The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1020-K Owner's Thread - Page 154 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #4591 of 4605 Old 04-05-2015, 08:44 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Buda View Post
Anyone who can, please help.

My VSX-1021 has worked fine since I got it in 2011. A few days ago, after I switched off and on again, it failed to produce audio. All of the various features still work fine (video, source switching, network, iPad app, etc,). I was able to perform a normal system reset (Enter button and Standby/On button press). I tried to flash the latest system update, however, it fails at 20% complete, displaying the message: "Update Error 1".

I emailed Pioneer support. 'Rocky' gave me a few cursory check steps and the advice that the unit needs to go to a qualified service center, for which he provided the nearest locations. Having called them both, I learned that this problem is common with this model, and they expect the part to cost $260 + approximately $95 labor. (In excess of the cost to replace it)

Does anyone have experience with this issue? I believe I could replace the part myself, if I could find out which circuit board needs replacement. I hate to trash the unit, when it otherwise works fine.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
I had a similar problem. The sound stopped working, but the video functioned normally. I found a similar problem (Post # 4189, Page 140 of this forum) regarding using the headphone jack. So I found an old 1/4 headphone jack and plugged in a pair of headphones. My missing sound was being directed to the headphone jack. Once I unplugged the headphones, the receiver functioned normally. Hopefully this will help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4592 of 4605 Old 04-10-2015, 03:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm just curious... I have a Fire TV Stick plugged into to the front HDMI of my Pioneer. I was impressed to discover my IPad and IPhone Fire TV App had a single touch command that switched my 1020 to the correct input for the Fire TV. Now I realize that's done with and IP command, since all the devices involved are own my network, and that HDMI CEC may not me involved (not sure). I'm wondering if theres anyway to replicate that command using the Pioneer remote?
post #4593 of 4605 Old 04-17-2015, 11:50 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Okay. I am having a problem with my VSX-1020 as it relates to the right/front speaker channel. The other day after powering up, I realized there was no sound coming from the right speaker. I pulled the receiver out to the check the speaker connections and afterwards it began to work. I assumed at that point it must be a short in the speaker wiring.

However, a few days later, the channel was once again out after powering up. I soon began to realize that simply "moving" or even "bumping" the receiver would cause the channel to start working, although to varying degrees of volume. Sometimes I can "bump" it to get the channel to come on, though not at full volume, and then bump it a couple of more times to get to full volume.

Anyone have any theories as to what has happened to my receiver, or what it might take to have it repaired? It is long since out of warranty...

Many thanks...
post #4594 of 4605 Old 04-18-2015, 05:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Have you replaced the wire?
post #4595 of 4605 Old 04-18-2015, 07:43 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Have you replaced the wire?
Yes indeed...
post #4596 of 4605 Old 04-18-2015, 08:04 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Dan View Post
Okay. I am having a problem with my VSX-1020 as it relates to the right/front speaker channel. The other day after powering up, I realized there was no sound coming from the right speaker. I pulled the receiver out to the check the speaker connections and afterwards it began to work. I assumed at that point it must be a short in the speaker wiring.

However, a few days later, the channel was once again out after powering up. I soon began to realize that simply "moving" or even "bumping" the receiver would cause the channel to start working, although to varying degrees of volume. Sometimes I can "bump" it to get the channel to come on, though not at full volume, and then bump it a couple of more times to get to full volume.

Anyone have any theories as to what has happened to my receiver, or what it might take to have it repaired? It is long since out of warranty...

Many thanks...
There are relays on every channel, it's the last step for the signal before it gets to the speaker outputs. Since they're electromechanical (they're the loud things you hear clicking) it makes sense that bumping the receiver could make it start working.

I had a bad one on a 1020 I bought for parts. Luckily there's one for every channel, so if you aren't using any channels (like surround backs) you could swap the relay from that and avoid having to buy one.
Or, if it's possible to assign the right-front output to a different connector (bi-wiring/bi-amping?) that would be a workaround.
post #4597 of 4605 Old 04-29-2015, 09:23 PM

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I have a question about this receiver , maybe someone can help. Is it possible to have custom mcacc settings for different source imputs , such as HDMI 1, 2, 3?
post #4598 of 4605 Old 04-30-2015, 07:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Just curious, why would you want that?
post #4599 of 4605 Old 04-30-2015, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Just curious, why would you want that?
Well I am having a difficult time trying to tune in the music streaming service Rdio via HDMI and a PC. I can't get it to sound very good. The MCACC settings I use for my Roku and Directv DVR are fine. But streaming music sounds a bit muffled, using the same MCACC settings.I was using a PS3 with their music service "Music Unlimited", and It was sounding very good,but the service was discontinued. So now I am back to finding a good solution. I am wondering if a DAC would help.
post #4600 of 4605 Old 05-01-2015, 06:27 AM
AVS Special Member

How does it sound using headphones? Maybe it's just a low bitrate stream. I know Pandora free is low quality, not sure about rdio.
post #4601 of 4605 Old 05-01-2015, 09:55 AM

Quote:
How does it sound using headphones? Maybe it's just a low bitrate stream. I know Pandora free is low quality, not sure about rdio.
I set it to 320 (high quality) on my PC. I was using HP Stream Mini with eithernet ,that I just got using HDMI . I don't think it will work very well, so I intend to send it back. I am having better results streaming with a Chromecast, and optimizing my 1020's EQ for that input. I might have to try buying a PC with a better soundcard or maybe use a DAC in addition. Or possibly buy a Sonos connect. Rdio support told me the Chromecast Rdio app streams at whatever quality setting is on my casting PC.
So if each input on my 1020 can't have a custom EQ I may be able to switch things automatically with my Harmony remote as a work around.
post #4602 of 4605 Old 05-20-2015, 01:48 PM

I was using a V90 Dac today streaming Beats Music on a Apple 3 via optical ,and I noticed the Sound Retriever "Over" light would come on every so often. Everything sounder pretty good. Any problems I should be aware of?

Last edited by Steelman99; 05-21-2015 at 12:50 PM.
post #4603 of 4605 Old 05-23-2015, 01:35 PM

Bump
post #4604 of 4605 Old 06-10-2015, 11:37 AM

I just switch from 5.1 to a soundbar. New kid, wires, dog, etc. Whatever. Anyway, I have everything working fine except for audio-only sources: radio and optical-in. I have HDMI Through enabled, but I can't figure out why those sources won't pass through.

Any thoughts?
post #4605 of 4605 Unread Today, 11:56 AM

I'm trying to get a fuller sound where the entire room seems involved, not just the front. I thought I'd try the Panorama setting, but when I scroll through the Audio Parameter settings, a number of the options mentioned in the owners manual aren't there, including Panorama. Others are Dimension, C. Image, Effect, H. Gain and V.SB.

Does anyone know why I'm missing those options?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page