The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1020-K Owner's Thread - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 4546 Old 05-20-2010, 05:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I actually just tried that, disconnected all the way down to just my front speakers and center channel and they were quiet as a mouse which definitely shouldn't be happening when turned up to -30.0 Also my speaker wire is brand new I have a big spool of the monster cable XPHP-CI that has the clear tubing around the + & - wires which are spiraled together. So I know it can't be bad speaker wire. I really don't think the unit should be defective at this point it's only a day old haha.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 4546 Old 05-20-2010, 07:30 PM

I just received my receiver this evening, and was running through the MCACC setup. My system is a 5.1 plus the front left and right Bi-amped, and a left and right front height. How come I cannot choose this setup in MCACC? Once I chose Bi-Amp, I have no way of setting the front height, or telling it I have a front height, and they are obviously not working as of now.

Help!
post #543 of 4546 Old 05-20-2010, 07:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad126 View Post

I just received my receiver this evening, and was running through the MCACC setup. My system is a 5.1 plus the front left and right Bi-amped, and a left and right front height. How come I cannot choose this setup in MCACC? Once I chose Bi-Amp, I have no way of setting the front height, or telling it I have a front height, and they are obviously not working as of now.

Help!

Bi amp is no go with any 5.1 plus two (be they rear, bi-amp, high or wide). remember we're only playing with 7amps here!
post #544 of 4546 Old 05-20-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Bi amp is no go with any 5.1 plus two (be they rear, bi-amp, high or wide). remember we're only playing with 7amps here!

Shat. So it's Bi-Amp my Fronts OR use the 2 height channels?

So If I hook up my fronts as normal, so the Surround Rear ouputs are empty, the MCACC will pick up the height channel?
post #545 of 4546 Old 05-20-2010, 08:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Shat. So it's Bi-Amp my Fronts OR use the 2 height channels?

So If I hook up my fronts as normal, so the Surround Rear ouputs are empty, the MCACC will pick up the height channel?

Bi-amping on most receivers I have owned or tested precludes you from Zone 2, surround rears, heights, or wides. At the end of the day, the 1020 only has 7 amps - it simply cannot power more than 7 speakers at once.
post #546 of 4546 Old 05-20-2010, 08:08 PM

Did you get a response? The reason I am asking is that my 1020 seems to constantly switch back to TV/SAT when I fire it up. It is very annoying. I am also using a Harmony One remote so not sure if it is the receiver or the remote.
post #547 of 4546 Old 05-20-2010, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjosemike View Post

Did you get a response? The reason I am asking is that my 1020 seems to constantly switch back to TV/SAT when I fire it up. It is very annoying. I am also using a Harmony One remote so not sure if it is the receiver or the remote.

hdmi cec deal on cable box or tv doing that...
post #548 of 4546 Old 05-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Thanks Winston.

I hope I'm not too off topic but I've searched and not finding what I need.

My Motorola HD/DVR from Comcast is hooked up the the 1020 via HDMI, and obviously HDMI out to my LED.

The 1020 says DolbyDigital on it, but I'm not getting surround out of my surround speakers. I know they work because the PS3 is playing 5.1 flawlessly.

Am I missing something? The HD/DVR is set to "passthrough" for audio. I dont need an optical cable right? The surround should go through the HDMI no?
post #549 of 4546 Old 05-20-2010, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:

Its your Tv, go into Menu under HDMI-CEC and turn it Off. If the set is a Samsung look for AnyNet+ (default is normally On).
post #550 of 4546 Old 05-20-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:

hdmi cec deal on cable box or tv doing that...

any way to fix that? it drives me nuts having to hit the Help button on the remote every time I turn on the system.
post #551 of 4546 Old 05-20-2010, 08:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

any way to fix that? it drives me nuts having to hit the Help button on the remote every time I turn on the system.

per jchin, disable hdmi cec on yout tv.
post #552 of 4546 Old 05-20-2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:

per jchin, disable hdmi cec on yout tv.

Thanks Guys. I did that and problem solved.
post #553 of 4546 Old 05-20-2010, 09:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

The 1020 says DolbyDigital on it, but I'm not getting surround out of my surround speakers.

Try pressing the "standard" key on the bottom row of your remote and put your ear to one of the surround speakers. Keep pressing it and listening, and perhaps you'll get to a receiver mode in which you'll get some surround sound.

The deal is: a Dolby Digital signal can have varying channels, possibly including surround channels, but not necessarily. Look at the icons which appear on the left of the 1020 display -- those tell you what channels are present in a Dolby Digital input signal. If the LS and RS icons light up, there are Left Surround and Right Surround channels in the signal, and you should be able to hear them. But even if they don't light up, because there are no LS and RS channels present, the receiver can usually simulate them to give you some sort of surround, and that's what you're asking it to do by pressing the "standard" key. Pressing that key until the display shows Dolby PLIIx gives you a good all purpose surround mode (assuming you're using the back surround speakers).

Greg Lee
post #554 of 4546 Old 05-21-2010, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

Try pressing the "standard" key on the bottom row of your remote and put your ear to one of the surround speakers. Keep pressing it and listening, and perhaps you'll get to a receiver mode in which you'll get some surround sound.

The deal is: a Dolby Digital signal can have varying channels, possibly including surround channels, but not necessarily. Look at the icons which appear on the left of the 1020 display -- those tell you what channels are present in a Dolby Digital input signal. If the LS and RS icons light up, there are Left Surround and Right Surround channels in the signal, and you should be able to hear them. But even if they don't light up, because there are no LS and RS channels present, the receiver can usually simulate them to give you some sort of surround, and that's what you're asking it to do by pressing the "standard" key. Pressing that key until the display shows Dolby PLIIx gives you a good all purpose surround mode (assuming you're using the back surround speakers).

Great info. The LS and RS do light up, and I have in fact got some sound out of them with VERY few HD channels. I'm starting to wonder if my provider, Comcast, just sucks, or the box is flakey, etc. It seems when I tested some shows that I've recorded in HD, I'm not getting much surround out of the speakers.

I am not using back surround speakers, as these inouts are being used to Bi-Amp my fronts......
post #555 of 4546 Old 05-21-2010, 07:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

it's not unusual for most tv sources to not have much information in the surrounds...

got a dvd/bluray player? hook it up and try it with an action movie (or something else that is surround heavy) and see what you get...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #556 of 4546 Old 05-21-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene_sf View Post

I just logged in to the harmony remote website and there is an updated definition for the 1020. I accepted the update and it looks like HDMI1-4 are back. I'm not at home, so I haven't tested it yet, but it looks like it should work.

Gene

Good news, I'll d/l it tonight and see if it works better. If not, I'll try what portishead recommended.

Thanks!
post #557 of 4546 Old 05-21-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

it's not unusual for most tv sources to not have much information in the surrounds...

got a dvd/bluray player? hook it up and try it with an action movie (or something else that is surround heavy) and see what you get...

Yeah, the surrounds are working great with my PS3.......
post #558 of 4546 Old 05-21-2010, 10:22 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

well, that's a start then... that would eliminate the avr from the "issue" list...

to be honest, i've found that for the most part sports are really the only thing that makes extensive use of the surround channels... i'm not much of a "other than sports" watcher though, so ymmv on that...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #559 of 4546 Old 05-21-2010, 10:33 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

well, that's a start then... that would eliminate the avr from the "issue" list...

to be honest, i've found that for the most part sports are really the only thing that makes extensive use of the surround channels... i'm not much of a "other than sports" watcher though, so ymmv on that...

Silly man, there aren't any good sports being played in New Jersey

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #560 of 4546 Old 05-21-2010, 10:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

lol... that's why i have to watch them on tv...

- chris

post #561 of 4546 Old 05-21-2010, 01:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

having some image/format issues with a broweser, but the text of my shoot-out amongst pioneer 1020, denon 791 and onkyo 608 is up:

www.winstonsreviews.com

Thank you for the review. Would you please check something for me regarding the listening modes? I was listening to the Pioneer 1020 at BB and it had sound coming from the Back Surround and the Heights speakers. Was I mistaken? From what I have read, this is not possible. The mode was Dolby PII2 z. The movie was Pearl Harbor and the flyovers from back to front were great.

Thank you.

Henry
post #562 of 4546 Old 05-22-2010, 03:43 PM

Edit: The Logitech/Harmony database entry for this unit is funked up. Using the vsx-1019 profile I verified that "power on" "power off" HDMI1 HDMI2 HDMI3 all have discrete working IR commands

Old unnecessary workaround using the vsx-1020 profile detailed below -

"HDMI 0" aka BD has the right IR command. There are discrete codes for DVD TV and DVR which also happen to be assignable to an HDMI input. First make sure you turn off HDMI control under "system setup/other setup/HDMI setup." Connect your other three HDMI devices to HDMI2-4* and under "system setup/input setup" select either DVD, TV or DVR. The fifth option down in each of these devices is "HDMI Input" which is where you select the right connection. Make sure to write down this tangled mess of input names and then configure your remote to use inputs of these names rather than "hdmi2" and you will get functional switching.
*(HDMI1 is the only HDMI input with the option of optical/coax audio so you may want to save it just in case)

There are some major issues if you do this. You reduce the total number of inputs on the receiver for sound and video. Only DVD/BD/TV/DVR/Video/HDMI1 have the ability to assign optical/coax for audio. If you want a component video source with digital audio and you have four HDMI devices setup with my discrete work around you are left with only one component video input with digital audio, and it lacks a discrete IR code. You might as well just run that component directly to the display and use the CD input for audio since it has a discrete remote code. The other problem is seeing a goofy input name on the LCD and trying to remember what is connected where when not using the harmony remote. What I did was rename these reassigned inputs to the device name.

So my Xbox360 plugged into HDMI2 has been reassigned to the TV input that has been renamed "Xbox" which doesn't match the button name on the remote haha

BTW If any of you are using a PS3 other than the slim model make sure to use LPCM over HDMI in order to get full DTS-MA and Dolby TrueHD. The HDMI chipset in all non slim PS3 are unable to send the compressed DTS-MA/TrueHD so the data must be uncompressed locally and sent to the receiver in its raw state (which btw sounds amazing!)
post #563 of 4546 Old 05-22-2010, 10:32 PM

After getting everything wired up, I go to turn it on but I get no video... Hdmi is plugged in the out.
post #564 of 4546 Old 05-22-2010, 10:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfamousG View Post

After getting everything wired up, I go to turn it on but I get no video... Hdmi is plugged in the out.

Is the Tv set to the correct HDMI Input?

Could be HDCP handshake issue, try turning on your equipment in a certain order. First turn on the Tv, then receiver and last your source.
post #565 of 4546 Old 05-23-2010, 05:27 AM

Is it possible to have an HDMI video source with analog two channel audio input?

This receiver does have discrete Power On and Power Off IR commands and discrete HDMI1-4 commands. They were buried deep within the vsx-1019 soft buttons which show on the LCD portion of my Harmony.

How can I notify Logitech to fix this? All of my BS work arounds above were a waste of time lol
There is a thread on the Harmony forums about the vsx1020 http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmon...020/m-p/448584

edit: I was able to add the "Power On" and "Power Off" commands to my Harmony using the 1020 profile. From what I have read this may automatically add it to the database?
I configured my Harmony to control a vsx-1019. I then put an old Denon remote into learning mode and programmed a couple random buttons with the "power on" and "power off" commands sent from the Harmony. I then restarted the Harmony setup with a vsx-1020 and told it I had the original remote with discrete power buttons. I played back the commands that my Denon remote had learned

If you want to use the vsx-1020 profile and have correctly functioning input switching without synchronization problems then increase your power on delay to 4000ms and modify your remote to look exactly like this -

You'll notice that CDR/TAPE, HDMI5 and VIDEO are missing. You can use the workaround mentioned in my previous post to get HDMI5 working under a different input name.
post #566 of 4546 Old 05-23-2010, 08:29 AM

Can someone who owns this model please post a photo of what the GUI looks like on a TV with the iTunes album art being displayed? I am really interested in getting this receiver, but I understand that the album art is displayed in a very small size.

Also, anyone have any ideas if there is another receiver that displays album art off an iPod/iPhone at a good healthy size? Thanks.
post #567 of 4546 Old 05-23-2010, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post

Can someone who owns this model please post a photo of what the GUI looks like on a TV with the iTunes album art being displayed? I am really interested in getting this receiver, but I understand that the album art is displayed in a very small size.

Also, anyone have any ideas if there is another receiver that displays album art off an iPod/iPhone at a good healthy size? Thanks.

Theres an image on the pioneer web site.
post #568 of 4546 Old 05-23-2010, 10:10 AM

Hooked up my 1020 this week to MartinLogan Motion 10 fronts plus 8s, 4s and Dynamo 1000 sub. In stereo mode, I was dissapointed with the sound level. Need to go -10 to get it loud, and -30 to -40 its barely audible. But in stereo f.s. focus and stereo f.s. wide, the sound is much louder. -25 fills up the room with great sound. Very weird, I wonder what the difference is, in terms of amp power.
post #569 of 4546 Old 05-23-2010, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciper View Post

edit: I was able to add the "Power On" and "Power Off" commands to my Harmony using the 1020 profile. From what I have read this may automatically add it to the database?
I configured my Harmony to control a vsx-1019. I then put an old Denon remote into learning mode and programmed a couple random buttons with the "power on" and "power off" commands sent from the Harmony. I then restarted the Harmony setup with a vsx-1020 and told it I had the original remote with discrete power buttons. I played back the commands that my Denon remote had learned

If you want to use the vsx-1020 profile and have correctly functioning input switching without synchronization problems then increase your power on delay to 4000ms and modify your remote to look exactly like this

Thanks - very helpful.
post #570 of 4546 Old 05-23-2010, 01:24 PM

Anyone know if there is a trick to get a SanDisk MP3 player to work in the USB?
It will find the device but says there are no files, when there is over 4 gigs of music on the San Disk.

Other Wise I think this Receiver is very good. Had Mine for About 3 weeks now.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page