post #271 of 4546 Old 05-06-2010, 08:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickChicago View Post

This post earlier in the thread seems to suggests it's not possible, let alone assignable:

I didn't understand that earlier post. If you assign a certain audio input port and a certain video input port to the same device, how is the receiver going to know whether you're being truthful? Will it do a content analysis to see whether that audio really goes with that video?

Greg Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

... If you assign a certain audio input port and a certain video input port to the same device...?

Not taking offence that no-one offered even a single reply to my 4 posted questions, as possibly it was too long a post or the questions were basically too technical about receiver ability and not geeky enough. I will give a seat-of-the-pants answer to Greg above that is purely from an "it's technically simple and a great function, so why don't they do it" standpoint:

All they (the engineers or whomever is developing this equipment) would need do is allow the user to assign the video input and audio input for each "device" and the problem is solved. It matters not that the signals are comming in over a single HDMI cable, they are obviously discrete and the receiver knows which is audio and which is video. It is not the receiver's issue if the person using it wants to asign a Beatles song to a Madonna video of listen to Deaf Leopord while watching Jay Lenno, so there is nothing about "truthfulness". It is quite simply a matter of using the highly advanced technologies of the unit to do very simple customized signal routing. It amazes me that a great percentage of those on this forum don't have this issue or desire to hear something different than the soundtrack of a particular video signal. To watch slides and listen to the radio, to view a cool computer graphic video and listen to their favorite music off their ipod, etc. etc. Of course it is possible to bypass the receiver and accomplish this, but that defeats the purpose of a single-box audio/video switcher in the first place. Somehow I thought Denon did this but will have ask around. My existing Pio 1015 does have the ability to assign each device a sepperate digital and analog input, but it does not offer differentiation between video and audio. It sort of works, because I can currently assign, for instance, a component video input and an optical digital audio to the same "device", and I could assign that same video or optical to another device as well which is effectively what i want to do. My interest though is to do it with the hdmi cables in order to have the full digital quality throughout and minimize cabling (one main reason HDMI is interesting in the first place). Furthermore, though the Xbox360 (for instance) has component and hdmi out, the hdmi takes precedent and if plugged in the component does not send signal (how it knows I have no idea!), so I would be limited with my Xbox to using the analog video connection as well as more cables. Anyhow, I now have to wonder if this new (improved?) 1020 even has assignable digital and analog inputs, but since no-one took time to even reply I have to assume that either no-one here is interested in this isse (or BlueTooth for that matter) so I don't anticipate anyone with a unit actually taking the few minutes to check about input assignabilty.

In any event, if input signals are not assignable its a deal breaker, not worth the extra money as my 1015 is a really nice receiver. Bluetooth would be great, but likely it is still an early and crippled version like the internet radio (manual entry of ip addresses? this is 2010!!). Starting to think the remote is not the only garbage downgrade of this unit...
post #273 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 05:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Curious less about input configuration and more mundane criteria like basic sound quality...anyone have some receiver comparisons to offer? anyone upgrade from a 1019 to a 1020?
post #274 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 06:23 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked: 554
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Curious less about input configuration and more mundane criteria like basic sound quality...anyone have some receiver comparisons to offer? anyone upgrade from a 1019 to a 1020?

I'll second that.. I asked for some user reviews a few pages back..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #275 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holograman View Post

My existing Pio 1015 does have the ability to assign each device a sepperate digital and analog input, ... My interest though is to do it with the hdmi cables ...

Oh, I see. I think the 1020 works like your 1015 and does not, as you want, let the audio part and video part of an HDMI signal be assigned separately. (I can't experiment since my 1020 will take 3 weeks in shipment, but the manual on page 41 seems clear enough.)

Greg Lee
post #276 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 06:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
@hologram...

- you can assign a spdif or analog audio port to a hdmi input... then by using the "signal select" option, you can get video from the hdmi source and audio from the other source... edit: technically speaking, you can't assign it to the input that is defined as "hdmi", you would assign the hdmi port to whatever input you wanted to...

- you cannot get video from 1 hdmi source and audio from another... that would be significantly more complex than you might realize... it's not just a matter of "taking it from 2 places"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #277 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn View Post

Hey guys, Just wanted to you know that I started a new thread in which I included all the links that come with the Pioneer for the internet radio, ...

That will be very useful. Thanks a lot.

Greg Lee
post #278 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 06:59 AM

I've just upgraded from a 2007 Model VSX-817. I wanted HDMI to support Blu-Ray Audio formats and SACD. The IR in is also a nice touch for me so I can get rid of the stick-on IR repeaters.

I literally just connected it last night but here are my initial thoughts.

1. MCACC
The interface is just too slick compared to the old text based system and it works over HDMI. Strangely it detected a phase reversal in my FL speaker. After checking all connections I determined this was not true. After running the config though the sound across all the speakers seems much more blended than the older model. (7.1 setup) FL/FR = Aperion 5B, C= Aperion 5C, all Surrounds = Aperion 433
Conversely, the 817 dropped the SUB by about -5dBs whereas the 1020 boosts it by +1dB

2. Power
It is noticeably quieter than my 817. I had become accustomed to listening to TV at about -28dB and Movies at about -24dB. The 1020 has to be turned up to about -20dB just to watch TV shows. I haven't tested any movies with it yet, that will come this weekend. Not sure if this is due to the L/C/R being 6dB nominal speakers.

3. Volume control
The old model would change the volume in a linear fashion no matter how long you held the volume buttons on the remote. The 1020 increases the jumps the longer you hold down the button. (skipping 5dB at a time for example after holding down 3 seconds)

4. Sound quality
Apart from the aforementioned quietness the sound overall is an approvement for me over the 817. The front soundstage is much more coherent and front to back is very smooth. As I mentioned above its just more 'blended'...I like it.

There seems to be more detail in the sound, but that too maybe the improved MCACC.

As you can see I didnt really have high expectations from this, but my Blu-Ray player doesnt arrive until tomorrow when I can give it a true workout.

Lastly, I found it at a local Best Buy and with the 10% coupon mentioned earlier in this thread I was able to pick it up for less than retail after tax....no waiting for the UPS guy.

-Mark

Eating humble pie....
post #279 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqmzeea View Post

I've just upgraded from a 2007 Model VSX-817.

I'm especially interested in the comparisons you make, since my 1020 (in shipment) will also replace an 817. I'm looking forward to some reports on how or whether the HDMI-CEC function works for on-screen display of volume, and also how the front height or front wide speakers sound.

Greg Lee
post #280 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 07:42 AM

Greg,

No Front height/wide planned for me and I havent noticed any on-screen volume display...but then I havent gone looking for it, not an issue for me.

-Mark

Eating humble pie....
post #281 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 07:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqmzeea View Post

Greg,

No Front height/wide planned for me and I havent noticed any on-screen volume display...but then I havent gone looking for it, not an issue for me.

-Mark

I thought there was NO osd for volume...
post #282 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 08:30 AM

I believe that it will do on screen volume display on Pioneer Kuro TVs only (I think I read this in the 120+ page disaster that is the manual).
post #283 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeitingon View Post

I believe that it will do on screen volume display on Pioneer Kuro TVs only (I think I read this in the 120+ page disaster that is the manual).

As I interpret the manual, HDMI-CEC used to call up the TV's volume display when you change receiver volume will, as you say, only work with Pioneer TVs (I have a Samsung). However, that leaves open the possibility that you might change the TV volume and, through HDMI-CEC, have that control the receiver volume, getting the volume on screen that way. Then, if that works, it ought to be possible to program the 1020 remote volume control to send signals to the TV.

Greg Lee
post #284 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didadi View Post

Greg - Yes, you are right. I've emailed to the Pioneer folks & let everybody know here on the forum.

Here u go , regarding the HDMI 1.4a or more upgrades via firmware.
########
Thank you for contacting Pioneer Electronics, Inc.

It has HDMI® (V.1.4 with 3D). Usually there are no firmware updates on our receivers to change the HDMI version. If any updates ever come out, they are usually done by service centers.

Thank You,

Luana
Customer Service Representative
########

So, I am leaving this as it is. its a 1.4 HDMI receiver and just live with it. :-).
post #285 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:

As I interpret the manual, HDMI-CEC used to call up the TV's volume display when you change receiver volume will, as you say, only work with Pioneer TVs (I have a Samsung). However, that leaves open the possibility that you might change the TV volume and, through HDMI-CEC, have that control the receiver volume, getting the volume on screen that way. Then, if that works, it ought to be possible to program the 1020 remote volume control to send signals to the TV.

On my Panasonic plasma, the TV volume DOES in fact control the receiver volume via the control over HDMI... The TV displays shows "Home Theater Volume + or -" as you press up or down.
post #286 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

On my Panasonic plasma, the TV volume DOES in fact control the receiver volume via the control over HDMI... The TV displays shows "Home Theater Volume + or -" as you press up or down.

Then that may be useful. Thanks for testing it.

Greg Lee
post #287 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 10:33 AM

As i indicated in my previous post I don't want to give up on the Pioneer which has plenty of feature for $500.

I set my the system setting to Zone 2 (I have 5.1 setup). Ran the Auto MAC calibaration. Went to the Manual system setting and changed the Front/Center speakers to Small (from Large) and Cross over to 80hz from 100hz. Did not touch anything on the EQ or ADv. EQ. Did not touch anything on the speaker distance. Both seemed to be OK to me.

The Audio turned to be excellent on Music CD's / IPOD and sounded good for the Movies. My old yamaha center channel used to be very clear and distinct. I am not seeing the same result in Pioneer, may be have to play around with Dialogue lift etc. The trebles (I like them) are better than Yamaha. Overall just setting the speakers correctly did give me a better result. I am still not convinced to turn my Powered Aperion Tower speakers to SMALL. It has a 6 inch side firing woofer.

Setting up this UNIT really requires lot of patience specially if you are following the manual. I suggest that if you have expereince in setting up these type of receivers, then do not refer the manual for initial setup. Just go by what you have done before for other recievers. It is easier that way. The remote is bad but you will get used to it. I liked the IPOD browsing from the remote. Once connected you don't have to get up.

Thanks to "Claus" for helping me to focus on the basics.

It would be great other owners talk about their experience with 1020 and Audio quality compared to their old system.
post #288 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

but is there an over-laid onscreen display of the current volume level?
post #289 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 12:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

I guess I don't understand the volume display on the TV as to why it's a big deal one way or the other

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #290 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

but is there an over-laid onscreen display of the current volume level?

No. Just the words "home theater volume" - to show that you are activating that control - but no indication of what the volume level is. The image is being produced by the TV, not the receiver - it's the tv telling me that it is sending a volume command to the receiver. hope this helps/makes sense.
post #291 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 01:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I guess I don't understand the volume display on the TV as to why it's a big deal one way or the other

Some people don't care about it at all. I like to see it -- just helps me stay oriented to whether I have it set unusually high or low. And I can't see the volume display on my Pioneer vsx-817 at all, from my sitting position. My vsx-1017 display is more visible, but it's off to the side of my TV.

Greg Lee
post #292 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 01:33 PM

I just tried to connect my laptop to the VSX-1020-K via DVI/HDMI and TOSLINK, but I am not getting any picture. Furthermore, the audio only comes through when I disconnect the video cable (or go to the VSX setup menu screen). The MacBook Pro does detect the VSX-1020-K.

Will this receiver not take input coming from a DVI source? It would be a shame to have to do DVI -> Component. What are my options?
post #293 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 01:45 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Some people don't care about it at all. I like to see it -- just helps me stay oriented to whether I have it set unusually high or low. And I can't see the volume display on my Pioneer vsx-817 at all, from my sitting position. My vsx-1017 display is more visible, but it's off to the side of my TV.

I can understand that... it sounded like some posters were using this as the make or break feature in buying the unit. I usually adjust by ear.

post #294 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Some people have RF setups with their components buried behind a wall or in a closet, so they don't get any visual feedback of the volume level. I certainly wouldn't think it's a make or break feature, even for them, but I do find it useful to have convenient visual feedback of the volume level even though I (as I'm sure just about everybody) adjust based on my ear.
post #295 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 02:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananfish View Post

Some people have RF setups with their components buried behind a wall or in a closet, so they don't get any visual feedback of the volume level. I certainly wouldn't think it's a make or break feature, even for them, but I do find it useful to have convenient visual feedback of the volume level even though I (as I'm sure just about everybody) adjust based on my ear.

I can understand that.. my AVR is located below my projector screen, however, since I'm contemplating moving it where the rest of the gear is (in back of room) .. I'll probably wish it was in front of me again

post #296 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Like others, I would be interested in hearing feedback on Pioneer's implementation of wide speakers.
post #297 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 04:19 PM
Advanced Member

I have read a few post indicating issues with the MCACC and its effectiveness in eqing the bipolar speakers such as the Def Techs. Anyone have any first hand knowledge to share since I am considering this receiver?

Thanks for any comments.

Henry
post #298 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 05:08 PM

Stupid question.......I have a pair of the JBLs below along with the surrounds and center channel currently being powered by an older Sony ES receiver. I'm going to upgrade to a new receiver soon and was thinking about the Pioneer in this thread.

I'm not an expert with this stuff but I was wonder if anyone thinks I should have an amplifier to power these or whether I don't have to worry about it? I ask because the Pioneer doesn't seem to support that. Again, I'm not an expert, so any advice would greatly be appreciated.

I'm generally happy with the performance I have now but want a more up to date receiver now that I have Bluray.

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/it...-cherry-single
post #299 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 05:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananfish View Post

bingo. onkyo and denon do it. one thing i dislike about my pioneer elite 21
post #300 of 4546 Old 05-07-2010, 05:17 PM

Ok i know this has been answered but stick with me if you can.

Ive done the MCACC cal on my pioneer, and the front left and rights came up as large. Should have them that way or should i manually switch it to small? does it create a better sound? their not HUGE speakers, just maybe 15''s tall?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page