The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1020-K Owner's Thread - Page 131 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3901 of 4546 Old 01-09-2012, 07:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just purchased the 1020 the will replace my Denon AVR-698. I wanted the 1020 because the Denon will not pass audio through the HDMI connection. I have a projector on the other end of a 30' HDMI cable that was working great using the Denon. Upon connection of the 1020, the HDMI signal comes through randomly, sometimes I have to switch the HDMI source to get the signal to register in the Optima HD-72 and other times I have to take the connection out and put it back in. I looked at all the settings and have even dropped the resolution down to 480 and it still doesn't link up.

I am wondering if the Projector cannot handle the extra audio signal that is now being produced on the HDMI connection that previously wasn't there on the Denon.

If that is my problem can I turn off the audio feature on the HDMI out in the 1020?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3902 of 4546 Old 01-09-2012, 07:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

if you are getting sound through your speakers, it is already "off"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3903 of 4546 Old 01-09-2012, 07:58 AM

So what you are saying Chris is that the "HDMI out" will not pass the audio signal if the receiver is providing the sound.
post #3904 of 4546 Old 01-09-2012, 08:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yup... it's an "either/or", not "both"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #3905 of 4546 Old 01-09-2012, 08:25 AM

Well that doesn't help me narrow down why I'm not getting signal to the Projector in a timely fashion. I cannot program my URC remote if the 1020 is not going to link with the projector. My projector cycles through looking for a signal and if it cannot connect up it just gives me a no input error and just sits there. I have to keep re-initiating the cycle and it takes up to 5 and 10 minutes before the 1020 and the projector finally decide to handshake. Very agrivating I must say.
post #3906 of 4546 Old 01-09-2012, 08:33 AM
AVS Addicted Member

well, 30 feet is pushing it... you are likely right on the edge, given what you are saying...

to test something out... move the avr temporarily closer to the pj, and use a shorter cable, and see what you get...

- chris

post #3907 of 4546 Old 01-09-2012, 09:47 AM

This was an existing system that worked great the only difference is the 1020
post #3908 of 4546 Old 01-09-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

that's great, but it's not working now...

want to try and fix your issue, or just complain that "it worked before"?

- chris

post #3909 of 4546 Old 01-09-2012, 11:18 AM

Hey look, I'm asking for assistance not attitude, I am very well versed in the art of troubleshooting. The first thing that I did was isolate the problems away from the physical stuff like cables and connections etc. I just thought someone here might have some information about the 1020 that is different than past equipment like HDMI signal out levels or a setting on my 1020 that is different from past equipment that is keeping me from attaining solid connectivity. If you can't help... you can't help, thank you for the assistance that you did provide. I'm frustrated enough over the fact that I can't get my system to work and the last thing I need is someone sniping at me through a forum.

The projector and 1020 DO handshake and the picture looks great but getting it to actually handshake takes a long time, thats my problem. If you have any other information besides simple troubleshooting procedures involving cables and connections etc. I would certainly appreciate it. Thank you.
post #3910 of 4546 Old 01-09-2012, 11:30 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

good luck...

i CAN help, but you ain't getting help from me now...

- chris

post #3911 of 4546 Old 01-09-2012, 11:38 AM

Really?
post #3912 of 4546 Old 01-10-2012, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Well it seems that many people have issues with longer HDMI cables and the 1020. Somebody earlier in the thread said that the signal on the HDMI out is not very strong on the 1020. Using a repeater as suggested by civilsurfer may be the solution for those kinds of problems. I'd doubt that any equipment with an HDMI input would choke because of audio -- the HDMI spec is built with audio in mind.

post #3913 of 4546 Old 01-12-2012, 04:23 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi All,

Just an FYI to anyone having problems getting Audio & Video with HDMI Out to your HDTV or Projector.

There have been discussions on some other Pioneer Owners Threads that concern HDCP.

If your projector or HDTV is not HDCP Compliant then the Pioneer will not let any HDCP Video such as Blu-Ray pass on to it!
1080i from say your Cable box should pass OK, but any HD Progressive Video that is HDCP will not!
Pre HDCP from Source to HDTV could pass OK, but once you put the Pioneer in the stream it is the ultimate HDCP Police!
For the VSX 1020 you can look in the OP Manual on page 24 at the bottom.
Supposedly if you have a source that is not HDCP Compatible the Pioneer should show this on the display.
But if it is the HDTV that is not compliant the Pioneer may or may not show the HDCP Status on it's display but the AV will still not show up on your HDCP non-Compliant Projector or HDTV.

Just an FYI for people like one poster who had an 8 year old DLP HDTV that would not work with HDMI but his newer HDCP Compliant LCD would.
It WAS due to the Pioneer but it was not a problem that returning the Pioneer would cure!
Virtually ALL AV Equipment of today, incorporate HDCP..It is the Copyright Law!

Quote:

Well it seems that many people have issues with longer HDMI cables and the 1020.

First, Define "Longer" 25 feet, 35 feet, 50 feet or more..etc...
The HDMI Website will state exactly what the Length specs are for HDMI Cable's, and this is a limitation of the cable itself and has nothing to do with Pioneer or any other Manufacturer.
As far as the VSX 1020 or any of the Pioneer's HDMI OUT is concerned..
I have a 25 foot MonoPrice HDMI High Speed cable going from my HTPC to my HDTV with no problems at all. My HTPC has an ATI Radeon HD 5770 Video AV Card.
I would not think for a second that I would have a problem going from my VSX 1020 and running 25 feet to either an HDTV or Projector!
I would blame the HDMI Cable used for the application before blaming Pioneer, Denon, Yamaha, etc...!
Thinking that Pioneer or any AV Manufacturer would put in a sub standard HDMI Interface PCB, P-L-E-A-S-E what possible plus would it be for a Manufacturer to use anything Sub-Standard!
Especially when HDMI IS the Flagship Feature of their units.
If ATI can do it, I guarantee that Pioneer and everyone can, plus Pioneer already knows that this application will more than likely be used, because it is in the Home Theater arena!
ATI would also be more prone to thinking that you are using a short run to your Computer Monitor via the HDMI or DVI Output and not running 25 feet away like I am!

No matter what length of HDMI Cable that you plan on using, use a High Speed HDMI Cable!
Standard may or may not work, plus with little or no difference in cost, why experiment on your Home Theater and use a Standard HDMI Cable!
You just want to hook it all up and it Works! No Drama, Frustrations and least of ALL having to Re-order another cable when you just want to sit down and watch it NOW!
It just does not Compute People! I let others experiment, I order what I need and just get it done tin the first place! LOL!
Plus Standard will not prepare you for the Future of 3D, 2K and 4K! Why buy twice!
That's my 2c on HDMI Cables. It's done me well so far, I hook it up and have no problems..the way that it should be!

Good Luck and Enjoy!

Bud B
post #3914 of 4546 Old 01-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Hi Piratefan13,

The only thing that I would say is to check the obvious in the "Video Parameters"

Check the Outgoing Resolution against the The Incoming Resolution:
In other words, I had my resolution for HDMI 1 which had my cable box plugged into it, set to 1080P because my HDTV is 1080P,
However, my cable box is actually putting out 1080i and not 1080P, it was much better after I set the HDMI Resolution for HDMI 1 to 1080i (which my HDTV will also easily accept)
Once I changed my VSX 1020 to 1080i there seemed to be a difference! Everybody was happy.
My Blu-Ray that goes into the VSX 1020 IS set to 1080P and they are fine with that as well.
I set my HDMI Out to what is coming in. So, I guess that I'm just letting my HDTV adjust accordingly to the incoming Video Signal that it senses.

There has also been some talk and it is also written in the OP Manual, that if there is a problem with the Video, turn the "Digital Video Conversion" "Off" If available for that Input.
Look on page 22 in the "NOTE" section at the bottom of the page in the VSX 1020 OP Manual, though under "About HDMI" this information is in every OP Manual for every Pioneer.

One other thing that I do is that if my Audio and Video are both in the HDMI in the "Signal Select" Box on the front Display (upper Left) I make sure that the Audio Signal is locked onto HDMI and not "Auto"
Auto just means that the Pioneer will search out the Signal and adjust accordingly, my thought is "Why Search" if I know that it's located in the HDMI, then I just put it on HDMI and I'm done with it.
Less for the Pio to do!

Good Luck getting your projector to lock on!
Let us know if any of that helped or you have already done so..I did not back-read all of your posts.

Bud B
post #3915 of 4546 Old 01-12-2012, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Virtually ALL AV Equipment of today, incorporate HDCP..It is the Copyright Law!

HDCP problems are frequent even with HDCP-compliant equipment; handshake issues are typically resolved by powering off & on said equipment or disconnecting-reconnecting the HDMI cable.

It is to be noted that HDCP is NOT mandated by law and that grabbing digital signals from your receiver is not, in general, illegal. HDCP is a technical measure adopted by many makers due to pressure from the content industry to prevent people from copying digital content. But HDCP has yet to stop blu-ray movies from appearing on ThePirateBay; all the while, honest customers having paid high prices for HDCP-compliant equipment and digital content are regularly annoyed or prevented from enjoying their own possessions by HDCP. In short, HDCP sucks, hard.

Quote:

First, Define "Longer" 25 feet, 35 feet, 50 feet or more..etc...

Bah, it was simply a general observation; in the past few weeks, 2-3 posters in this thread seemed to report problems with 30 ft+ HDMI cables; and one of them fixed his issues with a repeater.

Quote:

The HDMI Website will state exactly what the Length specs are for HDMI Cable's, and this is a limitation of the cable itself and has nothing to do with Pioneer or any other Manufacturer.

I was not implying any wrongdoing on the parts of Pioneer. There must be specs as for the minimal output signal on the HDMI OUT and chances are Pioneer respects them. However it may be also true that other receivers output a more powerful or stable signal on HDMI OUT. That being said, there's also probably a maximum signal in the specs. The cable and connectors may of course also have say in the resulting signal.

Quote:

Thinking that Pioneer or any AV Manufacturer would put in a sub standard HDMI Interface PCB, P-L-E-A-S-E what possible plus would it be for a Manufacturer to use anything Sub-Standard!

Err... that comment sounds a little bit naive IMHO. Substandard is used because it costs less and therefore allow for higher margins. Lower quality components are used everywhere now...

Quote:

Especially when HDMI IS the Flagship Feature of their units.

I'd say HDMI is simply a connexion standard; not really a flagship feature.

Quote:

Plus Standard will not prepare you for the Future of 3D, 2K and 4K! Why buy twice!

Standard HDMI cables are hard to find now. And High Speed HDMI does not guarantee any of the features you outlined above. The reverse is true (i.e. you'll need High Speed cable for 3D or ethernet networking) but some High Speed cable, for example, may not support them.

And I guarantee you that when I buy a 4K 3D TV I won't mind shelling a few bucks more for the proper cable :P

post #3916 of 4546 Old 01-12-2012, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Neutro,

HDCP Is because of a US law:
There is a US law called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), that makes it illegal to distribute "circumvention technology", such as systems that break copyright protection schemes.
HDCP IS used to protect copyrights.
HDCP is from Intel and every manufacturer has to pay Licenses to use it.
If this was not due to mandatory copyright infringement license to do business I am sure that they would not succumb to it.
Google HDCP and DMCA. Plenty of results.

I said: Thinking that Pioneer or any AV Manufacturer would put in a sub standard HDMI Interface PCB, P-L-E-A-S-E, what possible plus would it be for a Manufacturer to use anything Sub-Standard!

Quote:

Err... that comment sounds a little bit naive IMHO. Substandard is used because it costs less and therefore allow for higher margins. Lower quality components are used everywhere now...

I understand Higher Margins but the new flush of AV receivers center on two things: HDMI HD Video Connectivity and today's Home Theater Surround, thus the name AV Receiver!
Today's receivers are not like yesterday's "Audio" receivers and have come full turn into their own as a Home Theater Center of attention!
HDMI deals with the Video and the Processing of it, it is the Delivery method until something better comes along!
Video Processing power is touted as much as the Audio Processing, such as Marvell Qdeo, like Pioneer uses.

I think that corners are cut, but with today's Bench Test reviews, they will be discovered and that cut corner, is your reputation!
If you are a main AV Receiver Player, Cut Corners is a very dangerous game to play!
I have always thought of Pioneer as a Manufacturer that is known for not Cutting Corners and if it did, let's face, WE would not be here!
I do not mind paying for a quality product.
For those that don't, go to the lower Cheapo segment of the market and you will find lots of corners being cut. Theirs is strictly Price over Quality!
Now a Pioneer VSX 821 is not an Elite SC57 and the more you pay the more quality all the way around is in the box.
But the person that buys the VSX 821 knows this and yet still expects his VSX 821 to be a quality Pioneer receiver, not rife with cut corners, but still a well designed quality VSX 821 that will for his or her needs be Great!
I bought my Pioneer Kuro for the reason that Pioneer does not cut corners and believes in designing and manufacturing a Quality Product!
Unfortunately People did not appreciate it and Pioneer rather than cut corners and make the Kuro's less than they were, they just quit making them..I can respect that!
Now Sharp is making the "Elite's" and we will see if the people will pay $$$ for the Quality!

Lastly, HDMI Cable:
I said: Plus Standard will not prepare you for the Future of 3D, 2K and 4K! Why buy twice!
Quote:

And High Speed HDMI does not guarantee any of the features you outlined above. The reverse is true (i.e. you'll need High Speed cable for 3D or ethernet networking) but some High Speed cable, for example, may not support them.

You need to go here to the HDMI Website and check it out: If you have some HDMI High Speed cable that does not support the High Speed Specs, please let us all know, so we do not purchase it.
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdm...ght_cable.aspx

Wish you well,

Bud B
post #3917 of 4546 Old 01-12-2012, 01:03 PM

I just purchased a manufactured refurbished 1020 to replace a sony receiver. I went to hook up everything like the Sony receiver and got no video or audio. I am wondering if the HDMI out port is broke or I am having one of the issues y'all mention.

I am using it in a room where I have a somewhat dated Panasonic plasma (1080i) TH-50PHD8UK. I have a HD Directv Receiver (DirecTV H25-500) connected directly to the 1020 with HDMI (HDMI port 2, but have checked other ports as well). And then an HDMI out to the Panasonic monitor via the HDMI out port on the 1020. Without any further connections, I get no audio or video. Strangely, if I disconnect the HDMI out cord going to the TV and leave the HDMI from the Directv receiver into one of the HDMI inputs, then I get audio. I even tried a different TV (1080p TV) with the same result. The directv receiver is outputting at 1080i which is the resolution of the panasonic monitor. I could understand that the video may not be displaying if my TV isn't HDCP Compliant, but shouldn't I still get audio??? Is it possible that the port is just broke?

Anything I can try? I do not believe that I am using high speed HDMI cables - could that be the problem?

The only way I could get the receiver to perform is to conenct the directv receiver via HDMI directly to the monitor and then use an audio connection from the directv box to the 1020.
post #3918 of 4546 Old 01-12-2012, 05:22 PM
Advanced Member

Hi djdego02,

When you were making the connections was the Pioneer unplugged?
After connections are all made and the receiver is plugged in , you will see the HDMI Indicator flash as it's acquisition is being made.
Try unplugging the 1020 wait 10 seconds and then plug it back in.

HDCP does not care about 1080i, just Blu-Ray!
Go to page 70 in the OP Manual and check your Video Parameters.

Scroll through the Resolution on your Pioneer HDMI

Make sure that "HDMI Control" is set to Off. See Page 60 in the OP Manual.

Let us know.

Bud B
post #3919 of 4546 Old 01-12-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdego02 View Post

I just purchased a manufactured refurbished 1020 to replace a sony receiver. I went to hook up everything like the Sony receiver and got no video or audio. I am wondering if the HDMI out port is broke or I am having one of the issues y'all mention.

I am using it in a room where I have a somewhat dated Panasonic plasma (1080i) TH-50PHD8UK. I have a HD Directv Receiver (DirecTV H25-500) connected directly to the 1020 with HDMI (HDMI port 2, but have checked other ports as well). And then an HDMI out to the Panasonic monitor via the HDMI out port on the 1020. Without any further connections, I get no audio or video. Strangely, if I disconnect the HDMI out cord going to the TV and leave the HDMI from the Directv receiver into one of the HDMI inputs, then I get audio. I even tried a different TV (1080p TV) with the same result. The directv receiver is outputting at 1080i which is the resolution of the panasonic monitor. I could understand that the video may not be displaying if my TV isn't HDCP Compliant, but shouldn't I still get audio??? Is it possible that the port is just broke?

Anything I can try? I do not believe that I am using high speed HDMI cables - could that be the problem?

The only way I could get the receiver to perform is to conenct the directv receiver via HDMI directly to the monitor and then use an audio connection from the directv box to the 1020.

You can try this that I found in the manual pg: 111 you can download the Manual In pioneer website
No image is output when an input is selected.
? Check the video connections of th e source component (see page 27).

? For HDMI, or when digital video conversion is set to OFF and a TV and another component are connected with different cords (in Setting the Video options on page 70), you must connect your TV to this receiver using the same type of video cable as you used to connect your video component.

? Make sure the input assignment is correct for components connected using component video or HDMI cables (see The Input Setup menu on page 40).

? Check the video output settings of the source component.

? Check that the video input you se lected on your TV is correct.

Some components (such as video game units) have resolutions that may not be converted. If adjusting this receiver's Resolution setting (in Setting the Video options on page 70) and/or the resolution settings on your component or display doesn't work, try switching Digital Video Conversion (in Setting the Video options on page 70) OFF.

If that doesn't help you can try resetting your receiver to factory default. Doing this will erase all your setting and calibration but if nothing else works you can try it out and redo the pioneer calibration for your speakers again. In the manual pg 75

Resetting the system

Use this procedure to reset all the receiver's settings to the factory default. Use the front panel controls to do this. Set MULTI-ZONE to OFF.

? Disconnect the iPod and USB memory device from the receiver beforehand.

1 Switch the receiver into standby.

2 While holding down ENTER on the front panel, press ? STANDBY/ON. The display shows RESET ? NO ?.

3 Select 'RESET' using PRESET ?/?, then press ENTER on the front panel. The display shows RESET? OK.

4 Press ENTER to confirm. OK appears in the display to indicate that the receiver has been reset to the factory default settings.

? Note that all settings will be saved, even if the receiver is unplugged.
post #3920 of 4546 Old 01-13-2012, 08:31 PM

Thanks for the reply.

Reset everything. Connected TV to HDMI OUT. Connected Directv receiver to HDMI 1.

I set input TV/SAT to HDMI INPUT 1, and I set HDMI control to OFF.

I set SIGNAL SEL to HDMI.

However, when I hit RECEIVER and then VIDEO PARAMETER, the only option I get is VIDEO CONV - on or off.

Still no video or sound.
post #3921 of 4546 Old 01-13-2012, 09:12 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the reply.

Reset everything. Connected TV to HDMI OUT. Connected Directv receiver to HDMI 1.

When I select HDMI 1, it displays HDMI 1 and then constantly displays STEREO.

I set HDMI control to OFF.

However, when I hit RECEIVER and then VIDEO PARAMETER, it says "NOT AVAILABLE"

This is a dumb question but it happen to me before lol. The HDMI cable that is coming out of the receiver Let say you connected it at HDMI 1 at your TV, when you turn on the receiver and the TV do you have the TV set To HDMI 1( or what ever HDMI port you connected from the receiver) and the receiver to HDMI 1 as well. Because if you have your your direct receiver connected to the receiver to HDMI 1 and the cable that goes out from the receiver to your TV connected to HDMI 1. When you turn your TV if you press source on your control and it is on another HDMI ( in this case not on 1) the TV will be looking for a source that is not there if you don't have anything else connected to it but you might hear sound because you selected the right HDMI on your receiver.
post #3922 of 4546 Old 01-13-2012, 09:28 PM

yep got that correct.

Strange but it just let me set resolution...but now I can't go back in it again - only can choose V CONV - on or off.
post #3923 of 4546 Old 01-13-2012, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Still no video or sound.

Hi djdego02, with speakers connected are you able to get sound from the tuner?
post #3924 of 4546 Old 01-13-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:

yep got that correct.

Read the troubleshooting in your manual or call pioneer and see if they can help. I don't
Know much hopefully one of the experts in this forum can help you good luck
post #3925 of 4546 Old 01-13-2012, 09:55 PM

Yes I can get it to work if I connect the directv receiver via HDMI directly to the monitor and then use an audio connection from the directv box to the 1020. Audio works great and obviously video is fine too. But I just bought this and want to know if my HDMI out port is broke.

I even tried connecting HDMI out to a different TV and still no audio or video, but when I connect it to the other TV and hit video parameter it does let me set resolution but then resolution is the only setting under video paramater that I can change.
post #3926 of 4546 Old 01-14-2012, 07:13 AM
Advanced Member

Hi djdego02,

If I am correct the link below is the OP Manual for your Panasonic Plasma.
From what I can surmise your plasma did not come with an HDMI Board?
You had to either Install it or have it installed.
Your Plasma is also best set at 1080i or 720P.
Your Plasma is not 1920 X 1080 it is 1366 x 768.
When you are connected from your Direct TV box into your Pioneer and then out to your Panasonic Plasma what settings are you using?

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni...TH-8Series.pdf

This from the Panasonic website:
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...el=TH-50PHD8UK

What is the other HDTV that you tried to connect to the Pioneer?
My VSX 1020 on both HDMI 1 & 2 and the Video Parameters button on my remote, only shows me Resolution: Same as yours.
If you scroll through these choices video will not appear on your Panasonic at all?

Final thought, What is your DirecTV box set at for the Output Resolution?
Try matching the Pioneer to that setting.

Bud B
post #3927 of 4546 Old 01-14-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Hi djdego02,

If I am correct the link below is the OP Manual for your Panasonic Plasma.
From what I can surmise your plasma did not come with an HDMI Board?
You had to either Install it or have it installed.
Your Plasma is also best set at 1080i or 720P.
Your Plasma is not 1920 X 1080 it is 1366 x 768.
When you are connected from your Direct TV box into your Pioneer and then out to your Panasonic Plasma what settings are you using?

ftp://ftp.panasonic.com/pub/Panasoni...TH-8Series.pdf

This from the Panasonic website:
http://www2.panasonic.com/webapp/wcs...el=TH-50PHD8UK

What is the other HDTV that you tried to connect to the Pioneer?
My VSX 1020 on both HDMI 1 & 2 and the Video Parameters button on my remote, only shows me Resolution: Same as yours.
If you scroll through these choices video will not appear on your Panasonic at all?

Final thought, What is your DirecTV box set at for the Output Resolution?
Try matching the Pioneer to that setting.

Bud B

Yes, I installed the HDMI board after I purchased it. I have the Directv receiver outputting at 1080i. My Panasonic doesn't give resolution options or at least I can't find them. I could only get the TV resolution options to come up once with the Panasonic connected - it kept saying not available. After I set it to 1080i once with the Panasonic connected, I tried to get back in to double check and it said not available.

I am going to change the Directv receiver to 720p and check that. I am confused why the 1020 wouldn't at least output audio even if there is a handshake issue with the video between the 1020 and my panasonic tv.

The other TV I have is westinghouse 1080p...but I think I had the directv receiver set to 1080i when I had that connected.

I will give it all a try again. Thank you so much for the advice.
post #3928 of 4546 Old 01-14-2012, 04:54 PM

Liked: 12
I'm using a older Denon AVR-4800 receiver which is hooked up to my Oppo-83 using the analog.

Would buying a new receiver such as this Pioneer and using the HDMI connection be a upgrade or is the Denon far more superior at this price range?

post #3929 of 4546 Old 01-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Advanced Member

Hi djdego02,

Quote:

My Panasonic doesn't give resolution options or at least I can't find them.

Look on page 47 of the Panasonic OP Manual under "Specifications" From the Panasonic Manual below...
Screen Size: 1366 x 768
Scanning Format: 525 (480) / 60i · 60p, 625 (575) / 50i · 50p, 750 (720) / 60p · 50p, 1125 (1080) / 60i · 50i · 24p · 25p
· 30p · 24sF ···· SMPTE274M, 1250 (1080) / 50i

Read this article on 1366 x 768
http://hd1080i.blogspot.com/2006/12/...-problems.html

The Pioneer may be having trouble Converting to 1366 x 768 for your HDTV.
So, let's try something...why don't you try setting the Input to DVD which on my VSX 1020 has a choice to turn V. Conv On or Off. and Resolution.
To do this you can leave your DirecTV box connected via HDMI 2 on the Pioneer, next go to the "Home Menu" and then go to "System Setup" then to "Input Setup"
then scroll across to the "DVD Input" you are going to see near the bottom, Digital In, HDMI Input and Component In, all set to "Off"
Scroll down to the "HDMI Input" and then scroll to the HDMI Input that your DirecTV box is connected to, in your case I think that it is Input 2 but put this on whichever Input it is on.
Now Return out to your TV and select the "DVD Input" on the front display, that should be your DirecTV Box.
Do you see a picture?
You can go to the "Video Parameters" on your remote and see if you have both choices of "Resolution" and "V. Conversion."
Hopefully you do and the V Conv did not leave because you are now using an HDMI Input at the DVD Location.
But if you do, Scroll through all of the Resolutions that are available with both V. Conversion "ON and OFF" and see if you get any Audio and Video.
Go ahead and try setting your DirecTV to 720P and see what that does.

Was there any instructions that came with the HDMI Add-in card that you installed, I think that I saw that there was additional information
concerning your HDTV with the HDMI Add-On
The Pioneer OP Manual states that if the resolutions do not match up, you could have a problem with Video and or Audio.

Do you have any other Inputs being used on the Pioneer besides your DirecTV?
And if so do they work?
When you go to the GUI for the MCACC can you see that on your TV?

Lastly, don't forget about power on sequence, try turning on your Directv box and then your Panasonic and then Turn on your Pioneer etc.
Try different power up's, Pioneer first and the Panasonic, sometimes the sequence matters in the HDMI handshake.
Also unplug your Pioneer and then after a few seconds plug it back in and without turning on the Pioneer, do you see the HDMI Indicator on the front flash.

Does anyone else have a 1366 x 768 HDTV working with their Pioneer?
If so what Inputs and Settings are you using?

Good Luck,

Bud B
post #3930 of 4546 Old 01-15-2012, 09:12 PM

Anyone have any luck with this ap controlling VSX1020K?

Set up-

40" Sony ECO Bravia- HDMI/OPTICAL
PS3 HDMI
Lenovo net top PC- HDMI
VSX1020K- ETHERNET to Lenovo PC, bridged to wireless card to share internet access via WIFI.

POLK 5.1 W/Big ass sub. BOOM!

Ap wont sync with receiver. Getting error code.
Internet radio works....

Vin
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page