The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1020-K Owner's Thread - Page 155 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #4621 of 4644 Old 01-16-2016, 12:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
power off/on

I have had the vxs 1020k for about 5 years, its running a polk surroundbar, psw-111 sub, fire stick and a comcast box, I have had zero issues, then about a week ago the sub started making random light thumping noises, and now the receiver is being picky when it decides to work. For example i power it on and it cycles into hdmi 1 as it is supposed to but then turns off or never manages to connect the tv with the cable. So basically it powers on and off by itself now and has rendered the family room TV disabled. Any suggestions on the first thing to do to trouble shoot the problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4622 of 4644 Old 01-16-2016, 12:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
First thing I'd try is to run the speaker check routine,making sure there's no cross wiring. Also check for crimps everywhere, in case it's overheating. I thing I got error messages on the Led when mine overheated, or there were red or orange lights. I've also had my subwoofer blow, but that sounded like world war 3 in a thunderstorm when it happened. Maybe try disconnecting just the sub???
johnlaw12002 likes this.
post #4623 of 4644 Old 01-17-2016, 05:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Ok, looks like my trusty Pioneer VSX1020 has died or something has gone wrong. Last night towards end of the Arizona game I heard a pop and lost all audio regardless of input. I switched all inputs and I get video but, no audio. Turned the receiver off and I usually get 2 click sounds within seconds of each other as it powers off. I no longer hear that. I unplugged the receiver and left it unplugged all night but this morning when i plugged it back on, I get one click sound when I hit the power button but not the second click sound. I get video through any of the inputs but, no sound. I can see in the received display that sound is coming in. I went to back of the receiver and all cables are nice and tight.

I love this receiver but need to know if it is done after 5 years, probably not worth repairing, or should I get the replacement model for this receiver. What is the current replacement model for this reciever and does it have Dolby Atmos decoder, 3d pass through and 4k pass through?

Thanks for any assistance anyone can provide.

Ian B
post #4624 of 4644 Old 01-17-2016, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Personally I like Yamaha or Denon better. They only have one app rather than having to pick the app for your model year. The remotes are better too. On top of that, Pioneer is owned by Onkyo now and I had a bad experience with them. I still have the Pioneer in the bedroom but have since had a Yamaha and Denon in the home theater. You'll have to pay a lot to get atmos 9 channel. There isn't much content and I get most of my discs from Netflix and I doubt I'll see an atmos disc this year.
post #4625 of 4644 Old 01-17-2016, 06:33 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Personally I like Yamaha or Denon better. They only have one app rather than having to pick the app for your model year. The remotes are better too. On top of that, Pioneer is owned by Onkyo now and I had a bad experience with them. I still have the Pioneer in the bedroom but have since had a Yamaha and Denon in the home theater. You'll have to pay a lot to get atmos 9 channel. There isn't much content and I get most of my discs from Netflix and I doubt I'll see an atmos disc this year.
Great info. Will pass on the Dolby Atmos for now and see what Yamaha and Denon have to offer. Will report back whatever I end up buying.

Ian B
post #4626 of 4644 Old 01-17-2016, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post
Great info. Will pass on the Dolby Atmos for now and see what Yamaha and Denon have to offer. Will report back whatever I end up buying.

Ian B
And sorry about the receiver!
post #4627 of 4644 Old 01-17-2016, 09:09 AM
Advanced Member

Ok, after researching I have it narrowed down to these 5 but the Yamaha would have to be ordered. The Denon models have the same price but one has higher total wattage.

PIONEER VSX-1130K $399.99

YAMAHA V579BL $499.95(NEEDS TO BE ORDERED)

DENON AVR-S910W $479.99

DENON AVR-S710W $479.99

SONY STRDN860 $449.99, INCLUDES A FREE 3D BLU RAY PLAYER MODEL Sony - BDPS6500

Ian B
post #4628 of 4644 Old 01-19-2016, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Thanks for keeping us informed about what new AVR you select and why. We're all bound to be past 1020k owners in the coming months or years, so your perspective is helpful.
post #4629 of 4644 Old 01-19-2016, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Check out accessories4less if you can stomach refurbs. I got a deal on the Denon x2100 before Christmas, currently $349. It has a lot more features than the Pioneer and appeared brand new.
post #4630 of 4644 Old 01-26-2016, 01:03 PM

Anyone using an IR sensor to control their receiver? I purchased and tried the following cable but it does not seem to work. Do I need something else?

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B005E2XLNM/ref=mp_s_a_1_11?qid=1453838480&sr=8-11&pi=AC_SX110_SY165_QL70&keywords=ir+repeater
post #4631 of 4644 Old 01-31-2016, 05:45 PM

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ian B View Post
Ok, after researching I have it narrowed down to these 5 but the Yamaha would have to be ordered. The Denon models have the same price but one has higher total wattage.

PIONEER VSX-1130K $399.99

YAMAHA V579BL $499.95(NEEDS TO BE ORDERED)

DENON AVR-S910W $479.99

DENON AVR-S710W $479.99

SONY STRDN860 $449.99, INCLUDES A FREE 3D BLU RAY PLAYER MODEL Sony - BDPS6500

Ian B
I just upgraded from the VSX 1020 to a Pioneer Elite SC-81 with Class D amps, and Saber DAC. It was a huge improvement over the 1020.
Amazon has it new from an authorized dealer for less than $500.00...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o07_s00

Samsung UN55H6350 LED TV, Pioneer SC-81 AV Receiver, Polk RTi8 Mains, Polk CSi3 Center, SVS PB1000 Subwoofer, Apple TV3, 2015 Roku3 ,Sonos Connect
post #4632 of 4644 Old 02-05-2016, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Smart Hub apps and HT sound

I could really use some help.
I recently purchased a Samsung Smart TV and I don't know how to set it up so that the Smart Hub apps play through my HT system. Right now the regular TV broadcast is through HT, but once I switch to the apps, everything is independent of the receiver. If I turn the receiver off, I still get video and TV sound.
From what I've read, I need an optical cable running from the TV to the receiver, which I do have. My suspicion is that I just don't have the correct receiver settings to make use of the optical cable connection. I know that the optical in ports are "assignable," but I don't know what that means.
Thanks!
post #4633 of 4644 Old 02-07-2016, 06:34 AM
AVS Special Member

As I recall, this receiver doesn't have audio return channel via hdmi. That sounds like what you are trying to do.

I can't remember exactly how you do it, but you can pick hdmi, optical or analog input for each hdmi input. I think you do it on the receiver, not sure if it can be done from the remote.
Bails52 likes this.
post #4634 of 4644 Old 02-07-2016, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bails52 View Post
My suspicion is that I just don't have the correct receiver settings to make use of the optical cable connection. I know that the optical in ports are "assignable," but I don't know what that means.
Thanks!
Hi Bails52, whichever optical port its plugged into either OPT 1 or OPT2 on the VSX-1020, on the remote press Signal Sel button and set it to Digital.
Bails52 likes this.
post #4635 of 4644 Old 02-08-2016, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Hi Bails52, whichever optical port its plugged into either OPT 1 or OPT2 on the VSX-1020, on the remote press Signal Sel button and set it to Digital.
Thanks so much for your help! I currently have an optical cable running from the TV to OPT 1. The DVR is connected to OPT 2. I still have the situation where the Smart Hub apps are completely independent of the receiver. Both video and audio. Video runs even if I have the receiver turned off, and audio only comes through the TV speakers. BTW, when I switch to the apps, the TV broadcast continues to play in the background unless I pause it. I attached a shot of that setting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2198.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	1238457  
post #4636 of 4644 Old 02-08-2016, 04:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked: 288
Quote:
Thanks so much for your help! I currently have an optical cable running from the TV to OPT 1. The DVR is connected to OPT 2. I still have the situation where the Smart Hub apps are completely independent of the receiver. Both video and audio. Video runs even if I have the receiver turned off, and audio only comes through the TV speakers. BTW, when I switch to the apps, the TV broadcast continues to play in the background unless I pause it. I attached a shot of that setting.
Do you have your TV configured to output sound to an external audio system?

For example, on my Sony it's:

* Home>Settings>Sound>Speakers. Set to Audio System

There is also a digital out setting on the Sony that can affect output of digital audio from the TV

* Home>Settings>Sound>Digital Audio Out

I would expect there are similar settings (at least the first one) on your TV that will need to be enabled for optical out to work.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. FAQ is frequently (often daily!) updated, check back often! || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.

Last edited by Danabw; 02-08-2016 at 04:37 PM.
post #4637 of 4644 Old 02-08-2016, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
Do you have your TV configured to output sound to an external audio system?

For example, on my Sony it's:

* Home>Settings>Sound>Speakers. Set to Audio System

There is also a digital out setting on the Sony that can affect output of digital audio from the TV

* Home>Settings>Sound>Digital Audio Out

I would expect there are similar settings (at least the first one) on your TV that will need to be enabled for optical out to work.
Yes. It is configured to output through an optical cable. That setting works fine when I'm playing the TV, but not when I switch to the smart hub apps. Here are a couple of shots. The news reporter is on TV/cable, the other is the YouTube app. Both have the same sound setting. But no sound for apps unless I switch over to TV speakers. There's a little equalizer looking icon that moves up and down for both the TV and the apps, even though the apps aren't playing anything.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_2199.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	1239337   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_2200.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	1239345  
post #4638 of 4644 Old 02-08-2016, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes. It is configured to output through an optical cable. That setting works fine when I'm playing the TV, but not when I switch to the smart hub apps.
Curious, how are you getting to that menu?
post #4639 of 4644 Old 02-08-2016, 11:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Yes. It is configured to output through an optical cable. That setting works fine when I'm playing the TV, but not when I switch to the smart hub apps. Here are a couple of shots. The news reporter is on TV/cable, the other is the YouTube app. Both have the same sound setting. But no sound for apps unless I switch over to TV speakers. There's a little equalizer looking icon that moves up and down for both the TV and the apps, even though the apps aren't playing anything.
How do you get your TV signal? OTA direct to the TV tuner?

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. FAQ is frequently (often daily!) updated, check back often! || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
post #4640 of 4644 Old 02-10-2016, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post
Curious, how are you getting to that menu?
If you're talking about the menu I posted with two photos, that's a menu on the Samsung remote. It's just the sound options.
post #4641 of 4644 Old 02-10-2016, 12:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
If you're talking about the menu I posted with two photos, that's a menu on the Samsung remote. It's just the sound options.
I was surprised that you said that the menu you posted was menu from your Samsung TV. I haven't used any of the Pioneer on-screen menus in so long that I thought it was a on-screen menu from the receiver that I didn't remember.

HDMI ports on TVs don't (at least as far as I've seen) offer a separate digital audio-in connection option, since HDMI cables carry both audio and video. The separate "Digital In" option in that menu would be relevant if you were using a Component connection, but should be irrelevant for an HDMI connection. I'd set that to "Off" rather than OPT-1 just in case that is causing some issues.

Can you confirm:

1. Does the TV have two optical ports? The fact that the Digital In setting in that menu is set to "OPT-1" seems to imply that there may be an "OPT-2" port. Is that correct? Do you see two of the square optical audio ports on the back of your TV labeled "Digital Audio Out" or "Optical Audio Out", and can you access the two Optical ports in your TV's audio settings menus?

2. You've said audio plays fine via your receiver when you are "playing the TV." When you say that, are you referring to playing content from your DVR (live TV or recorded shows)? Or are you referring to using the internal tuner in the TV to play Over-the-Air TV signals?

3. Can you take a look at below and confirm how your devices are connected to your TV and to each other?

Update below to match your setup...

DVR:
- HDMI cable to TV (HDMI input #?)
- Optical cable to Optical 2 on the receiver

Receiver:
- Optical cable from Optical 1 on receiver to Optical 1 on TV

Any other devices/connections?

I'm pretty sure we can solve this, we're just missing some of the information needed to work it out.

post #4642 of 4644 Old Today, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
I was surprised that you said that the menu you posted was menu from your Samsung TV. I haven't used any of the Pioneer on-screen menus in so long that I thought it was a on-screen menu from the receiver that I didn't remember.

HDMI ports on TVs don't (at least as far as I've seen) offer a separate digital audio-in connection option, since HDMI cables carry both audio and video. The separate "Digital In" option in that menu would be relevant if you were using a Component connection, but should be irrelevant for an HDMI connection. I'd set that to "Off" rather than OPT-1 just in case that is causing some issues.

Can you confirm:

1. Does the TV have two optical ports? The fact that the Digital In setting in that menu is set to "OPT-1" seems to imply that there may be an "OPT-2" port. Is that correct? Do you see two of the square optical audio ports on the back of your TV labeled "Digital Audio Out" or "Optical Audio Out", and can you access the two Optical ports in your TV's audio settings menus?

2. You've said audio plays fine via your receiver when you are "playing the TV." When you say that, are you referring to playing content from your DVR (live TV or recorded shows)? Or are you referring to using the internal tuner in the TV to play Over-the-Air TV signals?

3. Can you take a look at below and confirm how your devices are connected to your TV and to each other?

Update below to match your setup...

DVR:

Receiver:

Any other devices/connections?

I'm pretty sure we can solve this, we're just missing some of the information needed to work it out.
Dan, thanks for your help with this. Sorry for the slow delay….got bogged down in work.

I think we are talking about two different menus. I had posted one menu from the Samsung TV and a couple from the Pioneer 1020.

To answer your questions:
1. the TV has one optical port.
2. when I talk about the TV playing fine through the home theater system, I mean actual broadcast TV from the set-top box.
DVR:
- HDMI cable to TV (HDMI input #3)

Receiver:
- HDMI cable to TV (HDMI input #OUT)

I also have a Blu-ray connected to HDMI #4 , Sonos connect plugged into TV/SAT IN (RCA plugs for now) and an Apple TV connected to HDMI #2.

Again, here's the problem I'm having. When I switch to the Smart Hub and select any of the apps, the only way I can get any sound is to switch to the TV speakers. Actually, what's happening is the TV is independent of the receiver when it goes to Smart Hub. I can actually turn the receiver off and it makes no difference (and the regular broadcast TV audio continues in the background. I have to pause it or mute it). What I would like would be to play the apps through the home theater system; not having the cable audio running at the same time would be nice, too. :-)

I have attached the rear panel diagram.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	screenshot_2236.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	166.0 KB
ID:	1250353  
post #4643 of 4644 Old Today, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks, that helps, but brings up more questions.

First, why do you have the DVR connected to the receiver via HDMI and optical? That's redundant.

Unless you have some special issue or problem with your DVR, remove the optical connection from the DVR to the receiver, it's not needed. The HDMI cable will take care of transmitting both sound and video from the DVR to the receiver. Check the Sound setting on the DVR and make sure it's set to output sound via HDMI and not optical.

Second, why aren't you connected all of your devices to the receiver? That can be the simplest and easiest setup. Are you connecting some of your devices to the TV to make use of HDMI-CEC?

If you're not using HDMI-CEC, then you can disconnect them from your TV and reconnect them to the receiver's HDMI/RCA inputs. I'd put the Sonos on the receiver's CD RCA inputs, unless it has a on-screen menu or display, in which case I'd use the Video In RCA inputs. Blu Ray to the BD input.

Connect the optical audio cable from the TV/Sat in optical port on the receiver to the Optical audio out port on the TV.

Then you'll have one HDMI cable from the receiver HDMI out to the TV (doesn't matter which port), and one optical cable from the TV optical out to the receiver TV/Sat optical in port.

This is the most important part...check your audio out settings on your TV/Smart Hub apps and make sure they are set to output sound via Optical out/external audio system. FWIW, on my TV, you have to access and set Sound and Picture settings after you have set the input or opened the app you want to set them for. It may be the same on your TV. There could be general settings for sound output and another set of settings for Smart Hub apps.

Then follow the direction that was shared with you earlier on this thread about which button to press on the remote to tell the receiver to get audio from its optical audio in port when you are using apps.

I believe that should do it.

If you have a good reason why you are connecting devices directly to the TV (e.g., using HDMI-CEC) and don't want to change that, then just remove the audio cable from the DVR to the receiver, check audio settings on the DVR to make sure it's outputting sound via HDMI, and check TV audio settings as covered above.

Then if you hear sound from everything else from your home theater, and only get sound from your TV when using Smart Hub apps, then it seems like it must be a setting on your TV that it causing the issue.

Have you asked about this in the Samsung TV thread...seems like they'd be the most help.

post #4644 of 4644 Old Today, 10:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Maybe the newer Samsung is slightly different. But I remember selecting the app (Netflix) first then opening the AnyNet+ menu which gave another option for audio (like home theater or receiver and TV speaker). Your two photos only show two option, TV speaker and Bluetooth audio.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors