post #91 of 115 Old 02-18-2011, 12:45 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by 403gl View Post

This is my setup:

Motorola DCX-3400 PVR is connected to the Onkyo SR308 via HDMI. HDMI out from Onkyo to Samsung LED (UN55C6300).

I seem to be getting HDMI handshake issues in the form of blank blue screen flashes every 15 minutes or so. I can't remember if audio cuts out as well, but this blanking problem persists whether I am watching TV with the receiver on or off via HDMI pass-through.

Thoughts?

make that three now - ER1402 nettop pc connected to onkyo, sometimes it will work perfect and will continue to work, but most of the time I get blank screen with intermittant screen display for a few seconds. when the screen does display it is kinda jumpy rather than a steady picture (jumpy meaning it moves up/down about a centimeter continually). odd though that sound is perfect. I gave up on video and have pc to tv via VGA and hdmi still to onkyo for sound

Patrick
----------
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 115 Old 02-18-2011, 07:40 PM

Well, I did end up ordering this receiver along with Yamaha NS-SP1800BL 5.1 speaker package. I'm going to have quite the mish-mash of HT components. The above along with a Sony Bravia 46EX710 and an Insignia NS-WBRDVD Blu-Ray player.
post #93 of 115 Old 03-05-2011, 03:58 PM

I got this receiver and it's working out for me, but I can't get it to work with my (non-RIHD) tv. I can only find remote codes on Onkyo's website for the 508+. Basically all I want to do is be able to turn my tv on and off with the remote.

EDIT:
nevermind, crappy remote.
http://www.simply-surround-sound.com...-receiver.html
http://www.homeaudioreceiversdot.com...ater-receiver/
post #94 of 115 Old 03-06-2011, 06:38 PM

What kind of subwoofer can I attach to this receiver?
post #95 of 115 Old 03-19-2011, 02:39 PM

Hello all.

I had a problem which I am hoping someone here can help me out with since I am a complete noob where AV systems go.

I had an Onkyo SR308 receiver for around a year that I used with an old pair of Sony Booskshelf speakers (6 Ohms). These speakers ran just fine. I had it hooked up to the Front B terminals.

I decided to upgrade to nicer set of speakers; Fluance AV- HTB

However when I plugged just the two fronts of my Fluance system (8 Ohms) into the Front A terminals, I could get sound out of the speaker connected only to the right channel. I switched around the speakers and still got sound out of only the speaker connected to the right channel. So i know my speakers are both working but when I have both connected only the one connected to the right channel produces sound.

My initial though was I had busted my left channel somehow so i now connected both speakers to the Front B terminals and saw the same thing. I guess the left channel for both Speaker Sets A and B are driven by the same amp. So I connected my old bookshelf speakers back to the Front A terminals and they BOTH produced sound.
This tells me my left and right channels work when 6 Ohm speakers are connected but not when 8 Ohm speakers are connected.

I tried switching the sound source to Mono and going through every conceivable combination in the speaker config section as well but I have had no success.

It would be awesome if someone had any ideas/suggestions.

Thanks.
post #96 of 115 Old 03-20-2011, 10:58 AM

Hi,

I'm trying to connect my PC audio to the Onkyo TX-SR308 receiver. I currently have an HDMI cable going from the computer to the TV, and an HDMI cable going from the TV to the receiver. While this setup gets the audio from my computer to my receiver, it requires that I have the TV on. I want the computer to go directly into the receiver so that I can listen to music (no need for video). I've tried connecting an RCA cable to various inputs on the receiver. Nothing seems to work. My computer has a SPDIF and coxial option. But before I buy a new cable, I'd like to know if these will work? If it will work, can I just connect the computer to the receiver with the new cable, or do I need to configure the receiver also?
post #97 of 115 Old 03-28-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pglenn View Post

make that three now - ER1402 nettop pc connected to onkyo, sometimes it will work perfect and will continue to work, but most of the time I get blank screen with intermittant screen display for a few seconds. when the screen does display it is kinda jumpy rather than a steady picture (jumpy meaning it moves up/down about a centimeter continually). odd though that sound is perfect. I gave up on video and have pc to tv via VGA and hdmi still to onkyo for sound

This issue is frustrating and there doesn't seem to be a fix out there, as the issue could be with the PVR.

The only way around this is:

PVR->TV (HDMI-video only)
PVR->Receiver (digital audio cable)
But you lose the OSD.
post #98 of 115 Old 03-28-2011, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Hi, it seems that lately no matter what I touch it goes haywire currently getting used to my Onkyo 308 and last night was configuring the speakers setting on my system and had no problem using the remote, until today for some reason or another it will not work as if its froze, have tried new batteries and have read the manual especially page 42 on resetting the remote on page 42 and try to re set it to default but nothing happens still froze as before, never have experienced anything like this on a remote or anything else for that matter..

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Ralph
post #99 of 115 Old 05-08-2011, 08:11 AM

Hi,
I just picked up this receiver for $117 as someone brought it back and the only thing its missing is the box & instuctions, was originally selling for $199.
I recently down graded from Pioneer vsx-815 6.1 to get the latest codecs with Tru HD / DTS Master on this.. running on Sharp LC 60E88UN, now my reply to JChin & Dave60 is... would it be better to run hdmi from direct tv hd dvr direct with arc "on" to t.v.and run either coax or toslink to the "308" if you want surround ?
it just seems that you cut out any interference to the source ?

ps3 and sony bdp s470 running on hdmi to "308"

thanks in advance for replies!

Running Man - " I'll Buy That For A Dollar"
post #100 of 115 Old 05-19-2011, 10:12 AM

Hi,

I've had this AV amp for a few months and it's been working fine.

But yesterday, when I turned on my TV / Onkyo / TV set-top box combination (I have a Humax HD TV receiver) I could only get a bright blue screen on the TV - no sound or anything.

I also have a DVD plugged into the Onkyo and that worked fine for a while - but then I started re-doing the settings it stopped working as well. And when I connected the Humax directly to the TV, that worked fine as well. So I think that I may have either changed the settings accidentally on the Onkyo (help!) or there's something wrong with it.

I can still see the 'setup' menus on the screen so the connection appears to be OK.

Anyone got any suggestions?
post #101 of 115 Old 06-02-2011, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKeithO View Post

I'm not sure what you are asking mab319...

This receiver does send sound and video through the HDMI cable. I believe that if you have HDMI hooked up AND you have say a digital audio cable hooked from the same input (I'm not sure why, but I think that's what you're asking) the receiver will default to the audio from the HDMI cable.

I came across this issue (that the receiver automatically chooses HDMI audio when HDMI inputs are in use), when trying to hook up my HTPC.

Just bought the Onkyo HT-RC230 (same as this except only 60W/channel), and in my case, the "HDMI" from the HTPC is really just a DVI source (so no audio) and my audio was to be coaxial from the mobo, but since you can't set the audio independently when using a video HDMI input, I got silence.

This setup is ubiquitous in HTPC world (audio over a video card's HDMI output is much twitchier to get working compared to using digital audio (coaxial / optical) from the mobo), so I was surprised at the lack of flexibility. Is this feature available in higher end receivers? If I didn't have an extra HDMI input on my TV, I would have been out of luck.
post #102 of 115 Old 09-30-2011, 06:12 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Gotta love me ONKYO 308 amplifier which im hooking it up with a 3D 65'' TV and JAMO 5.1 tower speakers !
post #103 of 115 Old 12-24-2011, 11:00 PM - Thread Starter

I'm having trouble getting ANY audio out of my Onkyo TX SR308 since yesterday.

I had an iPhone connected to the aux to listen to some music, when all of a sudden I got a call from someone on the iPhone, and the signal was too loud or something because the receiver jumped to the standby mode with the red light. So, I disconnected the power cable and restarted it.

When it was back on, everything looked allright, but I had no audio. I have tried various sources (HTPC connected with HDMI, Xbox360 connected with optical, iPhone with Aux) But nothing works anymore. I double checked all the cables and settings like speakers A/B, I even reset the system a couple of times using the instructions in the handbook, but nothing works. I thought maybe my 5.1 boxes were broken (highly unlikely) but when I plugged in a headphone in the headphone jack I still had no audio whatsoever.

Is there anything more I can do to troubleshoot this or is my receiver dead?
post #104 of 115 Old 02-16-2012, 04:42 PM

Hello!

Today i was gonna hook up my old X-box to my Onkyo TX SR308 via component, but cant get any picture, ive tried all input options (in1,in2) on all possible sources, and made sure no hdmi and component input was the same. Dose anyone have any idea what could possibly be wrong? Oh and ive made sure its nothing wrong with the xbox, its working when i connect it directly in the TV.

Thank you very much!
post #105 of 115 Old 09-09-2012, 08:08 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by oosskkaarr View Post

Hello!

Today i was gonna hook up my old X-box to my Onkyo TX SR308 via component, but cant get any picture, ive tried all input options (in1,in2) on all possible sources, and made sure no hdmi and component input was the same. Dose anyone have any idea what could possibly be wrong? Oh and ive made sure its nothing wrong with the xbox, its working when i connect it directly in the TV.

Thank you very much!

Have you run component cables out to your TV and not just HDMI? Component IN will only show on the component outputs, not HDMI.
post #106 of 115 Old 09-09-2012, 08:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Weird problem with my PS3 Slim. If I run it through the Onkyo to my Visio SV420M TV it will sometimes lose the signal (HDMI). If I run it out to a Dell monitor it won't. That leads me to believe it is a problem with the TV, but I'm working this angle as well...

If I have the PS3 set to RGB it will drop very consistently, whereas Y'Pb'Pr results in a more "stable" picture. Anyone else experience a weird combination of gear that causes this? Sometimes the picture returns, many times it does not. Multiple power cycles of all the gear involved is necessary to get it to come back...

Infuriating...

(I should add I've swapped all the inputs, verified all the cables, factory reset the TV, etc.) Is there a firmware update available?
post #107 of 115 Old 12-27-2012, 08:00 PM

I have the onkyo tx-sr308, I use the HDMI in for DVD, rear speakers are not working, they are pluged into the surr, center, fronts in the A treminals, unit is set to A, listening mode set to movie, I used the movie Independence Day for testing, when I go to the level calabration I get white noise on all speakers but no sound durring any part of the movie fron the back speakers, any clues?
post #108 of 115 Old 12-28-2012, 05:14 AM

If you get white noise on all speakers during calibration, the sistem works fine. See if your movie is 5.1 DD audio. You'll have to see on onkyo's display also Dolby Digital 5.1, then you should hear the right sound efects (when are available) on rear speakers !
Happy Holidays from Romania !
post #109 of 115 Old 04-15-2013, 07:36 PM

Hello,

I am thinking of setting up TX-SR308 with Polk Audio 45B monitor pair as front speakers.

I will connect TV and Setupbox with it., TV has inbuilt player (via USB) ..it eliminates the need for BD Player.

Later i plan to add subwoofer , central and rear speakers.

Can the experienced owners comment about the compatibility between TX-SR308 with Polk Audio 45B monitor pair ?

Thanks
Airan
post #110 of 115 Old 04-20-2013, 02:22 AM

Hello TX-SR308 owners ..Any recommendations ???
post #111 of 115 Old 04-20-2013, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by airan View Post

Hello TX-SR308 owners ..Any recommendations ???

Why wouldn't the Polk work???? the question would be how would they sound and only one way to find out,stop by a Best Buy store and see if they have one on display.. I bought the Energy 5.1 Classic system and using it with the 308.

Good Luck

Ralph
post #112 of 115 Old 04-22-2013, 02:27 AM

Cool.. Good to see the thread active..

I have setup Onkyo TX-SR308 with Polk Audio 45B monitor pair connected to by TV and Set top box.

Here is the setup.

1) HDMI and Optical going out from SET-TOP BOX to RECEIVER IN

2) OPTICAL (2) going out from TV to Receiver IN. TV has built in USB plug and play for audio and video.

3) HDMI Out going from receiver to TV. Both Speakers connected to LEFT and RIGHT volume.

I am experiencing very low volume. In all below cases, i have to bump up the receiver volume at-least to 40+ to hear something from speakers.

Case 1) When i play anything from Set-top box , the volume is very low. I have to bump up receiver volume to 40+ to hear sound from receiver.

Case 2 ) When i connect music player via AUX, Volume is very low..I need to have atleast 40 volume in receiver to hear something.

Case 3) When i play normal SD movie using USB in TV, Volume is very low

CASE 4) However, when i play any Dolby Digital Full HD content in TV via USB, then the sound is much better..I can hear even when Receiver volume is 25~26.

I am wondering why in normal cases the volume is so low ..Do i need to fine tune some settings ..or It is Normal to have receiver volume of 40.

Please advice.

Thanks
Airan
post #113 of 115 Old 04-22-2013, 11:41 PM

OK .. on another forum, some guys commented that it is normal to have 40 volume for Onkyo..

It would be good to hear from some 308 owners too.
post #114 of 115 Old 04-23-2013, 07:03 AM

Using a mix of Pioneer and Polk speakers, we set the volume on our HT-R380 (TX-SR308) between 20-30 depending on the source (DirecTV, Tuner, iPod or CD), content within the source, and Listening Mode. The exception is using PC audio through Game In analog (RCA) jacks and volume setting of 40 and Listening Mode. I have not been able to get ARC working correctly on HDMI, so I use an optical connection from our Vizio 601i-A3 HDTV for the audio.
post #115 of 115 Old 09-20-2013, 10:06 AM

Before I go about hooking up connections everywhere, I want to know if I can output hdmi audio and component video at the same time? Don't see why I couldn't?

Patrick
----------
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page