Any Opinions for Low end receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 04-20-2010, 02:16 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi folks, brand new to all this audio stuff, and after a few hours of research, have narrowed down some choices, and was hoping to have some feedback!

Not a lot of $ to spend, but here is what my install will be: probably 5.1 system, with "in-wall" or "in-ceiling" monoprice surrounds, and front speaker & sub near the HDTV (front speaker & sub tbd?). Possible future expansion to 7.1, but not sure. Room size = basement, ~15'x40'.

Possible choices of receivers=
Onkyo TX-SR508 or Pioneer VSX-820K or Yamaha RXV-565.

I'm leaning towards the Pioneer simply because of it's Iphone capabilities. Are any of these better at driving a sub than others? It would seem to me that upconverting is best left to the tv (from what I've read on some of the Posts here). If people really do make use of the upconverting (I'm not convinced yet), I don't mind spending $100 more for a 608 or 920....

Thanks in advance for your opinion.
P.S. Total newb here, so please be gentle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-20-2010, 04:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rforce1 View Post

It would seem to me that upconverting is best left to the tv (from what I've read on some of the Posts here).

Upscaling may be best left to the TV, but upconverting -- converting composite or component signals to HDMI -- is something TVs don't do[*] (so far as I know). It can save the step of changing from TV input to input.

On driving the sub: some Pioneer receivers have a feature "standing wave" to control bass peaks. The upcoming VSX-1020 does have this, but I doubt the VSX-820 or VSX-920 do (though I haven't looked at the manuals, to say for sure).

Edit: Well, TVs do upconvert, but generally not in a way that would let you avoid a manual step of changing inputs.

Greg Lee
post #3 of 7 Old 04-20-2010, 05:04 AM

Liked: 11
And no need to settle for the lower models when there are serious deals out there. Electronics-expo.com has the Yamaha 665 for less than 320 shipped, and the step up 765 for less than 400 shipped. These are new units, not refurbed. If your cool with refurbed look at accessories4less.com for great deals on Onkyo.

I don't know if you meant drive the sub per onboard amp, but if you did, there are plenty of powered subs to choose from. Good luck!
post #4 of 7 Old 04-20-2010, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the info....I may just go with a refurb from accessories4less! Ht-rc160 ~$300 = decent option? So many choices!!!! I'd really like to stay at or below the $400 range though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4theLuvofHD View Post

...I don't know if you meant drive the sub per onboard amp, but if you did, there are plenty of powered subs to choose from. Good luck!

Please help me with this sub stuff! I'm assuming you can get a sub that has its own power source??? If I just buy a sub without a power source, won't the receiver be able to power it from its own power supplied to that channel? I really am trying to keep the budget under control, and am assuming a powered sub will increase my cost. Are low-end receivers not designed well for powering a sub by themselves? Thanks.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-20-2010, 08:31 AM

Most don't. You'll need a powered subwoofer hooked to the sub output of the receiver.

Trust your senses, not the numbers...
post #6 of 7 Old 04-20-2010, 08:54 AM

Liked: 11
And you can get a decent sub and receiver for a little over your budget. You can always save for it.

The receivers your looking at do not power the sub channel. If you have a passive (non-powered) sub in mind you'll need a separate amp for it. HTiBs use passive subs to pad their output specs and cheaper to make.

Google Dayton subs or Infinity for low cost solution for powered subs. Maybe even a BIC F12. Now if you save up you can get eD or Velodyne offers.

You do not want to settle for just any sub, make sure it can handle below 35 hz. Any minimum above that will be subpar. Find one that goes into the low 20s for cheap and you'll probably have a good deal.

The RC160 is a good AVR. I'm just a Yamaha fan. Onkyo makes quality stuff.

Craigslist is your friend when looking for speakers. Go with a reputable brand. Polk economy subs are not a great deal, but their other speakers are.

Make sure you C-List search is for home theater and not car audio. They lump them together in electronics.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-20-2010, 08:59 AM
Troll

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rforce1 View Post

Thanks for the info....I may just go with a refurb from accessories4less! Ht-rc160 ~$300 = decent option? So many choices!!!! I'd really like to stay at or below the $400 range though.

Please help me with this sub stuff! I'm assuming you can get a sub that has its own power source??? If I just buy a sub without a power source, won't the receiver be able to power it from its own power supplied to that channel? I really am trying to keep the budget under control, and am assuming a powered sub will increase my cost. Are low-end receivers not designed well for powering a sub by themselves? Thanks.

the ht-rc160 is basically the ht-rc160, minus a few watts and a front hdmi i believe. i'm a onkyo fan myself and think they are great for the price
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page