post #3991 of 4580 Old 03-03-2012, 09:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGeek View Post

Can the 1120-K adjust zone 2 volume if you're using pre-outs for zone 2? I'm able to adjust the zone 2 volume, but it doesn't seem to do anything. I'm using the CD-R input to the Zone 2 Pre-outs.

I would have thought so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intimdtr77 View Post

Thank you very much. Tonight it happened again and I decided to let it play out. I was alone so I had no one to piss off but the dog, he wasn't amused. After the commercial was over the volume went back to normal level. I guess I have to deal with it?

You can try ALC mode if you're not using it already (press Auto twice). It's supposed to deal with that, but that may mess up some content. I remember having weird results with ALC and stereo streams with Dolby Pro Logic. The surrounds were abnormally loud.

Quote:

Next question, I saw there was a lot mentioned about "Zone 2" I haven't had a chance to read all of it yet, maybe someone could sum it up or just summarize it for me? I wanted to hook up my outside speakers to this box, anything special I need to do or take into consideration? We would mostly be listening to the iPod via the cable provided.

You basically have two options for your outside speakers. You either use Speaker B (which will repeat the stereo content playing on your main setup on a (possibly remote) pair of speakers; or you can use Zone 2, which will play a different *source* on a remote pair of speakers.

One caveat is that HDMI or optical/coax digital sources cannot be sent to Zone 2 (but I think net radio and iPod can).

Another one is that the 1020 has a total of 7 amplifiers (and 9 speaker posts). If you use all 9 speaker posts (say you use a main 7.1 setup and Zone 2), whenever you use Zone 2, your surround backs (or front wides, or front heights) won't be able to play and your main setup will be reverted to 5.1 during that time.

You can also do as MaxGeek above if you have the 1120/1121: preamplified outputs are available for these models and you can then use a small amplifier close to your zone2 speakers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3992 of 4580 Old 03-04-2012, 12:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
oops didn't realize this was the 1020k thread vs 1120k...
post #3993 of 4580 Old 03-04-2012, 07:55 AM

I just finished building new home. I installed 6 rooms with in ceiling speakers (OSD ICE640) attached to volume controls (Monoprice RMS 100W) These run back to my entertainment hub in my living room which has a Pioneer VSX 1020 as the heart. I purchased an OSD ATM-7 speaker switch for the 6 rooms to connect to. I am using zone 2 of the receiver to connect to the OSD ATM-7 speaker switch. I am having problems with the entire setup. Not sure if it is a hardware issue or a setup issue. The speaker switch will turn on and off for a few seconds about once per minute after being on. The issue seems to get better after about 10 minutes. Also only one speaker of each pair will work for the first few minutes after turning on the speaker switch. Today I turned everything on and now the music is staticy. I have no idea what is going on. Tech support at OSD said I should install a separate amplifier in between my receiver and speaker switch. Is this correct? Doesn't my receiver (Pioneer VSX 1020) have an amplifier built in? Is there something else that could be causing my issues? Signed, fustrated
post #3994 of 4580 Old 03-04-2012, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I think he was suggesting that you use another amp/audio source to rule out the receiver. Of course it has an amp, that's why you get sound!

It sounds to me like your wiring is botched up somewhere. Now comes the trouble shooting. I'd guess there is a short somewhere to one of the speakers. You have a lot of places where things could have gone wrong since you have 6 rooms to deal with. If you had an installer do it, call them.

The shutoff problem seems to be a known issue. You should probably post in another forum since it is unlikely to be a 1020 problem.
post #3995 of 4580 Old 03-04-2012, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGeek View Post

oops didn't realize this was the 1020k thread vs 1120k...

One of the worst diplomatic faux-pas in a while in this thread.

post #3996 of 4580 Old 03-04-2012, 07:28 PM

A few questions:
I got 1020k about a year ago when I worked at Best Buy (yes, it was a terrible, terrible experience). I returned a few weeks later because whenever I had something going through HDMI (xbox or blu-ray primarily), the screen would turn this interesting shade of green as it tried to figure out what was going on. The new one did the same thing so I just lived with it.

My question is in regards to it now sporadically shutting down. I have the Klipsch HD Theater 500 sound system, and got Monster cables (worked at Best Buy, mega cheap, so I figured whatever) because that system doesn't come with them. Unfortunately, they were basically too thick for the outlets on the speakers, so it was an interesting experience getting them to fit. Once I did, I ran the MCACC, everything went fine. Every so often, the thing would randomly shut down, but it was pretty rare. Now it happens all the time. At first I thought it was because the volume was too high because big action scenes is when it would shut down. I tried to run the MCACC again, but it would shut down every time I tried to start it. So now, I took out the monster wire for some Amazon 16 gauge wire thinking that maybe the wiring was screwy, but that doesn't fit particularly well in the outlets either (i.e., it keeps slipping out). So my question is twofold: one, does anyone know what could be causing the shutdowns? And two, any recommendations for speaker wire?
post #3997 of 4580 Old 03-04-2012, 07:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

yes, your speaker wire is almost certainly shorting out...

if the 16 gauge is "slipping out", it sounds like you damaged the speaker posts trying to cram the original wire in there...

try banana plugs...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #3998 of 4580 Old 03-04-2012, 08:45 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure that this speaker system can do banana plugs, at least from what I read online.
post #3999 of 4580 Old 03-05-2012, 07:15 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

ah, you meant on the speaker side... nope, bananas won't work with spring clip terminals...

how bad do you want to save these? with a bit of work, you may be able to replace the spring clips...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #4000 of 4580 Old 03-05-2012, 07:47 AM
Advanced Member

Use the banana plugs on the 1020 and connect the speakers as need be, just make sure polarity is correct.
post #4001 of 4580 Old 03-05-2012, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsilvest View Post

Use the banana plugs on the 1020 and connect the speakers as need be, just make sure polarity is correct.

That would do nothing to fix his issue.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #4002 of 4580 Old 03-06-2012, 07:36 AM

Yeah, I guess my issue is try to find wires that will be thicker than the ones I get from Amazon. It's pretty dumb.
post #4003 of 4580 Old 03-06-2012, 02:42 PM

I had random shut downs from new like you described and had to have it repaired. It would seem to do this more often during loud scenes but would give an amp overheat message prior to shut down

The electronics dude claimed it was because of a speaker short but I was real careful about this but perhaps the unit is particularly sensitive - it was covered under warranty so did not investigate further
post #4004 of 4580 Old 03-08-2012, 09:19 PM

Newbie here, I just bought this receiver on Amazon Warehouse, as "Like New". Everything seems to work, but my only problem is I can't get the on-screen GUI to turn on, AT ALL. Can anyone help?
post #4005 of 4580 Old 03-08-2012, 10:44 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutro View Post

I would have thought so...

You can try ALC mode if you're not using it already (press Auto twice). It's supposed to deal with that, but that may mess up some content. I remember having weird results with ALC and stereo streams with Dolby Pro Logic. The surrounds were abnormally loud.

I have not tried it. I panned through some of the other listening modes but found the Stereo mode to be the nicest. When I throw a movie in it switches to PLII and it sounds good. I'll play with this later.

You basically have two options for your outside speakers. You either use Speaker B (which will repeat the stereo content playing on your main setup on a (possibly remote) pair of speakers; or you can use Zone 2, which will play a different *source* on a remote pair of speakers.

One caveat is that HDMI or optical/coax digital sources cannot be sent to Zone 2 (but I think net radio and iPod can).

Another one is that the 1020 has a total of 7 amplifiers (and 9 speaker posts). If you use all 9 speaker posts (say you use a main 7.1 setup and Zone 2), whenever you use Zone 2, your surround backs (or front wides, or front heights) won't be able to play and your main setup will be reverted to 5.1 during that time.

This helps. I was hoping to use Zone 2 with my BDP for Pandora. It's not a biggy, I see us using the iPod more then anything. I saw someone mentioned about an exterior volume switch form Monoprice. I'd like to look into that. I wonder how nice it would play with my receiver?

You can also do as MaxGeek above if you have the 1120/1121: preamplified outputs are available for these models and you can then use a small amplifier close to your zone2 speakers.

Answers above.
post #4006 of 4580 Old 03-09-2012, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoZ4 View Post

Newbie here, I just bought this receiver on Amazon Warehouse, as "Like New". Everything seems to work, but my only problem is I can't get the on-screen GUI to turn on, AT ALL. Can anyone help?

Not sure, it depends on your setup. First -- the GUI is only available on HDMI out. So if you use the analgo video outputs then you won't be able to see the GUI. Second, you have to summon the receiver's menu to see the GUI. Either with the remote (press Receiver then Menu), or by plugging the calibration microphone.

If you're using HDMI out and none of these steps brings the GUI, I don't know what's wrong. A hint: when in the receiver's menu, the receiver's display shows the same menu item as the selected items on the GUI.

Quote:

Answers above.

If you're listening to multi-channel sources (5.1, 7.1, etc) and you select stereo mode, you'll definitely losing a lot from what the stream has to offer, especially in games and movies. Dolby PLII will only offer an emulation of multi-channel sources, not using the dedicated channels (e.g. content that is the same in the left and right stereo channels is sent to the center speaker, etc.). Press "Auto" to automatically switch to Dolby Digital instead.

That beaing said, on TV, there are lots of shows playing in Dolby Digital 5.1 but with very little content on any channel except the center channel. Depending on your tastes and the quality of your front speakers vs center speaker, you may prefer to listen to those shows in stereo instead.

As for Zone 2, using a Pandora-enabled BD player connected to the receiver with HDMI won't work. That is to me one of the biggest drawback of the 1020. Nowadays I only listen to devices plugged using HDMI (e.g. AppleTV, other media players, PS3, laptop) so Zone 2 is basically useless in this case. I haven't tried Speaker B in that situation but that might be acceptable.

If you want volume control at the remote location you basically have two possibilities. I was wrong earlier in that thread: the 1020 indeed has a Zone 2 pre out. So if you use that, you'll need an amplifier at the remote location (on which the speakers will be connected). So you'll have a volume control on that amp. You can also remotely control the 1020 volume itself in three ways:

1) If you have line-of-sight to the receiver you can try the receiver's remote

2) If you don't have line-of-sight you can plug an IR receiver on the 1020 and place it elsewhere. This is typically done when you put the 1020 in a closet for example.

3) You can control the 1020 volume via network. The only built-in way to do that is with the iControlAV iOS app available for iPhones, iPods and iPads. But in fact the 1020 can be controlled by any software -- the communication protocol is pretty simple. I don't know of another software capable of controlling the 1020 but there may be Android or Windows software that can do it.

post #4007 of 4580 Old 03-09-2012, 12:28 PM

Quote:

Not sure, it depends on your setup. First -- the GUI is only available on HDMI out. So if you use the analgo video outputs then you won't be able to see the GUI. Second, you have to summon the receiver's menu to see the GUI. Either with the remote (press Receiver then Menu), or by plugging the calibration microphone.

If you're using HDMI out and none of these steps brings the GUI, I don't know what's wrong. A hint: when in the receiver's menu, the receiver's display shows the same menu item as the selected items on the GUI.

The output to my TV is HDMI, and I have used the calibration microphone a few times now, even plugged in my iPod but no GUI turns on on the receiver. Only GUI I get is the one on my TV-screen.
post #4008 of 4580 Old 03-09-2012, 12:37 PM

This GUI does not turn on.

Attachment 239909
LL
post #4009 of 4580 Old 03-09-2012, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The output to my TV is HDMI, and I have used the calibration microphone a few times now, even plugged in my iPod but no GUI turns on on the receiver. Only GUI I get is the one on my TV-screen.

I'm sorry I can't help you more. If you are desperate for that GUI, maybe you could try resetting the rceiver (see p.75 of the manual). Also... well are you absolutely sure you have a 1020? For example on the 820 there's a GUI but only on analog video outputs.

post #4010 of 4580 Old 03-09-2012, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Attachment 239909

What? I mean I don't think I understand what you're trying to say with this picture. However I see that you *do* have a 1020.

post #4011 of 4580 Old 03-09-2012, 08:51 PM

Hey there, apologies if this has been answered before, I couldn't read through 130 pages and nothing came up in a search.

I just hooked up my Pioneer and have been playing around with the Internet Radio. It's all working and I've changed a few of the stock stations with new ones via the computer interface. All good there. The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to be able to change the stations with the remote. I can change them on the deck itself by pressing the left preset button which brings up the station list, and then tune up or down to select another station, but I can't do anything with the remote. None of the arrow buttons work, and I can't get to the "top menu". The top menu button just keeps cycling through audio parameters. Pressing the "Shift" button doesn't go to "Top menu" either.

Anyone know what's happening?

Cheers
post #4012 of 4580 Old 03-10-2012, 04:52 AM

I had noticed that I had to press HMG on the remote before being able to control the HMG.
post #4013 of 4580 Old 03-10-2012, 01:53 PM

Don't know what you mean by HMG, but figured out the problem. They gave me the wrong remote. Didn't have the NetRadio functions. on it.

All sorted now. And they even gave me a free Logitech Harmony remote because of the mix up.
post #4014 of 4580 Old 03-10-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:

Attachment 239909

Sorry DoZ4 -- I missed that earlier part. Your problem is just a misunderstanding there's nothing supposed to show up where the arrow is. The GUI is only on the TV screen (and a abridged version of the selected items appear on the receiver's display).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajck44 View Post

Don't know what you mean by HMG, but figured out the problem. They gave me the wrong remote. Didn't have the NetRadio functions. on it.

All sorted now. And they even gave me a free Logitech Harmony remote because of the mix up.

Well I'm not sure who "they" are but that's a great way to make amend. Harmony remotes are pretty useful in home theaters and while I have harsh critics towards some aspects of it, it's pretty much the best available IMHO.

post #4015 of 4580 Old 03-11-2012, 12:17 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:

If you're listening to multi-channel sources (5.1, 7.1, etc) and you select stereo mode, you'll definitely losing a lot from what the stream has to offer, especially in games and movies. Dolby PLII will only offer an emulation of multi-channel sources, not using the dedicated channels (e.g. content that is the same in the left and right stereo channels is sent to the center speaker, etc.). Press "Auto" to automatically switch to Dolby Digital instead.

That beaing said, on TV, there are lots of shows playing in Dolby Digital 5.1 but with very little content on any channel except the center channel. Depending on your tastes and the quality of your front speakers vs center speaker, you may prefer to listen to those shows in stereo instead.

As for Zone 2, using a Pandora-enabled BD player connected to the receiver with HDMI won't work. That is to me one of the biggest drawback of the 1020. Nowadays I only listen to devices plugged using HDMI (e.g. AppleTV, other media players, PS3, laptop) so Zone 2 is basically useless in this case. I haven't tried Speaker B in that situation but that might be acceptable.

If you want volume control at the remote location you basically have two possibilities. I was wrong earlier in that thread: the 1020 indeed has a Zone 2 pre out. So if you use that, you'll need an amplifier at the remote location (on which the speakers will be connected). So you'll have a volume control on that amp. You can also remotely control the 1020 volume itself in three ways:

1) If you have line-of-sight to the receiver you can try the receiver's remote

2) If you don't have line-of-sight you can plug an IR receiver on the 1020 and place it elsewhere. This is typically done when you put the 1020 in a closet for example.

3) You can control the 1020 volume via network. The only built-in way to do that is with the iControlAV iOS app available for iPhones, iPods and iPads. But in fact the 1020 can be controlled by any software -- the communication protocol is pretty simple. I don't know of another software capable of controlling the 1020 but there may be Android or Windows software that can do it.

The listening modes yo mention makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. I'll make sure it is on Auto.

Now, for the remote sound control. I don't/won't have a line of sight, so maybe a IR would work. I do have an 880 remote (which I love). I planned on leaving it inside though. I was looking for something easy for volume control, I don't want to worry about leaving the remote outside in the snow while we are hot tubbing. I'll have to search around ro expand on this subject more.

Off topic, we just purchased a Spa and the radio it has as an option that we heard sounded SICK! I didn't get to much into it's technical info, but it was a JBL setup with multiple small speakers and a built in sub. We were in a HUGE event center for a home show. It filled the area we were listening to with nice bass. A lot of people commented on how nice it sounded. No walls with in sight, just wide open area and thumping bass from Bob Marley! It was an additional 1K for the setup. I was hoping to replicate it for less.
post #4016 of 4580 Old 03-11-2012, 12:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Now, for the remote sound control. I don't/won't have a line of sight, so maybe a IR would work. I do have an 880 remote (which I love). I planned on leaving it inside though. I was looking for something easy for volume control, I don't want to worry about leaving the remote outside in the snow while we are hot tubbing. I'll have to search around ro expand on this subject more.

An IR receiver will have the drawback of having to be wired all the way to the back of the 1020. And you'll have to purchase a second universal remote for outside use. If you use the Zone 2 pre outs, of course you'll have to have wire up to the amp but then this amp may have a remote control of its own. Still, the easiest way if you have an iOS device is to use the 1020 network controls. (However you may want to keep your iPhone out of the spa).

Quote:

Off topic, we just purchased a Spa and the radio it has as an option that we heard sounded SICK! I didn't get to much into it's technical info, but it was a JBL setup with multiple small speakers and a built in sub. We were in a HUGE event center for a home show. It filled the area we were listening to with nice bass. A lot of people commented on how nice it sounded. No walls with in sight, just wide open area and thumping bass from Bob Marley! It was an additional 1K for the setup. I was hoping to replicate it for less.

I know nothing about spas and even less about their sound systems but I guess the sub uses the spa itself as an enclosure. Anyway I'm not sure what your options would be if you want to use a subwoofer outside. Maybe buy a standard sub and place it close to your patio door?

Also I'm not sure I would be happy if my neighboors used a subwoofer outside :P

post #4017 of 4580 Old 03-16-2012, 08:46 PM

I was a week away from having the receiver for 2 years when all the HDMI ports gave out. No video or sound from the HDMI inputs. The HDMI light on the front of the receiver would not come on. After resetting it back to factory default the unit started to freeze and turn off. Sound would come through from all the other channels except any associated with HDMI. Called Geek squad and they are going to have to send it off to try to get fixed. luckily i had the protection that none of this is going to cost me a thing. If they can't get it to work i am switching to a Yamaha or Denon.
post #4018 of 4580 Old 03-17-2012, 12:26 PM
AVS Special Member

That sucks. Keep us posted -- I only have the 1020 for like 7-8 months but it seems lots of people have trouble with the HDMI chip after 1-2 years.

post #4019 of 4580 Old 03-17-2012, 04:56 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

i wonder how many of those with croaking hdmi boards have the appropriate amount of clearance for their avr? judging by a lot of pictures i see posted, many people are courting disaster...

- chris

post #4020 of 4580 Old 03-20-2012, 06:58 PM

Well BB shipped my receiver on the 19th. The center received it at 930 am on the 20th and by 11am the email went out that there was an approval for an exchange. I went to the store and they gave me the price of the receiver and the amount left for the black tie protection on a BB gift card. The total equaled the purchase price for the Denon I left the store with. I loved the look and features the 1020 but based on my experience i was hesitant on getting the 1021. Plus the new line will be out in about a month. There was no clear explanation on what was wrong with the 1020 i turned in other than it was not repairable.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors