post #301 of 4580 Old 05-07-2010, 06:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schlar01 View Post

I'm not an expert with this stuff but I was wonder if anyone thinks I should have an amplifier to power these or whether I don't have to worry about it?

I don't think you have to worry about it. Those are 8ohm speakers and very efficient -- 91dB. I have some of the Northridge E series, and there's nothing special about them that requires a lot of amplifier power.

Greg Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #302 of 4580 Old 05-08-2010, 12:36 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn View Post

Ok i know this has been answered but stick with me if you can.

Ive done the MCACC cal on my pioneer, and the front left and rights came up as large. Should have them that way or should i manually switch it to small? does it create a better sound? their not HUGE speakers, just maybe 15''s tall?

Setting the fronts to LARGE will ensure that they get the full range sound. However, for stereo sources, the Sub will not be engaged. Many people have a problem with this. Hence, the usual recommended setting, if you have a Sub, is to keep all speakers to SMALL and the Sub to YES.

However, if you WANT to send the full range audio signal to the fronts, you can keep them as LARGE, and change the Sub to PLUS, your Sub will then be engaged for stereo sources as well. However, this is not an accurate representation of bass and may lead to decreased bass due to low frequency cancellations. Play around with the settings, and keep them at one you like.
post #303 of 4580 Old 05-08-2010, 12:40 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetastic View Post

I just tried to connect my laptop to the VSX-1020-K via DVI/HDMI and TOSLINK, but I am not getting any picture. Furthermore, the audio only comes through when I disconnect the video cable (or go to the VSX setup menu screen). The MacBook Pro does detect the VSX-1020-K.

Will this receiver not take input coming from a DVI source? It would be a shame to have to do DVI -> Component. What are my options?

If the 1020 works in a similar way to the 1019, then your problem does have a solution.

You need to assign the HDMI input to an unused input, say TV/SAT or DVD, then assign the Optical input to the DIGITAL, in the same input. Rename that input as HTPC or laptop according to your convenience.

Then switch to that input. You should now be able to see the video being input from the HDMI cable. Now, on the remote, you need to press Receiver, then SIGNAL SEL to toggle between the different audio inputs. Keep it at DIGITAL, so that the receiver knows to output the audio from the Optical cable (instead of the HDMI cable), for that particular input. You need to do this only once.

Hopefully, this should sort out your problem.
post #304 of 4580 Old 05-08-2010, 11:34 AM

Hi -

Just picked up my first AVR - the 1020, from BB. They offered me a 4yr extended warranty (replaces the 1yr manuf. warranty) for $100 covers pretty much everything. Not having any experience w/ AVRs, would this make any sense? Do things tend to go wrong with these things after year 1? If they tend to fail or need repair in year 2-4, this might not be a bad deal - although I generally don't go for the extra warranty.

thanks in advance!
post #305 of 4580 Old 05-08-2010, 11:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked: 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscheid View Post

Hi -

Just picked up my first AVR - the 1020, from BB. They offered me a 4yr extended warranty (replaces the 1yr manuf. warranty) for $100 covers pretty much everything. Not having any experience w/ AVRs, would this make any sense? Do things tend to go wrong with these things after year 1? If they tend to fail or need repair in year 2-4, this might not be a bad deal - although I generally don't go for the extra warranty.

thanks in advance!

It's really a personal choice. If you can afford it and it makes you feel comfortable, fine. Most AVR's will develop a problem if they have a problem, PDQ.

Uncle Willie

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #306 of 4580 Old 05-08-2010, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
does the 1020 have an all channel stereo or similar listening mode?
post #307 of 4580 Old 05-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

does the 1020 have an all channel stereo or similar listening mode?

The 1019 has an EXT.STEREO mode, which I'm guessing is what you're looking for. No reason why the 1020 shouldn't have it.
post #308 of 4580 Old 05-08-2010, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscheid View Post

Hi -

thanks in advance!

The extended warranties are where retailers make most of their money - it's a waste most of the time. My last receiver (Sony) is still going strong after 12 years of heavy use. save your $100. Also, man credit cards automatically double your warranty for free.
post #309 of 4580 Old 05-08-2010, 02:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Just bought one to replace an aging Sony STR-DE925. This thing so far so good. Issue, I can't figure out how to stop the flickering on 480p video from my DBS. I have DTV HR22 connected via HDMI, HDMI to DVI to my Panasonic CT32HL43G. Receiver is set to Pure(default I suppose) HD signals from DVR are just fine. I can't find how to fix this in the manual.
post #310 of 4580 Old 05-08-2010, 04:45 PM

Hi. I live in Brazil and am in the US for a 2 week stay. I'm thinking of purchasing the 1020, but before doing so I'd like to know more about media server integration and functionality. I understand that by connecting the ethernet cable to my router, I should be able to get to my network storage / media. However, I don't know if there's anything that can be done from the remote to select media files, music playlists, etc. Or is it the case of needing to play media using my PC and sending to the receiver? Do I need a 3rd party media player? I don't understand much about this stuff and I'm trying to understand. How does the 1020 compare to other receivers with regards to ease of use?

The same is true for Internet Radio and Internet video streaming. Living in Brazil, with very poor conventional radio in any case, it's a huge feature for me to be able to play high quality Internet radio sources from all over the world. My doubt is about the usefulness of the human interface. I mean, do I have to set up Internet radio stations one by one through my PC or receiver? That's a bit tedious. What if I do a subscription to Sirius Radio Internet, for example. Would I be able to browse the channels easily?
Sorry, I'm not a tech guy. I'm trying to absorb it all. There's so much tech info available in the manual, but the really important stuff, how people interface with all these new wonderful features, is still not clear to me.

Thanks a lot!
post #311 of 4580 Old 05-08-2010, 06:08 PM

The 1020 cannot play files on your network through the Ethernet cable - the only way it can play mp3, etc. files is though the USB jack in the front. It can accommodate a USB thumb drive or a hard drive.

The internet radio feature is a tad weird - you do have to set up stations manually, which can be done (a) with the remote (which would be maddening as the text input via remote is slow and awkward), (b) via USB keyboard (plugs into the same USB jack in the front as thumb drives), or (c) via a computer on your network (you go to the IP address for your receiver and it pulls up the list of stations). You can only access free, streaming, internet radio sites that have dedicated feeds - you cannot access sites that require subscriptions (e.g., Sirius) or special software/web pages (e.g., Pandora). The free stations it comes pre-programmed with are decent, though.

Hope this helps.
post #312 of 4580 Old 05-08-2010, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdehaan View Post

However, I don't know if there's anything that can be done from the remote to select media files, music playlists, etc. Or is it the case of needing to play media using my PC and sending to the receiver? Do I need a 3rd party media player?

Probably you want a dlna server and client. For info, look at the Wikipedia entry Digital Living Network Alliance or go to www.dlna.org. Unfortunately, the 1020 is not a dlna client -- I think you have to step up in the Pioneer line to an Elite for that. In the versions I've seen, there is a menu system on the client that lets you select with a remote (or whatever) a photo, song, video, or list of several of those, and the server sends the content of the piece you selected over your local network for display on your client. There are special purpose devices for servers, but also server programs for a computer, some free. I use a free server for Linux (and for the Mac) called "MediaTomb". Besides AVRs, some TVs and other devices can be dlna clients (I use a DirecTV satellite receiver).

Maybe some else can point you to an AVR with dlna.

Greg Lee
post #313 of 4580 Old 05-08-2010, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zervinb View Post

If the 1020 works in a similar way to the 1019, then your problem does have a solution.

You need to assign the HDMI input to an unused input, say TV/SAT or DVD, then assign the Optical input to the DIGITAL, in the same input. Rename that input as HTPC or laptop according to your convenience.

Thanks for the reply, zervinb! I followed your instructions, but it basically put me in the same place I was already. For HDMI-1, you could already select a different digital audio source. When I set it up your way it seemed to replicate that setting. And still I got no video.

Has anyone had success with a DVI -> HDMI cable on the VSX-1020?

-- Gene
post #314 of 4580 Old 05-08-2010, 07:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:

Thanks for the reply, zervinb! I followed your instructions, but it basically put me in the same place I was already. For HDMI-1, you could already select a different digital audio source. When I set it up your way it seemed to replicate that setting. And still I got no video.

Has anyone had success with a DVI -> HDMI cable on the VSX-1020?

-- Gene

Hi Gene, did you happen to try the other three HDMI jacks? If not give that a try.
post #315 of 4580 Old 05-08-2010, 10:33 PM

I just picked up the 1020 today at bb and used a 10% off found earlier in the posts which dropped the price under $499. I am in the process of building my HT and installing speakers. Here is what I want to do on a temp basis:
I have an HDMI to my Plasma and my Tivo, PS3, and 360 are all HDMI as well. I want to be able to use the 1020 only as an HDMI switch. What do I need to do to get the sound out to the tv? I have no speakers hooked up to the 1020 yet. They are on order and look to be in sometime in the next week or so. Currently I am unhooking the HDMI running from the TV and plugging it in to what ever device I want to use. I would like to hook up my new toy and play with it but I don't see the sense if I get no sound.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #316 of 4580 Old 05-08-2010, 11:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tissu69 View Post

I just picked up the 1020 today at bb and used a 10% off found earlier in the posts which dropped the price under $499. I am in the process of building my HT and installing speakers. Here is what I want to do on a temp basis:
I have an HDMI to my Plasma and my Tivo, PS3, and 360 are all HDMI as well. I want to be able to use the 1020 only as an HDMI switch. What do I need to do to get the sound out to the tv? I have no speakers hooked up to the 1020 yet. They are on order and look to be in sometime in the next week or so. Currently I am unhooking the HDMI running from the TV and plugging it in to what ever device I want to use. I would like to hook up my new toy and play with it but I don't see the sense if I get no sound.

Hi tissu69, set HDMI Audio to "Through".
post #317 of 4580 Old 05-08-2010, 11:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do I need to do to get the sound out to the tv?

HDMI carries both audio and video, so if the TV is getting video over HDMI, sound will come along with it.

Greg Lee
post #318 of 4580 Old 05-09-2010, 09:17 AM

Quote:

Where was that coupon located in the forum? I have seen it, but cannot find it anywhere. Any help would be great. Thanks
post #319 of 4580 Old 05-09-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve--O View Post

Where was that coupon located in the forum? I have seen it, but cannot find it anywhere. Any help would be great. Thanks

Go back to page 6 post #175.
post #320 of 4580 Old 05-09-2010, 09:31 AM

post #321 of 4580 Old 05-09-2010, 09:40 AM

Thanks guys...much appreciated...I was going mad trying to find the damn thing.
post #322 of 4580 Old 05-09-2010, 10:39 AM

This is odd, I just lost the video out for one of the inputs. Here's what happened:

I was watching and listening to the input on HDMI-2. I then turned off the TV, because I only needed the audio, but when I did so, the audio cut out. OK, so I turned the TV back on. The audio came back, but there was no video. Other inputs still have video, but HDMI-2 has no video signal coming out. I've tried turning everything off and on.

Anyone know how to get my HDMI-2 video out working again?

Thanks!

Gene
post #323 of 4580 Old 05-09-2010, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

HDMI carries both audio and video, so if the TV is getting video over HDMI, sound will come along with it.

This is true as a general matter - however - the 1020 does NOT pass along the audio when it is doing its thing... As mentioned above you can set HDMI to "though" - also if you have a component (such as a BD player) that supports HDMI-CEC, when you turn off the 1020 it will allow you to continue watching the HDMI source that was on and the audio will start coming out of the TV speakers...
post #324 of 4580 Old 05-09-2010, 03:25 PM

Hi guys/girls,

I have an odd problem w/ my 1020-K, which is my very first receiver. :X

Setup:

- Definitive Technology Mythos SSA-42 --[via speaker wire]--> Pioneer 1020-K
- Definitive Technology Mythos ProSub 800 --[via RCA]--> Pioneer 1020-K
- HTPC w/ ATI Radeon 5570 --[via HDMI out]--> 1020-K HDMI INPUT 1
- Pioneer 1020-K HDMI Out --[via HDMI]--> Samsung LCD
- Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

Problem:

- When playing music via Windows Media Player/VLC everything is fine and the 1020-K switches to "PCM"
- When I go to do something else, like launch a browser and browse in the background, the music automatically seems like it changes to a different channel configuration and sounds muffled. Sometimes it cracks and pops. :O

- If I close WMP/VLC and start the music over again it is fine, until I go to multi-task (do something else) and then it usually happens again.
- It is reproducable.
- I changed the 'Stream Direct' from Auto to Pure Direct, happens with both

Not sure what the problem is =(

ANY help would be appreciated!!!!!! Thanks guys!

- Maria <3

NEVERMIND: Got it =) Have to set "Configure Speakers" in Windows setup to "Stereo" or "Quadraphonic" -- NOT 5.1
post #325 of 4580 Old 05-09-2010, 05:05 PM

Hey I have the 1019, that I just bought a year ago. Is there any reason to upgrade to this model? I believe the remote is backlight now. Is there anything else worth upgrading for?
post #326 of 4580 Old 05-09-2010, 05:13 PM

Just picked up my 1020 at BB today. Will be setting up this week. Sounds like a good receiver for the price.
post #327 of 4580 Old 05-09-2010, 05:42 PM

Quote:

This is odd, I just lost the video out for one of the inputs. Here's what happened:

I was watching and listening to the input on HDMI-2. I then turned off the TV, because I only needed the audio, but when I did so, the audio cut out. OK, so I turned the TV back on. The audio came back, but there was no video. Other inputs still have video, but HDMI-2 has no video signal coming out. I've tried turning everything off and on.

I ended up pulling out the HDMI cables and reconnecting them and that returned my signal. Surely there must be a more elegant solution than that...

Gene
post #328 of 4580 Old 05-09-2010, 07:17 PM

Hello again fellow a/v lovers

Two things this time

I finally got around to rehooking up my speakers outside to my pioneer instead of my old radio. Real nice to have everything running off of one thing.

First question, can you switch between speakers a and b (zone 1 and zone 2) on the remote? or do you have to do it on the reciever itself.

And second question is, is it possible for me to play the radio on zone 2, while listening to say a movie from my ps3 in the main room? If so, id love to know haha

thanks again guys
post #329 of 4580 Old 05-09-2010, 07:48 PM

I just hooked up my 1020 today and ran into a problem.

I have it wired to my Motorola DCH3200 cable box (via HDMI), and can't get it to put out a Dolby signal...everything is PCM.

I have the cable box audio output set to "passthrough"...the other settings are "PCM" and "Auto" (which also results in PCM displayed on the 1020).

I figure there's some config setting on the 1020 I'm missing...can anyone help me?
post #330 of 4580 Old 05-09-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrinkles88 View Post

I believe the remote is backlight now.

nope - just a pretty bad glow-in-the-dark
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page