The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR308 Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 115 Old 10-14-2010, 07:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 122
What do you mean "non of them are working"? Like there is no options to chose from or there are options but none of the selected option corrects the problem?

Take a look at the receiver front panel, is the A and B speaker indicator lid up? It should only show A only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 115 Old 10-14-2010, 07:24 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
YEAAA!! Now it works. I had only tryed klick reciver->display with A+B speaker now when its set to A it works, alot of other Modes are now avalible.

I cant thank u enough!
post #63 of 115 Old 10-14-2010, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

That is great to hear (it again ), enjoy.
post #64 of 115 Old 10-15-2010, 05:37 PM

Just wanted to jump on the bandwagon here and say I just picked up this set-up from Tiger Direct a few days ago. I had the same problem where I have my Blu-Ray player hooked up via HDMI, but I couldn't get any type of surround sound. I found on Onkyo's web site to turn off the Audio TV out in the HDMI Setup and that worked perfectly.

Very happy with this "birthday money" investment.
post #65 of 115 Old 10-15-2010, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattDeZ View Post

Just wanted to jump on the bandwagon here and say I just picked up this set-up from Tiger Direct a few days ago. I had the same problem where I have my Blu-Ray player hooked up via HDMI, but I couldn't get any type of surround sound. I found on Onkyo's web site to turn off the Audio TV out in the HDMI Setup and that worked perfectly.

Very happy with this "birthday money" investment.

Hi Matt, congrats on your new gear and happy birthday.

So what you're going get with the Christmas money?
post #66 of 115 Old 10-15-2010, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Matt, congrats on your new gear and happy birthday.

So what you're going get with the Christmas money?

That will be going toward a motorcycle in the spring.
post #67 of 115 Old 10-23-2010, 10:03 AM

Hello- I am hoping that some of you were deciding between the models before making your purchase. This receiver will go in my Dad's living room. He is older and not an audiophile. The speakers that will be hooked up will be something like the Polk RM-6750s. It will only ever be a 5.1 system. The 3 sole uses will be a) listening to CDs, 2) watching TV, 3) watching movies via Blu-ray/DVD. Would there be any reason to choose the 508 over the 308 knowing how this system will be used? Thanks for any help you can provide!
post #68 of 115 Old 11-26-2010, 10:14 PM

Hello,
Have just bought the TX-SR309. I have connected my DVD into the BD/DVD using component cables, connected the audio to BD/DVD analog audi inut. Sound is foine, but only get a black and white signal. (My DVD does nothave HDMI. It is region free, most of our DVDs are european, and it this exact set-up worked fine with my yamaha receiver, which sadly died).
Does anyone have a suggestion? Am using composite cables.
Thank you for any help possible!
post #69 of 115 Old 11-26-2010, 10:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anyuser2 View Post
Hello,
Have just bought the TX-SR309. I have connected my DVD into the BD/DVD using component cables, connected the audio to BD/DVD analog audi inut. Sound is foine, but only get a black and white signal. (My DVD does nothave HDMI. It is region free, most of our DVDs are european, and it this exact set-up worked fine with my yamaha receiver, which sadly died).
Does anyone have a suggestion? Am using composite cables.
Thank you for any help possible!
Hi anyuser2, is the receiver video output via HDMI or Component?

If HDMI, this receiver does not upconvert component video to HDMI. It only output the same as input.

Question why use analog audio instead of digital (either optical or coaxial)? Most DVD player has digital output ports.
post #70 of 115 Old 11-27-2010, 12:51 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I forgot about the optical option as I have never used it before. The receiver has both HDMI and Component outputs, as well as composite. The older Yamaha receiver had the option to use S-video cabls, but this new Onkyo does not have that option either.
Fortunately, I did manage to get composite to work, by using the second set of component inputs to the TV. Old TV, so think the first set of component inputs I used are no longer working properly. And I had wanted to avoid using composite.
Many thanks for taking the time to offer help, very much apprecaited.
post #71 of 115 Old 11-27-2010, 06:23 PM

Been awhile since I have posted to these boards. Read your reviews (very helpful) and picked one of these up from Amazon today (prime shipping) for less than 2 hundo. Paired with an LG Bluray I got this weekend and I am set for a couple more years. whoo hooo...
Can't wait for Wednesday.
post #72 of 115 Old 11-30-2010, 03:48 PM

Hey, I have a technical question. I want to be able to use my Macbook pro to watch 1080p blu-ray rips (mkv, .mov, .avi files, etc.). Does this receiver allow me to hook up my mbp (its an older one that still has a full DVI output)? Right now I can do it with a small 37" Vizio tv using a DVI to HDMI cable and 3.5mm audio jack to the red/white audio on that TV. I am thinking of getting a 60" LG 60PK550 and this receiver. Will I be able to use the DVI to HDMI cable and the audio jack with this receiver and have it output the audio to my 5.1 surround speakers? Please answer and give me any tips???

Also, is there anyway to get full 5.1 output from my macbook pro? I thought the audio jack was capable of outputting through a toslink cable but as unsure--anyone know for sure??

Thanks!
post #73 of 115 Old 12-18-2010, 01:46 PM

Liked: 11
I am finaly going to upgrade to a new high def home theater receiver it's time for a new one for me and the onkyo tx-sr308 is the one I am going to get my mom will be getting it for christmas for me and if it's not in time after christmas. Currently I have a yamaha htr-5730 it still works but it's does'nt play the new hd formats and it does'nt have hdmi the onkyo tx-sr308 does.
post #74 of 115 Old 12-18-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjensen2 View Post

Hey, I have a technical question. I want to be able to use my Macbook pro to watch 1080p blu-ray rips (mkv, .mov, .avi files, etc.). Does this receiver allow me to hook up my mbp (its an older one that still has a full DVI output)? Right now I can do it with a small 37" Vizio tv using a DVI to HDMI cable and 3.5mm audio jack to the red/white audio on that TV. I am thinking of getting a 60" LG 60PK550 and this receiver. Will I be able to use the DVI to HDMI cable and the audio jack with this receiver and have it output the audio to my 5.1 surround speakers? Please answer and give me any tips???

Also, is there anyway to get full 5.1 output from my macbook pro? I thought the audio jack was capable of outputting through a toslink cable but as unsure--anyone know for sure??

Thanks!

Any suggestions???
post #75 of 115 Old 12-18-2010, 03:23 PM

jjenson2--I as well am wondering about connecting a DVI 17-inch powerbook to HDMI without any issues. I've connected everything up just as you've done-RCA audio and DVI->HDMI cables into the back of the receiver, only to find that my picture was "cut" and the picture quality was significantly diminished. I originally had my laptop connected directly to my Samsung 37" 1080p LCD TV, with a stunningly beautiful result on-screen. Now that the DVI->HMDI cable is connected to the receiver, picture is grainy, and a full picture is no longer viewable. (Literally, portions of the top, sides, and bottom of the picture are not visible. The menubar, normally viewable at the top of my screen on my TV, is half cut, so I can see enough of it such that I can play with the laptop's resolution and tinker with other powerbook video settings; however, with little avail.) The receiver's manual says that PC connections via DVI->HDMI aren't supported. However, that technically doesn't mean that such a connection can't be done successfully without a reduction in picture quality.

I'm technically savvy and can troubleshoot things pretty well, but this is my first receiver so bear with me: any ideas out there?
post #76 of 115 Old 01-04-2011, 07:28 PM

Liked: 11
I like my new Onkyo TX-SR308 5.1-Channel Home Theater Receiver. It has everything I want dolby true HD and dts hd-master audio as well as a port adaptor for HD Radio. Setting it up was so easy and the sound quality is so good. Thanks Onkyo for making such a good receiver. Best value bar none.
post #77 of 115 Old 01-08-2011, 02:16 PM

Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased the Pioneer VSX820K Amp. I was having a lot of issued running my Shaw HDBox through this as I seemed to be getting picture blanking every 30 mins or so. I bought the Onkyo TX-SR308 today and brought it home and hooked it up. It doesn't seem to have all the same features as the Pioneer and less power.

Can anyone shed some light on these two Amp's? Which is really "better" as they are basically in the same entry level price range.

Thanks for any help,

Adam
post #78 of 115 Old 01-13-2011, 01:43 PM

I have the Onkyo TX-SR308 and have really enjoyed it since owning it for the past month. But I need help understanding the HDMI switching. Here is my simple setup:

HDMI 1: Sony Blu-Ray
HDMI 2: DirecTV

If I set the HDMI pass-thru to ON and switch to HDMI 2 and turn the Onkyo off, the sound and picture passes thru as expected, until I turn off the DirecTV and TV. Then the Onkyo goes back to passing thru the HDMI 1 and will not switch back automatically when I turn the DirecTV and TV back on, even though the Blu-Ray has remained off. I must turn on the Onkyo and switch HDMI's manually.

My Blu-Ray is fairly new (supports HDMI 1.3), but my DirecTV probably doesn't go past 1.1 or 1.2. Is the Onkyo getting some type of signal from the Blu-Ray even though it's off, and thus switching back to HDMI 1 when DirecTV is off? Or does the receiver just go back to HDMI 1 when no signal is detected in HDMI 2?

Thanks!
post #79 of 115 Old 01-14-2011, 02:35 PM

I just tried to set up the Onkyou SR308 and I'm having trouble getting the sound from my TV to play through my receiver. I haven't upgraded my receiver for 15 years, so I'm hoping the good folks here on the forum help me out.

Here's my very simple setup on the Onkyo:
1. Blu Ray to HDMI 1
2. Old CD player to optical 2
3. HDMI Out to my TV's HDMI2

My TV is a new Panasonic Plasma 50" GT25. The TV setup is:
1. DirecTV on HDMI1
2. Onkyo's HDMI Out to the TV's HDMI2

I went through the setup and turned on the Audio Return Channel. I read that the sound should come back from the TV through the HDMI cable. I'm using an HDMI 1.4 cable. However, no sound from the TV comes through the Onkyo.

FYI, I'm not connecting my DirecTV HDMI cable to the Onkyo because I'm thinking the TV can do a better job of processing the video than the receiver. I'm probably just too old school, but it just seems strange to me to send the video signal through the DirecTV HDDVR box, then the Onkyo, and then the Panasonic GT25.

Thanks for the help.
post #80 of 115 Old 01-24-2011, 01:16 PM

Hi Dave60,

Can i ask what it is (source) you are trying to listen to through the TV? As far as i'm aware the ARC allows you to listen to an attached source whilst the Onkyo is in standby so you should get Blu-Ray only as that is the only HDMI attached kit.

If i'm wrong about that then i expect someone will pull me up about it
post #81 of 115 Old 01-24-2011, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave60 View Post

I just tried to set up the Onkyou SR308 and I'm having trouble getting the sound from my TV to play through my receiver. I haven't upgraded my receiver for 15 years, so I'm hoping the good folks here on the forum help me out.

My TV is a new Panasonic Plasma 50" GT25. The TV setup is:
1. DirecTV on HDMI1
2. Onkyo's HDMI Out to the TV's HDMI2

I went through the setup and turned on the Audio Return Channel. I read that the sound should come back from the TV through the HDMI cable. I'm using an HDMI 1.4 cable. However, no sound from the TV comes through the Onkyo.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Dave60, for ARC to work on Panasonic Tv swap around the HDMI connection.

1. DirecTV on HDMI-2
2. Onkyo's HDMI Out to the TV's HDMI-1
post #82 of 115 Old 01-30-2011, 07:18 AM

Hi all. I'm seeing a wierd switching problem with my onkyo. if I put a movie (or 5) into my sony 5 disk changer, I don't always get audio. this sometimes happens even on the same disk if i get up and kick the input from BR/DVD to another setting then back, the audio comes through because the receiver scans the HDMI port. is there a setting I'm missing?

"Of the four wars in my lifetime none came about because the U.S. was too strong." - Ronald Reagan
post #83 of 115 Old 01-30-2011, 06:31 PM

hi everyone, just wanted to ask the owners of this unit how the lack of support for 7.1 affected your decision for purchasing this receiver. I'm currently needing to get a new receiver for the basement and this is currently selling for a very good price in my area. I'd like to experience the new dts and dolby hi def codecs but was wondering if there was substantial difference (improvement?) to older dolby and dts digital formats? Are most of you putting this units to use in smaller to medium sized rooms that dont have room for full 7.1 speakers? Also is there a downgrading or down sampling of the hd audio codecs to 5.1 since i thought for master audio you were required to have 7.1 speakers? I'm pretty sure i might be wrong about this since i havent been keeping up to date with audio of hdmi.

Can anyone characterize the sound of the onkyo? I'm used to yahama amps which are said to be warmer, onkyo I've read are a bit 'colder' not sure i'd be able to tell the diff but can any one say what kind of characteristic sound their onkyo puts out? I would mate this with a set of paradigm studio reference 20v2 for the fronts with matching centre which i've read are a bit cold sounding. not sure if you understand but anyone of you coming from a different amp to the onkyo can you hear a difference in sound quality?

thanks for any responses.
post #84 of 115 Old 02-02-2011, 01:29 PM

is it possible to use component for video in while using HDMI for audio in, at the same time? and if so how?

Patrick

Patrick
----------
post #85 of 115 Old 02-02-2011, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pglenn View Post

is it possible to use component for video in while using HDMI for audio in, at the same time? and if so how?

Patrick

Hi pglenn, it may be possible since this receiver doesn't upconvert analog video to HDMI out.

So I understand your connections (with correct assignment):
source -> component cables (green,blue,red) -> to receiver and out -> tv
same source -> HDMI cable -> to receiver and out -> tv

With the souce input (Comp 1 or Comp 2) selected, press "Audio" button on remote and under "Audio Selector" set it to "HDMI".
post #86 of 115 Old 02-02-2011, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi pglenn, it may be possible since this receiver doesn't upconvert analog video to HDMI out.

So I understand your connections (with correct assignment):
source -> component cables (green,blue,red) -> to receiver and out -> tv
same source -> HDMI cable -> to receiver and out -> tv

With the souce input (Comp 1 or Comp 2) selected, press "Audio" button on remote and under "Audio Selector" set it to "HDMI".

thanks, I;ll try that later...

reason I need to connect like that, I am connecting a PC via HDMI and sometimes the video is completely unstable via HDMI (visible but :shakes: for a couple seconds, then gone for more than a few seconds, then back but :shakes and then if I can stabilize the video (combo of rebooting pc and re-seating HDMI several times, just a luck when it does stabilize) it is good for hours until I shut down... dunno if that is the pc or receiver but will attack that issue separate

Patrick
----------
post #87 of 115 Old 02-02-2011, 09:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pglenn View Post

thanks, I;ll try that later...

reason I need to connect like that, I am connecting a PC via HDMI and sometimes the video is completely unstable via HDMI (visible but :shakes: for a couple seconds, then gone for more than a few seconds, then back but :shakes and then if I can stabilize the video (combo of rebooting pc and re-seating HDMI several times, just a luck when it does stabilize) it is good for hours until I shut down... dunno if that is the pc or receiver but will attack that issue separate

Sorry, don't know much about PC setting but maybe try changing the refresh rate.
post #88 of 115 Old 02-09-2011, 01:54 PM

This is my setup:

Motorola DCX-3400 PVR is connected to the Onkyo SR308 via HDMI. HDMI out from Onkyo to Samsung LED (UN55C6300).

I seem to be getting HDMI handshake issues in the form of blank blue screen flashes every 15 minutes or so. I can't remember if audio cuts out as well, but this blanking problem persists whether I am watching TV with the receiver on or off via HDMI pass-through.

Thoughts?
post #89 of 115 Old 02-17-2011, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 403gl View Post
This is my setup:

Motorola DCX-3400 PVR is connected to the Onkyo SR308 via HDMI. HDMI out from Onkyo to Samsung LED (UN55C6300).

I seem to be getting HDMI handshake issues in the form of blank blue screen flashes every 15 minutes or so. I can't remember if audio cuts out as well, but this blanking problem persists whether I am watching TV with the receiver on or off via HDMI pass-through.

Thoughts?
i too have the same issue but only with HTPC ,PS3 and a SATELLITE BOX are ok...if you find a solution please help me to solve this issue..

THANKS
post #90 of 115 Old 02-17-2011, 08:08 PM

I'm leaning towards purchasing this receiver, and was wondering something. Does this receiver support 1080/24p?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page