The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR308 Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 115 Old 05-31-2010, 01:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
i picked up the 308 for my basement office. connected to it is an HD-DVR cable box & Oppo 80 (later I'll connect my pc via dvi to hdmi). i get full HD lossless audio either LPCM, DTS-HD-MA or Dolby TrueHD from my Oppo 80 and 5.1 DD from cable. it powers TSi100's L&R, CS10 center & 2 small surrounds ceiling mounted that came from a Logitech Z-680 speaker system (which now belongs to my daughter with 2 other spare small speakers i had laying around!) the sound is perfect, it's got plenty of power as i'm not trying to power a concert hall! i sit about 5' from all of the speakers so the 65w is plenty and it's a secondary HT in my office. my main gear is upstairs. i only have on issue and it's not the 308. i have a lcd computer monitor that supports 1080p and is HDCP compliant for DVI. however, it has been known to have problems with some things connected to it and not working correctly. i had a different blu-ray player before and it wouldn't work with it and every once and a while the cable box gave it some trouble. so of course, it doesn't work with the 308. which is fine. it gives me a reason to get a small HDTV about the same size (it's a 24" but i've found a 26" tv that will do the job) and but it in it's place. I'm gonna sell the monitor with a computer I have and it will all but pay for the new HDTV. the other advantage of having an actual LCD HDTV over the current LCD only monitor is that it will have a digital tv tuner built into it and i can connect my cable directly to it as well as my cable box so that if my cable box ever goes out or if i'm recording 2 programs and want to watch something else, i can switch to the tv's tuner. of course i could also just connect an OTA HD antenna to it and work with that. i will tell anyone that this receiver is an incredible buy at it's price and it's feature list not to mention it's 3D ready for those looking to get into that or at least it's nice to have it for future growth. lots of folks have very costly receivers with features they do not and will not use. this is "future" bare bones and you can't beat the price. for under 250.oo you can have your lossless, HDMI, iPhone/ipod or HD-radio docks (optional) decent power and of course it's 3D ready. i would highly recommend this to anyone. i'll be fully in the drivers seat in my basement office when i get the new monitor. for right now, i'm running component out from my cable box and oppo into 308 then out to the monitor (getting 1080i for oppo & 1080i/720p for HD cable and this works fine. the good thing is that i have the blu-ray player connected to the 308 via hdmi so i can get the HD audio to the receiver and the video goes out through the component. and YES, it sounds incredible. the component cables will go away with the new monitor for one HDMI cable!

Oh yeah, something else i wanted to mention that unlike other almost (I suspect it's actually all but there might be one) other receiver maker, at this price range, with this feature set you are getting something that they don't offer, in fact you usually have to pay much more just to get it. DSD.

I use my 80 in the basement office (much like the 83 in my HT system in the big setup upstairs) to listen to SACD's streaming DSD via HDMI and the 308 accepts DSD via HDMI. so anyone that loves SACD's mastered in DSD (most, almost all are) you will appreciate this seldom seen feature at this price. it is also has great Multichannel in (HDMI from the player) for DVD-A music too. Just that alone at this price range is hard to find now, couple that with all of it's features and it's a homerun, out of the park!

I'll post again once i get the new monitor for the basement office.

again, i do highly recommend this receiver to anyone that's entry level or just has a small room and dosen't want to spend a fortune on a receiver.

55" Sony SXRD 1080P, PS3 & XBOX 360,
AppleTV, iPhone5,iPad4 both 64gb
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Onkyo PR-SC5507P & TX-NR525.
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10 & 5Jr, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, NYGiants!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 115 Old 05-31-2010, 02:52 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I also purchased the Onkyo 308 a few days ago. So far I am very pleased with it. I do not have a full 5.1 system for it. I am running a Polk CS2 center and 2 Polk Monitor 60s for front left/right. No sub or surrounds. Insight cable box via HDMI and my PC via HDMI as well.

Being a complete noob to "audio" I will be watching this thread with great interest and would very much appreciate tips from other users as to what settings I should use for my setup in order to get the most from my hardware.

So far I have set my speaker configuration to "large". The CS2 has 6.25" speakers and the 60s have 5.25" speakers
No for sub
no for surrounds

Speaker distance=12' for the center and the front L/R

Level calibration= 0 for all 3 speakers.

Audio adjust---setting with the DTS function---but I really don't know what to put it or the other functions on.

The room is 11x17 no room for a sub or surrounds and the wife is not happy with "LOUD" .

So, if anyone has suggestions for how to maximize the system I have ---I am all ears,so to speak. Thanks, dennyb
post #33 of 115 Old 06-03-2010, 11:22 AM

Bumping this thread--it's got "orphan" status--in the hopes that other owners or otherwise knowledgeable folks will have some valuable input.
post #34 of 115 Old 06-04-2010, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
well, i got a new monitor for my basement office yesterday, it's great. got a 24" 1080p HDTV from BB for $199.oo and it works great. as i stated in my last post my troubles were with the DVI to HDMI for the gateway LCD i had that was 1080p rated and the DVI was HDCP compliant (but didn't work right sometimes). the new monitor works great, it has 2 hdmi inputs, my pc is connected directly to one of them and the receiver output is connected to the other one. my oppo 80 and my cable hd-dvr are connected to the 308 via HDMI and everything now works great. i get a great picture on the monitor and excellent sound (lossless when available from blu-ray). i enjoy my SACD (DSD) & DVD-A via HDMI and with a optical cable out from my pc i enjoy good sound to include DD & DTS 5.1 when available. so i got two really good buys and paid under $500 for both of them. the 24" HDTV from BB & the Onkyo 308 receiver from newegg.com and yes, for my home office in the basement, they work great.

so again, i do highly recommend the 308 receiver for anyone on a tight budget who wants the most bang for their buck and with and added bonus of 3D readyness, you can't go wrong with it for the price.

hope this helps someone who might be on the fence about this receiver.

55" Sony SXRD 1080P, PS3 & XBOX 360,
AppleTV, iPhone5,iPad4 both 64gb
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Onkyo PR-SC5507P & TX-NR525.
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10 & 5Jr, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, NYGiants!
post #35 of 115 Old 06-21-2010, 07:13 AM

Does anybody know if its possible to listen to music using the universal port iPod dock and watch TV HDMI input?
post #36 of 115 Old 06-23-2010, 09:20 PM

Hi,

I recently purchased the Onkyo. My set up is a 2009 58" panny plasma, panny BD80 Bluray, DishNetwork HD box. I'll be running it in 3.1 all 1.3 HDMI. Just wondering how everyone is doing with theirs, anyone need the firmware upgrade? I think the receiver is going to do all decoding so it's not an issue for me (should it be?). Would appreciate any tips or comments on install.

Cheers,

TC
post #37 of 115 Old 07-13-2010, 07:11 PM

just wondering if someone can help me out here,
I have just purchased the 308 & have hooked everything up by hdmi. My topfield hd pvr box has the ability to accept a av connection from another device for recording. I have hooked up my hd paytv box to the topfield by component leads, & to view the device I just press the M key on the topfield remote.
with the 308 I just get a blank screen. Worked fine before with hdmi straight to the tv.

the manual states for a recording device you hook up by video out with composite leads(rca) but will it work with the component out to the device.
post #38 of 115 Old 07-26-2010, 10:50 AM

Quick question about this receiver:

I am trying to find a budget amp to pair it up with my speakers which are rated at 220W/ea (peak) @ 8 ohms. I never crank up the volume super loud but I am just wondering if the speakers will not be too much for the amp.

Thanks.

PS: how does the picture look like through the HDMI (out) and can you watch TV without having the amp on?
post #39 of 115 Old 09-03-2010, 10:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Has anyone setup this receiver with a programable universal remote? In order for my wife and kids to use the home theater system I need to setup activity macros, and discrete ir codes for "power on" and "power off" are a must. Is this receiver equipped for that?
post #40 of 115 Old 09-06-2010, 12:45 PM

anyone have problems turning off the receiver with the remote after it's been on for a while?
post #41 of 115 Old 09-09-2010, 06:07 PM

Hi all,
I am thinking about buying this receiver. I just ordered the 58" Samsung 3D plasma and currently have on older Onkyo that doesn't have HDMI.
I am getting a Samsung 3d Blu-ray player with it and I also have a PS3 slim and COX HD cable box.
I want to make sure that all of these things will work together before buying the receiver and was hoping someone could comment.
I don't need a super powerful audio system since I live in a condo and don't listen to it all that loud. I just want something that will work well my my new 3D tv and that sounds good.
post #42 of 115 Old 09-11-2010, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey8 View Post

anyone have problems turning off the receiver with the remote after it's been on for a while?

Yes, I have the same problem: I can't turn ON the receiver after it's been off. There are instructions in the manual to reset the remote and it works fine after that.
post #43 of 115 Old 09-11-2010, 08:31 AM

I read earlier in this thread that you cant "mix" video-in and video-out formats, ie you cant have composite-in go thru hdmi-out. I assume that applies to component-in and hdmi-out as well? I was hoping to have all my video types routed here and then a single video-out to my TV. that would kinda suck if true...

Patrick
----------
post #44 of 115 Old 09-11-2010, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by pglenn View Post

I read earlier in this thread that you cant "mix" video-in and video-out formats, ie you cant have composite-in go thru hdmi-out. I assume that applies to component-in and hdmi-out as well? I was hoping to have all my video types routed here and then a single video-out to my TV. that would kinda suck if true...

Patrick

Hi Patrick, yes you are correct. This receiver will not convert analog to HDMI.
What goes in must come out the same.
post #45 of 115 Old 09-11-2010, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmscs View Post

Yes, I have the same problem: I can't turn ON the receiver after it's been off. There are instructions in the manual to reset the remote and it works fine after that.

Thanks.
Has been good for me lately.
post #46 of 115 Old 09-12-2010, 07:36 AM

has anyone used or have knowledge of one of these? HDMI to Component converter box. this one isnt just a cable that obviously wouldnt work

http://www.hdtvsupply.com/hdmi-to-rgb.html

Patrick
----------
post #47 of 115 Old 09-12-2010, 09:16 AM

Does anyone know if this receiver does stand-by mode audio pass-thru?
Where the audio will be passed through to your tv when the receiver is in stand-by mode.

Or are there any other receivers in the same price range that have it, or is that a feature I wont get in this price range?
post #48 of 115 Old 09-12-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emul8ter25 View Post

Does anyone know if this receiver does stand-by mode audio pass-thru?
Where the audio will be passed through to your tv when the receiver is in stand-by mode.

Or are there any other receivers in the same price range that have it, or is that a feature I wont get in this price range?

Yes, this receiver will pass video and audio with it Off (Standby). By setting HDMI Control and Audio Tv Out to On.
post #49 of 115 Old 09-17-2010, 12:29 PM

I am wondering if you can assign a video output to an audio source.

I have my ipod hooked up through the front panel input connector. When I use my ipod, if I have my tv on I just get a blue screen from the receiver, which is not very nice.

Would I be able to use my ipod and somehow allow an hdmi video source through to the tv?
post #50 of 115 Old 10-03-2010, 08:01 PM

Hey all, I am looking at getting this for my setup:

Panasonic 42" S2 1080p plasma
PS3 (HDMI)
Xbox 360 (Component + Optical)
Dell XPS M1530 laptop (HDMI)

It will replace a non-digital receiver with no digital inputs. And I have some fairly lowend but good quality Yamaha 5.1 speakers with a 50W powered sub. I am deciding between this 308 or a factory refurbished off ebay H/K AVR 254.

What are the down falls of the 308? It seems to pack a lot of features for a low low price.

No highs, no lows, must be Blose!
post #51 of 115 Old 10-03-2010, 09:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emul8ter25 View Post

I am wondering if you can assign a video output to an audio source.

I have my ipod hooked up through the front panel input connector. When I use my ipod, if I have my tv on I just get a blue screen from the receiver, which is not very nice.

Would I be able to use my ipod and somehow allow an hdmi video source through to the tv?

Sure you can, assign the video source to AUX Input and connect iPod to front Aux port. Select AUX Input, press "Receiver" and then "Audio" on the remote. Go to Audio and under Audio Select set it to Analog.
post #52 of 115 Old 10-03-2010, 09:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK1997 View Post

Hey all, I am looking at getting this for my setup:

Panasonic 42" S2 1080p plasma
PS3 (HDMI)
Xbox 360 (Component + Optical)
Dell XPS M1530 laptop (HDMI)

It will replace a non-digital receiver with no digital inputs. And I have some fairly lowend but good quality Yamaha 5.1 speakers with a 50W powered sub. I am deciding between this 308 or a factory refurbished off ebay H/K AVR 254.

What are the down falls of the 308? It seems to pack a lot of features for a low low price.

308 can't upconvert analog to HDMI unless you plan on connecting Xbox 360 video direct to Tv and optical to receiver.
post #53 of 115 Old 10-04-2010, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

308 can't upconvert analog to HDMI unless you plan on connecting Xbox 360 video direct to Tv and optical to receiver.

That's exactly what I planned on doing. Don't see any reason to run the Component through the Receiver, it will just increase the input lag.

No highs, no lows, must be Blose!
post #54 of 115 Old 10-14-2010, 01:01 PM

Hi, can anyone help me??
I have this device, when i first purchased it worked perfectly. But now i cant get any sound on my surround speakers and center speaker i have connected the reciver with PS3 using hdmi. I have tryed bluray movies, music, games but its the same maybe its some setting i have clicked by misstake? According to the manual you can klick [RECIVER] --> [DISPLAY] to choose diffrent audio settings but when i klick [RECIVER] nothing happens? Also its the same on my macmini wich i have connected via a TOSlink , iam terrible at audio stuff it might be the simplest misstake.

Thanks

\\\\Oskar
post #55 of 115 Old 10-14-2010, 02:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oosskkaarr View Post

Hi, can anyone help me??
I have this device, when i first purchased it worked perfectly. But now i cant get any sound on my surround speakers and center speaker i have connected the reciver with PS3 using hdmi. I have tryed bluray movies, music, games but its the same maybe its some setting i have clicked by misstake? According to the manual you can klick [RECIVER] --> [DISPLAY] to choose diffrent audio settings but when i klick [RECIVER] nothing happens? Also its the same on my macmini wich i have connected via a TOSlink , iam terrible at audio stuff it might be the simplest misstake.

Thanks

\\\\Oskar

Hi Oskar, pressing "Receiver" and "Display" only cycles the Information screen and does not cycle listening modes.

It appears you may have in Stereo listening mode (which is the two front speakers).

Press "Receiver" and "Movie/Tv button (or the front panel on the receiver) to cylce it to "Direct".
post #56 of 115 Old 10-14-2010, 02:47 PM

I did this but its still the same -also what the diffrent between first click [reciver] then [movie/tv] - clicking only [movie/tv] do the same thing? What should i do now?
post #57 of 115 Old 10-14-2010, 03:55 PM
AVS Special Member

What does it show on the OSD or receiver panel when pressing Receiver and then Display?
post #58 of 115 Old 10-14-2010, 06:15 PM

it says MCH PCM 5.1
post #59 of 115 Old 10-14-2010, 06:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Click "Receiver" button first and then click "Movie/TV" button repeatledy to cycle to different listening mode.

Double check the surr. and center speaker wires didn't come loose.

Is HDMI Control set to On or Audio TV Out set to On? If so try turning this Off.
post #60 of 115 Old 10-14-2010, 06:59 PM

Didnt work. Whats suppose to happen when u click [Reciver] first i mean its no differance if i click it first or not, still the same modes to choose from and non of them are working. And both were turned off. I mean what cloud have happend it worked yesterday. Do my source need to send speciall sound? Ive tryed with diffrent Matroska files PS3 games and music all is the same. Cables are nicely connected it cant be that.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page