The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1020-K Owner's Thread - Page 16 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 4605 Old 05-14-2010, 09:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 93
^^^

did you run mcacc?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 4605 Old 05-14-2010, 11:10 AM

Liked: 10
Here's a question for the VSX-1020-K owners..

How do you specify the impedance for your speakers in the receiver configuration? I've searched in the manual (PDF) and I've not found anything regarding that.

I have a 5.1 Axiom setup and my speakers are both 8 ohms (M60) and 6 ohms (VP150 + QS8) so I'd like to adjust that the same way I did on my old Yamaha.

Thanks for your help!
post #453 of 4605 Old 05-14-2010, 11:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

unless you are going into thermal shutdown, leave it be... there's zero reason to switch the ohm setting otherwise...

the only thing it does is limit current/voltage to keep the power supply/amps from going into thermal...

and if it is going into thermal, you need a stronger/more stable amplifier, not an ohm switch setting change...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #454 of 4605 Old 05-14-2010, 12:03 PM

Chris,

I knew that the speakers would all be fine @ 8 ohms, but since it was possible on the Yamaha I thought it was a good idea to change it (if possible).

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!
post #455 of 4605 Old 05-14-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetastic View Post

I had posted a couple messages about my inability to view the video from my laptop's DVI port using a DVI/HDMI cable. I had tried a couple different adaptors including DVI -> Component, but nothing worked. Finally, I bought a Monoprice powered DVI + TOSLINK -> HDMI converter for about $50 and that worked beautifully.

Funny - just bought the exact same one from monoprice for my macbook - glad to hear it works well.
post #456 of 4605 Old 05-14-2010, 01:22 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruf View Post

Chris,

I knew that the speakers would all be fine @ 8 ohms, but since it was possible on the Yamaha I thought it was a good idea to change it (if possible).

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

you are welcome...

yea, it would be helpful if they explained what happens when you actually do switch it...

as i alluded to in my earlier post, if someone is going into thermal into 8 ohm mode, it's highly unlikely they'll get satisfactory results in 6 ohm mode...

- chris

post #457 of 4605 Old 05-14-2010, 04:28 PM

yea i wouldnt see the reason in wanting to switch it up. Might just be time for new speakers at that point if its making you think twice.

Im just happy theres enough info in and around this forum for me to learn the things i have
post #458 of 4605 Old 05-14-2010, 05:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I really wanted one of these but Winston's review was enough to turn me away. Too wimpy for me.
post #459 of 4605 Old 05-14-2010, 06:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmax2k1 View Post

I really wanted one of these but Winston's review was enough to turn me away. Too wimpy for me.

I would say more limited than wimpy. this may be the perfect receiver for my normal tv watcing and still getting some surround experience. it does lack some basic thump though. ymmv
post #460 of 4605 Old 05-14-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

I would say more limited than wimpy. this may be the perfect receiver for my normal tv watcing and still getting some surround experience. it does lack some basic thump though. ymmv

WOW - after seeing these messages (about wimpy etc), am wondering whats the volume you folks watch / listen the video/audio. I typically do it around -20 to -25dB.
post #461 of 4605 Old 05-14-2010, 07:31 PM

Liked: 14
Ok, figured out how to use the secondary functions in blue on the remote, they work automatically when you are in the appropriate function....

If anyone has any idea why the receiver volume is automatically decreasing when I use my iPhone hooked up through the included cables to the iPod hookup on front of the receiver that would be much appreciated! When playing loud for about 5 minutes (~ -8 through -10db) the volume will automatically decrease by a pretty significant amount. This problem exists when playing in auto (sub, front L and R only) or changing to standard listening mode (all 5.1 speakers). Any idea how I can prevent the receiver from decreasing the volume, or do I just have to live with this and my receiver is preventing from blowing the speakers (which I can't imagine is the case since I play movies louder for hours at a time). Thanks!

Sharp LC-80LE844U
Denon AVR-3312CI
Denon DBT-1713UD
Toshiba HD-A35
Sony Playstation 3
Canton MOVIE150SIL
post #462 of 4605 Old 05-14-2010, 08:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi all,
I'm with Didadi, listening at "0" dB and plus is really loud (unless your in a Large Room and or have less efficient /Power hungry Speakers.
I can listen at -12 or even -10 but I live in an Apartment.

There are so many listening room variables such as, Hard or Soft Surfaces, Carpet, Tile or Wood flooring, Ceiling Heights, Speakers used, not to mention the proper Setup that takes ALL of these variables into consideration!
MCACC should definitely help you get to the end result but don't freak-out if it's not just perfect, like a good recipe, you put in all of the ingredients and then adjust to taste!
Not to mention that We are not all perfect Sound Chef's!
I take those that are un-happy with a grain of Salt!
Enough Cooking metaphors! LOL!
Myself, everything came together and I am very Happy!
Still, I am sure that with time and as I continue to understand and get to know the equipment better, I am sure that I will tweak the recipe a bit!

My LG LCD has only one HDMI input, so with the 1020 I can now have everything going into it via HDMI and then just one HDMI out to my LG.
Perfect fit! My HD and SD picture is as it has always been!
I have only one Analog / HDMI scenario and that is for my Gateway 541FX Computer.
My Gateway connects to the 1020 with a DVI to HDMI cable, with the HDMI end going into the VSX1020 via HDMI 1.
DVI does not support Audio so for that I have to use a mini stereo jack to RCA cable, with the RCA connectors plugging into the analog "Video" input on the back of the VSX1020.

I have a Blu-Ray Player / Burner in my Gateway and for better Sound, I want to kill the Stereo mini jack to RCA Analog scenario and just replace my Video card with one that supports both Video and Audio through HDMI.
This is how my other computer, an HP 112y HTPC connects to my Pioneer Kuro via HDMI from it's ATI Radeon HD4350 graphics card.
Now I need to buy another Pioneer for my main Pioneer Kuro Plasma, maybe the new VSX 1120.

I do think that for the MCACC to properly set up your system, mic placement really makes a big difference.
As the manual states Do not set the mic on a soft surface, carpet etc. you also want it up to ear listening level.
There was a post about Mic placement and use!
We all know the saying GIGO: Garbage In, Garbage Out!
Mine has almost too much Bass in the System after it was Calibrated, almost!
And though I would not sit in a room and listen much in the dB plus zone, mine seems to have a nice mix of Balls, Clarity and Highs!
I did get messed up at the initial Speaker Setup because in 5.1, I had my Surround speakers wired to "Surround Rear" and I had to change that to just Surround L&R, then all was good!
But that was found in the MCACC Cal.

My biggest Con so far is that I did not have the 10% discount ticket when I purchased my VSX 1020 at BB last weekend!
I saw it on Sunday when I visited AVS Forums!
Day late, Discount Short! That Hurt!

Everyone Enjoy your new VSX 1020 K, it's always nice to have a new Toy to Play with!
later,
Bud
post #463 of 4605 Old 05-14-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

My biggest Con so far is that I did not have the 10% discount ticket when I purchased my VSX 1020 at BB last weekend!
Day late, Discount Short! That Hurt!

Just take it back and rebuy it. Or heck go in with the coupon and your receipt and talk to the magnolia guys, they might even credit you if you tell them you'll just return it and buy it again.

And BTW I'm saying the same thing about the db level. If I'm trying to hook this up in a huge theater, it probably wouldn't be that great. But then again if I had some 40k set up, and I'm buying a 500 dollar receiver, I need to beat myself up.

This is a great receiver for whats it worth. If you want something that puts out more sound at higher levels, save your money and buy an Elite.
post #464 of 4605 Old 05-15-2010, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Ditto on that Theheadsn,
I have also been doing some checking and my computer has SPDIF Optical out.
So, Rather than replacing my video card to add HDMI Out and then buying a 25 foot HDMI to HDMI cable, I am thinking that I will just try a 25 foot Toslink Optical cable to go from my computer to the VSX 1020 Optical Digital In.
I should then get full 5.1 and 7.1 audio from my computer.

Unfortunately it looks like no local brick and mortar store sell Toslink 25 foot Optic cables. I will have to order one online.

Will I have a problem if I have to snake the cable around some bends?
It is not a completely straight shot from my computer to the back of my ET center.

Thanks,
Bud
post #465 of 4605 Old 05-15-2010, 06:43 AM
Advanced Member

Hi again,
One other quirky thing that I have found is that I cannot program my Time Warner Cable box's Remote (Atlas OCAPM 1056L) to work with any controls of my 1020.
I also tried Learning mode "both ways, from and to" " on both remotes with no luck.
I really just wanted to add Volume and Power to my Cable DVR's remote.
Anyone else having any problems "Remote" wise with the VSX 1020?

Later,
Bud
post #466 of 4605 Old 05-15-2010, 07:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Hi again,
One other quirky thing that I have found is that I cannot program my Time Warner Cable box's Remote (Atlas OCAPM 1056L) to work with any controls of my 1020.
I also tried Learning mode "both ways, from and to" " on both remotes with no luck.
I really just wanted to add Volume and Power to my Cable DVR's remote.
Anyone else having any problems "Remote" wise with the VSX 1020?

Later,
Bud

Bud,

it's been my impression that the remote programming is hit or miss. for example, i have been unable to program my oppo's enter button on my pioneer remote despite the fact that every other function will can be taught/learned.
post #467 of 4605 Old 05-15-2010, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by didadi View Post

WOW - after seeing these messages (about wimpy etc), am wondering whats the volume you folks watch / listen the video/audio. I typically do it around -20 to -25dB.

I think I owe it to potential readers to clarify my comments about power limitations - this receiver will probably be more than adequate for 90% of users. If you have thirsty speakers or a very large room, you might find it a bit underpowered beyond -15dbs. Up to -20 it sounds very good, but I can hear distortion when i push it.

Other than that, it's a great receiver, but as usual, onkyo is pushing the feature/value equation with 608s on sale below $400.
post #468 of 4605 Old 05-15-2010, 09:30 AM
Advanced Member

So it looks like it may be time for me to look into a Harmony, URC or Sony Universal remote?
What remotes have people used for their VSX 1020?
I am not trying to start an entire remote hijack, there are forums for remotes.
Just what people have found that works well for this Pioneer VSX1020.

Thanks,
Bud
post #469 of 4605 Old 05-15-2010, 09:48 AM

"My biggest Con so far is that I did not have the 10% discount ticket when I purchased my VSX 1020 at BB last weekend!
Day late, Discount Short! That Hurt!"

I have taken discount coupons back after the sale. They have been very good about it. If you are within your 30 days just go do it. They know you can return it.
post #470 of 4605 Old 05-15-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:

So it looks like it may be time for me to look into a Harmony, URC or Sony Universal remote?
What remotes have people used for their VSX 1020?
I am not trying to start an entire remote hijack, there are forums for remotes.
Just what people have found that works well for this Pioneer VSX1020.

Thanks,
Bud

Ive read a bunch of posts about the controlling issues and it seems so far, like was said early, its hit or miss.

Im lucky (well kinda) the only things I have hooked up through my pioneer are my ps3, and my xbox. So not like the remotes gonna control those anyways. And heck my tvs still running basic cable, no box (but built in HD tunner thank god). So for the time being just gotta screw with the different remotes.
post #471 of 4605 Old 05-15-2010, 01:01 PM

I bought a 920-K...does the 1020-K also say it needs 16 inches of clearance for ventilation? That's crazy....I have about two inches of clearance in a vented cabinet right now, and can't get any more than that. Who has 16 inches of clearance unless they are mounting it on a shelf, and not inside a cabinet? Am I going to have problems? Do they really get too hot with less than 16 inches of clearance above the receiver? I'm upset about this because there was no way to know about it until I opened the box and read the owners manual, then got the entertainment console in a week later. I am not replacing the console - it's awesome.
post #472 of 4605 Old 05-15-2010, 01:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickson00 View Post

Do they really get too hot with less than 16 inches of clearance above the receiver?

I wouldn't be too worried. If you look back in this thread, you'll see several comments about how cool the 1020 runs. I have mine on an open shelf with 1.25" space above, and it is just slightly warm to the touch. Specs suggest 920 amps are similar.

Greg Lee
post #473 of 4605 Old 05-15-2010, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruf View Post

How do you specify the impedance for your speakers in the receiver configuration? ...
I have a 5.1 Axiom setup and my speakers are both 8 ohms (M60) and 6 ohms (VP150 + QS8) ...

I don't know how, but comments here and elsewhere suggest it would probably not be a good thing to do, anyhow. The special 6 ohm adjustment seems to be more for a liability concern than anything having to do with sound quality. I've been using a Pioneer vsx-817 for a while with Axiom M22 (8ohm), VP150 + QS8x4 (6ohm), and now with the vsx-1020 for a short time. I don't see a problem.

Greg Lee
post #474 of 4605 Old 05-15-2010, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

I wouldn't be too worried. If you look back in this thread, you'll see several comments about how cool the 1020 runs. I have mine on an open shelf with 1.25" space above, and it is just slightly warm to the touch. Specs suggest 920 amps are similar.

Thanks for the reassurance. I am going to research exhaust fans and see if I can find something relatively inexpensive that clips to the back of the cabinet and pulls air out of the compartment. Better safe than sorry!
post #475 of 4605 Old 05-15-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erickson00 View Post

Thanks for the reassurance. I am going to research exhaust fans and see if I can find something relatively inexpensive that clips to the back of the cabinet and pulls air out of the compartment. Better safe than sorry!

I had NR807,and had 1.5" clearance..That thing was HOT....VSX-1020K is probably 30% hot compared to NR807.,with probably little more clearnace. (2"). I am perfectly fine with it as far it is open shelf.

Another trick you can probably use is to buy a cooling-pad (that Fry's sell for 10$ or so) and try to keep it either underneath or above (top). BAsically, make sure to suck out the HOT air and allow some cooler air to get in. (Either via vents or fans). There are some TV entertainment shelving units which are high-tech that support better cooling,but more $.
post #476 of 4605 Old 05-16-2010, 07:16 AM

I couldn't wait any more for ABT, so I got the 1020 at BB with the 10% off coupon that's been floating around.

My setup is with the Fluance AVHTB+ 5-speaker system plus a Polk PSW505 Sub. I also bought a stereo in-ceiling speaker for my kitchen and wired that to my speaker B ports.

Since the Fluance speakers are bi-ampable, I went that route and used that setting for MCAAC. Then I discovered that I couldn't switch on Speaker B with the Bi-amp setting in effect. Switched to "Speaker B" setting, and the kitchen speaker works fine, but my bi-amping is off (and I would assume I now have to plug in my speakers differently and redo MCAAC).

Nothing in the manual mentioned anything about not being able to use Speaker B with the Bi-Amp setup, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. But now that I have my speakers bi-amped, I kind of don't want to give that up. The difference is noticeable. Does anybody know of a work-around?

Last question--It looks like the crossover setting for my speakers is defaulting to 80. As a newbie coming from HTIB land, I have no idea what a crossover setting is. Could anyone patiently explain that one to me?

Thanks. You guys are great.
post #477 of 4605 Old 05-16-2010, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanwinn View Post

I couldn't wait any more for ABT, so I got the 1020 at BB with the 10% off coupon that's been floating around.

My setup is with the Fluance AVHTB+ 5-speaker system plus a Polk PSW505 Sub. I also bought a stereo in-ceiling speaker for my kitchen and wired that to my speaker B ports.

Since the Fluance speakers are bi-ampable, I went that route and used that setting for MCAAC. Then I discovered that I couldn't switch on Speaker B with the Bi-amp setting in effect. Switched to "Speaker B" setting, and the kitchen speaker works fine, but my bi-amping is off (and I would assume I now have to plug in my speakers differently and redo MCAAC).

Nothing in the manual mentioned anything about not being able to use Speaker B with the Bi-Amp setup, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered. But now that I have my speakers bi-amped, I kind of don't want to give that up. The difference is noticeable. Does anybody know of a work-around?

Last question--It looks like the crossover setting for my speakers is defaulting to 80. As a newbie coming from HTIB land, I have no idea what a crossover setting is. Could anyone patiently explain that one to me?

At the end of the day, the receiver only has seven amps. If you're using a 5.1 plus 2 for the bi-amped fronts, you would be unable to send a signal to speaker b or zone 2 without turning off the plus 2. Most 7 amp receivers tend to limit your second or B zone when biamping.

Page 21 and 100 of the manual lead me to believe that the options are exclusive of one another
post #478 of 4605 Old 05-16-2010, 08:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanwinn View Post

any by the way, it's been my experience that bi-amping generally precludes you on running a second zone in many receivers in this price segment. from recollection, i think my 1007 could, but cannot remember definitively.
post #479 of 4605 Old 05-16-2010, 09:04 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

that's correct...

fwiw, passive bi-amping is worthless... and as the poster has found out, actually worse than worthless, because by doing it, he can't do something that he actually wants to do...

you get 7 channels of amplification... how you choose to use them is up to you... you can waste 2 of them bi-amping, or you can use them for other purposes...

- chris

post #480 of 4605 Old 05-16-2010, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 16
It's official...the VSX-1020-K is going back to Pioneer on Monday.

Picked up an Onkyo HT-RC180 at Frys for less than I paid for the Pioneer.

After hooking it up, running Audyssey, and doing a quick SPL meter check...all I can say is "Wow!". Talk about a night and day difference!

I finally have the sound I was after...couldn't be happier!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page