post #31 of 589 Old 05-23-2010, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighdefJoe View Post

How are the amps on the 567 compared to the older 661 model? I have a 661 getting fed pcm from the PS3 and it sounds great! Passes 1080p without fail. I just wanted a new Yamaha that upconverts all signals to HDMI so that we can play the wii on the projector. I only have an HDMI going to the PJ right now as I didn't want to look for that long of a component cable. I didn't get the last gen Yamaha because they got poor reviews for amp power. Thanks

If you compare the weight, and power consumption from the manual to the prior models in the same price category, I believe you will see no evidence of improved power.

You would have to step up the ?67, which is whatever receiver will come out this fall, and put out more power than the current 665 and related models.

The 765 is the current "step up" model in terms of power, as I recall. You can see this by comparing cabinet sizes, weights, and power consumption in the current x65 line. I posted a thread on that once, I will see if I can find it.

"But this one goes up to 11"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 589 Old 05-23-2010, 06:30 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 388
The 567 consumes 270 watts, weighs 18.7 lbs.
The 665 consumes 270 watts, weighs 18.7 lbs.
The 765 consumes 400 watts, weighs 24.3 lbs.

The 765 would be the way to go if you want more power. It can be had every Saturday from Newegg for less than $400. Plus it has preouts for an external amp if you ever need more power. The 567 doesn't give you that option.

Afro GT
post #33 of 589 Old 05-23-2010, 06:44 PM
SVM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Folks, when I see rear view of the 467 and 567, there is a "audio out" with spereate L & R channels beneath the speaker connectors. When using HDMI as audio source can these be used for connecting to an external Headphone amplifier? There wont be any speaker connected to the main speaker connectors. Thx
post #34 of 589 Old 05-23-2010, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

According to the manual, the audio out jacks you are talking about only send audio from analog inputs. So they won't work like you want.

Looks like you would need to wait for the fall release for real pre outs, or find another solution (such as using a speaker to line level converter.)

post #35 of 589 Old 05-28-2010, 02:32 PM

on 467 model there is an option to change the frequency of speakers , but not independently , I need to get a sub with a preamp built on, my budget is minimal I'm looking at a Sony at 100w at 6 ohms. My question is can I use this set up, when the rest of speakers are 100w 8ohms, leaving the receiver set at 8ohms since the rest of speakers are 8ohms,would it work , will it damage anything, any help would be really really appreciated.
Thanks for help
post #36 of 589 Old 05-29-2010, 09:04 AM

the price on amazon went up for the RX-567 and that's the one i wanted(it's over 100 more than what you guys advertised). Now the RX-v665 is on sale for cheaper than the 567.

would you guys go for the v665 instead of the newer 567. AMazon has it for 100 dollars cheaper.

comparison

http://www.yamaha.com/yec/compare/De..._items=5028057
post #37 of 589 Old 06-06-2010, 09:44 PM

Hey guys,
I have the 467 along with a new Samsung 58" plasma 3D TV and a new Samsung bd-c6900 3D blueray player. The Yamaha needs to have the firmware upgraded to play 3D, and the firmware upgrade was just released by Yamaha.
[url="http://www.yamaha.com/yec/products/productdetail.html?CNTID=5117274&CTID=5000300&RLTID=1505&DETYP=RELATION#"]

But I can't find my way through Yamaha's convoluted firmware upgrade process. They have you copy a .wav file to a CD, and then play the CD through the optical input on the 467 while it's in update mode. But they warn of two pitfalls. First, they say "Conventional CD burning software is recommended. An audio CD burned by Windows Media Player may not work." I used itunes on a mac to burn the disc.

Secondly, they warn that the process doesn't work with all CD playback devices. The warning on the Yamaha instructions says: "Some DVD players use digital filters, which affects the output signal of the devices. the firmware update will not work with DVD players which use these digital filters. CD players usually do not use these filters, so using a CD player is preferred."

I have tried playing the cd using my new samsung DVD player, my 6-month old Sony blueray DVD player, and a 10-year old panasonic CD-only player. I'm pretty sure the panny can't deal with the CD-R disc. The two DVD players appeared to be playing it fine. but in both cases, the Yamaha couldn't interpret what it was being fed. I can't fathom how an average consumer would find their way through this maze...

Can anyone help?
post #38 of 589 Old 06-07-2010, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poster72 View Post

well, unfortunately im already planning on returning the 467.

hooked up a samsung blu ray after returning an LG that had issues playing blu rays. video/audio woudl hiccup every 10 seconds or so. the samsung did the same. after connecting straight to the tv i noticed its the receiver. and it only hiccups when streaming 1080p at 60fps. if i drop to 24fps, all is well.

spoke to yamaha and they were of no help whatsoever, to the point of being very frustrating. no firmware udpates for months they say. which seems reasonable as it just came out. my fault for buying an untested product. suckin. probably going to step up and buy a real receiver i guess.

i bought from amazon, not sure what to do now. but this wont do.

I checked the manual online and the receiver claims compatibility with 1080p at 24Hz, and 60 Hz so I would think that the 467 should play 1080p and 60 fps. What television are you using?

Mark
post #39 of 589 Old 06-07-2010, 08:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmcfadden View Post

The Yamaha needs to have the firmware upgraded to play 3D, and the firmware upgrade was just released by Yamaha.
... But I can't find my way through Yamaha's convoluted firmware upgrade process.

The process used to be simple when the burning software and the players just left the data alone, but today you have to be a bit careful. Windows media player can be used to burn the disc if you make sure to turn off the option to "apply volume leveling..." (it's in Burn Options). I've used this many times on older Yamahas, and they've kept the same .wav format for the new models.

You might also find this post useful. The disk was burned on a Mac, and played through a PS3. But most CD or DVD players should work as long as they don't change the sampling rate from the original 44.1kHz (if a player has any option to upsample, be sure to turn it off).

Once you get this working I'll be interested to know if the 467 passes 3D as advertised.
post #40 of 589 Old 06-07-2010, 09:24 PM

I really really need some help, My AV/R supports all the new HD formats on blu rays movies, I'm using a PS3 as a player, everything is connected via HDMI, my setting for audio out on PS3 are DTS 5.1 DD 5.1, by default LPCM 2.0 AT 44 and canot remove manually , LPCM 5.1 also at 44 rate , my AV/R signal info coming from PS3 is stating PCM 2.0 CH, bitrate and 3lines, then if I look forward on signal info 2/0/0000 or something like that. Does this mean that is not decoding or passing the actual DD TRUE HD, or DTS HD MASTER fom the movies , which is the reason I got this model , is there any way I can solve this problem. What would happen if I use optical out on PS3 to receiver would it be sending PCM signal also . Need help ASAP please , please
my speakers are kenwood 8 ohms 100w 5.1 , also not sure if this matters I do not have a sub connected yer
Thanks for your help and time
post #41 of 589 Old 06-08-2010, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztlan67 View Post

I really really need some help, My AV/R supports all the new HD formats on blu rays movies, I'm using a PS3 as a player, everything is connected via HDMI, my setting for audio out on PS3 are DTS 5.1 DD 5.1, by default LPCM 2.0 AT 44 and canot remove manually , LPCM 5.1 also at 44 rate , my AV/R signal info coming from PS3 is stating PCM 2.0 CH, bitrate and 3lines, then if I look forward on signal info 2/0/0000 or something like that. Does this mean that is not decoding or passing the actual DD TRUE HD, or DTS HD MASTER fom the movies , which is the reason I got this model , is there any way I can solve this problem. What would happen if I use optical out on PS3 to receiver would it be sending PCM signal also . Need help ASAP please , please
my speakers are kenwood 8 ohms 100w 5.1 , also not sure if this matters I do not have a sub connected yer
Thanks for your help and time

The PS3 can only send LPCM (already decoded DTS MA or Dolby True HD) not HD audio in bitstream format and as a result purchasing a receiver that can internally decode HD audio is not neccessary. Using optical out would limit the audio to DTS or Dolby Digital.

Mark
post #42 of 589 Old 06-08-2010, 06:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSmith View Post

The PS3 can only send LPCM (already decoded DTS MA or Dolby True HD) not HD audio in bitstream format and as a result purchasing a receiver that can internally decode HD audio is not neccessary. Using optical out would limit the audio to DTS or Dolby Digital.

Mark

Hi Mark, it depends which PS3 the OP has, PS3 Phat (set to LPCM) or PS3 Slim (set to Bitstream or LPCM).
post #43 of 589 Old 06-08-2010, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Mark, it depends which PS3 the OP has, PS3 Phat (set to LPCM) or PS3 Slim (set to Bitstream or LPCM).

He said PS3 not PS3 slim and as a result I answered accordingly.

Mark
post #44 of 589 Old 06-08-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:

Mark

Ok thanks, one last question if LPCM is decoding the HD formats why I get on the receiver display that is only 2 channels instead 5.1 , and sows PCM instead DD OR DTS, when i change the setting on PS3 for the BD/DVD to bit stream the receiver shows all channels and DTS or DD, would that make a difference in sound quality
Thanks
I also read this info on the PS3 thread -Thus, to get the full advantage from the superior performance from the high resolution audio formats offered on BD, as compared to DVD, you must connect your PS3 to an AVR that has HDMI inputs. If you are using one of the orginal models of the PS3 (i.e., not the PS3 Slim) then the AVR must accept multichannel LPCM via a HDMI input (most AVRs that have HDMI inputs can do this except for a very few low-end models)

Does this means my receiver is not accepting LPCM signal
Thanks again
post #45 of 589 Old 06-08-2010, 07:39 PM

Liked: 11
Bought the 467 over the weekend to replace an old freebee Pioneer VSX-D608 with a lost remote. Just upgraded the firmware without a hitch. I'm still using an LG 30" CRT that is 1080i so can't comment on the 1080p problem. So far so good - and sounds good with my Klipsch Reference IV's (RF-62s, RC-62s, RS-52s) and Sub12 powered subwoofer.

Aztlan67 - make sure in one of the HDMI menu settings on the receiver you don't have it set to AMP + TV. For some reason I did and I was also stuck in two channel mode. Think I changed it to just AMP and finally got DTS-HD Master Audio back.

David
post #46 of 589 Old 06-08-2010, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsettlemoir View Post

Bought the 467 over the weekend to replace an old freebee Pioneer VSX-D608 with a lost remote. Just upgraded the firmware without a hitch. I'm still using an LG 30" CRT that is 1080i so can't comment on the 1080p problem. So far so good - and sounds good with my Klipsch Reference IV's (RF-62s, RC-62s, RS-52s) and Sub12 powered subwoofer.

Aztlan67 - make sure in one of the HDMI menu settings on the receiver you don't have it set to AMP + TV. For some reason I did and I was also stuck in two channel mode. Think I changed it to just AMP and finally got DTS-HD Master Audio back.

David

dsettlemoir R U using a PS3 as a player? , how exactly is your set up for HDMI
on your receiver, is your display showing DTS-HD or PCM with multiple channels showing
Thanks
post #47 of 589 Old 06-08-2010, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:

I'm using a PS3 as a player, everything is connected via HDMI, my setting for audio out on PS3 are DTS 5.1 DD 5.1, by default LPCM 2.0 AT 44 and canot remove manually , LPCM 5.1 also at 44 rate ,

Did you also go into the PS3 Video Settings under "BD/ DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI)" and set it to Linear PCM? (if not do that also)
post #48 of 589 Old 06-09-2010, 06:24 AM

Quote:

Ok thanks, one last question if LPCM is decoding the HD formats why I get on the receiver display that is only 2 channels instead 5.1 , and sows PCM instead DD OR DTS, when i change the setting on PS3 for the BD/DVD to bit stream the receiver shows all channels and DTS or DD, would that make a difference in sound quality
Thanks
I also read this info on the PS3 thread -Thus, to get the full advantage from the superior performance from the high resolution audio formats offered on BD, as compared to DVD, you must connect your PS3 to an AVR that has HDMI inputs. If you are using one of the orginal models of the PS3 (i.e., not the PS3 Slim) then the AVR must accept multichannel LPCM via a HDMI input (most AVRs that have HDMI inputs can do this except for a very few low-end models)

Does this means my receiver is not accepting LPCM signal
Thanks again

LPCM is HD audio already decoded by the PS3 (in your case). Likely your receiver would show PCM, MPCM or LPCM on the front panel not DTS MA or Dolby True HD as these indicators usually only illuminate when the receiver is doing the decoding of the signal. If the receiver says PCM and all channels are active in straight mode then you are receiving HD audio as you want to be. If your receiever shows PCM and only 2 channels are active in straight mode your PS3 needs settings changed.

Mark
post #49 of 589 Old 06-09-2010, 07:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by poster72 View Post

hooked up a samsung blu ray after returning an LG that had issues playing blu rays. video/audio woudl hiccup every 10 seconds or so. the samsung did the same. after connecting straight to the tv i noticed its the receiver. and it only hiccups when streaming 1080p at 60fps. if i drop to 24fps, all is well. .

Have you tried a higher guage HDMI cable??

HT: Yamaha RX-V565 | 3 X Energy Take FPS, 2 X VS Surround, 2 X Take LCR | DIY Subs: SDX12 APR15 & TRIO12 Dual APR 12's | 47" LCD

Music: Yamaha RX-V863 | 2 X Energy RC-70 | MA RXw12 Sub

Bathroom: 2 X Energy Take LCR

Car: Sony Xplod HU, Xplod 6X9s, Kenwood 4"s, Alpine 12" Type-S, Rockford Amp,...

post #50 of 589 Old 06-09-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:

LPCM is HD audio already decoded by the PS3 (in your case). Likely your receiver would show PCM, MPCM or LPCM on the front panel not DTS MA or Dolby True HD as these indicators usually only illuminate when the receiver is doing the decoding of the signal. If the receiver says PCM and all channels are active in straight mode then you are receiving HD audio as you want to be. If your receiever shows PCM and only 2 channels are active in straight mode your PS3 needs settings changed.

Mark

Mark you have been great helping me to understand all this new terms , finally I got it, is working awesome.
Thanks everybody , probably will be back asking more questions on other issues if they come up
post #51 of 589 Old 06-11-2010, 08:21 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 20
does the RX-V567 do multichannel (8) lpcm over hdmi?
does it do post proccesing effects for lpcm? for example, turning a 5.1 source into 7.1.
post #52 of 589 Old 06-11-2010, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Addicted Member

Yes it does MPCM over HDMI. That's basic functionality of any HDMI receiver which is not HDMI switching only.

Not sure about post processing. You can download the manual to check. I would be shocked to learn any recent Yamaha model could not apply post processing to MPCM, seeing how that's easier for a DSP than apply PP to bitstream.

post #53 of 589 Old 06-11-2010, 08:03 PM
Advanced Member

thank you MichaelJHuman, im just searching for a new reciever to get a replacement for the v661 which is an amazing reciever. i just need something that will do 3d. im guessing my old rx-v661 wont do it. whats everyones general idea of the 567 and 3d? any glitches found? im using a ps3 and the 3d tv will come sometimes next year. one more feature that the ps3 offers that im not so familar with is BD 1080p 24 Hz Output. will the 567 pass it thru?
post #54 of 589 Old 06-11-2010, 08:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsobright View Post

thank you MichaelJHuman, im just searching for a new reciever to get a replacement for the v661 which is an amazing reciever. i just need something that will do 3d. im guessing my old rx-v661 wont do it. whats everyones general idea of the 567 and 3d? any glitches found? im using a ps3 and the 3d tv will come sometimes next year.

A smart buyer might wait till the 3D TV is in the house, then consider a current AVR to match it. A lot can change in a year. Your 661 is a great amp, enjoy it for now. The 567 can't touch it.
post #55 of 589 Old 06-11-2010, 11:16 PM

Can someone tell me about this topic I read. LFE, subwoofers and interconnects explained thread .
When outputting a PCM multichannel bitstream over Denon Link, i.Link, HDMI or similar, the LFE channel will be transmitted "as-is", and will need boosting by 10dB in the receiver. The receiver should do this automatically. If it fails to do this before performing bass management, then you will be unable to calibrate the system correctly - boosting the subwoofer to compensate will have the side effect of over-emphasising bass from other channels.
Does anybody knows if RX-V467 receiver will boost the LFE 10db when receiving PCM signal, if not what would be the effect on the sound performance
Thanks
post #56 of 589 Old 06-11-2010, 11:37 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

A smart buyer might wait till the 3D TV is in the house, then consider a current AVR to match it. A lot can change in a year. Your 661 is a great amp, enjoy it for now. The 567 can't touch it.

thank you for the advice, i will consider a new tv before the reciever. but can you explain why YOU think that the 661 is better than 567? thanks again.
post #57 of 589 Old 06-12-2010, 05:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notsobright View Post

thank you for the advice, i will consider a new tv before the reciever. but can you explain why YOU think that the 661 is better than 567? thanks again.

The 661 has a far better amp section. The 567 uses an "amp-on-a-chip" like you would find in a boom box.

Quote:

Can someone tell me about this topic I read. LFE, subwoofers and interconnects explained thread .

Does anybody knows if RX-V467 receiver will boost the LFE 10db when receiving PCM signal, if not what would be the effect on the sound performance
Thanks

All Yamaha AVRs correctly handle M-ch LPCM and LFE over HDMI.
post #58 of 589 Old 06-12-2010, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post

The 661 has a far better amp section. The 567 uses an "amp-on-a-chip" like you would find in a boom box.

All Yamaha AVRs correctly handle M-ch LPCM and LFE over HDMI.

Awesome. Thanks
post #59 of 589 Old 06-12-2010, 11:29 PM
Advanced Member

what would be a decent 7.1 yamaha to replace the 661 but also offers the 3D feature? i dont want to go with the 567 because it sounds like a downgrade now.
post #60 of 589 Old 06-13-2010, 03:07 AM

So far I've found out that the 567 does upscaling of analog video up to 720p, but no upscaling of component video. With these limitations I'm wondering what type of video chip is inside the 567, does anyone know?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Yamaha Rx V467bl 525 Watt 5 1 Channel Av Receiver Each Black , Yamaha Rx V567 Receiver
Gear in this thread - V567 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page