The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1020-K Owner's Thread - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 4546 Old 05-29-2010, 11:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi everyone. I am new to this and have some Q.

No matter how I set it up I cant hear speech loud enough.
I have a big difference between people talking and all other sounds.
One too low and the other too high. any advice?

The other is that my sat box is connected to hdmi1 but when i turn it on it dosent recognize it.. I have to press the botton thrue all of them to get back to it to do so..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 4546 Old 05-29-2010, 12:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brizman View Post

The other is that my sat box is connected to hdmi1 but when i turn it on it dosent recognize it.. I have to press the botton thrue all of them to get back to it to do so..

I have this setup, and on the input assignment menu, I assigned hdmi1 to sat/tv. Now, pressing the TV button switches the AVR to sending the sat box output on to the TV. If the AVR is in sat/tv mode and it is put into standby, when it's awakened, it will be in the same mode.

Possible remedies for not being able to hear dialog: (1) listen more closely, since hearing dialog through the other surround sounds takes practice; (2) turn on the AVR's dialog enhancement feature; (3a) aim the center speaker more directly at hearers; (3b) add sound absorbent material near the center speaker; (4) turn up the trim volume adjustment of the center speaker; (5) raise the level of the equalization band most important for speech perception for the center speaker (I don't know which band works best -- maybe 1-2kHz); (6) buy a better center speaker.

Greg Lee
post #633 of 4546 Old 05-29-2010, 03:26 PM

"turn on the AVR's dialog enhancement feature" Great, but how do i do that?
How do i put it in standby mode vs turn it off?
Can anyone explain to me the AUTO SURR/ALC/STREAM DIRECT?

Thanx.
post #634 of 4546 Old 05-29-2010, 03:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

"turn on the AVR's dialog enhancement feature" Great, but how do i do that?
How do i put it in standby mode vs turn it off?

Dialog enhancement is described on p. 68 of the user manual, 4th setting down from the top of the page. "Turn off" and "put into standby mode" mean essentially the same thing.

Greg Lee
post #635 of 4546 Old 05-29-2010, 03:42 PM

Hey all,

I've read through the forums and searched the internet quite a bit but could not find an exact answer to this...

I watch Blurays through a PS3 and have the 1020k receiver. Why can I not change the sound format from being "PCM" to say "neo:6" or "pro-logic IIx"? I try to cycle throught he sound options and it simply does not change.

Thanks for the help in advance.
post #636 of 4546 Old 05-29-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

Dialog enhancement is described on p. 68 of the user manual, 4th setting down from the top of the page. "Turn off" and "put into standby mode" mean essentially the same thing.

Let me start by saying thanks for taking the time to help me
I saw it and tried but the reciever skips over that option as well as the dnr option. Why?

I am cunfused as to how you put it in stby mode
post #637 of 4546 Old 05-29-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wusamata View Post

Hey all,

I've read through the forums and searched the internet quite a bit but could not find an exact answer to this...

I watch Blurays through a PS3 and have the 1020k receiver. Why can I not change the sound format from being "PCM" to say "neo:6" or "pro-logic IIx"? I try to cycle throught he sound options and it simply does not change.

Thanks for the help in advance.

pcm automatically decodes everything for the audio format of blu-ray on the ps3; I personally like it better that way, if you change your ps3 audio settings to bitstream it will let you change the audio formats,
post #638 of 4546 Old 05-29-2010, 04:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi Brizman,
As far as your Dialog is concerned.
Have you done the MCACC Speaker alignment yet?
If so then is your question that the volume is just too low at the Center speaker?
After running the MCACC you can go into the MCACC manually and raise the dB's/Volume of the Center Channel or for that matter any speaker.

Bud
post #639 of 4546 Old 05-29-2010, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Hi Wusamata,
With the 4 "Listening Mode" buttons along the bottom of the remote, I believe the one that you are talking about is the 2nd from the right which is the "Standard" button.
When you are locked into a real Surround Field Movie or Program I find that the Standard button will only select "Digital" or DTS or PCM and not toggle through the ProLogic and Neo Etc selections.
The other 3 still do select various Sound-Fields.
I just think that it is due to a Solid Surround Locked Listening Field under "Standard"
I am now watching SpiderMan on my Time Warner Cable with all of the Main Speakers and Surrounds shown, you will see this in the upper left of the display, you see ALL Speakers listed,
Left, Center, Right, Surround Left and Surround Right.
When I see the Pro Logic's etc usually the Surrounds are not shown and the
ProLogic's etc are simulating what is not a True Surround program.
At least that is what I think.
Others can chime in...
I think your 1020 is fine, just things to get used to.

Later,
Bud
PS. SpiderMan really sounds Great!
I watched the movie in ALC and it it seems that the music does not overtake the Dialog as much either!
We are all still discovering! Not a day goes by though that I am not happy with the 1020! Nice Unit!
OK gotta get back to enjoying! LOL!
post #640 of 4546 Old 05-29-2010, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I saw it and tried but the reciever skips over that option [dialog enhancement] as well as the dnr option. Why?

I am cunfused as to how you put it in stby mode

I don't know why DNR and Dial. E are unavailable to you. I just tried them, and the settings are available to me. Notice on p. 67 of the manual the note saying that if a setting doesn't appear, "it is unavailable due to the current source settings and status of the receiver." I'm playing a DD 5.1 source using Dolby PLIIz Height mode. Maybe you're using some special setting like "stereo direct"?

You put the receiver in standby mode by turning it off.

Greg Lee
post #641 of 4546 Old 05-30-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wusamata View Post

Why would you want to do this? If your PS3 is a non slim model then PCM is the correct setting. Your Blurays most likely have DTS-MA or Dolby True-HD and if the receiver is showing PCM then you are getting the audio exactly as it was in the theater and how the director intended. You DON'T want extra processing on top of it.

The only time I could see that you would want extra processing would be if the Blueray had a 2 channel audio track. I am 99% sure that when you feed the receiver a 2 channel PCM track then Pro-Logic becomes available.
post #642 of 4546 Old 05-30-2010, 09:16 PM

I recently picked up the 1020-k and so far am perfectly happy with it. Ive used active hdmi switches which worked ok for 1080i or less. 1080p caused noise in the images. The 1020k seems to handle 1080p without issue. Im using each of the rear hdmi ports (hd dvr, hddvd , ps3, xbox360, samsung 3d blueray player). Output is going to a samsung 55 inch c8000. The avr is powering an older set of polks and Im happy with the audio performance (Im no audiophile). The primary reason I choose this avr is because of the feature list(handling multiple hdmi connections,passing 3d video,included ipod connector). The only feature that I would have liked is direct dlna support. Im upgrading the avr from an older pioneer 850 which I was always happy with. One of my other concerns was addition of lag when gaming but have found that this is a non-issue, its perfect.

Since i hooked up the fios box via hdmi to the receiver, I want to make it easier for the family to control everything directly via the avr remote.
Has anyone been able to configure the remote to control verizon's hd dvr (motorola qpi641-1)? Which code did you end up using? Ive tried each of the codes for motorola but havent had any luck. I'm not sure if its something I'm doing wrong or just that the published codes in the manual do not work.

For example, i had to try the code for my blue ray player 4 times before it actually started working.

Thanks
post #643 of 4546 Old 05-31-2010, 12:23 AM
Advanced Member

The R. L. C. SR, SL and LFE channels show up in the display on front of the AVR. I am using the Wide Mode setup and have it selected in the setup menu. I ran MCACC and it correctly identified the WR, WL and SB in addition to the above channels/speakers.

Should there be a lignt in the display indicating the Wides are in the mix when in the Wide Surround Mode.? Also when in Dolby Pro Logic II X should there be an indication the Back Surround is in the mix? Thank you.

Henry
post #644 of 4546 Old 05-31-2010, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Got my 1020 all setup. Everything was pretty straight forward. The only weird thing going on is, if i turn on the receiver first (which has my Fios box & sony BD plyer connected to it) and the Panny 58V10 second, the receiver turns off right away. If i turn the tv on first and the receiver second, everything stays on...weird. I think it may be related to HDMI CEC control settings on the tv. Anyone had this happen ? I'll play around with it some more today.
Got to hear some DTS-Hd Master audio (Hellboy II), unbelievable! Even my little Martin Logan dynamo squeaker didn't sound to bad once calibrated.

- Chip
post #645 of 4546 Old 05-31-2010, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcewin View Post

Should there be a lignt in the display indicating the Wides are in the mix when in the Wide Surround Mode.? Also when in Dolby Pro Logic II X should there be an indication the Back Surround is in the mix?

No, icons don't light up for derived channels, only for "discrete" channels in the source signal. You'll notice that when you play a stereo source in one of the Dolby ProLogic modes that you do get sound from the side surround speakers even though the corresponding icons on the display do not light up. That's because left and right surround channels, though they may be present in the stereo source in matrixed form, are not there as separate channels in the source signal.

Greg Lee
post #646 of 4546 Old 05-31-2010, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip E View Post

Got my 1020 all setup. Everything was pretty straight forward. The only weird thing going on is, if i turn on the receiver first (which has my Fios box & sony BD plyer connected to it) and the Panny 58V10 second, the receiver turns off right away. If i turn the tv on first and the receiver second, everything stays on...weird. I think it may be related to HDMI CEC control settings on the tv. Anyone had this happen ? I'll play around with it some more today.
Got to hear some DTS-Hd Master audio (Hellboy II), unbelievable! Even my little Martin Logan dynamo squeaker didn't sound to bad once calibrated.

Definitely sounds like HDMI CEC. Turn off the Viera link stuff in the Panny and Kuro link in the Pio.

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #647 of 4546 Old 05-31-2010, 08:57 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

No, icons don't light up for derived channels, only for "discrete" channels in the source signal. You'll notice that when you play a stereo source in one of the Dolby ProLogic modes that you do get sound from the side surround speakers even though the corresponding icons on the display do not light up. That's because left and right surround channels, though they may be present in the stereo source in matrixed form, are not there as separate channels in the source signal.

Thanks Greg.

Henry
post #648 of 4546 Old 05-31-2010, 10:04 AM
Advanced Member

I got the new 1020 and boy am i happy, but I do have one question:

Is it possible to shuffle the display menu so that it shows the input instead of the audio track.

(example: I want my PS3 to say PLAYSTATION 3 and not the very boring PCM)

I have already renamed the input.

Blurays: 115
HD-DVD: 12- YES I will be keeping them so I can own a piece of history
post #649 of 4546 Old 05-31-2010, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex-ky View Post

Has anyone been able to configure the remote to control verizon's hd dvr (motorola qpi641-1)?

Thanks

You can manually program the remote (make it "learn") another remote. The Pioneer remote is so horrific, though, that I would not wish it upon anybody (especially if you are trying to make it easier for somebody).
post #650 of 4546 Old 05-31-2010, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick97 View Post

I got the new 1020 and boy am i happy, but I do have one question:

Is it possible to shuffle the display menu so that it shows the input instead of the audio track.

(example: I want my PS3 to say PLAYSTATION 3 and not the very boring PCM)

I have already renamed the input.

anyone?

post #651 of 4546 Old 05-31-2010, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merrick97 View Post

anyone?

with receiver control on, press display/info
post #652 of 4546 Old 05-31-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

with receiver control on, press display/info

This doesn't work. I'd be interested in changing the display also, but I don't think it's possible.
post #653 of 4546 Old 05-31-2010, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post

This doesn't work. I'd be interested in changing the display also, but I don't think it's possible.

you can edit the name...trying to sort out what button changes input/source audio display...give me some time
post #654 of 4546 Old 05-31-2010, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Just a quick note - upon re-reading the manual and playing with the receiver further, i can confirm that the 1020 can definitely upscale hdmi sources. For example, I am able to deinterlace my 1080i cable feed.

That said, some of the video options listed in the menu are not visible...can some one else confirm?
post #655 of 4546 Old 05-31-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:

Just a quick note - upon re-reading the manual and playing with the receiver further, i can confirm that the 1020 can definitely upscale hdmi sources. For example, I am able to deinterlace my 1080i cable feed.

That said, some of the video options listed in the menu are not visible...can some one else confirm?

Yes, it is the same for me. I am using the receiver to deinterlace my directv signal from 1080i to 1080p via hdmi. Also the only video parameter I am able to adjust is resolution when upconverting the hdmi signal. No other video options are available.
post #656 of 4546 Old 06-01-2010, 02:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

you can edit the name...trying to sort out what button changes input/source audio display...give me some time

For all the reciever can do its amazing what it cant do. It doesnt seem to be able to do this. Honestly thats really my only complaint with this receiver. Some of the things that should be easy to do ended up being quite frustrating.
I wanted to hook my PC up via DVI to HDMI using an optical for audio and the manual was very unclear about how this is done. I finally figured it out.

post #657 of 4546 Old 06-01-2010, 05:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbarnz View Post

Yes, it is the same for me. I am using the receiver to deinterlace my directv signal from 1080i to 1080p via hdmi. Also the only video parameter I am able to adjust is resolution when upconverting the hdmi signal. No other video options are available.

the manual leads me to believe other video adjustments should be present. if i find an extra hour in the day, i will call pioneer.
post #658 of 4546 Old 06-01-2010, 05:51 AM

Maybe someone can shed some light on Dolby Prologic IIz with this receiver. I'm looking into expanding my 5.1 setup to 7.1 plus the 2 height speakers, so essentially a 9.1 setup. After reading up on Prologic IIz it seems to incorporate all of the features of Prologic IIx. So it should be able to take a 5.1 signal and expand it to 7.1 plus the two heights (9.1). The manual shows that this is the default configuration of the receiver (9.1) so it seems it is possible. My question is, does anyone know the watts the front heights / speaker B channels output when all 7.1 channels are being used also? I know that receiver is rated at 110 watts / 7 channels so what are the height channels rated at? Am I looking at this the wrong way? Is the option either 7.1 with front heights and no surrounds, or 7.1 with surrounds and no front height speakers?

Is anyone currently running a 9.1 setup? Thanks in advance for the help. I'm just trying to find out if a 9.1 setup is supported before I bought 4 additional speakers. Thanks in advance!
post #659 of 4546 Old 06-01-2010, 06:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksbarnz View Post

Maybe someone can shed some light on Dolby Prologic IIz with this receiver. I'm looking into expanding my 5.1 setup to 7.1 plus the 2 height speakers, so essentially a 9.1 setup. After reading up on Prologic IIz it seems to incorporate all of the features of Prologic IIx. So it should be able to take a 5.1 signal and expand it to 7.1 plus the two heights (9.1). The manual shows that this is the default configuration of the receiver (9.1) so it seems it is possible. My question is, does anyone know the watts the front heights / speaker B channels output when all 7.1 channels are being used also? I know that receiver is rated at 110 watts / 7 channels so what are the height channels rated at? Am I looking at this the wrong way? Is the option either 7.1 with front heights and no surrounds, or 7.1 with surrounds and no front height speakers?

Is anyone currently running a 9.1 setup? Thanks in advance for the help. I'm just trying to find out if a 9.1 setup is supported before I bought 4 additional speakers. Thanks in advance!

it's only a 7amp receiver. can't make 9 out of 7.
post #660 of 4546 Old 06-01-2010, 06:53 AM

Quote:

it's only a 7amp receiver. can't make 9 out of 7.

That's what I was afraid of. Wonder why the manual has a 9.1 setup as the default. Bummer, kind of misleading. Are you using the height speakers or are you using the wide setup? I'm just wondering if the additional height speakers are worth spending the money on. From the reviews I have read online, the reception to Prologic IIz is mixed.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page