AVS Forum banner

The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR308 Thread

47K views 116 replies 61 participants last post by  kadmon 
#1 ·
The Onkyo TX-SR308

At the budget-conscious end of the home entertainment spectrum, you’re looking to maximize performance and features without putting undue strain on your finances. At Onkyo, we get it. That’s why we’ve redefined the entry-level A/V receiver once more, with the high-value TX-SR308. Not only is it ready for 3D video—thanks to its HDMI™ 1.4a specification—but it also handles high-definition lossless audio codecs from Dolby and DTS. Advanced A/V processing on a bedrock of classic Onkyo engineering is complemented by a bevy of convenient features: a new overlaid On-Screen Display for easy adjustment of settings; a Universal Port for single-cable connection of peripherals; and a front-panel audio input for direct connection of iPods and other MP3 players. With the TX-SR308, you get an affordable home cinema centerpiece ready to drive the latest high-def entertainment sources.

Advanced features:
  • HDMI™ Version 1.4a to Support 3D Video Formats, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color™, x.v.Color™, LipSync, Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio™, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD, Multichannel PCM, and CEC
  • Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio™, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High-Resolution Audio™ Decoding
  • Universal Port for Single-Cable Connection of Optional Onkyo Dock for iPod or DAB+ Radio Tuner
  • Overlaid On-Screen Display (OSD) via HDMI

Amplifier features:
  • 100 W/Ch at 6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 Channel Driven, IEC
  • H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply) Massive High Power Transformer
  • Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry
  • Jitter-Cleaning Circuit Technology

Processing features:
  • Burr-Brown 192 kHz/24-Bit DACs (PCM1690) for All Channels
  • Advanced 32-Bit Processing DSP Chip
  • 4 DSP Modes for Gaming: Rock, Sports, Action, and RPG (Role Playing Game)
  • Music Optimizer™ for Compressed Digital Music Files
  • Theater-Dimensional Virtual Surround Function
  • CinemaFILTER™
  • Direct Mode
  • Double Bass Function
  • Non-Scaling Configuration
  • A-Form Listening Mode Memory

Connection features:
  • Audio and 1080p Video Processing via HDMI (3 Inputs and 1 Output)
  • HDTV-Capable (720p/1080i) Component Video Switching (2 Inputs and 1 Output)
  • Front-Panel Audio Input for Portable Devices
  • 3 Digital Inputs (2 Optical and 1 Coaxial)
  • 4 A/V Inputs and 1 Output
  • Video Output (Monitor)
  • 1 Audio Input
  • Subwoofer Pre Out
  • Speaker A/B Terminals
  • Banana Plug-Compatible Speaker Posts for Front L/R Channels (Speaker A)
  • Color-Coded Speaker Terminals
  • Headphone Jack

Other features:
  • Crossover Adjustment (40/50/60/80/100/120/150/200 Hz)
  • A/V Sync Control Function (Up to 100 ms in 10 ms Steps)
  • Tone Control (Bass/Treble) for Front L/R Channels
  • 3-Mode Display Dimmer (Normal/Dim/Dimmer)
  • Sleep Timer (via Remote)
  • Battery-Free Memory Backup
  • RDS (PS/RT/PTY/TP)
  • 40 FM/AM Random Presets
  • RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) for System Control
  • Compatible with RI (Remote Interactive) Dock for iPod
  • RI (Remote Interactive) Remote Control

Official Website: Onkyo TX-SR308
Small review: Hometheatergears.com
CNET Review: Onkyo TX-SR308

See less See more
#77 ·
Hi Everyone,

I recently purchased the Pioneer VSX820K Amp. I was having a lot of issued running my Shaw HDBox through this as I seemed to be getting picture blanking every 30 mins or so. I bought the Onkyo TX-SR308 today and brought it home and hooked it up. It doesn't seem to have all the same features as the Pioneer and less power.

Can anyone shed some light on these two Amp's? Which is really "better" as they are basically in the same entry level price range.

Thanks for any help,

Adam

#78 ·
I have the Onkyo TX-SR308 and have really enjoyed it since owning it for the past month. But I need help understanding the HDMI switching. Here is my simple setup:

HDMI 1: Sony Blu-Ray

HDMI 2: DirecTV

If I set the HDMI pass-thru to ON and switch to HDMI 2 and turn the Onkyo off, the sound and picture passes thru as expected, until I turn off the DirecTV and TV. Then the Onkyo goes back to passing thru the HDMI 1 and will not switch back automatically when I turn the DirecTV and TV back on, even though the Blu-Ray has remained off. I must turn on the Onkyo and switch HDMI's manually.

My Blu-Ray is fairly new (supports HDMI 1.3), but my DirecTV probably doesn't go past 1.1 or 1.2. Is the Onkyo getting some type of signal from the Blu-Ray even though it's off, and thus switching back to HDMI 1 when DirecTV is off? Or does the receiver just go back to HDMI 1 when no signal is detected in HDMI 2?

Thanks!

#79 ·
I just tried to set up the Onkyou SR308 and I'm having trouble getting the sound from my TV to play through my receiver. I haven't upgraded my receiver for 15 years, so I'm hoping the good folks here on the forum help me out.

Here's my very simple setup on the Onkyo:

1. Blu Ray to HDMI 1

2. Old CD player to optical 2

3. HDMI Out to my TV's HDMI2

My TV is a new Panasonic Plasma 50" GT25. The TV setup is:

1. DirecTV on HDMI1

2. Onkyo's HDMI Out to the TV's HDMI2

I went through the setup and turned on the Audio Return Channel. I read that the sound should come back from the TV through the HDMI cable. I'm using an HDMI 1.4 cable. However, no sound from the TV comes through the Onkyo.

FYI, I'm not connecting my DirecTV HDMI cable to the Onkyo because I'm thinking the TV can do a better job of processing the video than the receiver. I'm probably just too old school, but it just seems strange to me to send the video signal through the DirecTV HDDVR box, then the Onkyo, and then the Panasonic GT25.

Thanks for the help.

#80 ·
Hi Dave60,

Can i ask what it is (source) you are trying to listen to through the TV? As far as i'm aware the ARC allows you to listen to an attached source whilst the Onkyo is in standby so you should get Blu-Ray only as that is the only HDMI attached kit.

If i'm wrong about that then i expect someone will pull me up about it

#81 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave60 /forum/post/19830110

I just tried to set up the Onkyou SR308 and I'm having trouble getting the sound from my TV to play through my receiver. I haven't upgraded my receiver for 15 years, so I'm hoping the good folks here on the forum help me out.

My TV is a new Panasonic Plasma 50" GT25. The TV setup is:

1. DirecTV on HDMI1

2. Onkyo's HDMI Out to the TV's HDMI2

I went through the setup and turned on the Audio Return Channel. I read that the sound should come back from the TV through the HDMI cable. I'm using an HDMI 1.4 cable. However, no sound from the TV comes through the Onkyo.

Thanks for the help.

Hi Dave60, for ARC to work on Panasonic Tv swap around the HDMI connection.

1. DirecTV on HDMI-2

2. Onkyo's HDMI Out to the TV's HDMI-1

#82 ·
Hi all. I'm seeing a wierd switching problem with my onkyo. if I put a movie (or 5) into my sony 5 disk changer, I don't always get audio. this sometimes happens even on the same disk if i get up and kick the input from BR/DVD to another setting then back, the audio comes through because the receiver scans the HDMI port. is there a setting I'm missing?

#83 ·
hi everyone, just wanted to ask the owners of this unit how the lack of support for 7.1 affected your decision for purchasing this receiver. I'm currently needing to get a new receiver for the basement and this is currently selling for a very good price in my area. I'd like to experience the new dts and dolby hi def codecs but was wondering if there was substantial difference (improvement?) to older dolby and dts digital formats? Are most of you putting this units to use in smaller to medium sized rooms that dont have room for full 7.1 speakers? Also is there a downgrading or down sampling of the hd audio codecs to 5.1 since i thought for master audio you were required to have 7.1 speakers? I'm pretty sure i might be wrong about this since i havent been keeping up to date with audio of hdmi.

Can anyone characterize the sound of the onkyo? I'm used to yahama amps which are said to be warmer, onkyo I've read are a bit 'colder' not sure i'd be able to tell the diff but can any one say what kind of characteristic sound their onkyo puts out? I would mate this with a set of paradigm studio reference 20v2 for the fronts with matching centre which i've read are a bit cold sounding. not sure if you understand but anyone of you coming from a different amp to the onkyo can you hear a difference in sound quality?

thanks for any responses.

#84 ·
is it possible to use component for video in while using HDMI for audio in, at the same time? and if so how?

Patrick

#85 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pglenn /forum/post/19939489

is it possible to use component for video in while using HDMI for audio in, at the same time? and if so how?

Patrick

Hi pglenn, it may be possible since this receiver doesn't upconvert analog video to HDMI out.

So I understand your connections (with correct assignment):

source -> component cables (green,blue,red) -> to receiver and out -> tv

same source -> HDMI cable -> to receiver and out -> tv

With the souce input (Comp 1 or Comp 2) selected, press "Audio" button on remote and under "Audio Selector" set it to "HDMI".

#86 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin /forum/post/19940823

Hi pglenn, it may be possible since this receiver doesn't upconvert analog video to HDMI out.

So I understand your connections (with correct assignment):

source -> component cables (green,blue,red) -> to receiver and out -> tv

same source -> HDMI cable -> to receiver and out -> tv

With the souce input (Comp 1 or Comp 2) selected, press "Audio" button on remote and under "Audio Selector" set it to "HDMI".

thanks, I;ll try that later...

reason I need to connect like that, I am connecting a PC via HDMI and sometimes the video is completely unstable via HDMI (visible but :shakes: for a couple seconds, then gone for more than a few seconds, then back but :shakes
and then if I can stabilize the video (combo of rebooting pc and re-seating HDMI several times, just a luck when it does stabilize) it is good for hours until I shut down... dunno if that is the pc or receiver but will attack that issue separate

#87 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pglenn /forum/post/19941655

thanks, I;ll try that later...

reason I need to connect like that, I am connecting a PC via HDMI and sometimes the video is completely unstable via HDMI (visible but :shakes: for a couple seconds, then gone for more than a few seconds, then back but :shakes
and then if I can stabilize the video (combo of rebooting pc and re-seating HDMI several times, just a luck when it does stabilize) it is good for hours until I shut down... dunno if that is the pc or receiver but will attack that issue separate

Sorry, don't know much about PC setting but maybe try changing the refresh rate.

#88 ·
This is my setup:

Motorola DCX-3400 PVR is connected to the Onkyo SR308 via HDMI. HDMI out from Onkyo to Samsung LED (UN55C6300).

I seem to be getting HDMI handshake issues in the form of blank blue screen flashes every 15 minutes or so. I can't remember if audio cuts out as well, but this blanking problem persists whether I am watching TV with the receiver on or off via HDMI pass-through.

Thoughts?

#89 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by 403gl
This is my setup:

Motorola DCX-3400 PVR is connected to the Onkyo SR308 via HDMI. HDMI out from Onkyo to Samsung LED (UN55C6300).

I seem to be getting HDMI handshake issues in the form of blank blue screen flashes every 15 minutes or so. I can't remember if audio cuts out as well, but this blanking problem persists whether I am watching TV with the receiver on or off via HDMI pass-through.

Thoughts?
i too have the same issue but only with HTPC ,PS3 and a SATELLITE BOX are ok...if you find a solution please help me to solve this issue..

THANKS

#91 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 403gl /forum/post/19979155

This is my setup:

Thoughts?

make that three now - ER1402 nettop pc connected to onkyo, sometimes it will work perfect and will continue to work, but most of the time I get blank screen with intermittant screen display for a few seconds. when the screen does display it is kinda jumpy rather than a steady picture (jumpy meaning it moves up/down about a centimeter continually). odd though that sound is perfect. I gave up on video and have pc to tv via VGA and hdmi still to onkyo for sound

#95 ·
Hello all.

I had a problem which I am hoping someone here can help me out with since I am a complete noob where AV systems go.

I had an Onkyo SR308 receiver for around a year that I used with an old pair of Sony Booskshelf speakers (6 Ohms). These speakers ran just fine. I had it hooked up to the Front B terminals.

I decided to upgrade to nicer set of speakers; Fluance AV- HTB

However when I plugged just the two fronts of my Fluance system (8 Ohms) into the Front A terminals, I could get sound out of the speaker connected only to the right channel. I switched around the speakers and still got sound out of only the speaker connected to the right channel. So i know my speakers are both working but when I have both connected only the one connected to the right channel produces sound.

My initial though was I had busted my left channel somehow so i now connected both speakers to the Front B terminals and saw the same thing. I guess the left channel for both Speaker Sets A and B are driven by the same amp. So I connected my old bookshelf speakers back to the Front A terminals and they BOTH produced sound.

This tells me my left and right channels work when 6 Ohm speakers are connected but not when 8 Ohm speakers are connected.

I tried switching the sound source to Mono and going through every conceivable combination in the speaker config section as well but I have had no success.

It would be awesome if someone had any ideas/suggestions.

Thanks.

#96 ·
Hi,

I'm trying to connect my PC audio to the Onkyo TX-SR308 receiver. I currently have an HDMI cable going from the computer to the TV, and an HDMI cable going from the TV to the receiver. While this setup gets the audio from my computer to my receiver, it requires that I have the TV on. I want the computer to go directly into the receiver so that I can listen to music (no need for video). I've tried connecting an RCA cable to various inputs on the receiver. Nothing seems to work. My computer has a SPDIF and coxial option. But before I buy a new cable, I'd like to know if these will work? If it will work, can I just connect the computer to the receiver with the new cable, or do I need to configure the receiver also?

#116 ·
Is there a way of streaming audio from a PC to Onkyo TX-SR308?

Years later... and I have the same problem as in the quote below. (Even worse, as my Sony TV doesn't have an HDMI OUT (has optical OUT), so I don't even know how to do it via the TV.)

Can anybody help with this? Is there any way of streaming audio from a PC to an Onkyo TX-SR308 receiver? Preferably via HDMI! And preferably not too complicated and/or costly...

I'd be most grateful!

I tried connecting PC to Onkyo directly via
1. HDMI cable
2. 3.5mm to RCA cable
3. 3.5mm to the Onkyo's 3.5mm 'AUX' IN.
None work. Re the HDMI case: the PC doesn't detect the Onkyo (the Onkyo doesn't show up as a sound device). As far as I understand from the specifications I find on the internet, this model of Onkyo simply isn't built to receive sound from a PC. Is that right? :( But is there a way around that?

Hi,

I'm trying to connect my PC audio to the Onkyo TX-SR308 receiver. I currently have an HDMI cable going from the computer to the TV, and an HDMI cable going from the TV to the receiver. While this setup gets the audio from my computer to my receiver, it requires that I have the TV on. I want the computer to go directly into the receiver so that I can listen to music (no need for video). I've tried connecting an RCA cable to various inputs on the receiver. Nothing seems to work. My computer has a SPDIF and coxial option. But before I buy a new cable, I'd like to know if these will work? If it will work, can I just connect the computer to the receiver with the new cable, or do I need to configure the receiver also?

#97 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by pglenn /forum/post/20027379

make that three now - ER1402 nettop pc connected to onkyo, sometimes it will work perfect and will continue to work, but most of the time I get blank screen with intermittant screen display for a few seconds. when the screen does display it is kinda jumpy rather than a steady picture (jumpy meaning it moves up/down about a centimeter continually). odd though that sound is perfect. I gave up on video and have pc to tv via VGA and hdmi still to onkyo for sound

This issue is frustrating and there doesn't seem to be a fix out there, as the issue could be with the PVR.

The only way around this is:

PVR->TV (HDMI-video only)

PVR->Receiver (digital audio cable)

But you lose the OSD.

#98 ·
Hi, it seems that lately no matter what I touch it goes haywire currently getting used to my Onkyo 308 and last night was configuring the speakers setting on my system and had no problem using the remote, until today for some reason or another it will not work as if its froze, have tried new batteries and have read the manual especially page 42 on resetting the remote on page 42 and try to re set it to default but nothing happens still froze as before, never have experienced anything like this on a remote or anything else for that matter..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

#99 ·
Hi,

I just picked up this receiver for $117 as someone brought it back and the only thing its missing is the box & instuctions, was originally selling for $199.

I recently down graded from Pioneer vsx-815 6.1 to get the latest codecs with Tru HD / DTS Master on this.. running on Sharp LC 60E88UN, now my reply to JChin & Dave60 is... would it be better to run hdmi from direct tv hd dvr direct with arc "on" to t.v.and run either coax or toslink to the "308" if you want surround ?

it just seems that you cut out any interference to the source ?

ps3 and sony bdp s470 running on hdmi to "308"

thanks in advance for replies!

#100 ·
Hi,

I've had this AV amp for a few months and it's been working fine.

But yesterday, when I turned on my TV / Onkyo / TV set-top box combination (I have a Humax HD TV receiver) I could only get a bright blue screen on the TV - no sound or anything.

I also have a DVD plugged into the Onkyo and that worked fine for a while - but then I started re-doing the settings it stopped working as well. And when I connected the Humax directly to the TV, that worked fine as well. So I think that I may have either changed the settings accidentally on the Onkyo (help!) or there's something wrong with it.

I can still see the 'setup' menus on the screen so the connection appears to be OK.

Anyone got any suggestions?

#101 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKeithO /forum/post/18656655

I'm not sure what you are asking mab319...

This receiver does send sound and video through the HDMI cable. I believe that if you have HDMI hooked up AND you have say a digital audio cable hooked from the same input (I'm not sure why, but I think that's what you're asking) the receiver will default to the audio from the HDMI cable.

I came across this issue (that the receiver automatically chooses HDMI audio when HDMI inputs are in use), when trying to hook up my HTPC.

Just bought the Onkyo HT-RC230 (same as this except only 60W/channel), and in my case, the "HDMI" from the HTPC is really just a DVI source (so no audio) and my audio was to be coaxial from the mobo, but since you can't set the audio independently when using a video HDMI input, I got silence.

This setup is ubiquitous in HTPC world (audio over a video card's HDMI output is much twitchier to get working compared to using digital audio (coaxial / optical) from the mobo), so I was surprised at the lack of flexibility. Is this feature available in higher end receivers? If I didn't have an extra HDMI input on my TV, I would have been out of luck.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.