Technics Stereo Receiver SA-AX7, problem with surround bank! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-07-2010, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys

I've just gotten a Technics stereo receiver SA-AX7.
Ive got both banks B and A plugged with speakers
Ive got a subwoofer in the surround bank. And it wont work, ive tried switching speakers/sub in the whole surround bank, but nothing comes out.
HELP?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-07-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Before I try to answer I need to know why do you think plugging the sub into something called surround bank is correct?

I am pulling the owners manual now. What sub model?

So this is an interesting old unit.

It has a speaker level sub output if you do not have a powered sub, it also has a sub line out connection for powered subs.

Which of these are you using and once again what sub do you have?
post #3 of 7 Old 04-07-2010, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 194
It is interesting. Pre Dolby Digital, "DD ready" AVR; the only way to get 5.1 out of it is to use a player with analog multichannel outputs. Interestingly, you could pair this with a modern Blu-ray player with such outputs and it would probably sound pretty good, given decent speakers.

The B speaker terminals should only be used to duplicate the main L and right signals, as for speakers in another room. Each speaker must then be no less than 8ohms, and their sound quality will be affected when both are in use.

The unit has a dedicated 100W power amplifier for the subwoofer channel, which should be used only with an unpowered sub connected by speaker wire.

A powered sub should be connected to the "Subwoofer Out" RCA jack, even if it also has speaker-wire connections.

You can get the manual from Retrevo.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #4 of 7 Old 04-09-2010, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.
Im new to high tech audio systems. But as a guess, powered subs, are subs that you can turn on individually, with buttons on the back of the sub and stuff like that?
This sub i have, name:Panasonic model no. sb w300. it says 6 ohm, and 60 W. i guess thats out of use then?
Oh sry my fault, noticed theres no such surround bank, i plugged it in the subwoofer +- 6-16 ohm.
Still i wonder, because it worked the first 5 times?
post #5 of 7 Old 04-09-2010, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hmmm. should of worked out the speaker level jack, should still work.

I'd suspect cable, sub, or avr failure causing this.

Settings too could do it too, if the avr lost it's settings. really hard to say with this vintage of AVR.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-09-2010, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 194
Download the manual and work through it. This receiver predates most of the digital setup features of today's units, and doesn't really have a "setup" menu, except for Dolby Surround. Everything else is controlled directly with buttons and switches, and reading through the manual will identify the functions of each control.

If you are using the "DVD 6-channel" inputs (or have pressed the button), many of the AVR's controls become inoperative; signals are passed straight through to the output stage. In particular, the "B" speaker terminals are disabled in that mode.

But as John says, it's hard to guess why the speaker-level subwoofer output might suddenly fail. Could be an internal fuse. These early Technics receivers had a reputation for running very hot, so internal failure is always possible.

Wide Awake

on the Edge

of the World

post #7 of 7 Old 05-04-2010, 12:02 AM

I still have my SA-AX6, which is the model right before the SA-AX7. This unit was as a combo unit in some cases with the Technics SH-AC500D. It was one of the first affordable DD/DTS units on the market and for a time was highly regarded. I've had several receivers since then but I will never get rid of this one...very nice piece of kit. It does run hot, but it was really the pinnacle of what Panasonic/Technics did. As I mentioned, before this combo was available, DD/DTS were not easily available at the sub $600 price point where this sat. The fact that it has a dedicated amp for a passive sub was a huge selling point for me at the time when I built my own passive bandpass box.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page