The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1020-K Owner's Thread - Page 157 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #4681 of 4689 Old 12-01-2016, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 776 Post(s)
Liked: 370
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
I have a harmony hub and you can do things like that with it, but not automatically.
Thanks, I have a hub on order, hoping I can integrate with Smartthings hub I have and Alexa Google Home and automate!

How do you use your hub?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. FAQ is frequently (often daily!) updated, check back often! || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4682 of 4689 Old 12-01-2016, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
Thanks, I have a hub on order, hoping I can integrate with Smartthings hub I have and Alexa Google Home and automate!

How do you use your hub?
Well not very much at the moment. Harmony is doing some strange things with the activities I set up. All of my devices have ip, so I don't need the blaster. If I do turn on tv, it does that pretty well, the TV goes on, the receiver on and switches over to the tivo.

If I press listen to music, it turns on the receiver, switches to internet radio and for some odd reason turns on the projector. CEC is off.

Watch a movie works properly.

Another nuisance is that the power off keeps putting the tivo to sleep even though I told it not to. I split the tivo to go to other tvs.

Echo/Dot commands are difficult to remember, but the other day I was talking to my wife about tea and Dot said OK and the tv turned on.

So hit and miss, I figure things will eventually get better.

Harmony still seems blissfully ignorant of state...
ItzMe and Danabw like this.
post #4683 of 4689 Old Yesterday, 09:59 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Santa has a hub waiting for me, but after reading all this I may send it back to the North Pole.

I really want to use Alexa when I'm watching tv from my adjacent kitchen, usually cooking. I really want to use Alexa to adjust AVR volume, mute, pause my Directv tv, skip tv, things like that when my hands aren't free.
post #4684 of 4689 Old Yesterday, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfirejoe View Post
I ordered resistors from Parts Express (couldn't get an exact match to 306 ohms, so got a 300 and a 6.2) I cut the wires to the posistor and wired up the replacement resistors in series.
Final update on the above - my combination of resistors gave the unit a signal of 306.2 ohms, which I knew was too high a reading. I just figured it was "close enough". Nope - multiple failures.

I cut out the 6.2 resistor and tried again. I've now been running the VSX-1020 for quite a few hours now with no subsequent failures. When the wife isn't home, I'll pump up the volume quite a bit and let it run for hours. No issues. I'm afraid to play the thing while no one is home since I've effectively removed the overheat safety switch.

I've just purchased a Pioneer SC-1222-K from a local gentleman. This beast has the Class D amps that are rated to run my 4 ohm Infinity Qb speakers, and has a few other toys for me to play with. The 1020 is coming out of the system, and I have to decide if I can give it to someone else and let them play with it. It certainly wouldn't feel right to sell it to anyone with the bastard modification I did.

Thanks for all the sharing of info on the 1020. I really appreciated everyone's input.

Joe Guinan
Fremont, Nebraska
post #4685 of 4689 Old Yesterday, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post
Well not very much at the moment. Harmony is doing some strange things with the activities I set up. All of my devices have ip, so I don't need the blaster. If I do turn on tv, it does that pretty well, the TV goes on, the receiver on and switches over to the tivo.

If I press listen to music, it turns on the receiver, switches to internet radio and for some odd reason turns on the projector. CEC is off.

Watch a movie works properly.

Another nuisance is that the power off keeps putting the tivo to sleep even though I told it not to. I split the tivo to go to other tvs.

Echo/Dot commands are difficult to remember, but the other day I was talking to my wife about tea and Dot said OK and the tv turned on.

So hit and miss, I figure things will eventually get better.

Harmony still seems blissfully ignorant of state...
My harmony remote/hub has arrived and things are all working pretty much perfectly. I've had almost no issues, the normal tweaks to activities after getting them imported from my current harmony 700 remote setup.

Integration with both Alexa and Google Home works great, and I can use IFTTT to customize the commands and the responses of Google Home (for both the Harmony as well as any other actions I do with my smart home).

I have one of the newer Sony Android TVs, and there's a Harmony app on the TV that allows me to integrate my Harmony Activities into the Action menu on the TV.

Loving it so far.

2015 Sony X850C FAQ: Recommended Picture settings, 3D FAQ, HDR FAQ, DirecTV 4K Ready FAQ, Troubleshooting & common problems; Dropbox Link || Alternate Google Drive FAQ Link. FAQ is frequently (often daily!) updated, check back often! || My gear: TV - Sony XBR75X850C, BD - Sony BDP S350, AVR - Pioneer VSX-1020, Speakers - RBH MC-616C MKII Center Channel, RBH MC-6C MKII Bookshelf (fronts), RBH MC-615 In-ceiling surrounds, RBH TS-10AP 200W self-powered sub.
post #4686 of 4689 Old Yesterday, 11:08 AM
Advanced Member

danadw, Can you point me to a list of commands you can use IFTTT to customize?
post #4687 of 4689 Old Yesterday, 03:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post
danadw, Can you point me to a list of commands you can use IFTTT to customize?
I created my own applets on the IFTTT site. On the IFTTT site you connect IFTTT to your Google Home, then create an applet that sets up the if/then, linking your desired command to the Google Home command (e.g., i connected the phrase "Let's watch drama!" to the commands that starts my Roku activity).

You need a hub (I use the Samsung Smartthings hub) to link the Harmony commands to your Google Home.

That help?

post #4688 of 4689 Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM
Advanced Member

It helps enough to know what to Google, thanks. I''ll explore IFTTT and the Logitech hub with Echo.
post #4689 of 4689 Old Today, 09:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItzMe View Post
It helps enough to know what to Google, thanks. I''ll explore IFTTT and the Logitech hub with Echo.
It is actually much simpler than it sounds. 😃

Have fun!

I also use the Smartthings hub and a z-wave garage door switch add-on (Linear Gocontrol) connected to my garage door opener so I can open and close it remotely and via voice, and also monitor open/closed status, and get notified if it opens between 11 PM and 7 AM, when it normally should be closed. Fun toys, and also useful.

Last edited by Danabw; Today at 09:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page