post #2971 of 4548 Old 02-24-2011, 01:31 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post
Where was this post 198 pages ago?
100 posts is easy, average even, 100 pages thats a landmark for a body of work the many people here have taken the time to document.

Don't let the smoke out.
My Theater setup:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2972 of 4548 Old 02-24-2011, 01:38 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpctech View Post
100 posts is easy, average even, 100 pages thats a landmark for a body of work the many people here have taken the time to document.
Not disagreeing with the substance, but the point is we are on page 298.
post #2973 of 4548 Old 02-24-2011, 02:40 PM

Looks like 100 pages and 2976 make that 2977 post. Number of pages is irrelevant (some longer, some shorter posts).

Also, one could argue and 100+ page thread kind of defeats the purpose of a forum as it can become harder to identify an individual issue as you don’t get a unique thread. As well, it would take quite some time for someone new to read it in its entirety for a simple issue.

But it is a very good resource for info on this receiver.
post #2974 of 4548 Old 02-24-2011, 04:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpctech View Post

Cheers for our 100th page anyone want to do a index?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

Not disagreeing with the substance, but the point is we are on page 298.

And I'm on page 50.

You'd think people would eventually learn that while post #'s are consistent among users, page numbers aren't.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #2975 of 4548 Old 02-24-2011, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconian1 View Post

Noob question here... I bought the 1020k around xmas and noticed that when using auto surround and auto input selection, the receiver doesnt seem to recognize or use DTS signals... I've seen it do DD 5.1 on occasion but when I try playing avatar or certain games that use DTS or DTS-HD it only displays PCM... am I doing something wrong here?

Anyone?
post #2976 of 4548 Old 02-24-2011, 05:14 PM

Quote:

Anyone?

I've seen both PCM and various PLII, Pro Logic, etc. from my Samsung BD player when the using Netflix app. I'm not sure how you'd force it to display but I have seen DTS and PCM. Sorry, not much help.
post #2977 of 4548 Old 02-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

And I'm on page 50.

You'd think people would eventually learn that while post #'s are consistent among users, page numbers aren't.

Sorry I started this. Apparently, you have yours set to 60 posts per page, jasontech to 30 per page and mine is on 10 which is the default and I never bothered to change it. I'd actually forgotten about that, but I'd guess the majority of users have never paid that much attention to it.

If anyone is interested, you can reset your posts per page in the UserCP section under Edit Options.
post #2978 of 4548 Old 02-24-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by looter View Post

I've seen both PCM and various PLII, Pro Logic, etc. from my Samsung BD player when the using Netflix app. I'm not sure how you'd force it to display but I have seen DTS and PCM. Sorry, not much help.

I was looking through the manual and if I read it correctly I need to hook up the surround back speakers for it to work properly which I currently have not done. I will also probly be resetting the unit back to stock so I can get a fresh crack at all the settings.
post #2979 of 4548 Old 02-24-2011, 07:20 PM

I have had my 1020-K for about 2 weeks now...impressed needless to say....but I was messing around with the MCACC setup trying to optimize the sound in my new "man cave". I purchased some Def Tech ProCinema 600 speakers and if you know anything about them, you know that the front speakers run through the sub and then to the speakers. This made the MCACC setup on my receiver not recognize the fronts and end up in an "error" message.

Is there any way around this...I would imagine that I am not the only one with this set-up.

Thanks in advance and I am happy to find this resource. I hope that it proves useful.

**If needed I can take some screen shots and upload them.

Samsung UN55C7000WF 3D LED
Pioneer VSX1020-K
Definitive Technologies ProCinema 600 Series
post #2980 of 4548 Old 02-24-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by beermedean View Post

Is there any way around this...I would imagine that I am not the only one with this set-up.

Thanks in advance and I am happy to find this resource. I hope that it proves useful.

**If needed I can take some screen shots and upload them.

Hi beermedean, connect front speakers to receiver "Front Speaker" terminals and subwoofer "LFE" port to receiver "Subwoofer Pre Out" port.

Set subwoofer volume to 12 o'clock, Low Freq. knob to the hightest setting and then run auto setup.
post #2981 of 4548 Old 02-24-2011, 08:59 PM

so my current setup is a 1020-k, those newish andrew jones budget speakers, and a bic pl-200. my problem is i only seem to get bass out of the sub through 5.1 or 6.1 sound, never stereo. the crossover is set to 80hz, so im assuming anything below that should be going to the sub right? but it doesnt, even on the bassiest most basstastic music i have. is the only way to get bass from stereo sources to set the subwoofer setting from "yes" to "plus," or is there something im missing here? or is mcacc overestimating my speakers, and i should set them to small?
post #2982 of 4548 Old 02-24-2011, 09:25 PM

Hi, guys, there´s something thats driving me nuts... I bought this receiver and at the same time i bought this sony turntable (Sony PS-LX300USB USB Stereo Turntable] but I just cant get it to work.
Do you have any idea of how i have to connect this?

Thanks in advance.
post #2983 of 4548 Old 02-24-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wake View Post

Hello, I have just purchased the VSX-1020-k and need some help with some functions.
Here is my problem. I have hooked my cable box's HDMI, my Blu Ray's HDMI to the pioneer and then ran the HDMI out of the pioneer into the HDTV. I can't seem to figure out how to watch TV and listen to music at the same time (without TV sound of course) be it from streaming through the BD or playing my Cd player through a digital input. When I switch to the audio input the tv gives the no signal warning. My old Onkyo can do this. I have a hard time believing that a new AVR can't!!!
I have read the manual and cannot find how to do this. Can someone who has figured this out help me? thank you.

*&^&^&*UPDATE*&^&*&^&*
Spoke with the Pioneer customer service today and they informed me that the VSX-1020 does not allow for input switching while viewing a video source. For me this is an amazingly basic flaw in the design. I'll have to bi-pass the video switching and run the cable box directly into the HDTV and then run the TV's digital audio into the receiver. A solution but not as clean as I would have liked.

TW

I have managed a workaround for listening to one source while watching another using my VSX-1020K.

I connect my TV using HDMI from the receiver plus I add a component wire from Zone 2 outs on receiver to my TV. The video I want to watch is going through Zone 2 to my TV and the receiver is playing any other source for audio.

What kills me is that my HDTV is being supplied with a mere component cable providing sub-standard resolution - I don't even think Zone 2 output is upscaled yo 1080p, though I'd love to know for sure.

After buying the Pioneer, I was disappointed to hear Onkyo and Denon offer a video select feature until I heard that even they only provide component video out when mixing two sources. At least with the Pioneer you can mix and match any two sources... though they have to have an analog video signal plugged in - I-Pod/USB, Internet radio work too! I think the other brands limit some inputs from being "mixed".

I haven't seen anyone else talking about this workaround so I hope it is of help to many. Enjoy!
post #2984 of 4548 Old 02-24-2011, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theache2 View Post

Hi, guys, there´s something thats driving me nuts... I bought this receiver and at the same time i bought this sony turntable (Sony PS-LX300USB USB Stereo Turntable] but I just cant get it to work.
Do you have any idea of how i have to connect this?

Thanks in advance.

this reciever doesnt have a phono input, and if your record player doesnt have a built in pre-amp, as most dont and im pretty sure yours doesn't either, your going to have to get one of these:

http://www.needledoctor.com/Online-Store/Phono-Preamps
post #2985 of 4548 Old 02-25-2011, 08:52 AM

I set the 1020 to ALC while watching TV so the commercials wouldnt be so loud, but so far I dont hear much difference. The manual says something about setting effect level, but doesnt say what that will do. Anyone familiar with this?
post #2986 of 4548 Old 02-25-2011, 09:33 AM

Can someone please help me with what something (hopefully) simple:
I believe that my 1020 will allow me to calibrate the volume level for each input i am using, but i can't find this in the manual or by playing around with the remote. I am trying to make it so that when i switch between sources the volume won't jump around, as if i can set it for each input, i can manually set each input's volume level to match. I think the 1020 can do this but i need some help as i can't figure it out.

And regarding the posts by The Wake and Rickytee "for listening to one source while watching another" - i really wish the 1020 could do this. The old SONY receiver my Dad still uses lets you watch any video source while listening to any audio source, and i assumed the AVR i bought would have this feature (i like listening to my own music sources while playing video games for example), but alas it does not. The workaround is an option but as you state, would mean non-HDMI video, unless i plug my PS3 straight into the TV. When i eventually decide to get a new AVR (not for some time i hope!) i will look into one that can do this (Just like i assumed that my recent Samsung LCD HDTV would allow me to scale/resize the picture of any input, like when watching DVDs in non-anamorphic widescreen or even TV broadcasts that end up having bars top and bottom - i should be able to scale in but the TV has limited options for this - the next TV i eventually get, i will be looking into this feature, as it's silly to have a nice big screen with black bars all around the picture, "postage stamp" style!).
post #2987 of 4548 Old 02-25-2011, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omgitsoop View Post

so my current setup is a 1020-k, those newish andrew jones budget speakers, and a bic pl-200. my problem is i only seem to get bass out of the sub through 5.1 or 6.1 sound, never stereo. the crossover is set to 80hz, so im assuming anything below that should be going to the sub right? but it doesnt, even on the bassiest most basstastic music i have. is the only way to get bass from stereo sources to set the subwoofer setting from "yes" to "plus," or is there something im missing here? or is mcacc overestimating my speakers, and i should set them to small?

Have you tried setting speakers to SMALL in the speaker setup?
post #2988 of 4548 Old 02-25-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:

I was looking through the manual and if I read it correctly I need to hook up the surround back speakers for it to work properly which I currently have not done. I will also probly be resetting the unit back to stock so I can get a fresh crack at all the settings.

Update I found the issue, I turned off all PCM output options on my PS3 EXCEPT 2 channel and now I'm enjoying Killzone 3 in DTS
post #2989 of 4548 Old 02-25-2011, 11:30 AM

Liked: 13
My speakers and surrounds are all "full range," but it is 40Hz - 40kHz (-6dB). That means they are twice as quiet at 40 Hz as they are anywhere in their middle range. In other words they roll off significantly when they get anywhere near 40 Hz. They don't reproduce those tones efficiently at all.

That's why we have subwoofers. Set all your speakers to small.
post #2990 of 4548 Old 02-26-2011, 09:02 AM

I am new to the VSX-1020 and NOT an Audiophile. I noticed that the front of my 1020 showed the following last night:

While watching a Bluray movie the display showed "PCM"

While watching the extras on the same disk it showed "STEREO"

While watching HD TV shows it shows "DODIGITAL"

Does this seem normal? Not so sure about the PCM thing.
post #2991 of 4548 Old 02-26-2011, 09:11 AM

Yeah, it's normal. Different encoding on different features on the Blu-ray disk. You can change the surround status by choosing the receiver button and then try the various surround modes. PCM stands for Pulse Code Modulation:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulse-code_modulation

It is a common mode for encoding uncompressed soundtracks.
post #2992 of 4548 Old 02-26-2011, 09:17 AM

I have a new 1020 and when I turn on all my equipment using a macro programmed into the remote, the 1020 starts up, then powers down. After I start it again, it stays powered. I have re-ordered the startup sequence and tried some delays. Any ideas? Equipment shown below:

VSX-1020 AVR
Panasonic TC-P54S2 Plasma
DirecTV HR-21/700 DVR
Universal Remote Control MX-850 remote
post #2993 of 4548 Old 02-26-2011, 10:52 AM

How can I get Volume information on my TV screen or other data from 1020 receiver to show on TV?
post #2994 of 4548 Old 02-26-2011, 11:06 AM

Hi everyone!

I could really use some help in trying to decide on some new AVR's for my living room and bedroom systems.

I finally upgraded the displays in these rooms to Panasonic TC-P50G10's in both rooms so I can now do HDMI all the way and get rid of the nest of component cables, toslink cables, etc.

I currently have an old school Yamaha RXV-2095 in the living room and a Pioneer VSX-815-K in the bedroom.

I have been leaning towards replacing them both with the Pioneer vsx-1020-k. The current street price on these is extremely attractive. J&R just had these in stock a couple of days ago but now they seem to have disappeared from their site?

The only real issues I have with this reciever are the lack of decoded pre-outs and the cheesy spring clip speaker terminals for the surround back. Why didn't they use binding posts for all the outputs? Grrr..

But... what are the advantages/disadvantages to setting up the front wide versus the rear back surrounds? The 815 is a 7.1 chan avr, but it only does the rear back surround. The rxv-2095 is a 5.1 chan avr with 2 added "effect" channels powered by yamaha's proprietary DSP chip - essentially simulating the front wide effect.

In other words, is it better to set up a front-wide setup or a rear surround back setup?

Any other options for around the same money as the pioneer 1020 that would be better? I also considered the 1120, but it's price is significantly more than the 1020 for not more features other than the pre-outs.

Now, if the 1120 decoded and supplied signals for all of the outputs including both the rear back and the front wide that would be cool. Then I could just add an outboard amp and get all 9 channels. That would make the extra cost of this receiver worthwhile. Hmmm.. actually.. maybe I will ask this question in the 1120 thread.

Thanks,
Michael
post #2995 of 4548 Old 02-26-2011, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radius118 View Post

Any other options for around the same money as the pioneer 1020 that would be better? I also considered the 1120, but it's price is significantly more than the 1020 for not more features other than the pre-outs.

Now, if the 1120 decoded and supplied signals for all of the outputs including both the rear back and the front wide that would be cool. Then I could just add an outboard amp and get all 9 channels. That would make the extra cost of this receiver worthwhile. Hmmm.. actually.. maybe I will ask this question in the 1120 thread.

Hi Michael, well you're not going to find 9 channels in program material. Most of the newer formats are uncompressed PCM, but still 5.1. I've come across a few Blu-rays that have the 7.1 encoding. But in my opinion it is worth paying for pre-outs. It is not well known outside of forums like this, but there's no way your AVR can drive seven channels by itself at its rated output. It is impossible. Some of the newer stuff will have a lot of whiz bang to it and the AVR has to rob Peter to pay Paul when that happens. With pre-outs you can get an Emotiva (for most of us) or Outlaw (if you're loaded).
post #2996 of 4548 Old 02-27-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post

I love my 1020, but I am having a little problem, and wonder if anyone else has seen it. The receiver sometimes locks up (can't change input or volume, or any other function for that matter) when the HDMI doesn't handshake with my Comcast RNG200 HD DVR properly. I have to hold the power button on the receiver in for 10 seconds or so to get it to power off, then when I power it on switch inputs quickly to get it 'unstuck' before it will handshake again. I've tried using HDMI 1 and HDMI 4, hasn't made a difference. Anyone else seen this? I really just want to blame the crappy DVR...

I'm having the same lock ups. Did anyone find a solution to this?
post #2997 of 4548 Old 02-28-2011, 05:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawncsmith View Post

Just curious which input this happens on and if another one has been tried?
post #2998 of 4548 Old 02-28-2011, 05:52 AM

im interested in picking up a 1020 from amazon, but can anyone vouch for the recent string of bad reviews on amazon.com? almost all point to the same issue of bad HDMI boards. its the only thing stopping me from picking one up right now compared to the denon avr 591.
post #2999 of 4548 Old 02-28-2011, 06:53 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shikikanzero View Post

im interested in picking up a 1020 from amazon, but can anyone vouch for the recent string of bad reviews on amazon.com? almost all point to the same issue of bad HDMI boards. its the only thing stopping me from picking one up right now compared to the denon avr 591.

Check out the Best Buy website. They often have deals that the store will honor. I got mine there at a price that wasn't that far off the online prices. I got one with a bad BD input and exchanged it with no problem and the replacement has worked perfectly.

When it comes to equipment like this I'd much rather be able to handle any problems locally than have to hassle with returns by mail or freight. Also, I'd put much more stock in reviews and discussions on this forum than anything you see on Amazon.
post #3000 of 4548 Old 02-28-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawncsmith View Post

Hey Shawn,

I actually believe the problem probably originates in the HDMI on my TV (a VIZIO 47" LCD). It has had other curious problems like not recognizing the 24hz output on my blu-ray player unless I force it to.

I find that if I turn everything else I am going to use on first, then the receiver I don't have any problems. I have my remote set to power things on that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page