Onkyo TX-SR308 - TrueHD/dts-HD Problems - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 41 Old 04-26-2010, 01:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

I've got the new Onkyo HT-S3300 system (includes the TX-SR308 receiver, strangely enough its labeled TX-SR380 on the front and manual...) hooked up to a Samsung UN55C7000 3D TV, Samsung BD-C6900 3D Blu-ray player, Shaw cable box and an Xbox 360. Everything but the 360 are connected using HDMI cables (v1.4 for the Blu-ray player and from the receiver to the TV).

Now when I setup the Blu-ray player to bitstream (audiophile) the audio to the receiver I get sound in the previews and menus but nothing at all in the main movie. The receiver doesn't show the Dolby TrueHD logo on the front when I am attempting to do this either (I don't have any dts-HD discs to test). If I set the Blu-ray player back to PCM sound works just fine.

Does anyone have any idea if something needs to be set on the receiver to enable Dobly TrueHD decoding? Perhaps something in the HDMI setup? Looking at the Onkyo website all I can find is a suggestion to turn audio from the TV speakers over HDMI to "off" which has been done with no luck.

I'm stumped but would like to get this resolved. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Blu-ray and these new audio formats so forgive me if this is something easy.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old 04-28-2010, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKeithO View Post

Does anyone have any idea if something needs to be set on the receiver to enable Dobly TrueHD decoding? Perhaps something in the HDMI setup? Looking at the Onkyo website all I can find is a suggestion to turn audio from the TV speakers over HDMI to "off" which has been done with no luck.

I'm stumped but would like to get this resolved. I'm a bit of a noob when it comes to Blu-ray and these new audio formats so forgive me if this is something easy.

I am a worse noob when it comes to Blu-ray and new digital audio. I will be getting a setup very similar to yours (TX-SR308/UN46C7000/BD-C6900) soon so I have been following the forums here as well as reading user manuals of these components.

This could be a dumb idea but just in case you you haven't tried already... Have you looked at setting the SR308 to?
1. Listening Mode (page 25 of user manual): MOVIE/TV - Dolby TrueHD
2. Digital Input Signal Format (page 36): Auto

You can confirm these settings by displaying source info (page 19).

I too am curious to know a solution so please post back whether or not this works.

Cheers & Good Luck!
post #3 of 41 Old 04-28-2010, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmtls View Post

I am a worse noob when it comes to Blu-ray and new digital audio. I will be getting a setup very similar to yours (TX-SR308/UN46C7000/BD-C6900) soon so I have been following the forums here as well as reading user manuals of these components.

This could be a dumb idea but just in case you you haven't tried already... Have you looked at setting the SR308 to?
1. Listening Mode (page 25 of user manual): MOVIE/TV - Dolby TrueHD
2. Digital Input Signal Format (page 36): Auto

You can confirm these settings by displaying source info (page 19).

I too am curious to know a solution so please post back whether or not this works.

Cheers & Good Luck!

Not a bad idea in theory vmtls.

The problem is that I cannot set the listening mode on the unit to Dolby TrueHD at all. I've been educating myself with manuals and AVS forum posts on different Blu-ray audio in's and out's. What I've learned is there are basically two ways to get the audio from the Blu-ray disc to your speakers.

1. PCM - With PCM your player will do all of the decoding of the audio and send the decoded signal to your receiver. At this point the receiver doesn't do anything further with the audio other than send it to your speakers. Keep in mind this is still the lossless audio track (either Dolby TrueHD or dts-HD).
2. Bitstream (either TrueHD or dts-HD) - When you Bitstream you are taking the raw audio data off of the disc and sending it to your receiver to be decoded. The receiver runs the audio through whatever the hell is inside there and spits out the audio through the speakers.

So your 2 options are to have the Blu-ray player do the decoding (the BD-C6900 does both lossless formats) or to Bitstream it and have the receiver do the decoding. Reading over various other forum posts it seems that people more knowledgeable than myself seem to think either way is as good as the other. In fact I've seen some people call Bitstream decoding on the receiver a gimmick. I would like to be able to test it for myself but at this point I still cannot get sound when I Bitstream the audio.

As for your suggestion of the Digital Signal Input setting that won't work. Digital input on the TX-SR308 is for the optical/coax inputs, as my setup is all connected using HDMI v1.4 this does not apply to me. If you are reading through the manual for the receiver you should come across a little blurb in there that says any HDMI connections over ride whatever you set in the Digital Input section. I just turned the option off on the Blu-ray input on the receiver.

So don't despair too much. Don't get me wrong the audio is still fantastic with this setup, leagues beyond what I had before the upgrade and this is an entry level system! Sure the player might not decode the audio but you can still get the lossless tracks over PCM, you won't be missing out on anything.
post #4 of 41 Old 04-28-2010, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

I forgot to mention that I came across another guy in these forums who has the same receiver/BD player setup. He is also having issues getting the Bitstreaming to work over HDMI. At this point it seems to be an issue with the Bitstream between the Onkyo and the BD-C6900.

I've actually sent in help requests to both Onkyo and Samsung to see if they are aware of the issue and if they can do anything about it. Hopefully a fix is just a firmware update away, keep in mind both of these units are about a month old at this point, they probably don't have many people with this exact setup complaining just yet.
post #5 of 41 Old 04-28-2010, 02:58 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked: 1374
Have you tried setting Secondary Audio in the Sammy BDP to OFF as that works with Denon AVRs that have that problem?

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun too, will return call if I don't pick up)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #6 of 41 Old 04-28-2010, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Have you tried setting Secondary Audio in the Sammy BDP to OFF as that works with Denon AVRs that have that problem?

Three options on the Samsung BD player.

1. PCM
2. Bitstream (re-encode)
3. Bitstream (audiophile)

Manual says the audiophile setting turns off secondary and effect's audio. I believe this is the setting you are referring too jdsmoothie? This is actually the one and only setting that doesn't produce sound on my receiver. Sound cuts out as soon as the main movie begins to play.
post #7 of 41 Old 04-28-2010, 03:31 PM
585-645-1006

Sounds like an Onkyo bug then to be sure. There is a similar issue with the 2010 Denon AVR models and some Samsung BDPs which was resolved with a firmware update, so likely Onkyo will issue one as well.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AV Gear 
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #8 of 41 Old 04-28-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:

So don't despair too much. Don't get me wrong the audio is still fantastic with this setup, leagues beyond what I had before the upgrade and this is an entry level system! Sure the player might not decode the audio but you can still get the lossless tracks over PCM, you won't be missing out on anything.

BigKeithO, thanks for the update!

Glad to hear the audio is still fantastic. I am sure I will be more than happy with PCM output considering where I am coming from.

OT: If you will be using this TV for OTA reception and plan to use Audio Return Channel (ARC) on the SR308 I would appreciate if you could report back with results when you get a chance. TIA!
post #9 of 41 Old 04-29-2010, 01:15 AM

Hi Guys!
I have the same problem between Onkyo and Samsung BD C6900.
For me the solution is to put the Samsung audio to PCM and setr the Onkyo to Direct: everything works wonderful even if don't get the Dolby True HD logo on Onkyo.

But PCM audio is better than the other settings?
post #10 of 41 Old 04-29-2010, 04:09 AM
585-645-1006

It doesn't matter whether the BDP decodes the HD audio to PCM or the Onkyo does (although at this point it can't due to the bug), the audio will still sound the same either way. So until Onkyo issues an update, set the BDP to PCM and enjoy.

post #11 of 41 Old 04-29-2010, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Guys,

So I've been in contact with both Onkyo and Samsung over this issue. I know that PCM is the same as the Bitstream as far as the sound is concerned but it is driving me a little insane to not be able to use the decoding on the receiver, I paid for it, I want to use it!

Anyway they both seem to think that these two players should work just fine with each other. The tech I am dealing with at Onkyo tells me he's actually hooked up the Onkyo 308 with the Samsung C6900 and his sound is working properly. Both companies have suggested doing a factory reset on their respective equipment and trying again. Here are the steps for you guys if you are interested:

Onkyo TX-SR308 Factory Reset -- To do the reset you need to turn the receiver on, then on the front panel of the receiver press and hold the "VCR/DVR" button while doing that press the "STANDBY/ON" button. You will see the word "Clear" in the display screen and the receiver will go into standby mode. Once the receiver goes into standby mode turn it back on and go through the setup menu for all custom settings.

Samsung BD-C6900 Factory Reset -- Power on your Blu-ray player and tune your TV to the input where the Blu-ray player is connected. For example, if the Blu-ray player is connected to HDMI 1 press the TV input/source/line button to tune your TV to HDMI 1. With no disc in the player press and hold the stop button on the front of your Blu-ray player for about 8 seconds or until the front display reads ‘SETUP’. 'Resetting all settings to default values...' is displayed on your TV screen as the Blu-ray player powers off and resets. The Blu-ray player is automatically powered on after the reset and the select Language screen is displayed.

If you guys choose to do the reset keep in mind you are going to lose ALL OF YOUR SAVED SETTINGS!! This is a factory reset, anything you set yourself is going to be lost and you'll have to do it all over again. Consider yourselves warned!

I'll give this a shot tonight when I get home from work and keep you guys posted on the results.

vmtls - No OTA or ARC use for me yet. I've been using a cable box for TV, the BD player and an Xbox 360. I cannot comment on the ARC functionality I am afraid. Sorry.
post #12 of 41 Old 04-29-2010, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by max.23 View Post

Hi Guys!
I have the same problem between Onkyo and Samsung BD C6900.
For me the solution is to put the Samsung audio to PCM and setr the Onkyo to Direct: everything works wonderful even if don't get the Dolby True HD logo on Onkyo.

But PCM audio is better than the other settings?

Max.23 - If you are using PCM with "Direct" mode you are bypassing all of your setting on the receiver. You are aware of this? By "settings" I am talking about any individual speaker dB settings you might have set, speaker distances and all of that. In direct mode the receiver just takes the sounds from the BDP and outputs them to the speakers.

You might be better off trying one of the Dolby settings. That said it is your ears listening to the sound. Try the different settings and use the one that sounds best to you. With Blu-ray I've found that you get a noticeable difference in sound when you measure the speaker distances and set those in the receiver. The sounds in a BD movie are engineered to reach your ears at specific times, with the speaker distances measured and set the sound seems richer somehow, you are hearing the movie as it was meant to be heard.

Just my $0.02.
post #13 of 41 Old 05-15-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:

Max.23 - If you are using PCM with "Direct" mode you are bypassing all of your setting on the receiver. You are aware of this? By "settings" I am talking about any individual speaker dB settings you might have set, speaker distances and all of that. In direct mode the receiver just takes the sounds from the BDP and outputs them to the speakers.

You might be better off trying one of the Dolby settings. That said it is your ears listening to the sound. Try the different settings and use the one that sounds best to you. With Blu-ray I've found that you get a noticeable difference in sound when you measure the speaker distances and set those in the receiver. The sounds in a BD movie are engineered to reach your ears at specific times, with the speaker distances measured and set the sound seems richer somehow, you are hearing the movie as it was meant to be heard.

Just my $0.02.

Guys i have similiar problem with Samsung C-6900 and the new onkyo 5300 system. I dont see the DTS-HD Master audio lit up in the reciever eventhough i set the blu ray to output in Bitstream audiophile format. I called both onkyo and samsung and they are pointing fingers at each other. Any help guys?
post #14 of 41 Old 05-17-2010, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

I've talked to both Samsung and Onkyo about this issue. Neither thinks its their fault and neither has a solution. They told me to reset the devices to factory default and that should work, it didn't. I even went so far as to exchange my Samsung BD player, the second unit I tried doesn't work either.

They don't seem to know or care about this issue. Good luck!
post #15 of 41 Old 05-17-2010, 02:06 PM
585-645-1006

Denon just recently issued another update (in addition to the previous BDP HD bitstream update a couple months ago) which solves the HD bitstream audio issue specifically with the C6900, so perhaps Onkyo may provide one as well.

post #16 of 41 Old 05-19-2010, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Hi Guys, well I got another response from Onkyo about this issue as it hasn't been resolved yet. Here is what I got back from them:

"The TX-SR308 has no problem decoding Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio, I have ordered the Samsung player model that you have and will send you and updated email as soon as I get the player here in our office.

Thanks,
Jose"

So there you have it! There is NO problem, its all in our heads. I find that response to be funny because the first response I got from the same tech said the following:

"Before I emailed you I made the connections as we have both players here and it worked find and showed DTS Master on the display. I have heard from some customers that upgrading the firmware on the Samsung would correct the problem if that doesn't work then you can try the following reset..."

He then goes on to describe how to reset the receiver to factory default. Notice how in the first reply they say they've tested the same setup as I have yet in the second reply he has ordered the Samsung BD-6900? Interesting...

Anyway I'll keep everyone posted with the results of Onkyo's test whenever they manage to get back to me about it.
post #17 of 41 Old 05-27-2010, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Hey Everyone,

Well Onkyo has tested all of the equipment we've been discussing and came up with the same problem. Swapping BD players corrects the problem so Onkyo has deducted that the issue is a Samsung one. Looks like I'll be dealing with Samsung to see if they are aware of the issue and can issue a firmware update to correct it.

Can anyone confirm the same problem with the Samsung BD-C6900 and a receiver other than the Onkyo? Confirm or disprove works just as well I suppose.

Thanks.
post #18 of 41 Old 05-27-2010, 10:44 AM
585-645-1006

Guess you missed my post #15 a few posts back?

post #19 of 41 Old 06-05-2010, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Hi Guys, well I got another response from Onkyo about this issue as it hasn't been resolved yet. Here is what I got back from them:

"The TX-SR308 has no problem decoding Dolby TrueHD or DTS Master Audio, I have ordered the Samsung player model that you have and will send you and updated email as soon as I get the player here in our office.

Thanks,
Jose"

So there you have it! There is NO problem, its all in our heads. I find that response to be funny because the first response I got from the same tech said the following:

"Before I emailed you I made the connections as we have both players here and it worked find and showed DTS Master on the display. I have heard from some customers that upgrading the firmware on the Samsung would correct the problem if that doesn't work then you can try the following reset..."

He then goes on to describe how to reset the receiver to factory default. Notice how in the first reply they say they've tested the same setup as I have yet in the second reply he has ordered the Samsung BD-6900? Interesting...

Anyway I'll keep everyone posted with the results of Onkyo's test whenever they manage to get back to me about it.

I do hope you get your issue resolved with sammy, but, if your looking to trade up for not a lot of money and have excellent picture, audio and get SACD (DSD), DVD-A, HDCD audio options as well as the ability to stream audio from your pc i highly recommend the Oppo 80 player. i have that connected to my 308 in my basement office with a small HT setup there. it works incredibly well, no problems and well, it just works right. I bitstream all audio to the receiver and get all lossless codecs available and yes, they show up on the receiver screen. if your an SACD fan you will appreciate that the Oppo will support DSD out via HDMI to your receiver and guess what, the 308 receiver supports DSD in via HDMI so you get full DSD support with both the 80 & the 308 for your SACD music and the oppo does it at an insane price. makes your 308 more valuable and versatile too. you can get it for $289.oo it will come with an HDMI cable, carrying bag (imagine that) two blu ray disc one is a calibration tool and the other is sampler of HD audio (7.1 lossless) great manual nice packaging and great support. great investment too.

my 308 was in incredible buy for my basement office HT setup, got it for $229.oo at newegg.com and i couldn't be happier. plenty of power for my room (i sit about 5' from the speakers) i use TSi100's L&R, CS10 center (both polks) and small speakers for surrounds from a logitech speaker system i use to have and everything works right sounds and looks incredible. I also have a new 24" 1080p HDTV connecting all this stuff with my PC for a great look. I got the HDTV from BB for $199.oo it's got 2 HDMI's component, composite & PC inputs and optical output for digital audio and stereo output too. great buy, tuner pulls in 60+ digital channels (all of the local HD channels too) works perfectly with everything got the 308 into HDMI 1 & the PC in HDMI 2 and every input can maintain seperate picture settings, beat that for under 200 bones!

so, if your looking for a good player for your 308, go with the oppo 80. hope some of this rambling helped someone. i just couldn't stop myself with all my good news and good luck.

best of luck.

55" Sony SXRD 1080P, PS3 & XBOX 360,
AppleTV, iPhone5,iPad4 both 64gb
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Onkyo PR-SC5507P & TX-NR525.
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10 & 5Jr, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, NYGiants!
post #20 of 41 Old 06-10-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmtls View Post

OT: If you will be using this TV for OTA reception and plan to use Audio Return Channel (ARC) on the SR308 I would appreciate if you could report back with results when you get a chance. TIA!

I have my Onkyo TX-SR508 setup to use ARC for OTA broadcasts with my Samsung PN50C8000, and it's working fine and producing 5.1. There's a setting under "10. HDMI Setup" to set "Audio Return Ch" to Auto or On, if it's not already. Then, select TV/CD as the input, and you should be good.

I had to use HDMI2 on the TV, as that is the only one with ARC.
post #21 of 41 Old 06-10-2010, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Hey Everyone,

Well Onkyo has tested all of the equipment we've been discussing and came up with the same problem. Swapping BD players corrects the problem so Onkyo has deducted that the issue is a Samsung one. Looks like I'll be dealing with Samsung to see if they are aware of the issue and can issue a firmware update to correct it.

Can anyone confirm the same problem with the Samsung BD-C6900 and a receiver other than the Onkyo? Confirm or disprove works just as well I suppose.

Thanks.

I'm using an Onkyo TX-SR508 and having the same problem. I guess Onkyo was the first to release an HDMI 1.4 compliant receiver... After being on the phone with Crutchfield for a while, they gave up troubleshooting and are sending out a new BD-C6900 for me to try, so hopefully I'll have the same result as Onkyo. Is there even a way for us to upgrade the firmware on the TX-SR508? No ethernet or USB inputs that I've noticed.

By the way, I also sent the two companies emails about this issue, but I haven't heard anything after a week. I'm glad you were able to get through, but I'd guess they're both aware of the issue.
post #22 of 41 Old 06-10-2010, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 166
Onkyo as admitted to problems with this reciever
http://www.us.onkyo.com/press_releases.cfm?id=185
post #23 of 41 Old 06-10-2010, 09:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidoh View Post

Is there even a way for us to upgrade the firmware on the TX-SR508? No ethernet or USB inputs that I've noticed.

Only at service centers - the case has to be opened for the upgrade according to the technician which would void the warranty.

In fact my 508 just got the update to firmware v1.2 because Onkyo bungled up the PCM multichannel sound (swapped right and left surround channels). This affects mostly owners of fat PS3 models as these can't output the new HD formats via bitstream (only the slim PS3's can).
See this Onkyo service notice for more info: http://www.us.onkyo.com/press_releases.cfm?id=185

The update was quick and painless but I had luck: The service center was only about 10 minutes away from my home.

bye
Benny
post #24 of 41 Old 06-18-2010, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raidoh View Post

I'm using an Onkyo TX-SR508 and having the same problem. I guess Onkyo was the first to release an HDMI 1.4 compliant receiver... After being on the phone with Crutchfield for a while, they gave up troubleshooting and are sending out a new BD-C6900 for me to try, so hopefully I'll have the same result as Onkyo. Is there even a way for us to upgrade the firmware on the TX-SR508? No ethernet or USB inputs that I've noticed.

By the way, I also sent the two companies emails about this issue, but I haven't heard anything after a week. I'm glad you were able to get through, but I'd guess they're both aware of the issue.

I got a replacement BD-C6900 and upgraded the firmware (1011). No change. The TX-SR508 still doesn't recognize DTS-HD Master Audio or Dolby TrueHD. So now I guess I'll contact Onkyo to see about a firmware update.
post #25 of 41 Old 07-05-2010, 04:20 AM

Hello, i am a french user of Onkyo TX-SR308 with SAMSUNG BD-C8200 player and i have same problems to decode DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD when i configure player in mode Bitstream (audiophile).
The 308 don't "see anything".
Does Someone obtain a solution from SAMSUNG or ONKYO ?
the SAMSUNG Hotline in french is very bad

Excuse-me for my poor english.
Thanks for help.
post #26 of 41 Old 07-05-2010, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredy13 View Post

Hello, i am a french user of Onkyo TX-SR308 with SAMSUNG BD-C8200 player and i have same problems to decode DTS HD Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD when i configure player in mode Bitstream (audiophile).
The 308 don't "see anything".
Does Someone obtain a solution from SAMSUNG or ONKYO ?
the SAMSUNG Hotline in french is very bad

Excuse-me for my poor english.
Thanks for help.

i will gather what you are saying is that the 308 is not producing any sound for you when you have the player set to bitstream? if this is the case, do you get video? of course i am gathering you are using HDMI (you didn't state this in your post)

is the HDMI input assigned to the input you have the sammy connected to (again, gathering your using HDMI) you should be getting video and audio. i know some sammy's have bitstream and bitstream (audiophile) i think the first one means that the player decodes the codecs and streams them to the receiver. i couldn't find a manual for your player as it's a UK version so can you first tell us if your getting any sound at all and any picture. also, if your getting picture and audio, but not getting the lossless codecs lite to show up on the 308 perhaps try the other bitstream option. also if you are getting audio press the display button and see what the codec is, i.e. DD, DTS, Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD-MA or Multichannel PCM (LPCM). you should be getting something.

also is this a new issue or has it been this way since you got the sammy and of course, do you have another player you can connect to the receiver to check in on that end.

I have the 308 in my office in a small secondary HT setup in my home in the basement using the 308 and the oppo 80 player with no problems bitstreaming audio to it and yes, i get all the codecs, lossy & lossless too. hope we can get your issue resolved!

keep us posted buddy!

55" Sony SXRD 1080P, PS3 & XBOX 360,
AppleTV, iPhone5,iPad4 both 64gb
Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93, Onkyo PR-SC5507P & TX-NR525.
Emotiva XPA5,UPA2, UPA200 & Mini X Amps
Speakers, Polk SDA-2, Monitor 10 & 5Jr, Axiom M80,
VP180, QS8, M2, QS4, NYGiants!
post #27 of 41 Old 07-07-2010, 05:47 AM

Hello solarrdadd,
I don't have any problem with video..... my config is sony LCD TV 32EX700, Onkyo TX-SR308, Samsung BD-C8200 European model...
BD-C8200 is similar to BD-C6900 with Hard Drive 250Go and Digital HD TV Tuner...
All is connect with HDMI cable 1.3a,
TV + ONKYO with HDMI AudioReturnChannel activated,
ONKYO + BDR SAMSUNG on HDMI1 BD/DVD Input.
When BD Player is set to Bitstream(audiophile) all sound (DTS,Dolby Digital,PCM) is produce by ampli except Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio.
When BD player is set to Bitstream(reencode) all sound is reencoded to DTS by player and ampli produce sound with codec DTS display...
With BD player in PCM, ampli produce sound with PCM Multichannel codec...
thanks for your help.
post #28 of 41 Old 07-07-2010, 09:35 AM

I'm back to home and i try a BD Player PANASONIC DMP-BD35 with my onkyo 308....and all BD-soundtracks are played in bitstream Audio mode via HDMI....DTS-HD-MA DD TrueHD.
Thus it's seems that the problem is SAMSUNG BD Player and it's very hard to obtain support from SAMSUNG....
post #29 of 41 Old 07-10-2010, 11:54 AM

I just made a post regarding this issue in another thread. Since the forum won't let me link to it yet and I probably should have posted it here in the first place anyway, here it is again:

Quote:

You are not the only one. I have seen other complaints online and even read reviews that mention the problem. I have tested the BD-C6900 with several AV receivers and also found that lossless audio works with some but not others.

I have access to more test equipment than the average person and investigated the problem in a bit more detail. I found that when the BD-C6900 is outputting lossless audio, the parity bits in the audio stream are not set correctly. This is a violation of the relevant specifications. For a device receiving this signal, the incorrect parity would normally indicate a corrupted signal and a reasonable thing to do is mute the audio.

My conclusion is that lossless audio from the BD-C6900 is out of spec and will only work with AVR's that ignore the parity bit.

In some cases, an AVR manufacturer may be able to disable the parity check via a software update. In other cases, the parity check is a hard wired function of the HDMI receiver chip which cannot be turned off.

Hopefully Samsung will release a software fix for this. Although, it is possible that it is a silicon problem for which a software fix is not possible.

post #30 of 41 Old 07-12-2010, 11:09 AM

Onkyo checked out my TR-SX508 only to say it's fine. The tech at the service center was able to get TrueHD and DTS-HD to play on the receiver, although I don't have specifics on which players or movies he was using. Although he upgraded the firmware, it still doesn't work for me on the BD-C6900. So, it seems it's not an Onkyo problem, and if it's a Samsung problem, there's no current solution. It's all pretty frustrating.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page