"Official" Yamaha RX-V467/RX-567 Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 589 Old 03-30-2011, 10:35 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks guys. Its dissappointing that they wouldn't have this feature. I think I will have to run a second connection between the cable box and TV and use that TV input when I want to use the tuner or dock on receiver.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 589 Old 03-30-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordlindsey View Post

The "supply" cable must go to cable box first. Then TV 'out' of the Cable box to 'In' of the Receiver, then 'out' of receiver to 'in' of TV.

What if he has no cable box?
post #363 of 589 Old 03-31-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofmyworld324 View Post

Hey peeps,

I have my laptop connected to my RX-V467 via digital rca. Anyone think its possible to upgrade the firmware by playing the audio from the laptop?

Thanks.

Were you able to upgrade the firmware from your laptop? I've just updated mine with the latest version by using my Linux machine and optical cable. Worked like a charm. I could not find with Google any post that describes the process, so if anyone is interested, just let me know and I'll post detailed instructions on how I did it.
post #364 of 589 Old 04-01-2011, 10:53 AM

Hi everyone:

I have a few questions about the Yamaha HTR 5063. I have only basic understanding of new receivers, so I apologize if some of these questions are basic.

I will be running a 5.1 speaker set up. The receiver will be connected to:

-Samsung LCD TV (2 HDMI connections, 1 optical audio)
-Denon DVD (0 HDMI connections, 1 component video, 1 optical audio)
-Apple TV (1 HDMI connection); and
-blue ray player (don't have one right now but looking to get one - will have HDMI);
-old VCR (component video).

My questions about the HTR 5063 are:

1. Am I right that the HTR 5063 is the same (essentially) as the RXV 567? I have read that comment a few times, but am not 100%.

2. I will be connecting the TV to the receiver by an HDMI cable. If I connect the DVD to the receiver using a component video and an optical audio cable, will the video and audio signals from the DVD pass to the TV through the HDMI cable or do I need to have another component cable from the receiver to the TV?

3. My TV does not have ARC. Am I right that because of this I will need to have an optical cable running from the TV to the receiver (AV4)? In other words, I would have connected to the TV an HDMI cable and an optical audio cable (and possibly a component video, depending on the answer to #2), right?

4. Will my DVD and VCR signals be upscaled/upconverted to 1080?

5. I read that the RXV 567 (and I assume the HTR 5063) do not have OSD overlay. Does this mean that every time you change the volume, change the input, etc. that the playing video on the TV screen will covered up with an OSD to show the volume, input selections? Is there a way to set it so that the OSD will not interrupt the playing volume?

6. Are there any reasons/issues that the HTR 5063 would not work for my set up?

Thanks in advance for your help.
post #365 of 589 Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wind View Post

Were you able to upgrade the firmware from your laptop? I've just updated mine with the latest version by using my Linux machine and optical cable. Worked like a charm. I could not find with Google any post that describes the process, so if anyone is interested, just let me know and I'll post detailed instructions on how I did it.

I haven't upgraded my firmware yet. I tried to play Crysis 2 on Xbox 360 in Side-by-Side-3D and it seemed to work (I don't have 3d glasses yet but it looked like it was working correctly).

I don't have a stereoscopic source yet but I plan on getting a new pc soon to play 3d content. So in summation, I don't need to upgrade the firmware yet but a quick guide on how you did it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.
post #366 of 589 Old 04-01-2011, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

have any of you tried the silent media mode for headphones? how are they for the "surround" sound? with movies and games?
post #367 of 589 Old 04-02-2011, 01:37 PM

Okay... I used to be a big audioholic and then I got old so now - not so much! So please don't hesitate to talk to me like I'm stupid here...

I have an LG550 blu-ray player with HDMI configured for "Primary Pass-Through" (which is what LG says to do for DTS-HD). Now then...

When I go under Options>Signal Info and play ANY blu-ray with DTS-HD, the receiver display flashes "DTS-HD Hi-Res" very quickly (and on rare occasions even "DTS-HD MSTR") and then just settles on "DTS" (which holds steady)...

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG . Oh... and it's only coming in at 48kHz (instead of 96kHz, which DTS-HD is to my understanding).
post #368 of 589 Old 04-02-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSecGuy View Post

Okay... I used to be a big audioholic and then I got old so now - not so much! So please don't hesitate to talk to me like I'm stupid here...

I have an LG550 blu-ray player with HDMI configured for "Primary Pass-Through" (which is what LG says to do for DTS-HD). Now then...

When I go under Options>Signal Info and play ANY blu-ray with DTS-HD, the receiver display flashes "DTS-HD Hi-Res" very quickly (and on rare occasions even "DTS-HD MSTR") and then just settles on "DTS" (which holds steady)...

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG . Oh... and it's only coming in at 48kHz (instead of 96kHz, which DTS-HD is to my understanding).

it sounds like its trying to play "DTS-HD MSTR" but the signal is being interrupted or broken. possibly the HDMI cable.
post #369 of 589 Old 04-03-2011, 06:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by ITSecGuy View Post

What DSP mode do you have selected? The manual says it can't play DTS-HD with CINEMA DSP, it will revert to DTS instead (see the note on page 29 of the 467 manual).

Quote:

... and it's only coming in at 48kHz (instead of 96kHz, which DTS-HD is to my understanding).

48kHz is normal. Almost all DTS-HD movie tracks are 48kHz, there are only a few at 96kHz.
post #370 of 589 Old 04-03-2011, 08:54 AM

Liked: 12
OK, I've tried changing all the settings on my PS3 that I've read here to upgrade the firmware on my RX-V567. Can't get it to work for anything-this is REALLY damn annoying. Yes I've hooked up an optical cable from the pS3 to the Recvr.

Made the audio CD in itunes with the latest F018 3D firmware.

Someone said they got it to work from a USB stick? How?

Need a little help here. Need every little detail and setting for those who have succeeded.

Thanx brothers

Baby, remember...It's my life and I'll do what I want!
post #371 of 589 Old 04-03-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardballpete View Post
OK, I've tried changing all the settings on my PS3 that I've read here to upgrade the firmware on my RX-V567. Can't get it to work for anything-this is REALLY damn annoying. Yes I've hooked up an optical cable from the pS3 to the Recvr.

Made the audio CD in itunes with the latest F018 3D firmware.

Someone said they got it to work from a USB stick? How?

Need a little help here. Need every little detail and setting for those who have succeeded.

Thanx brothers
when i did my upgrade i was told the older the player the better. something to do with to many filters on newer players. i took that advise and used a PS2 and it worked no problem.
post #372 of 589 Old 04-03-2011, 03:44 PM

Liked: 12
Got my hands on a simple DVD player, and it updated with NO problem!

PS3- Nothing I did would work.

Problem solved, No worries.

Baby, remember...It's my life and I'll do what I want!
post #373 of 589 Old 04-03-2011, 03:58 PM

Thanks for the reply. I can't seem to bypass the receiver and simply watch/listen to the TV without the reciever on. When the receiver is off, the screen is black and I have no sound. Turn the receiver on and everything works fine. Nothing seems to work. What am I doing wrong?
post #374 of 589 Old 04-04-2011, 10:03 AM

Quote:

I haven't upgraded my firmware yet. I tried to play Crysis 2 on Xbox 360 in Side-by-Side-3D and it seemed to work (I don't have 3d glasses yet but it looked like it was working correctly).

I don't have a stereoscopic source yet but I plan on getting a new pc soon to play 3d content. So in summation, I don't need to upgrade the firmware yet but a quick guide on how you did it would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

My TV is not 3D, so the only reason why I've tried to upgrade the firmware from D015 (that the receiver came with) to the latest was because I was hoping to solve a problem I'm having with my XBox360 not switching to 5.1 sound during start-up. Sometimes it starts properly, but other times it stays on stereo until I reboot it. Unfortunately, upgrading the firmware did not help my problem, so I guess the problem could be in the XBox360. :-(

Here goes a quick guide on how to upgrade firmware on RX-V467/RX-V567 receiver with a computer that has optical audio port. I've used my first generation AppleTV with Ubuntu Linux on it, but any other machine and/or Linux distro will do. You can even use Ubuntu LiveCD if you don't have Linux on your machine and run it from the CD without making any changes to your computer.
  1. Make sure that ALSA packages are installed by running "which aplay" command. If it cannot find "aplay" executable, just install it with "sudo apt-get alsa alsa-utils" command.
  2. Get the firmware file from Yamaha's web site and unzip the wav-file. E.g. for F018 firmware you can just run the following command:
    "wget -cv 'http://www.yamaha.com/yec/softwareupdates/RXV467_Firmware_Ver_F018.zip' && unzip RXV467_Firmware_Ver_F018.zip RXV467_FIRMWARE_F018.wav" and it will save RXV467_FIRMWARE_F018.wav file in the current directory.
  3. Find the correct port number for optical-output port on your computer. You'll need to run "aplay -l | grep -i digital" command and find the device number that corresponds to your optical-output. You should get something like this in the output:
    Code:
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC885 Digital [ALC885 Digital]

the important numbers here are the ones highlighted in bold. On your computer they might be different from mine.
  4. Connect your computer with the receiver through optical-audio cable and switch the receiver to AV1 source.
  5. Download a sample wav-file to test the connection. Do not try to play mp3 or other format files since you will only get noise in the speakers. As an example, you can execute "wget -O sample.wav 'http://www.wav-sounds.com/cartoon/homersimpson2.wav'" to get a short sample file.
  6. Play the sample by executing "aplay -D plughw:0,1 sample.wav" command. The important part here is to specify the correct card and device number that you've found in step #3. In my case "card 0 ... device 1 ..." would translate to "-D plughw:0,1" option for aplay command. If you hear the right sound in your receiver it means that everything was connected properly and you can proceed to the next step. If you do not hear the sound, check the volume of your receiver and go back to step #3 in this guide. If it still does not work, try other devices on your machine by finding them in the output of "aplay -l" command.
  7. Follow the official Yamaha's firmware update guide and get the receiver into firmware update mode.
  8. On your computer, just play the firmware file like "aplay -D plughw:0,1 RXV467_FIRMWARE_F018.wav" and check receiver's front panel. It should display "Found Header" for a few seconds and then start the upgrade.
  9. Just follow Yamaha's guide and finish the upgrade process.

I'm not sure how easy/complicated the above steps will be for you, so if you have any questions, just send them my way and I'll try to help as much as possible.
post #375 of 589 Old 04-04-2011, 08:21 PM

I have looked Through this thread and the forum and have not found my exact issue.
My Setup
Mitsubishi WD-73738 TV
HTPC Core2-e8600 NVidia 450GTS Video Centon InfiniTV Tuner
AVR HTR-5063

I can play all channels on the HTPC great but ShowTime Protected content will play for a few seconds to a few minutes then the screen will go black. A few seconds later it shows the picture again and it will then go black again and continue the mentioned on off cycle. If I change the channel to a non HDCP broadcast it plays fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Update forgot to mention. Sound going to the AVR does not cut out when the picture does and I jsut verified it is only copy protected content that has the problem. Maybe a Gifin HDMI Detective will fix this??????????????

Thank you again
post #376 of 589 Old 04-05-2011, 12:37 PM

I need to figure out why movie are not being played in Surround sound.
They are stored on my desktop but played throught the Xbox, via Windows Media center.

Haven't really started my investigation yet...but if anyone here knows anything or can point me in a more accurate direction...it's appreciated.

Thanks
post #377 of 589 Old 04-05-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:

I
need to figure out why movie are not being played in Surround sound.
They are stored on my desktop but played throught the Xbox, via Windows Media center.

Haven't really started my investigation yet...but if anyone here knows anything or can point me in a more accurate direction...it's appreciated.

Thanks

what connection are you using on your xbox? what format is the sound in dts dd?
post #378 of 589 Old 04-05-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:

I need to figure out why movie are not being played in Surround sound.

Third Line:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post20217851
post #379 of 589 Old 04-06-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zpr4mnc View Post

Thanks for the reply. I can't seem to bypass the receiver and simply watch/listen to the TV without the reciever on. When the receiver is off, the screen is black and I have no sound. Turn the receiver on and everything works fine. Nothing seems to work. What am I doing wrong?

?

Have you enabled HDMI passthrough from the Setup menu? It's off by default.
post #380 of 589 Old 04-08-2011, 01:02 PM

hi all
when i was planing to buy onkyo 709, i ordered yamaha 467 to able to buy subwoofer by the money that left in my pocket,

while i was waiting for 467 i noticed a review here, the guy says;

" Plus the biggest warning to prospective buyers is this: the subwoofer will ONLY work in
surround sound mode. I don't have subwoofer when listening to XM , CD's or FM radio. If I
had known that before I bought this receiver, it probably would have been a deal breaker for
me."

i think he does something wrong, am i right?

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_022RXV4...179&tab=review
post #381 of 589 Old 04-08-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

It probably just means he has his main speakers set as LARGE, which by definition means the sub is not used for two channel stuff. Set speakers to SMALL and the sub takes over the bass.
post #382 of 589 Old 04-09-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wind View Post

My TV is not 3D, so the only reason why I've tried to upgrade the firmware from D015 (that the receiver came with) to the latest was because I was hoping to solve a problem I'm having with my XBox360 not switching to 5.1 sound during start-up. Sometimes it starts properly, but other times it stays on stereo until I reboot it. Unfortunately, upgrading the firmware did not help my problem, so I guess the problem could be in the XBox360. :-(

Here goes a quick guide on how to upgrade firmware on RX-V467/RX-V567 receiver with a computer that has optical audio port. I've used my first generation AppleTV with Ubuntu Linux on it, but any other machine and/or Linux distro will do. You can even use Ubuntu LiveCD if you don't have Linux on your machine and run it from the CD without making any changes to your computer.
  1. Make sure that ALSA packages are installed by running "which aplay" command. If it cannot find "aplay" executable, just install it with "sudo apt-get alsa alsa-utils" command.
  2. Get the firmware file from Yamaha's web site and unzip the wav-file. E.g. for F018 firmware you can just run the following command:
    "wget -cv 'http://www.yamaha.com/yec/softwareupdates/RXV467_Firmware_Ver_F018.zip' && unzip RXV467_Firmware_Ver_F018.zip RXV467_FIRMWARE_F018.wav" and it will save RXV467_FIRMWARE_F018.wav file in the current directory.
  3. Find the correct port number for optical-output port on your computer. You'll need to run "aplay -l | grep -i digital" command and find the device number that corresponds to your optical-output. You should get something like this in the output:
    Code:
    card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC885 Digital [ALC885 Digital]

the important numbers here are the ones highlighted in bold. On your computer they might be different from mine.
  4. Connect your computer with the receiver through optical-audio cable and switch the receiver to AV1 source.
  5. Download a sample wav-file to test the connection. Do not try to play mp3 or other format files since you will only get noise in the speakers. As an example, you can execute "wget -O sample.wav 'http://www.wav-sounds.com/cartoon/homersimpson2.wav'" to get a short sample file.
  6. Play the sample by executing "aplay -D plughw:0,1 sample.wav" command. The important part here is to specify the correct card and device number that you've found in step #3. In my case "card 0 ... device 1 ..." would translate to "-D plughw:0,1" option for aplay command. If you hear the right sound in your receiver it means that everything was connected properly and you can proceed to the next step. If you do not hear the sound, check the volume of your receiver and go back to step #3 in this guide. If it still does not work, try other devices on your machine by finding them in the output of "aplay -l" command.
  7. Follow the official Yamaha's firmware update guide and get the receiver into firmware update mode.
  8. On your computer, just play the firmware file like "aplay -D plughw:0,1 RXV467_FIRMWARE_F018.wav" and check receiver's front panel. It should display "Found Header" for a few seconds and then start the upgrade.
  9. Just follow Yamaha's guide and finish the upgrade process.

I'm not sure how easy/complicated the above steps will be for you, so if you have any questions, just send them my way and I'll try to help as much as possible.

1. My Xbox 360 does the same thing. I think it happens if I turn on the receiver, then the Xbox, then the TV. So try turning the tv on then the receiver, then the Xbox.

2. I have no problem with the linux stuff but is there a reason why we can't just use a Windows machine and play the audio file in VLC?
post #383 of 589 Old 04-10-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:

2. I have no problem with the linux stuff but is there a reason why we can't just use a Windows machine and play the audio file in VLC?

Not really. I'm sure you could do that with Windows too, although I don't know how to. I just don't have a Windows machine that has digital audio-output to try to do the upgrade.
post #384 of 589 Old 04-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I have large 3-way speakers, which have a very nice low end. Would a Yamaha 467 be plenty to give me a deep response, or should I go for the 667? Config would be 5.0 ..

Thanks
post #385 of 589 Old 04-10-2011, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diaz View Post

I have large 3-way speakers, which have a very nice low end. Would a Yamaha 467 be plenty to give me a deep response, or should I go for the 667? Config would be 5.0 ..

Thanks

they both put out 105 watts per channel. the 667 is 7.1 compared to 5.1 for the 467. the 667 also has a on screen menu. if your going a 5.1 setup to 467 should suffice.
post #386 of 589 Old 04-11-2011, 06:25 AM

Quote:

1. My Xbox 360 does the same thing. I think it happens if I turn on the receiver, then the Xbox, then the TV. So try turning the tv on then the receiver, then the Xbox.

Did not have a chance to try your suggestion right away, but now I can confirm that it does the trick and switches XBox360 to 5.1 sound all the time. It still seems strange to me that no matter what I try to do (e.g changing audio settings, restarting the receiver, etc.), the XBox360 would not switch to 5.1 sound until I restart it. Weird.

Thanks for the tip!
post #387 of 589 Old 04-11-2011, 06:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diaz View Post

The 467 does not have a strong amp (it's the integrated type; basically just a large chip). Without a powered sub to take over the low bass it's going to have a hard time (although you didn't say how efficient your speakers are).

The 667 amp is significantly better, even though that's not too obvious by comparing specs. But it may still struggle if you don't have a sub and want to play loud (again, depending on what speakers you have). Adding a powered sub and settings speakers as SMALL is a big help to the amp.
post #388 of 589 Old 04-11-2011, 07:20 AM

my rx-v467 arrived,
i set up it by klispch rf62 fronts, dali concept center and dali concept 1 as rears,the sound is awesome,i dont have sub but can hear every deep bass, clear,natural sound,warm mids and live trebles, i began to like listening music again. im very pleased, going to test movie performance tonight
post #389 of 589 Old 04-12-2011, 07:14 AM

Has anyone got the 3D passthrough to work? My RXV-567 came already with the latest firmware (I checked from the service menu) but the damn thing won't passtrough 720/120Hz 3D-signal from my computer! Is there something special about the signal in terms of the hdmi 1.4 spec versus normal 720/120Hz signal? Technically the signal is not hdmi 1.4 since it's coming from Nvidia 3D Vision.
post #390 of 589 Old 04-12-2011, 07:53 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riku Naskali View Post

Has anyone got the 3D passthrough to work? My RXV-567 came already with the latest firmware (I checked from the service menu) but the damn thing won't passtrough 720/120Hz 3D-signal from my computer! Is there something special about the signal in terms of the hdmi 1.4 spec versus normal 720/120Hz signal? Technically the signal is not hdmi 1.4 since it's coming from Nvidia 3D Vision.

I just got my RX-V467 last Friday (under $200 from Brandsmart w/ free shipping) and it had the latest firmware (18), and passes 3D from my Samsung 3D player no problem.

There are definitely some quirks with getting everything to play nicely, but I think with CEC turned on on all my equipment, I think it all was working fairly smoothly last night. The setup menu does not have all the options listed in the manual, but I think that has to do with the updates.

Darren K.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V467bl 525 Watt 5 1 Channel Av Receiver Each Black , Yamaha Rx V567 Receiver
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page