The "Official" Onkyo TX-SR308 Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 115 Old 04-22-2010, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The Onkyo TX-SR308

At the budget-conscious end of the home entertainment spectrum, you’re looking to maximize performance and features without putting undue strain on your finances. At Onkyo, we get it. That’s why we’ve redefined the entry-level A/V receiver once more, with the high-value TX-SR308. Not only is it ready for 3D video—thanks to its HDMI™ 1.4a specification—but it also handles high-definition lossless audio codecs from Dolby and DTS. Advanced A/V processing on a bedrock of classic Onkyo engineering is complemented by a bevy of convenient features: a new overlaid On-Screen Display for easy adjustment of settings; a Universal Port for single-cable connection of peripherals; and a front-panel audio input for direct connection of iPods and other MP3 players. With the TX-SR308, you get an affordable home cinema centerpiece ready to drive the latest high-def entertainment sources.

Advanced features:
  • HDMI™ Version 1.4a to Support 3D Video Formats, Audio Return Channel, Deep Color™, x.v.Color™, LipSync, Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio™, DVD-Audio, Super Audio CD, Multichannel PCM, and CEC
  • Dolby® TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio™, Dolby® Digital Plus, DTS-HD High-Resolution Audio™ Decoding
  • Universal Port for Single-Cable Connection of Optional Onkyo Dock for iPod or DAB+ Radio Tuner
  • Overlaid On-Screen Display (OSD) via HDMI

Amplifier features:
  • 100 W/Ch at 6 Ω, 1 kHz, 1 Channel Driven, IEC
  • H.C.P.S. (High Current Power Supply) Massive High Power Transformer
  • Optimum Gain Volume Circuitry
  • Jitter-Cleaning Circuit Technology

Processing features:
  • Burr-Brown 192 kHz/24-Bit DACs (PCM1690) for All Channels
  • Advanced 32-Bit Processing DSP Chip
  • 4 DSP Modes for Gaming: Rock, Sports, Action, and RPG (Role Playing Game)
  • Music Optimizer™ for Compressed Digital Music Files
  • Theater-Dimensional Virtual Surround Function
  • CinemaFILTER™
  • Direct Mode
  • Double Bass Function
  • Non-Scaling Configuration
  • A-Form Listening Mode Memory

Connection features:
  • Audio and 1080p Video Processing via HDMI (3 Inputs and 1 Output)
  • HDTV-Capable (720p/1080i) Component Video Switching (2 Inputs and 1 Output)
  • Front-Panel Audio Input for Portable Devices
  • 3 Digital Inputs (2 Optical and 1 Coaxial)
  • 4 A/V Inputs and 1 Output
  • Video Output (Monitor)
  • 1 Audio Input
  • Subwoofer Pre Out
  • Speaker A/B Terminals
  • Banana Plug-Compatible Speaker Posts for Front L/R Channels (Speaker A)
  • Color-Coded Speaker Terminals
  • Headphone Jack

Other features:
  • Crossover Adjustment (40/50/60/80/100/120/150/200 Hz)
  • A/V Sync Control Function (Up to 100 ms in 10 ms Steps)
  • Tone Control (Bass/Treble) for Front L/R Channels
  • 3-Mode Display Dimmer (Normal/Dim/Dimmer)
  • Sleep Timer (via Remote)
  • Battery-Free Memory Backup
  • RDS (PS/RT/PTY/TP)
  • 40 FM/AM Random Presets
  • RIHD (Remote Interactive over HDMI) for System Control
  • Compatible with RI (Remote Interactive) Dock for iPod
  • RI (Remote Interactive) Remote Control

Official Website: Onkyo TX-SR308
Small review: Hometheatergears.com
CNET Review: Onkyo TX-SR308
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 Old 04-22-2010, 06:19 AM

LOVE IT! still debating on getting this one or the Yamaha HTR-6240 / RX-V465. Tough choice!? ahhhhhhhhhhh
post #3 of 115 Old 04-22-2010, 09:06 AM

Nice post coendeurloo.

A few more things people might be interested in:
Official USA Website: Onkyo TX-SR308

The 308 is Onkyo's "entry level" unit. Below the 308 are only stereo receivers or home theater in a box. Moving up from the 308 to the 508 you would pick up these additional features:
-80watts (0.08% THD 20-20kHz) vs 65watts (0.7% THD 20-20kHz)
-All Discrete Circuitry (which presumably means better SQ)
-Bi-amp capabilities
-7.1 vs 5.1
-Dolby PLIIz (so you can make use of those 7 speakers with 5.1 tracks)
-Audyssey Dynamic EQ
-Audyssey Dynamic Volume
-4 vs 3 hdmi inputs
-Zone 2 line+powered out vs only A+B powered out
-Sirius Ready vs not
-Audyssey 2EQ room calibration vs no calibration

All in all though, the 308 looks like a nice unit for the price, as do the rest of the Onkyo xx8 lineup.

Moving from last year's 307 to the 308 here is what's different:
-The latest High Def format decoding: Dolby TrueHD, DD Plus, and DTS-HD MA vs none in the 307
-no Audyssey Dynamic EQ vs this was in the 307
-no Audyssey Dynamic Volume vs this was in the 307
-Burr-Brown DACs vs not Burr-Brown
-HDMI 1.4a vs 1.3a
-HD radio ready vs not
-basic on screen display vs none
-no Audyssey 2EQ room calibration vs the 307 had this

Its really nice the 308 picked up the Burr-Brown DACs previously only available if you moved all the way up to the 707, but its a shame the 308 lost Audyssey. Oh and there is hdmi 1.4a if you're into that 3D thing, but I doubt that matters in an entry level unit...
post #4 of 115 Old 04-23-2010, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

I've got the TX-SR308 and I absolutely love it, the on screen display is very handy for those quick adjustments.

The configuration, settings, presets, all is wonderfull and easy to work with. Oh yeah, it sounds great too.

HDMI 1.4 is also handy for ARC (Audio Return Channel), too bad my HDTV does not support it though.
post #5 of 115 Old 04-23-2010, 02:33 AM

It funny how so many people make a big deal about about Burr Brown DAC's when no one would actually be able to tell the difference between the Analog Devices DAC's that Onkyo has used for a long time. Pure marketing BS IMO.
post #6 of 115 Old 04-23-2010, 02:35 AM

To anyone interested here is a German review of the 308 with some nice internal shots.

Use Google translate to read it if interested.

http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2010/...tx_sr308.shtml
post #7 of 115 Old 04-24-2010, 12:51 PM
SVM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coendeurloo View Post

I've got the TX-SR308 and I absolutely love it, the on screen display is very handy for those quick adjustments.

The configuration, settings, presets, all is wonderfull and easy to work with. Oh yeah, it sounds great too.

HDMI 1.4 is also handy for ARC (Audio Return Channel), too bad my HDTV does not support it though.

coendeurloo - I am leaning on this unit to use in my home office primarily for plugging my fullsize headphones (Senn HD380-PRO 54 ohms & Beyer DT880 32 Ohms), the source would be my HTPC (Gigabyte GA-E7AUM-DS2H- Nvidia 9400) using HDMI connection, the headphone output quality from my HTPC as expected is miserable. Hoping I can get away by not investing in Headphone amps or external DAC units- on paper the 308 specs look good for the price.

I have few requests: 1> If you happen to have some fullsize headphones, the sound quality out of the headphone jack (hoping it can drive high impedence phones)
2> If connected to a PC via HDMI - curious how the MS-Windows (Vista/7) is showing the sound output properties in the playback devices?
3> How warm does it get on the top side? I have TXNR807 and does get quite warm! Thx
post #8 of 115 Old 04-24-2010, 03:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NADz View Post

It funny how so many people make a big deal about about Burr Brown DAC's when no one would actually be able to tell the difference between the Analog Devices DAC's that Onkyo has used for a long time. Pure marketing BS IMO.

Its not marketing BS, Hook the receiver up to decent speakers and you'll hear the "difference".
or listen to decently recorded music

One shall stand... One Shall Fall... - Optimus Prime
post #9 of 115 Old 04-25-2010, 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NADz View Post

To anyone interested here is a German review of the 308 with some nice internal shots.

Use Google translate to read it if interested.

http://www.areadvd.de/hardware/2010/...tx_sr308.shtml

Does it run hot? The 608 has a fan. Not sure about the 508, but the 308 doesn't from those pictures.
post #10 of 115 Old 04-25-2010, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyknight View Post

Does it run hot? The 608 has a fan. Not sure about the 508, but the 308 doesn't from those pictures.

Not sure. But the amp section in the 608 is the 707's amp section.

Onkyo's have always run warm. Which i think has to do with how they bias the amps.
post #11 of 115 Old 04-25-2010, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Leggs View Post

Its not marketing BS, Hook the receiver up to decent speakers and you'll hear the "difference".
or listen to decently recorded music

Yeah and if you had a blind fold on you couldn't hear the difference. Listening tests prove this.
post #12 of 115 Old 04-25-2010, 04:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVM View Post

I have few requests: 1> If you happen to have some fullsize headphones, the sound quality out of the headphone jack (hoping it can drive high impedence phones)
2> If connected to a PC via HDMI - curious how the MS-Windows (Vista/7) is showing the sound output properties in the playback devices?
3> How warm does it get on the top side? I have TXNR807 and does get quite warm! Thx

I can't help you on the headphones part, I do have some 'budget' headphones but I rarely use them. I use an XBMCLive install on my HTPC so I can't help you on the windows 7 part either.

The amp does get warm, I have my Asrock ION 330 stacked on top of it though, no problems with it to this date. I plan on rearranging everything soon though.
post #13 of 115 Old 04-26-2010, 09:46 AM

Hi Guys, I've got this receiver (got the HT-S3300 HTiB) hooked up to a Samsung UN55C7000 3D TV, Samsung BD-C6900 3D Blu-ray player and my trusty old Xbox 360. Now keep in mind I am still waiting on the final HDMI v1.4 cable to arrive, but when I hook up the Blu-ray player to the receiver and the receiver to the TV I cannot seem to get the receiver to decode Dolby TrueHD off of the Blu-ray disc.

I just jumped into the Blu-ray scene with the purchase of the new TV and everything (it just so happened it was time to upgrade my gear the day after 3D was released in Canada ) so forgive me if I am doing something wrong here. If I set the audio in the BD-C6900's menu to PCM everything works just fine, the receiver shows PCM and I get sound in every part of the disc. If I set the audio on the BD-C6900's menu to Bit-Steam (audiophile) I get sound in all of the previews and menu's and such, as soon as the feature begins I lose all sound and the Dolby TrueHD indicator doesn't light up on the receiver.

As understand it PCM basically means that the Blu-ray player is doing all of the decoding and sending the decoded data right to the receiver/speakers. To get the Onkyo doing the decoding I need to send the signal as bit-stream. Does that sound about right? Will the Onkyo produce a better sound than the BD-C6900 should it be doing the decoding? Since I am still short one HDMI cable I am just re-purposing the HDMI cable from my cable box until the new one gets here, I have NO IDEA what version of cable the cable box came with, however I did get a 3D signal from it when I first got the new setup so I am assuming at least v1.3.

Any ideas guys? Am I setting something up wrong here or what are your thoughts?
post #14 of 115 Old 04-26-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKeithO View Post

Hi Guys, I've got this receiver (got the HT-S3300 HTiB) hooked up to a Samsung UN55C7000 3D TV, Samsung BD-C6900 3D Blu-ray player and my trusty old Xbox 360. Now keep in mind I am still waiting on the final HDMI v1.4 cable to arrive, but when I hook up the Blu-ray player to the receiver and the receiver to the TV I cannot seem to get the receiver to decode Dolby TrueHD off of the Blu-ray disc.

I just jumped into the Blu-ray scene with the purchase of the new TV and everything (it just so happened it was time to upgrade my gear the day after 3D was released in Canada ) so forgive me if I am doing something wrong here. If I set the audio in the BD-C6900's menu to PCM everything works just fine, the receiver shows PCM and I get sound in every part of the disc. If I set the audio on the BD-C6900's menu to Bit-Steam (audiophile) I get sound in all of the previews and menu's and such, as soon as the feature begins I lose all sound and the Dolby TrueHD indicator doesn't light up on the receiver.

As understand it PCM basically means that the Blu-ray player is doing all of the decoding and sending the decoded data right to the receiver/speakers. To get the Onkyo doing the decoding I need to send the signal as bit-stream. Does that sound about right? Will the Onkyo produce a better sound than the BD-C6900 should it be doing the decoding? Since I am still short one HDMI cable I am just re-purposing the HDMI cable from my cable box until the new one gets here, I have NO IDEA what version of cable the cable box came with, however I did get a 3D signal from it when I first got the new setup so I am assuming at least v1.3.

Any ideas guys? Am I setting something up wrong here or what are your thoughts?

Hi BigKeithO, beside setting the BD player to Bitstream, also set Secondary Audio in the player to Off.
post #15 of 115 Old 04-26-2010, 10:07 AM

Thanks JChin, I'll give that a go.

Could you explain the secondary audio setting to me real quick if you don't mind? I don't recall seeing a secondary audio setting in the menus to be honest. I'm not sure what it does, I like to be informed with my A/V gear, there have been a lot of changes since I was lasting educating myself on the latest and greatest.
post #16 of 115 Old 04-26-2010, 10:21 AM

JChin - I think I answered my own question. Secondary audio you are talking about is the directors commentary and that sort of thing correct? According to the manual that comes with the BD-C6900 I've got 3 settings to choose from.

1. PCM
2. Bitstream (re-encode)
3. Bitstream (audiophile)

According to your last post I need to turn off secondary audio, I think I've already done this. The description under Bitstream (audiophile) reads:
"Outputs only the Primary audio soundtrack (main soundtrack of the movie) so that your receiver can decode the audio bitstream. You will not hear Secondary and Effect audio."

Yet I get NO audio from the "main soundtrack of the movie" when I use this setting. I was kind of thinking/hoping that it is a bandwidth issue with the HDMI cable I am using. I won't be able to test my theory until the new cable gets here however, should be later this week. Just hoping for a quick fix, something done wrong in the setup. The receiver should pickup the TrueHD on its own once the it receives the signal, correct? I cannot selected TrueHD at all when the movie is playing, its like the signal just isn't getting that far.
post #17 of 115 Old 04-26-2010, 05:11 PM

Does the 508 have a fan?. The xx7s were HOT at HHgregg
post #18 of 115 Old 04-27-2010, 06:50 AM

Quote:

JChin - I think I answered my own question. Secondary audio you are talking about is the directors commentary and that sort of thing correct? According to the manual that comes with the BD-C6900 I've got 3 settings to choose from.

1. PCM
2. Bitstream (re-encode)
3. Bitstream (audiophile)

According to your last post I need to turn off secondary audio, I think I've already done this. The description under Bitstream (audiophile) reads:
"Outputs only the Primary audio soundtrack (main soundtrack of the movie) so that your receiver can decode the audio bitstream. You will not hear Secondary and Effect audio."

Yet I get NO audio from the "main soundtrack of the movie" when I use this setting. I was kind of thinking/hoping that it is a bandwidth issue with the HDMI cable I am using. I won't be able to test my theory until the new cable gets here however, should be later this week. Just hoping for a quick fix, something done wrong in the setup. The receiver should pickup the TrueHD on its own once the it receives the signal, correct? I cannot selected TrueHD at all when the movie is playing, its like the signal just isn't getting that far.

Ehi mate!
I have the same problem!
No True Hd and DTS HD. I believe that there is a kind of incompatibility between our Onkyo and the BD-C6900.
In fact i've tried with a Sony Bluray Player and the onkyo works fine! I have also read TrueHd on his display!
post #19 of 115 Old 04-27-2010, 07:10 AM

@ max.23 - Well that's no good! Last night I downloaded the latest firmware on the BD-C6900 (v1009.3 upgraded from v1002.9) and still no luck with the TrueHD. As far as I can see everything is connected properly and the settings are also correct. Unfortunately I don't have another Blu-ray player to test with! I have been directing my rage towards the Onkyo unit but I think it was misplaced judging from your post.

Guess it is time to contact Samsung and see if they can shed any light on the issue. On a side note does anyone know if there is actually any benefit from allowing the Onkyo to decode TrueHD/dts-HD rather than having the Blu-ray player decode and stream as PCM? Reading over the forums it seems everyone is split on the issue. Some people swear decoding is decoding and it doesn't really matter which unit is doing it, others think that the Onkyo will provide a better sound if it is decoding. Any thoughts?
post #20 of 115 Old 04-27-2010, 07:37 AM

Quote:

@ max.23 - Well that's no good! Last night I downloaded the latest firmware on the BD-C6900 (v1009.3 upgraded from v1002.9) and still no luck with the TrueHD. As far as I can see everything is connected properly and the settings are also correct. Unfortunately I don't have another Blu-ray player to test with! I have been directing my rage towards the Onkyo unit but I think it was misplaced judging from your post.

Guess it is time to contact Samsung and see if they can shed any light on the issue. On a side note does anyone know if there is actually any benefit from allowing the Onkyo to decode TrueHD/dts-HD rather than having the Blu-ray player decode and stream as PCM? Reading over the forums it seems everyone is split on the issue. Some people swear decoding is decoding and it doesn't really matter which unit is doing it, others think that the Onkyo will provide a better sound if it is decoding. Any thoughts?

Hi mate,
no change with the new firmware form Samsung (already done!)
And now???
If i put Samsung on PCM, then what can I do on ONKYO?
post #21 of 115 Old 04-27-2010, 07:48 AM

max.23 - if you set the Samsung to PCM the Onkyo should just pick up the sound. As far as I can tell you are still getting TrueHD/dts-HD over PCM, it is just the Samsung doing the decoding rather than the Onkyo.

I've got a support request into Samsung about this issue with the player, I'll keep you posted with their reply when I get it. Let me know if you figure out a way to make it work!
post #22 of 115 Old 04-27-2010, 08:05 AM

Quote:

max.23 - if you set the Samsung to PCM the Onkyo should just pick up the sound. As far as I can tell you are still getting TrueHD/dts-HD over PCM, it is just the Samsung doing the decoding rather than the Onkyo.

I've got a support request into Samsung about this issue with the player, I'll keep you posted with their reply when I get it. Let me know if you figure out a way to make it work!

thanks mate!
My last try: 1.4 HDMI Cable!
post #23 of 115 Old 04-28-2010, 05:07 PM

Hi, I'm a newbie and I'm debating on if I should get this or not. They have it on sale for $599.99 with the klipsch hd 500 speakers. This has only 65w/channel, I was wondering if this is enough for my living room. My living room is fairly small not to big. Its between this and the denon 1610..........What to do? Any suggestions? Thanks. This receiver seems to have all the bells a whistles, but just maybe a little underpowered. How is this compared with the Sony str-dh810? The sony receiver has 110w/channel, but everybody seems to dis-like them. I'm just confussed on what to get right now............I'm looking to spend about 600 bucks total........this seems reasonable..............
post #24 of 115 Old 04-29-2010, 02:22 PM

I cannot comment on those other receivers you are asking about, I'd give the Onkyo two thumbs up for the price however. It plays back all of the latest Blu-ray codecs, it is HDMI 1.4 compatable (so you can go 3D should you want too), it seems to have plenty of power for a small/mid-sized room. I moved up to this from a 1200W Panasonic HTiB that was a good 4 or 5 years old and I am amazed with the difference. It may seem under powered but unless you like to watch movies or listen to music at a volume that makes your ears bleed you'll be happy with the power.

The one complaint I do agree with about this system is the lack of a power sub (at least the pre-out), makes upgrading the sub down the road a little tricky. That said I found the sub that comes with the package for this unit is more than enough for the size of my viewing room. The wife complains that it is "too bass-y" all the time.

Maybe someone with some experience with those other receivers you mentioned can jump in here and give you some feedback about them.
post #25 of 115 Old 04-30-2010, 12:07 AM

anyone know if this receiver would work well with my paradigm cinema CT70? They're the most basic level 5.1 set sold by Paradigm. Just wondering if the 60w/channel is going to be sufficient? I'm mostly looking for dolby true HD and DTS-master through my PS3. Probably won't upgrade for at least 5 years.
post #26 of 115 Old 05-07-2010, 08:33 AM

I bought this with the Kilpsch speakers package Samt was looking at. I finally decided to replace my old Onkyo with this one. But I do have two questions. Can you watch cable with only the TV on if you have everything hooked up with HDMI? I have looked in the menu but I don't see any setting that looks like it would change that. Also does the receiver convert component hook ups or pass them through the HDMI so I don't have to change the input on my TV?

Thanks for any help on this.
post #27 of 115 Old 05-15-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:

I cannot comment on those other receivers you are asking about, I'd give the Onkyo two thumbs up for the price however. It plays back all of the latest Blu-ray codecs, it is HDMI 1.4 compatable (so you can go 3D should you want too), it seems to have plenty of power for a small/mid-sized room. I moved up to this from a 1200W Panasonic HTiB that was a good 4 or 5 years old and I am amazed with the difference. It may seem under powered but unless you like to watch movies or listen to music at a volume that makes your ears bleed you'll be happy with the power.

The one complaint I do agree with about this system is the lack of a power sub (at least the pre-out), makes upgrading the sub down the road a little tricky. That said I found the sub that comes with the package for this unit is more than enough for the size of my viewing room. The wife complains that it is "too bass-y" all the time.

Maybe someone with some experience with those other receivers you mentioned can jump in here and give you some feedback about them.

BigkeithO,

have you got a reply from samsung support yet. Any success in making blu ray player sent the bitstream. Let me know. I have the same issue with onkyo 5300
post #28 of 115 Old 05-16-2010, 07:13 AM

I am thinking about getting this AVR, but have a quick question. I know some receivers will output all video through a single HDMI cord b/t the receiver and the TV no matter the input signal (composite/component/HDMI). Will this receiver be able to do this? I read the manual, and from what it says I do not think it will, but I would like someone who owns this receiver to confirm.

"MYTH: Three Americans every year die from rabies.
FACT: Four Americans every year die from rabies."
post #29 of 115 Old 05-19-2010, 08:48 AM

I'm not sure what you are asking mab319...

This receiver does send sound and video through the HDMI cable. I believe that if you have HDMI hooked up AND you have say a digital audio cable hooked from the same input (I'm not sure why, but I think that's what you're asking) the receiver will default to the audio from the HDMI cable.

Ah! I think I get it now. You mean, for example, you have an old school Xbox 360 hooked up to the receiver with component cable and a digital audio cable will it send the video to the TV over a single HDMI Out cable? If that is the question the answer is no, this receiver will not convert between different signal formats. If you use component in, it will only work with component out.

Hope that helps.
post #30 of 115 Old 05-20-2010, 12:32 PM

Quote:

Ah! I think I get it now. You mean, for example, you have an old school Xbox 360 hooked up to the receiver with component cable and a digital audio cable will it send the video to the TV over a single HDMI Out cable? If that is the question the answer is no, this receiver will not convert between different signal formats. If you use component in, it will only work with component out.

Hope that helps.

That's exactly what I was asking. Thank you for the reply. That is sort of a disappointment about this AVR, though. I have a 605 that does that (getting a AVR for my parents), and just assumed that all the newer models would.

"MYTH: Three Americans every year die from rabies.
FACT: Four Americans every year die from rabies."
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page