IR "extender" - need advice - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 04-05-2010, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Amp is Sony STR-DA3400ES

I am trying to get the IR (remote) to work from a longer distance than the normal. So, I bought an IR "extender" that plugs into the back of the receiver. There are three IR connections in the back - two outputs and one input. I plug the extender into the IR input. Nothing! I assume that input is correct since I am trying to input an IR signal.

So, I bought a different style IR extender - same result. Nothing!

There is nothing in the GUI setup regarding IR input/output (also very little in the receiver user manual.

I'm almost afraid to ask - do I plug it into the IR output?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-06-2010, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
It would help to know exactly what you bought. Link? "IR Extender" usually means something like a Terk Leapfrog system that turns IR into RF, beams it some distance, and then the receiver unit converts the RF back to IR at your equipment rack.

Your manual says to use an "ir repeater". The diagram does seem a bit over simplified. The IR input should be connected to some sort of IR distribution system such as those intended for multi zone/room operation. This will include some sort of power source for an IR target(s) since IR targets/repeaters are not passive devices. I doubt the Sony is providing power over the IR ports. The outputs are probalby intended to be used with IR emitters/flashers/bugs (same thing, different names) to control other equipment located nearby by "repeating" the IR commands the Sony receives, either through its front IR sensor or the IR repeater input.

-Brent
post #3 of 6 Old 04-06-2010, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
river - thank you for your comments. Makes sense to me. I think I need a "powered" IR extender. The ones I have are passive.

By the way, you are just up the street from me!!!

Alan
Myrtle Beach, SC
post #4 of 6 Old 04-06-2010, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 98
The beauty of the Terk Leapfrog is it extends all of your remotes - not just the AVR. Very handy unit. I use one for controlling the sat box in the living room when I'm in the bedroom.

When all else fails - RTFM!

♫♫♫ Two Channel Rules! ♫♫♫

GO SEAHAWKS!!!
post #5 of 6 Old 04-06-2010, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked: 111
The typical IR distance specification is about 15' within an angle of +/- 30 degrees from the hand-held controller to front panel sensor. The brands can make the distance longer but then they risk some false triggering by external devices such as a flouroscent lite.

If you want more distance, I would suggest adding an independent IR sensor and positioning it closer to the user.

Just my $0.01...
post #6 of 6 Old 04-07-2010, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knucklehead90 View Post

The beauty of the Terk Leapfrog is it extends all of your remotes - not just the AVR. Very handy unit. I use one for controlling the sat box in the living room when I'm in the bedroom.

Yep, love the LeapFrogs.

In my theater room, the gear is located in an armoire at the back of the room. IR target sits on the floor near the center speaker stand below the fp screen. Works perfectly beaming the signal to the RF receiver located inside the armoire with doors closed. Used for similar purposes at my parents house where I retrofitted their 4:3 fireplace TV nook for a HD flat panel and tucked the receiver/sat box/dvd/vcr behind the TV with no direct line of sight to the room.

-Brent
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page