Old 02-28-2011, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by bootman_head_fi View Post

Just curious which input this happens on and if another one has been tried?

Yes, I tried various HDMI inputs and it happened on them all if I turned the receiver on first, then the TV. Switch the order and no problems.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shikikanzero View Post

im interested in picking up a 1020 from amazon, but can anyone vouch for the recent string of bad reviews on amazon.com? almost all point to the same issue of bad HDMI boards. its the only thing stopping me from picking one up right now compared to the denon avr 591.

I ordered mine from Amazon just a couple weeks ago and I haven't had any issues*. I would have preferred getting it from a B&M, because of ease of returns, but the only nearby that carried it was Best Buy and they wanted $200 more than Amazon.com

*I have the following hookups:
Motorola DCT-6416iii DVR Cable box attached to HDMI 1
Seagate FreeAgent Theatre+ HD attached to HDMI 2
Xbox360 Slim attached to HDMI 3
Sony DVD changer attached to Component 1 & Dig Coax 1
Sony KDF-E42A10 attached to the HDMI Out.

I guess I probably should hook something up to the other HDMI inputs just to verify they function properly, though.
Old 02-28-2011, 06:39 PM

I have solved the problem. I had to make the receiver come on after my TV was fully on. Using the Harmony One Remote I had to change the power on delay and the inter-device delay. I'm still playing with all my setting on the receiver. With all this said the real issue was with the remote setting not my set-up of the receiver. Thanks for everyone's help. I'm going to go through some of the old postings to get some tips.
Old 02-28-2011, 08:03 PM

I have the vsx-1020 working with a klipsch 5.1 speaker set w/subwoofer. I am currently feeding most of my music content from my office computer to my vsx1020 via HDMI. I occasionally hook an ipod to the vsx-1020 to listen to music.

What I'd like to do is install a pair of bookshelf stereo speakers in my kitchen, connected to the vsx-1020, and listen to music via the bookshelf speakers when I'm in the kitchen instead of the living room where the 5.1 speakers are. And in the rare occasion when someone may be watching sports via 5.1, people in the kitchen may listen to some music. But most of the time I imagine the 5.1 speakers would be off when the bookshelf speakers are on and vice versa.

Where do I connect the bookshelf speakers on the vsx-1020? The instructions don't seem to be super-clear, but I've never really worked with a second zone. Also, will the hdmi input from my computer feed the bookshelf speakers like it is feeding the 5.1 speakers? I've heard the second zone is not digital. If HDMI doesn't feed them, then what should I do? Thanks so much for any advice!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDRNHL View Post

I ordered mine from Amazon just a couple weeks ago and I haven't had any issues*. I would have preferred getting it from a B&M, because of ease of returns, but the only nearby that carried it was Best Buy and they wanted $200 more than Amazon.com

*I have the following hookups:
Motorola DCT-6416iii DVR Cable box attached to HDMI 1
Seagate FreeAgent Theatre+ HD attached to HDMI 2
Xbox360 Slim attached to HDMI 3
Sony DVD changer attached to Component 1 & Dig Coax 1
Sony KDF-E42A10 attached to the HDMI Out.

I guess I probably should hook something up to the other HDMI inputs just to verify they function properly, though.

When I bought my 1020 last week Best Buy matched the Amazon price. Not the Amazon resellers but the actual Amazon price. I saved $245.. He said the whole company will be doing that moving forward FYI....
Old 02-28-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrdluck13 View Post

When I bought my 1020 last week Best Buy matched the Amazon price. Not the Amazon resellers but the actual Amazon price. I saved $245.. He said the whole company will be doing that moving forward FYI....

Great! Thanks for the info
Old 02-28-2011, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by civilsurfer View Post

I have the vsx-1020 working with a klipsch 5.1 speaker set w/subwoofer. I am currently feeding most of my music content from my office computer to my vsx1020 via HDMI. I occasionally hook an ipod to the vsx-1020 to listen to music.

What I'd like to do is install a pair of bookshelf stereo speakers in my kitchen, connected to the vsx-1020, and listen to music via the bookshelf speakers when I'm in the kitchen instead of the living room where the 5.1 speakers are. And in the rare occasion when someone may be watching sports via 5.1, people in the kitchen may listen to some music. But most of the time I imagine the 5.1 speakers would be off when the bookshelf speakers are on and vice versa.

Where do I connect the bookshelf speakers on the vsx-1020? The instructions don't seem to be super-clear, but I've never really worked with a second zone. Also, will the hdmi input from my computer feed the bookshelf speakers like it is feeding the 5.1 speakers? I've heard the second zone is not digital. If HDMI doesn't feed them, then what should I do? Thanks so much for any advice!

Civilsurfer, to connect your bookshelf speakers...
If you insist on playing two different sources in your two zones simultaneously, then you will have to connect your bookshelf speakers to the Zone 2 speaker outs which are actually the Surround back speaker terminals (see p.30 in manual). Unfortuantely, you are also right about zone 2's inability of processing digital signals. You would thus have to send an analog signal from your PC to your receiver. Perhaps a mini-jack (small headphone) to RCA stereo in your receiver.

Alternatively, you could just connect your bookshelf speakers to the B Speaker terminals on your receiver (see p. 19&72). This would only allow you to listen to one source simultaneously. And you could also toggle the speakers on/off between zones. The good news is that you could play any signal through those speakers - HDMI digital and all.

I'd like to mention that Zone 2 still outputs I-Pod, USB, Internet radio and tuner as well as any analog input... which isn't too bad. Also, you can usually add an analog wire to your HDMI components to make them work too. But, having to use more wires, this day in age, really kills me on the inside. I'm still battling with the pros and cons myself! :-(
Old 03-01-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickytee View Post

Civilsurfer, to connect your bookshelf speakers...
If you insist on playing two different sources in your two zones simultaneously, then you will have to connect your bookshelf speakers to the Zone 2 speaker outs which are actually the Surround back speaker terminals (see p.30 in manual). Unfortuantely, you are also right about zone 2's inability of processing digital signals. You would thus have to send an analog signal from your PC to your receiver. Perhaps a mini-jack (small headphone) to RCA stereo in your receiver.

Alternatively, you could just connect your bookshelf speakers to the B Speaker terminals on your receiver (see p. 19&72). This would only allow you to listen to one source simultaneously. And you could also toggle the speakers on/off between zones. The good news is that you could play any signal through those speakers - HDMI digital and all.

I'd like to mention that Zone 2 still outputs I-Pod, USB, Internet radio and tuner as well as any analog input... which isn't too bad. Also, you can usually add an analog wire to your HDMI components to make them work too. But, having to use more wires, this day in age, really kills me on the inside. I'm still battling with the pros and cons myself! :-(

Has anyone been able to adjust the eq settings (or any settings for that matter) for Zone 2 speakers? If there is a way, I can't seem to find it. I would love to boost the treble and bass for these 2 speakers. I'm guessing they're just being driven without an eq curve.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:59 AM

I ordered mine on the 25th from Amazon for 368 shipped and can't wait for it to arrive, I've yet to recieve a tracking #. I just looked and Amazon already has dropped the price to 358 shipped.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaveyAxe View Post

Has anyone been able to adjust the eq settings (or any settings for that matter) for Zone 2 speakers? If there is a way, I can't seem to find it. I would love to boost the treble and bass for these 2 speakers. I'm guessing they're just being driven without an eq curve.

I think you are right, you cannot set eq levels or any MCACC settings or anything like that for Zone 2. If you were using an amp for zone 2, you
Old 03-01-2011, 08:33 PM

Hello,

I need help in connecting the WII to the 1020 receiver. Can someone show me how to do this please?

Thanks
Samsung 8000 TV
Pioneer 1020-K
Bose Acoustimass
Old 03-01-2011, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Wii --- 1020 --- TV

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

Old 03-01-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Wii --- 1020 --- TV

yes, but how? The WII cable has 5 wires - Set of 3 cables - red, blue and green and another set of red and white cables.

I know where to input red, blue and green cables, but where does the red and white cables go? and then how do I connect it to the TV?
Old 03-01-2011, 09:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV-Newbee View Post

yes, but how? The WII cable has 5 wires - Set of 3 cables - red, blue and green and another set of red and white cables.

I know where to input red, blue and green cables, but where does the red and white cables go? and then how do I connect it to the TV?

Hi AV-Newbee, connect the Wii video to "Comp-1 (DVD)" and Wii audio to "DVD Audio In" (L and R). Then connect a HDMI cable from receiver "HDMI Out" to Tv (thats if your tv has HDMI Input and if not then connect Component cables).

Under Input "DVD" Setup assignment screen set HDMI Input and Digital Input to "None" (----) and Component In to "Comp-1".

On the remote, press "Receiver" and then "Signal Sel" button and cylce it to "Analog".
Old 03-01-2011, 10:01 PM

Hi everyone. I just set up my Pioneer VSX-1020-K and realized what a pain getting bare wire into the posts were. I am considering purchasing some banana plugs and was wondering which type you guys recommend: Open Screw or Closed Screw? I'm not quite sure what the differences are, but if you can recommend one, it'll be very helpful. Thanks!
Old 03-02-2011, 02:29 AM

Got mine at Monoprice
Closed screw type, works great on many size wires.
I think open screw means one you can turn on the side with a screwdriver compared to a threaded sleeve through the middle that holds the front and back together as one piece. Also order some wire labels if you don't have them already.

Don't let the smoke out.
My Theater setup: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...&postcount=373
Old 03-02-2011, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi AV-Newbee, connect the Wii video to "Comp-1 (DVD)" and Wii audio to "DVD Audio In" (L and R). Then connect a HDMI cable from receiver "HDMI Out" to Tv (thats if your tv has HDMI Input and if not then connect Component cables).

Under Input "DVD" Setup assignment screen set HDMI Input and Digital Input to "None" (----) and Component In to "Comp-1".

On the remote, press "Receiver" and then "Signal Sel" button and cylce it to "Analog".
Thank you so much. This is exactly what I needed.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Quote:
Originally Posted by iontyre View Post
Yes, I tried various HDMI inputs and it happened on them all if I turned the receiver on first, then the TV. Switch the order and no problems.
You have found your answer.
HDMI handshake timing issues.
Changing the order of what turns up when is really the only fix.

A good universal remote should do it for you.

Are you really hearing a difference?
http://youtu.be/G-lN8vWm3m0
Old 03-02-2011, 06:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlish View Post
You will only get volume control on TV screen with 1020 if your TV/projector supports HDMI-CEC and it's enabled on both sides. But yes, in that case 1020 will lose ability to reassign HDMI inputs to TV/SAT button, and yes 1020 will keep switching to that button whenever it "senses" TV. You can switch back to HDMI afterwards, but it's really annoying.

However, if you stick with component/coax for your cable box, that's not a problem for you - you still can assign component/coax to TV/SAT. Just not HDMI (so don't switch cable box to HDMI).

Even more annoying is that TV will switch to internal tuner whenever you turn off your blueray player. That can be cured by disabling HDMI-CEC on the blueray player side (but then 1020 will not automatically switch to BD input when you start blueray playback).

So it is kinda workable, as long as you're not using "all HDMI" setup. Ironical isn't it...
Forgive me for quoting something from last year, but I just got this receiver and have the same problem as everyone else. DVR connected to HDMI 1 on the receiver, then hdmi out to Samsung Tv. I have HDMI CEC turned on, as I like having the TV turn on when I turn the receiver on, and it saves having 5 different remotes on the table at once.

Obviously the problem is when they turn on, the receiver defaults to TV/SAT, which obiously is not HDMI 1, which requires a switch to the inputs every single time. The workaround is to set the TV/SAT input to use HDMI 1 as its input, but I found out while reading this thread, you cant do that if HDMI control is on.

But I believe I found a workaround that I dont think has been mentioned yet. I renamed the TV/SAT input to just TV, or anything else for that matter. Then I renamed the HDMI 1 input to TV/SAT. This seems to have fixed the problem, as now every time I turn the devices on, it defaults to that, which obviously the receiver thinks that is the TV/SAT input when in reality its just HDMI 1 renamed.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:08 AM

I've been having a major issue with video/audio between the Pioneer VSX-1020-K and the Samsung BD-6500 Blu-Ray Player and Cisco RNG150 HD cable box. Images and audio from the HD box will stutter and images becomes pixelated quite often. When I try playing a bluray, the signal keeps dropping and the entire TV screen will display static. There is a slight "popping" sound in all the speakers when my bluray player is on and connected via HDMI. I'm not sure what is causing this: interference or perhaps a defective receiver. If anyone can give any suggestions, it'll be very helpful.
Old 03-02-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctaudio View Post
I've been having a major issue with video/audio between the Pioneer VSX-1020-K and the Samsung BD-6500 Blu-Ray Player and Cisco RNG150 HD cable box. Images and audio from the HD box will stutter and images becomes pixelated quite often. When I try playing a bluray, the signal keeps dropping and the entire TV screen will display static. There is a slight "popping" sound in all the speakers when my bluray player is on and connected via HDMI. I'm not sure what is causing this: interference or perhaps a defective receiver. If anyone can give any suggestions, it'll be very helpful.
I had the same issue. I had called Pioneer, they told me to send the receiver for technical support for repairs. Instead of that, I chose to replace the unit. I replaced my receiver, but still had the same problem. I was using the BD input. After I got the new receiver, I used the HDMI 1 input and that fixed the problem. If anyone has had similar issues please share your solutions here. Please check attachments for proof of what was happening. Notice the flashing, loss of sound and the static
Attachment 203822

Attachment 203823

Attachment 203824

Here's a link to the video: http://www.melangemedia.com/harshad/M4H02096.zip
LL
LL
LL
Old 03-02-2011, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Thank you so much. This is exactly what I needed.
Can you please explain this further?
"Under Input "DVD" Setup assignment screen set HDMI Input and Digital Input to "None" (----) and Component In to "Comp-1".

I have made the connections correctly. I have the Harmony Universal remote.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:02 PM

I also requested a replacement receiver and see how that works out.

From your screenshot, it doesn't appear as bad as my problem. My entire screen actually displays static and will disappear and reappear abruptly. It is impossible to watch a Blu-ray with such an issue. Hopefully, the replacement receiver will be okay.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by distinctaudio View Post
I also requested a replacement receiver and see how that works out.

From your screenshot, it doesn't appear as bad as my problem. My entire screen actually displays static and will disappear and reappear abruptly. It is impossible to watch a Blu-ray with such an issue. Hopefully, the replacement receiver will be okay.
actually it is much worst than it looks. I have a video clip which I tried uploading, but could not.

Here's a temp link to the video: http://www.melangemedia.com/harshad/M4H02096.zip
Old 03-02-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:

actually it is much worst than it looks. I have a video clip which I tried uploading, but could not.

Here's a temp link to the video: http://www.melangemedia.com/harshad/M4H02096.zip

Did you have the same problem when connecting your Bluray player to the "BD Input" with your replacement receiver?

Also, what exactly did Pioneer tell you was the issue?
Old 03-02-2011, 02:55 PM

Hi, I just recently purchased the pio 1020 and had a question. Why is there no indicator light on the front of the receiver for the surround back speakers and sub?? There are indicator lights for the surrounds, fronts and center. I have verified that my surround backs and sub are working correctly. Thanks, just curious.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgcclark View Post

Hi, I just recently purchased the pio 1020 and had a question. Why is there no indicator light on the front of the receiver for the surround back speakers and sub?? There are indicator lights for the surrounds, fronts and center. I have verified that my surround backs and sub are working correctly. Thanks, just curious.

Have you fed it a 7.1 source?

Old 03-02-2011, 03:44 PM

Hi...I was going to buy yamaha 2065,but after some research,I realized that the iPhone and 3D advantages changed my mind then decided to buy Pio 1120,then also realized that there is another option 1020 which is 200$ cheaper..
1120;560$
1020;360$

Is is worth paying 200 $ more..
It'll run with Bose acoustimass 10..and will be used in 5mX6m room.I live in Europe fir a while.
I read some posts about lacking of power over 1020,also video processor issue,THX,anchor and marvel upscaling issues..all those worth 200$..or not big deals..
I'm not an audiophile.also I want it to be with me at least for 5 years with pleased..pls consider those..
Old 03-02-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serworacle View Post

Is is worth paying 200 $ more..
It'll run with Bose acoustimass 10..

No.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Have you fed it a 7.1 source?

Yes, several blu-rays. I've had the receiver on auto-surround, pure direct, pro-logicIIx and the receiver never indicates the surround backs. Is the indicator lights for the surround backs supposed to be xl and xr? And what's the indicator light for the sub? Lfe? Thanks in advance.