post #3661 of 4547 Old 09-01-2011, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackroc86 View Post

Well that made no difference, must be a different problem.

Have you checked EVERY device?

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3662 of 4547 Old 09-02-2011, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Have you checked EVERY device?

It does it on the two different sat feeds I am running through it.
post #3663 of 4547 Old 09-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Advanced Member

For those with 3D TVs running HDMI through their 1020s, I just wanted to let you know that the ESPN 3D issue has been resolved by DirecTV. We can now watch the channel

For the past 9 months or so the signal was 720p/SBS, which our Pioneers couldn't handle properly. Today the signal is coming in at 1080i, which our AVRs seem to like.

Just to give credit where it's due. This issue could have been fixed by Pioneer, but they chose instead to try to pass the blame or have us update our 2010 models for 2011 models, which can handle the signal properly. So thank you to DirecTV!
post #3664 of 4547 Old 09-02-2011, 12:57 PM

Hey guys - wasting time on Samsung customer service chat, so hoping someone here might know.

I have a Samsung PN64D8000 plasma display. I use a single HDMI 1.4 cable, with ARC feature, from the Pioneer VSX-1021K out port to HDMI 2 In on samsung (ARC) I'm running HDMI from my Time Warner box to HDMI 1 on Pioneer, Sony PS HDMI out to BD in on Pioneer, composite from my old VCR to another Pioneer input. This Samsung has a web browser, and when I go into the browser (not using Samsung Apps installed) via their Smart Hub, and pull up, say a video on Vimeo, or a live web broadcast, the only audio I get is from the cable box feed. I can turn off the cable feed and still get the web browser, but in order to get audio I then have to switch back to Samsung sound menu and go to TV audio, meaning not going through my Pioneer anymore. I could hook up an optical audio link from Samsung to Pioneer, and then turn off cable feed, but not sure that would work since is being carried back to receiver via the single Pioneer output. suggestions?
post #3665 of 4547 Old 09-02-2011, 01:12 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sitsat View Post

Hey guys - wasting time on Samsung customer service chat, so hoping someone here might know.

I have a Samsung PN64D8000 plasma display. I use a single HDMI 1.4 cable, with ARC feature, from the Pioneer VSX-1021K out port to HDMI 2 In on samsung (ARC) I'm running HDMI from my Time Warner box to HDMI 1 on Pioneer, Sony PS HDMI out to BD in on Pioneer, composite from my old VCR to another Pioneer input. This Samsung has a web browser, and when I go into the browser (not using Samsung Apps installed) via their Smart Hub, and pull up, say a video on Vimeo, or a live web broadcast, the only audio I get is from the cable box feed. I can turn off the cable feed and still get the web browser, but in order to get audio I then have to switch back to Samsung sound menu and go to TV audio, meaning not going through my Pioneer anymore. I could hook up an optical audio link from Samsung to Pioneer, and then turn off cable feed, but not sure that would work since is being carried back to receiver via the single Pioneer output. suggestions?

I have similar equipment... for all the SmartTV features you do need to run Samsung Panel's optical to your Pioneer. You still can get Dolby and DTS and all. I have to switch my Pioneer to TV/SAT mode to hear the apps.

Side note: If you leave Samsung's HDMI-CEC feature on (AnyNet?), it switches automatically BUT the side results will drive you bonkers (Turning everything On and such). SO turn that OFF.
post #3666 of 4547 Old 09-02-2011, 02:22 PM

ok - thanks will try optical out from TV to Pioneer
post #3667 of 4547 Old 09-03-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post

For those with 3D TVs running HDMI through their 1020s, I just wanted to let you know that the ESPN 3D issue has been resolved by DirecTV. We can now watch the channel

For the past 9 months or so the signal was 720p/SBS, which our Pioneers couldn't handle properly. Today the signal is coming in at 1080i, which our AVRs seem to like.

Just to give credit where it's due. This issue could have been fixed by Pioneer, but they chose instead to try to pass the blame or have us update our 2010 models for 2011 models, which can handle the signal properly. So thank you to DirecTV!

Thanks for that. Looks like DirecTV might have a new customer soon.
post #3668 of 4547 Old 09-04-2011, 04:39 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi Bogez,

Quote:
I had a quick question about the differences in audio quality between say the 521 and 1021

There are a number of ways to determine this.
Probably the easiest is to go to this Compare Page at Pioneer..
Link here: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...eivers.Compare

Then click the box next to the 521 and then the 1021 if that's what you want to compare.
They will open up side by side, Spec to Spec and Feature to Feature.
I will tell you this, you will be amazed at the differences between the 521 and the 1021, it is like night and day!
Also it is not until you get to the 1021 that you get access to "Manual MCACC" this alone IS a Big Deal.
The reason is that Manual MCACC is what gives you the ability to actually go into the MCACC and manually adjust, the EQ, individual Speaker Sound Levels, etc...etc...

Download the 521 OP Manual...
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ions020711.pdf
Download the 1021 OP Manual..
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/St...ions020711.pdf

521 Brochure:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...20Sheet_11.pdf
1021 Brochure:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...0Sheet_v12.pdf
You didn't ask for it but here is the 1121 Brochure for comparison as well....
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/ep...le%20Sheet.pdf

With the OP Manual's you can see the differences and read about them.
With the Brochures each brochure for the next model up will highlight in BOLD the differences from the lower model.
Keep in mind that when you view the 1021 and or the 1121 it will not put in BOLD everything that is upgraded from the 521 because it is referencing the previous model.
So the 1121 Brochure is highlighting in BOLD just what the 1021 does not have! Hopefully you understand that.
So if you started with the 521 "Product Sheet" and then went to the 821 Product Sheet you would see the actual improvements and then to the 921 to 1021 to the 1121.

So have some fun investigating the differences, but there are a lot.
Do I think that it is worth making the jump to the 1021? Absolutely!

In the Pro Audio World we have a saying, "Buy Once, Cry Once!"
We say this because when people buy cheap and find out what they are missing and then finally buy what they know they needed in the first place,
it actually cost them more money in the long run because they bought twice!
Even if they sell their first choice, they will never get what they paid.. This is Money Lost and for nothing!!!

So decide not only what you want and or need for today but what you can still grow into tomorrow!
If you need extra time to save for the RIGHT Piece of equipment, do it! If you can!

Enjoy,

Bud B
post #3669 of 4547 Old 09-06-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post

Follow the instructions I gave for adding "dialogue enhancement" (which works very well, BTW) here:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3515
Let us know if it works!

The pdf referred to is in the prior post:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showp...postcount=3514

"conversion failure"

Not sure why... I tried a few different ways...

EDIT: Fixed, see repost for solution
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post21010773
post #3670 of 4547 Old 09-08-2011, 01:14 PM

Im having issues since I hooked up my powered sub. I must change my floor standing speakers with nice low end to small in the options menu for any sound to go to the subwoofer at all. Any way around this?
post #3671 of 4547 Old 09-08-2011, 01:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

just forget that the term is "small", and think of it as "use bass management"...

you have it set up "right" now...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3672 of 4547 Old 09-08-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylite View Post

Im having issues since I hooked up my powered sub. I must change my floor standing speakers with nice low end to small in the options menu for any sound to go to the subwoofer at all. Any way around this?

Sorry, I don't have the manual available at the moment, but there's a subwoofer setting "Plus" (or something like that) that allows your fronts to be set to "Large" and still have subwoofer output.
Then just play with the crossover point.
It can be done.

post #3673 of 4547 Old 09-08-2011, 02:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

"plus" rarely, if ever, results in "better" response in the low octaves.... it generally results in a curve that looks like a roller coaster, in addition to other issues...

I didn't mention the plus option for a reason...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #3674 of 4547 Old 09-08-2011, 07:10 PM
Advanced Member

Hi all,

I have a question in regard to HDTV Viewing thru the Pioneer receivers.
I have Time Warner Cable DVR Box HDMI out to Pio and To my Pio Kuro Plasma,
but I will probably be connecting my Pioneers to Comcast Cable in the near future.
I received an advertisement from AT&T for their Uverse System because my DSL service is with them.

Does anyone have their Pioneers connected to AT&T Uverse DVR / HD Boxes or Comcast Cable DVR / HD Boxes?
If so, what do you think?

Thanks,
Bud B
post #3675 of 4547 Old 09-09-2011, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

"plus" rarely, if ever, results in "better" response in the low octaves.... it generally results in a curve that looks like a roller coaster, in addition to other issues...

I didn't mention the plus option for a reason...

I didn't say it would be good, I just said it could be done.
Which was his question. He can determine if he's happy with the results or not.

Let us know, BTW.

post #3676 of 4547 Old 09-09-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

since he's likely to get some reinforcement at some areas, he's probably going to "like it", and not realize that the nulls are there (not to mention other issues)...

this isn't a "listen and see if you like it" issue... if he wants to try it, he should ensure that he has proper measuring tools and knows how to use them...

- chris

post #3677 of 4547 Old 09-09-2011, 09:21 AM

Guys i got the 1021 last month. its awesome. Great improvement in sound quality over my older Onkyos.

I have only one problem. I couldnt output audio from my PC. Audio from my BR player, WD live plus works great with HDMI. From MY PC i use a SPDIFF/Coaxial cable for sound output. I have set that in the Input setup in the receiver under "Video 1" and i dont get any sound. I see the audio waves going up and down in the Master Volume screen in my PC. But no audio through the receiver. I even unplugged the coaxial cable and tried via HDMI through my PC to receiver. Still no sound ?

This setup used to work before in my old Onkyo. Any thing i am missing here ? Please advice.
post #3678 of 4547 Old 09-09-2011, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by srjune1101 View Post

Guys i got the 1021 last month. its awesome. Great improvement in sound quality over my older Onkyos.

I have only one problem. I couldnt output audio from my PC. Audio from my BR player, WD live plus works great with HDMI. From MY PC i use a SPDIFF/Coaxial cable for sound output. I have set that in the Input setup in the receiver under "Video 1" and i dont get any sound. I see the audio waves going up and down in the Master Volume screen in my PC. But no audio through the receiver. I even unplugged the coaxial cable and tried via HDMI through my PC to receiver. Still no sound ?

This setup used to work before in my old Onkyo. Any thing i am missing here ? Please advice.

I'm not near my receiver, but is video 1 one of the hdmi inputs? I used optical from my pc and it worked, I think I used cd. You may be able to force the input to use just the coax, but it was over a year ago that I messed around with it.
post #3679 of 4547 Old 09-10-2011, 11:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

this isn't a "listen and see if you like it" issue... if he wants to try it, he should ensure that he has proper measuring tools and knows how to use them...

Version 2 of ScubaSteve's demo disc is (has been, actually) available and has an interesting "calibration" section which includes files especially for subwoofers.
http://brdemo.chocolateboxphoto.com/#/download/

post #3680 of 4547 Old 09-10-2011, 03:31 PM

Hey guys,

My power went out today and when it came back on the video outputting from my receiver is not working. I have multiple HDMI inputs into my receiver and output it to my tv through HDMI. I've tried multiple sources and for each one there's a quick flicker of green every 10 seconds on the tv. The audio works fine. I tried resetting the receiver with no luck. Any ideas? Do I need to take it to a service center? Any help would be much appreciated.
post #3681 of 4547 Old 09-10-2011, 03:56 PM
Advanced Member

Hi tlathrop8480,

First thing to do if you have not done so already, is to unplug your Pioneer Receiver and leave it unplugged.
Next remove an HDMI cable from the receiver, maybe your Cable box or Blu-Ray player and plug that HDMI cable directly into your HDTV, bypassing your Pioneer receiver completely.
Now make sure that with the Pioneer bypassed everything is OK on your HDTV.
If so then the culprit could be your Pioneer Receiver.
Now with your Pioneer receiver still unplugged connect your Pioneer in line with the HDMI's.
Plug in your Pioneer and turn it on...See if you get Video back on your HDTV.
At least while your Pioneer sits unplugged while you are troubleshooting it's a good thing and may reset if it can.

Lastly if you still do not have Video after everything is connected, do a complete shutdown of all equipment and then turn everything back on in the normal sequence that you use.

After all is done and still no Video, then you will probably need to locate the nearest Pioneer Authorized Repair facility.

If your Pioneer was not on a good Surge Suppressor...Go buy one!
You don't need to spend a ton on a surge protector but also don't spend $5.00 My Pioneers and ALL AV Equipment is on two Panamax Surge Protectors.

Good Luck,

Bud B
post #3682 of 4547 Old 09-10-2011, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post
If your Pioneer was not on a good Surge Suppressor...Go buy one!
You don't need to spend a ton on a surge protector but also don't spend $5.00 My Pioneers and ALL AV Equipment is on two Panamax Surge Protectors.
I use UPSs. One word of advice: get one either without an alarm or with one you can shut off. The one thing you don't need during a power failure is an annoying beep every thirty seconds.

post #3683 of 4547 Old 09-12-2011, 09:16 PM

Hey all,

I just finished my AV setup and can finally use HDMI on my VSX-1020. I purchased a Samsung UN46D7000 and I have a PS3 and X-Box 360 connected to the AVR with HDMI cables.

Now, anytime I have my audio mode set to anything but Ext. Stereo, the signal just comes through my right front and rear speakers. I do have everything connected properly, so I don't understand what is going on.

Any ideas?
post #3684 of 4547 Old 09-14-2011, 04:43 AM

Dear All,

I have replaced my yamaha 457 with vsx 920 recently. I also bought PIONEER S 51 W Sub at the same time with 920. Usage %30 HD MKV,AVI - %65 music (mostly from PC digital archive, itunes and ipod/iphone devices via airplay) %5 Apple TV youtube, pictures etc.

My setup is :

Vsx 920
Quadral 5000 Set (500 F for front) (Frequency resp.: 28...22.000 Hz, Impedance: 4...8, Woofer 2 x 170 mm Ø, Midrange 100 mm Ø, Tweeter 25 mm Ø dome)
PIONEER S 51 W Sub
Desktop PC (asus commando board sound card, 8600 GT without any MKV accelerator in it)
Apple TV (for mainly airplay usage)
DUAL phono

Connections :

PC to LCD (Samsung full HD) via DVI to HDMI cable for Video (should I also connect HDMI to 920 ?)
PC to 920 via SPDIFF optical cable (SPDIFF is limited to 16bit)
Apple TV to 920 via HDMI
920 output to LCD via monster cable

My questions :
1) What should be my SW setting according to my 500 Fs as fronts ? should I leave the settings to MCACC and set %40 to my SW ?
2) Should I upgrade my sound card to get 24 bit/96k sound with my flac and ape files (receiver lights any sing on front lcd that it detects 24 bit/96k ?)
3) Should I upgrade my video card to get more accurate video on LCD ?
4) How can I make my front speaker sticking on the floor (to get little more accurate sound)

Thanks in advance any of your feedbacks and helps
post #3685 of 4547 Old 09-15-2011, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boywhiz88 View Post
Hey all,

I just finished my AV setup and can finally use HDMI on my VSX-1020. I purchased a Samsung UN46D7000 and I have a PS3 and X-Box 360 connected to the AVR with HDMI cables.

Now, anytime I have my audio mode set to anything but Ext. Stereo, the signal just comes through my right front and rear speakers. I do have everything connected properly, so I don't understand what is going on.

Any ideas?
Have you run the auto calibration?
post #3686 of 4547 Old 09-15-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boywhiz88 View Post
Hey all,

Any ideas?
Hi Boywhiz88, suggest checking your front main speaker connections. Make sure both front speakers are connected to "Front Speaker A" terminals (round red/black) and NOT to "Front Height/Wide Speaker B" terminals (spring clip).
post #3687 of 4547 Old 09-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Boywhiz88,

When You ran MCACC and it showed the room with speakers, did it show your Left Front Speaker as THE Left Front Speaker.

Bud B
post #3688 of 4547 Old 09-17-2011, 02:13 PM

Guys, I just got this receiver, and I'm having some trouble with it that the manual is not helping with. If I could get some help here, that would be great!
I've hooked the receiver up to my Xbox360 at the HDMI 1 jack, and hooked up my projector to the HDMI Out jack. I'm using Klipsch 5.1 speakers with 16-gauge monster cable.
My problem is this: When playing a DVD or Netflix through my Xbox, the receiver auto-detects the sound output as Stereo and only plays through the front 2 speakers. It plays 5.1 surround just fine for games, but even if I manually switch to Auto Surround for a DVD or Netflix it will only play deep-field/background sounds and no center channel stuff like dialogue or close-up sounds can be heard. I've got my Xbox set up to play 5.1 surround, and I know the speakers are hooked up right because it works for games; it just automatically switches inputs from surround to stereo for anything else.

Any pointers, or anyone else having this problem?
Thanks!
post #3689 of 4547 Old 09-18-2011, 07:27 PM

Well, this is embarrassing. My labels on my wires must've gotten mixed up when I got my receiver last year. :P All this time...

The MCACC cali helped with the A/V sync issues I had. Thanks guys!
post #3690 of 4547 Old 09-18-2011, 09:30 PM
Advanced Member

I need a refresher on the Video Res settings, which are set to Auto. My goal is to accomplish the best picture with the least amount of time between channel changes. I have a DirectTV HR24 running HDMI into the 1020, then into my Samsung D8000's panel. Now all 3 of these devices have settings regarding upscaling (or not).

The other day I set my DirecTV HR24's "Native" setting to Off. Channel changes were quick! I set it back to native and the channel change time slowed alot. Am I sacrificing picture quality when I leave Native Off? Should I have the 1020 set to Auto?

All input appreciated!
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page