"Official" Yamaha RX-V467/RX-567 Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 592 Old 05-22-2012, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Yamaha receivers get 'locked' into straight mode when receiving a DTS or DD stream. You can change the surround mode when using straight, by going into the setup or option menu. I have a 565 so it should be similar.

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 592 Old 05-25-2012, 11:54 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi mcbiidermen, make sure the BD player audio is set to output Bitstream with Secondary Audio turned Off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cravit8 View Post

I'm sorry mcbiidermen, I meant to say the manual for this receiver, although you can of course always peruse the BD-player manual ... you might learn some features or tricks you weren't aware of, plus the info normally applies to similar devices for many years. In any case, depending on how convulated the menu UI is, you might have to use the manual to find out where the audio output settings are found.

I think JChin is recommending bitstream (meaning the BD-player is decoding the audio, then outputting bitstream data) because there would be no advantage to the receiver doing the decoding, not because this would answer your question as to why could you only use movie sound modes. I may be wrong.

Hi guys thanks for the replies, had been away last couple of days.

I did notice the secondary audio option in the BD menu options, and I have turned it off.

Now I just need to go through my receiver options and setup.

I appreciate the help/advice.

Enjoy your weekends.
post #543 of 592 Old 05-30-2012, 02:26 PM

Liked: 13
I have an RX-567 and can't seem to pass a clean signal through the receiver from my Oppo BDP-93 to My Samsung T.V. I have tried all sorts of combinations, recommendations from Oppo. On advice of Yamaha, I took the receiver in for repair and they claim to have replaced the board and now I have firmware G019, but the problem still exists. Looks like an HDCP handshaking issue caused by the signal not passing cleanly through. Has anyone else had this problem too? Direct connection to the T.V. works perfectly.
post #544 of 592 Old 05-31-2012, 02:53 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibo View Post

I have an RX-567 and can't seem to pass a clean signal through the receiver from my Oppo BDP-93 to My Samsung T.V. I have tried all sorts of combinations, recommendations from Oppo. On advice of Yamaha, I took the receiver in for repair and they claim to have replaced the board and now I have firmware G019, but the problem still exists. Looks like an HDCP handshaking issue caused by the signal not passing cleanly through. Has anyone else had this problem too? Direct connection to the T.V. works perfectly.

I don't have an oppo, but I have not had this problem with any of my devices => PS3, XBOX, WDTV, Sony DVD Player
post #545 of 592 Old 06-01-2012, 06:49 AM

Liked: 13
Thank. I appreciate the feedback. I have read elsewhere in the Forums that other people have had similar problems with the RX series receivers and that included issues with the PS3.
post #546 of 592 Old 06-07-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cibo View Post

Thank. I appreciate the feedback. I have read elsewhere in the Forums that other people have had similar problems with the RX series receivers and that included issues with the PS3.
I have PS3 (not the slim one) and have no issues.
post #547 of 592 Old 06-08-2012, 03:27 AM

I'm having an issue with the 467.

If connect the HDMI from laptop to receiver, it crashes my computer.
Works well on everything else.
post #548 of 592 Old 06-24-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper_1 View Post

Yamaha receivers get 'locked' into straight mode when receiving a DTS or DD stream. You can change the surround mode when using straight, by going into the setup or option menu. I have a 565 so it should be similar.

Hello everyone. Since yesterday every time I played a movie with Dolby or DTS I could see the title in the display, however today I'm always seeing STRAIGHT, I don't understand why, does this mean that I can't hear sourround 5.1 Dolby or DTS sound?, how can I fix this problem?.
Thank you everyone.
post #549 of 592 Old 07-27-2012, 09:00 AM

Hello. Could nobody help me with this issue?. Thank you very much.
post #550 of 592 Old 07-28-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by calvorota View Post

Hello everyone. Since yesterday every time I played a movie with Dolby or DTS I could see the title in the display, however today I'm always seeing STRAIGHT, I don't understand why, does this mean that I can't hear sourround 5.1 Dolby or DTS sound?, how can I fix this problem?

Push the INFO button on the remote to change what's displayed on the front panel. STRAIGHT means it's decoding the input (Dolby, DTS, etc.) but it's not applying any other processing. STRAIGHT is often the mode you want, but pressing INFO will show you other information about the input.
post #551 of 592 Old 07-30-2012, 08:28 AM

Yes you are right. In fact if I push INFO button you can see Dolby or DTS, depending on the source. However, it's an extrange behaviour as before you could see directly the name of the codec instead of STRIGHT. But if you say it doesn't matter , I will not give it more importance.
Thank you for replying
post #552 of 592 Old 09-27-2012, 07:33 AM

Help!! I posted on here about 7 months ago about throughput lag on the hdmi`s I have a Ps3 and Xbox360 and both of them lag if I use the HDMI through? If I connect My Xbox straight to the tv and use optical its fine becuase the Xbox only does Dolby Digital anyway, but alot of the Ps3 games are in DTS! it now seems the that the HDMI throughput on amp is no good if your a gamer.

I have tried all different settings in the menu but all seem to change nothing? I would of thought the (Through) settings would not do any kind of processing but who knows? I think the Amp is great for the money and really dont want to have to buy something else.

Any ideas any one?

Thanks
post #553 of 592 Old 09-27-2012, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzarelli47 View Post

Help!! I posted on here about 7 months ago about throughput lag on the hdmi`s I have a Ps3 and Xbox360 and both of them lag if I use the HDMI through? If I connect My Xbox straight to the tv and use optical its fine becuase the Xbox only does Dolby Digital anyway, but alot of the Ps3 games are in DTS! it now seems the that the HDMI throughput on amp is no good if your a gamer.
Thanks

Likely not much help but we have a Wii and Xbox connected to our unit and I don't notice any lag. Are you talking about audio or video lag? If it's audio lag, trying setting the audio output to "straight" so there is no processing of the output. When using the Xbox, I have it set to straight and the sound works well.
post #554 of 592 Old 09-27-2012, 08:11 AM

Its Video Lag! I play a lot of Battlefield 3 and its fine through optical but soon as I put it through HDMI I can see the delay between me moving the controller and the movement on screen?
post #555 of 592 Old 09-27-2012, 08:14 AM

I assume you mean when you use HDMI for video and optical for audio you get no lag? Like I said, it's possible the unit delays the video output while processing audio. Try the 'direct' setting, this does not processing to the HDMI audio, it might reduce delay.
post #556 of 592 Old 09-27-2012, 08:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:

I have tried all different settings in the menu but all seem to change nothing? I would of thought the (Through) settings would not do any kind of processing but who knows? I think the Amp is great for the money and really dont want to have to buy something else.

Just off the top of my head...
I can definitely understand needing to get rid of lag. It would help if you replied with the details wcg66 asked for and at least ref link your previous post.
Before you let yourself go crazy, consider getting the Disney WoW Blu-Ray, it has a A/V Sync Test feature on it.
Monoprice has a kit with the Blu-ray, 2x hdmi cables, scree, cleaning spray, lint-free cloth for about $40 (PID 9498).
Or you might be able to get the WoW locally.

That being said, I have the WoW disc but haven't used it yet. I was planning on doing it this weekend and I could PM you my results.

Finally, assuming you are using HDMI, the RX-As HQV doesn't anything to the HDMI inputs, so the problem is either
A) your TV
B) faulty RX-A

I could always be wrong.

PSN: Cravit8
XBL: oOo_Crav_oOo
post #557 of 592 Old 09-27-2012, 08:23 AM

Thanks for some ideas chaps! Its been bugging me for ages I dont feel I am getting the most out of my amp using opticals and it ruins my kill to death ratio over hdmi lol maybe a revisit of my Hdmi leads is needed?

setup is
Ps3 Slim
Xbox250gb slim
Lg 42LM620t TV

Ah! Would Arc settings between the tv and amp change anything?
post #558 of 592 Old 09-27-2012, 08:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for some ideas chaps! Its been bugging me for ages I dont feel I am getting the most out of my amp using opticals and it ruins my kill to death ratio over hdmi lol maybe a revisit of my Hdmi leads is needed?
setup is
Ps3 Slim
Xbox250gb slim
Lg 42LM620t TV
Quote:

setup is
Ps3 Slim
Xbox250gb slim
Lg 42LM620t TV

To put bluntly, you're still leaving us playing the assuming game, which is not going to help you in the long term. If we have to guess that when you say "optical" you mean ARC, then how many other items are we to assume?
You could power everything down and re-seed your HDMI cables if you wish, but I'm 99% sure it won't change anything.

I play BF3 on Xbox Slim>HDMI>RX-A2000>HDMI>Samsung PN58C680 (2010 plasma model). There is no ARC on the HDTV, I have ARC disabled on the RX-A2000, and I have NO lag (I would say ZERO lag, but I am not a professional gamer to know and zero lag may be a physical impossibility anyway.

Sound is played through RX-A2000>speakers or RX-A2000>headphone jack behind front cover.

Are you saying you are using the HDMI through while RX-A is on standby? I have actually never used this, I cannot ever imagine having a use for that feature, and I definitely don't know how/why that feature would be used while gaming.

BTW, hit that amazing blue-led PURE DIRECT button on the front and see what happens.

post #559 of 592 Old 09-27-2012, 09:03 AM

But If I use Direct it switches the decoder off and I have no sound?
post #560 of 592 Old 09-27-2012, 09:08 AM

Ok I am being a pain in the arse now lol got the sound working on Direct (you may be on to something here lol) what sound format is it running on direct? is it just upmixed ?
post #561 of 592 Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Ok I am being a pain in the arse now lol got the sound working on Direct (you may be on to something here lol) what sound format is it running on direct? is it just upmixed ?

hahaha, man, direct is direct! wink.gif
PURE and RAW unfiltered honey straight from the bee hive
as in, no processing, no upmixing, no downmixing, no muxing,
In other words, if your play a Blu-ray movie that has 7.1 surround, it will directly shoot that sound to the available speakers. If you only have 2.1 setup, then you would not hear any dialog because most dialog goes to the center channel. If you have a 5.1 speaker system, you will hear 5 of the 7 channels, that last 2 would be Rear/Back surrounds.
PURE Direct will pump sound to the speakers available.
I don't think you could use PURE Direct with a 7.1 BD movie to a 2.1 speaker setup. I think that is where the 2 channel mode is a must.

You should do yourself a knowledge favor and read up a bit on your manual. Actually start with the OP to see what general features it has, then use the manual to reference each feature. I'm still doing this. It will be provide relief from AV anxiety for a decade until some new technology renders it all useless.

post #562 of 592 Old 09-27-2012, 10:28 AM

Thanks for all the advise, your right I should read the manual but being a man its one of those last things to do lol!

Cheers see you on the Battlefield
post #563 of 592 Old 09-27-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:

It's worth saying that you're not losing any audio quality using optical for games. As far as I know games are not providing DTS MA or DD HD uncompressed audio, at least not from the PS3 or Xbox. You could easily leave the optical sound input for the consoles and not be suffering any audio quality. The Toslink connection is as good as HDMI for DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1, nothing to worry about.
Cravit8 likes this.
post #564 of 592 Old 09-28-2012, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcg66 View Post

It's worth saying that you're not losing any audio quality using optical for games. As far as I know games are not providing DTS MA or DD HD uncompressed audio, at least not from the PS3 or Xbox. You could easily leave the optical sound input for the consoles and not be suffering any audio quality. The Toslink connection is as good as HDMI for DTS 5.1 and DD 5.1, nothing to worry about.

Many of us assume this is widely known, but the younger crowd (or older unexperienced) think HDMI trumps all.
Digital sound via optical (Toslink, SPDIF) was widely used before HDMI, so it should be common sense that HDMI cannot make the digital DTS and DD be MORE digital. wink.gif
Toslink did 6.1 on my 2004 Yamaha HTIB fine...with any movie that had 6.1.

I actually have to do some reading now because without research I would assume Toslink can do DTS MA & DD HD.

post #565 of 592 Old 09-29-2012, 07:11 AM

The HDMI output on game consoles is superior (I know for sure on the ps3). Because HDMI can pass 7 channel PCM instead of a compressed DTS or DD stream.

If the game uses the rear channels for dialog it is very noticeable.
post #566 of 592 Old 09-30-2012, 09:25 AM

The tuner (radio) on my V567 hasnt worked for a long time. I get no sound at all on that input, not even static. Any idea what I can do to get it working again?

edit: I thought about deleting this post but I figured this might help someone. Make sure your antenna is plugged in, mine wasnt. smile.gif
post #567 of 592 Old 10-31-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewsgrp View Post

Two questions

1) Does Yamaha 467 play AAC 6 channel correctly? Will the sound distribute to right channels? I need to encode to AAC 6 channels because Xbox does not support AC3 for mkv. I have to encode my mkv's to mp4 with aac 6 channel audio.
Thanks

Can someone reply? AAC shows as PCM when I play and its 2 channels only. Is there are setting to get Yamaha to play AAC?
post #568 of 592 Old 11-07-2012, 07:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can someone reply? AAC shows as PCM when I play and its 2 channels only. Is there are setting to get Yamaha to play AAC?

Hey cnewsgrp,
FIRST, are you asking because your manual doesn't say what formats this AVR does? I don't know off the top of my head, sorry.
SECOND, when I look at http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-360/settings-and-initial-setup/watch-dvds-movies I don't see MKV anywhere, which means the only way an Xbox 360 will play MKV is to stream it using WMC with additional codecs.

I was looking at that xbox page for my owns purposes just yesterday only to find out the xbox won't copy a movie to its internal hard drive from a usb drive (which the PS3 will). The Xbox 360 just blows as a media center and I don't know why, I am not a super fan of any console, but the PS3 handles media content better.

post #569 of 592 Old 11-14-2012, 09:06 AM

I stream from WMC. my mkv files play well. You need to have haali media splitter and ffempeg installed on the PC. The only problem is when the audio is AAC. Yamaha displays that as bitstream and only plays 2 channels - even if AAC is 6 channels
post #570 of 592 Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I stream from WMC. my mkv files play well. You need to have haali media splitter and ffempeg installed on the PC. The only problem is when the audio is AAC. Yamaha displays that as bitstream and only plays 2 channels - even if AAC is 6 channels
I sent you a PM; didn't want to hijack the thread

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V467bl 525 Watt 5 1 Channel Av Receiver Each Black , Yamaha Rx V567 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V567 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page