpc vs 100wpc won't be that difference - the room correction should. And the DACs in the 990 should as well.

Anyone think the 990 CD player would sound better than what I'm currently using? An Oppo BDP-80.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #65 of 89 Old 11-07-2011, 08:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Well after using YPAO,Audyssey XT and EZsetEQ in the 7550HD, my favorite was the Eq program in the 7550HD. Everything was just better in my room with it. The newer version of YPAO is much better than their older versions but in my use the H/K program was better.

The Room EQ software in the higher end HK products (990, 7550HD, 760, 660), the ones that use the TI DA710 processor include this software..
It was about 2 1/2 years in development in Northridge CA under the leadership of Dr.Floyd Toole..
Who I think most people are aware of Dr.Toole's contributions in the audio field.. Just google him and many awesome achievements will pop in, however now Dr.Toole has retired from Harman, and his position/responsibilities have been taken up by Dr.Sean Olive...

Just my $0.02..
post #66 of 89 Old 11-07-2011, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Anyone think the 990 CD player would sound better than what I'm currently using? An Oppo BDP-80.

The matching CD player HD990 is far superior to the Oppo for music playback.
Just be sure to use their proprietary protocol connection as it delivers a high-resolution synchronization (HRS) that ensures a jitter-free connection, when used with an HK990.

You mite want to check out the below URL..
An excellent review from the UK by Richard Black..

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/aud...-594768/review

Just my $0.02...
post #67 of 89 Old 11-09-2011, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

OK - so after bench-pressing this thing up and into the audio rack I may have to see the chiropractor - it says 44# but I think they were underestimating it. Seems like all of 50#. I hope the audio rack holds up. I hope I hold up!

Anyway a few things struck me right off - its very much like the 3390 that it's replaced - but only skin-deep. Looks are nearly identical except for the buttons on the front. No AM/FM select etc. There are a few small indicator lights I'll have to familiarize myself with in the display window. The 3390 is a lightweight by comparison but thats expected. Connections on the back are very high quality. Everything fits firm - doesn't feel like they are going to fall out easily. I use Mono-price for RCA and optical/coax connectors.

I've got it connected via coax and analog to both the Oppo 80 player and the HTPC. Comparing the two for playback I'd say the Oppo has an edge (Flac from the computer) in that music is notably less bright in the highs. The highs from the computer seem almost ragged after listening to the Oppo for a while. I did an A/B of Pink Floyd's The Wall after level matching the volumes. The differences aren't great but they are there to hear. Detail in the music comes through very clearly - and there is lots of detail in that CD. I also A/B'ed the Oppo's analog vs coax out. Similar results. Seems the DACs in the 990 smooth the highs - thats what I'm finding at first glance any ways. Analog out from the computer is crap - I've got an HT Claro 7.1 card. Equalizer is set to flat. Does very decent optical/coax output but analog sounds more like MP3s and I'm playing Flac lossless.

I did a similar A/B with the 3390 a few months ago but didn't hear the differences between the sources so readily as I'm hearing now. But those were all analog inputs. The DACs on this 990 appear to be very good - better than the Oppo 80. Thats the conclusion I'm coming up with anyway.

Power? WOW! It's got that in spades. Goes louder than I like with no clipping heard whatever and the ERTs play loud without distortion as long as they get clean power. The 990 delivers! Power should not be a problem for anyone buying this amp no matter what speakers they wish to drive. Nice feature of this amp is the processor by-pass allowing it to become part of the multi-channel HT setup - and I get to use the same speakers in that setup. No extra speakers and trying to make room for them now. Two channel/multi-channel from the same amp and speakers. Well - sorta.

It isn't fair to compare the 3390 against this but I'll just say that the 3390 is a nice sounding unit but can't come close to the 990 for power and versatility. At low levels the 3390 has good sound but even at low levels the 990 has better dynamics.

One thing that really stands out - you don't ever want to set anything on top of this amp. It's got big enough holes that something can easily drop into it. They measure .40" x 3.6". Big enough to roll a short pencil into it. And the thing gets a bit hot too. Not over so but I've only had it on for about 2 hours. Shouldn't get any hotter than it is now - I have been giving it a work out.

As for noise floor? I've tested it with the above sources - all paused - at full volume - dead silent.

As for value? I'd say well worth the $1200 I paid. I doubt I'd ever buy it for the asking price of $2000 from HK. There are a few places selling it for $1800 new. Refurbed/open box it can be had for less.

Gotta run - have to run the room correction software to see what difference that makes then re-run Audyssey through the Integra processor to allow for the new addition.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #68 of 89 Old 11-09-2011, 03:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked: 141
Quote:

Gotta run - have to run the room correction software to see what difference that makes then re-run Audyssey through the Integra processor to allow for the new addition.

Why? Aren't you using the HT Bypass?

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"
Senior Contributing Editor, Stereophile
http://www.stereophile.com/category/music-round

post #69 of 89 Old 11-09-2011, 03:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did a similar A/B with the 3390 a few months ago but didn't hear the differences between the sources so readily as I'm hearing now. But those were all analog inputs. The DACs on this 990 appear to be very good - better than the Oppo 80. Thats the conclusion I'm coming up with anyway.

Power? WOW! It's got that in spades. Goes louder than I like with no clipping heard whatever and the ERTs play loud without distortion as long as they get clean power. The 990 delivers! Power should not be a problem for anyone buying this amp no matter what speakers they wish to drive. Nice feature of this amp is the processor by-pass allowing it to become part of the multi-channel HT setup - and I get to use the same speakers in that setup. No extra speakers and trying to make room for them now. Two channel/multi-channel from the same amp and speakers. Well - sorta.

It isn't fair to compare the 3390 against this but I'll just say that the 3390 is a nice sounding unit but can't come close to the 990 for power and versatility. At low levels the 3390 has good sound but even at low levels the 990 has better dynamics.

Not a fair comparison..
The factory FOB cost of the 990 is 5x that of the 3390..

Anyway run the EQ and post back your results..
As mentioned previously when running the EQ software, make sure the microphone is @ ear height..

Just my $0.02..
post #70 of 89 Old 11-09-2011, 04:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal Rubinson View Post

Why? Aren't you using the HT Bypass?

I will be using it. Having such power on hand for the front L/R and not using it would be a shame. You've been mum on the 990 and I'd guess you've been using it for a while to get a feel for it.

Thoughts on the 990? Or do we have to read the Dec issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Code View Post

Not a fair comparison..
The factory FOB cost of the 990 is 5x that of the 3390..

Anyway run the EQ and post back your results..
As mentioned previously when running the EQ software, make sure the microphone is @ ear height..

Just my $0.02..

Yeah I know - not fair at all. But its what I have to compare it to. It isn't like I don't like the 3390 but it does have it's limitations. And I'll be using it in the bedroom 2 channel - right where it should be.

I'll run the setup program later tonight. I've been busy getting ready for the onslaught of winter. Around here it's just around the corner. This is high desert - it gets hot - it gets cold - and in between - we golf! We don't get typical Seattle type weather - we get snow - we get cold - it stays frozen around here from mid Dec through mid Feb-early March. I should have gone golfing today but I had to be here to sign for the 990. So I weatherized the motor-home and stored the Harley for the winter. Damn I hate this time of year. Everything I enjoy (except audio) is coming to a halt for a few months.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #71 of 89 Old 11-09-2011, 07:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I got the EzSet EQ ran. Took maybe 5 minutes total. I wasn't surprised that it turned my subs down so much since the ERTs cover such a wide area of the lower spectrum. I'm not sure why I need 2 subs but I use them along with 2 other subs for HT! Gets the house rockin!

The sound is now much more neutral - one could say flat - nothing gets in the way or covers subtle sounds. I'm listening to Clapton's Unplugged - Would you Know My Name. I've heard this album and this cut many times and never heard it sound better. Vocals are well controlled and there are no glaring high notes to distract. The piano in cut #6 - Nobody Knows sounds excellent. I can almost reach out and touch the keys! The ERTs are quite capable speakers and a great match for the 990.

This EzSet works great. I might keep this thing! The results are very noticeable.

I'm still somewhat surprised that the amp runs as warm as it does after an hour or so of pushing it at medium volume. I may have to think about putting a fan on top to extract the heat. It sits on top of the audio rack with nothing beside or above it - its 4' to the ceiling. My laser thermometer reads 124 F on both heat sinks.

Layla is on now. The guitar licks are great - clean and crystal clear. I think I'll rummage through my CD collection to listen to stuff I haven't heard in a while. Gonna be a long night!

Track 11 "San Francisco Bay Blues" - I'm hearing percussions I've heard before but not quite as clear as now. One of my favorites on this album - and stuff I've never heard before! Speakers? Amp? Or the combination?

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #72 of 89 Old 11-09-2011, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I got the EzSet EQ ran. Took maybe 5 minutes total. I wasn't surprised that it turned my subs down so much since the ERTs cover such a wide area of the lower spectrum. I'm not sure why I need 2 subs but I use them along with 2 other subs for HT! Gets the house rockin!

The sound is now much more neutral - one could say flat - nothing gets in the way or covers subtle sounds. I'm listening to Clapton's Unplugged - Would you Know My Name. I've heard this album and this cut many times and never heard it sound better. Vocals are well controlled and there are no glaring high notes to distract. The piano in cut #6 - Nobody Knows sounds excellent. I can almost reach out and touch the keys! The ERTs are quite capable speakers and a great match for the 990.

This EzSet works great. I might keep this thing! The results are very noticeable.

I'm still somewhat surprised that the amp runs as warm as it does after an hour or so of pushing it at medium volume. I may have to think about putting a fan on top to extract the heat. It sits on top of the audio rack with nothing beside or above it - its 4' to the ceiling. My laser thermometer reads 124 F on both heat sinks.

Layla is on now. The guitar licks are great - clean and crystal clear. I think I'll rummage through my CD collection to listen to stuff I haven't heard in a while. Gonna be a long night!

Track 11 "San Francisco Bay Blues" - I'm hearing percussions I've heard before but not quite as clear as now. One of my favorites on this album - and stuff I've never heard before! Speakers? Amp? Or the combination?

One interesting point of the EQ software is how it handles the low frequencies.. To cover a null or hole it actually pulls down each side while flattening its frequency response for that portion of the transfer function....
Rather than boosting the frequencies. This decreases the demands on DSP resources, enhancing dynamic range..

If you listen to alot of music, you should strongly consider purchasing the HD990.. A favorite CD we used in the beta testing of the HK990 and HD990 was Jennifer Warnes, Famous Blue Raincoat check out tracks #3 & #5..

Just my $0.02..
post #73 of 89 Old 11-09-2011, 08:53 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

I will be using it. Having such power on hand for the front L/R and not using it would be a shame. You've been mum on the 990 and I'd guess you've been using it for a while to get a feel for it.

If you use the bypass, you can have the EZset EQ for stereo and leave the Audyssey as-is for MCH.

Quote:

Thoughts on the 990? Or do we have to read the Dec issue?

Yup.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #74 of 89 Old 11-09-2011, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Gotta love that Eq program. It's my favorite out of the ones I've used. Sounds like you got another winner you knucklehead..
post #75 of 89 Old 11-09-2011, 10:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 View Post

Gotta love that Eq program. It's my favorite out of the ones I've used. Sounds like you got another winner you knucklehead..

Well - to quote Kal, 'yup'.

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #76 of 89 Old 11-09-2011, 10:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Pretty cool!!

Try to get a HD music from Rebecca Pidgeon – Spanish Harlem.

Do you have it?
post #77 of 89 Old 12-15-2011, 01:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hi,

I have just bought an HK-990.

My old system was:
MacMini/Pure Music/Halide Bridge USB-Spdif convertor/Peachtree Dac it/Emotiva USP-1 Pre/Parasound Halo 23 Amp.

I was using it with Room Correction File created with AudioLense 4.2 Software (Excelente Soft), using LA Convolver Plug in, into Pure Music.

I was also using the Analog 2.1 out from my Emo USP-1 Pre-amp (one of the best bargains in audio) feeding just one Sub.

The System was excelent, but I was having dificult to create a good bass sound. The mid and Highs were excelent, but the bass (my real problem for my 15ft x 9ft small room) was the problem.

I am using now, the Output of MacMini/Puremusic/Halide Bridge direct into the Coaxial input of the HK990, with no Analog Cables to worry.

Now, with the HK990's 2.2 management, the bass is Excelent. I am using now two subs, and the bass is extended and smooth.

I am using the Eq2 preset, and the Mids are very good.

The Highs are worse than my old system. I don't know why. I suspect the Peachtee DAC is better than the Dac inside the HK990 or the AudioLense Correction is better. Or maybe is the Emotiva Analog Pre-amp magic.

I am very satisfied.

Any opinion or question is wellcome

Thanks
Antonio Souza
post #78 of 89 Old 12-23-2011, 07:59 AM

Liked: 13
A great review from Kal who has written here about many different products so I think I can interpret his comments on sound quality.

I was wondering whether some of the technical or operational issues raised in the very detailed 3-part hometheaterhifi series has been addressed by harman. Or, are they minor in the overall scheme of things to the sound quality, which both reviews seem to agree is excellent.
post #79 of 89 Old 12-23-2011, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member

In another thread, Kal said he'd let us know if he hears anything from Harman. I'm assuming so far there's been no update of the issues being addressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparfan View Post

A great review from Kal who has written here about many different products so I think I can interpret his comments on sound quality.

I was wondering whether some of the technical or operational issues raised in the very detailed 3-part hometheaterhifi series has been addressed by harman. Or, are they minor in the overall scheme of things to the sound quality, which both reviews seem to agree is excellent.

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #80 of 89 Old 12-23-2011, 04:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpedris View Post

In another thread, Kal said he'd let us know if he hears anything from Harman. I'm assuming so far there's been no update of the issues being addressed.

Right. Next stop, CES. We'll see. OTOH, there's nothing that would deter me from using it if I had a need for a 2channel setup.

Kal Rubinson

"Music in the Round"

post #81 of 89 Old 01-11-2012, 09:50 AM

As I just read on Stereophile when switched on the light inside the volume knob is light blue. Mine's - European like me - is as white as all the rest, display included.
Do you confirm this?
post #82 of 89 Old 01-16-2012, 11:04 PM
AVS Special Member

When setting up the EQ using the supplied mic, how should the mic be oriented? From the listening position, should it face the general direction of the speakers or should it face up?

Thanks in advance.

Manendra

"Some folks hate the whites who hate the blacks
who hate the Klan
Most of us hate anything that
we don't understand"

- Kris Kristofferson.
post #83 of 89 Old 06-11-2012, 12:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I would face it up on a tripod.
post #84 of 89 Old 10-05-2013, 08:02 AM

Liked: 14
this is an old thread but I just picked up an HK 990. they are available as a refurb from HK for $995.00 including shipping, 30 day return. I find the sound to be very transparent and dynamic. Love the stereo separation. a nice match for my Gallo ref 3.5s.

One feature I wanted to mention that sealed the deal for me is that the home theater bypass also has pass through for two subs. This makes it very easy to integrate with my Denon AVR A100.

Trying to find the matching CD player. It seems to be sold out everywhere. I have a search on E-bay. anybody know where one might be available?
post #85 of 89 Old 10-05-2013, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon wagstaff2 View Post

this is an old thread but I just picked up an HK 990. they are available as a refurb from HK for $995.00 including shipping, 30 day return. I find the sound to be very transparent and dynamic. Love the stereo separation. a nice match for my Gallo ref 3.5s.

One feature I wanted to mention that sealed the deal for me is that the home theater bypass also has pass through for two subs. This makes it very easy to integrate with my Denon AVR A100.

Trying to find the matching CD player. It seems to be sold out everywhere. I have a search on E-bay. anybody know where one might be available?

Did you try the site below?

http://www.needledoctor.com/Harman-Kardon-HD-990-CD-Player

Good luck.
post #86 of 89 Old 10-05-2013, 09:11 AM

they seem to have it in stock but a little pricey, especially for a discontinued player. I think audiophile liquidators has them for $370 but not sure if it is in stock. I just saw a nice one go on Ebay for 300 bucks, if I would have known I would have jumped on it. Will keep my eyes open and try calling Audiophile liquidators. Just wired it up in my home theater and will be checking out how it melds with my home theater this afternoon.

thanks!
post #87 of 89 Old 01-27-2014, 05:26 PM

Just picked up an hd 990 cd player, open box, from One Call for $350. Will report.
post #88 of 89 Old 01-27-2014, 05:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon wagstaff2 View Post

Just picked up an hd 990 cd player, open box, from One Call for $350. Will report.

Great price...
I can't divulge the factory FOB cost due to being under NDA with Harman International but will tell U the dealer cost was around $825...
So U got a great deal...

Just my $0.05... 👍😉
post #89 of 89 Old 01-28-2014, 05:48 AM

They are very difficult to find, have been looking for about 4 months. One Call had just one unit. I thought list price was $699.00? Pricing in Europe was certainly different than pricing in the U.S.. I am anxious to try our the HRSII but am a little worried about the skipping issue which seems to be well reported in the forums. Hopefully I will get lucky. I do enjoy very much my HK990.

Thanks!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Harman Kardon Hk990 2x150 Watt 2 2 Channel Stereo Integrated Amplifier Black , Emotiva Usp 1 Stereo Preamplifier , Parasound Classic 2100 Stereo Pre Amp , Nad
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page