AVS Forum banner

The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1020-K Owner's Thread

786K views 5K replies 872 participants last post by  gregoryperkins 
#1 ·
Just received my new Pioneer VSX-1020 receiver (pre-ordered direct from Pioneer)

Here are a few pics of the exterior:

After spending an hour or so with the unit, I've noticed the following:

Positives
  • Gorgeous GUI for main menu (After Denon AVR1909, this is appreciated!)
  • Very detailed auto-calibration using multiple patterns
  • Very granular adjustments (overall)

Negatives
  • Awful remote
  • Input switching takes longer than Denon it replaced
  • (So far) Don't see any way to control crossover for individual channels

Although it isn't fair to compare the sound of the Denon AVR-1909 and this unit yet as I spent a TON of time calibrating and adjusting the Denon and have only played with this unit an hour, I did notice a few things after the initial auto calibration:
  • MCACC has odd distances for my wall-mounted rear surrounds. They're about 2ft away, but MCACC sees as ~6ft
  • MCACC dials the sub level much lower than Denon's Audyssey
  • A filter of some sort is being applied to LFE channel as the Rythmik F12 sounds very different (lacking detail) than when I used the Denon. This is 110% a setting someplace I just haven't seen.

After going through the manual, I now see there's an Advanced MCACC (Manual) mode that has a TON of adjustments. More importantly, there seem to be some incredible tools at your disposal. I'll be playing with this soon and will post some images/results.

See less See more
#603 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B /forum/post/18684998

Hi all,

I posted earlier that I connected my Gateway Computer with Blu-Ray to my 1020, I used a DVI (from Computer) to HDMI 1 Pioneer 1020.

I had at the time used for audio, the Mini Stereo plug at Computer to RCA inputs at 1020 going into the Video Input.

How exactly did you setup the Video input to get audio from the RCA inputs and video from hdmi?

#604 ·
Hi DiscoThreat,

For cable connections I used HDMI 1 and then plugged the RCA connectors into "Video" input.

In "System Setup" select "Input Setup" and then "Video" then for "HDMI Input" select: HDMI 1.

Rename it if you want and then Save and Exit.

Now when you have "Video" or special Name selected on the 1020 on the Remote you will see a button (Lower portion, left side, next to MCACC)

that says "Signal Sel" as you push that you will toggle through different selections, push that until you see the box in the display's upper left change from "HDMI Auto" to "Analog" and that should be it.

If you were successful you should now see your Video through HDMI 1 and hear the Audio through your Analog RCA.

You should be able to do this for any input and not solely have to use "Video!"

Play around but you should now get the picture.

Easier and sounding much better than the Analog RCA option though is to just use HDMI 1 and a Toslink Optical cable plugged into Optic 1 or 2 and then in Setup you would select HDMI 1 and for "Digital In" select Opt 1 or 2 whichever you are plugged into, you will still need to set "Signal Select" on the front panel now to "Digital" rather than "Analog" and your good to go.

Good Luck,

Bud

#605 ·
Does anyone have advice for an HDMI input which defaults to analog audio in without extra button presses? If not possible does the available options listed under signal select ever change for a specific input?

I purchased a USB to DVI adapter which supports 1080p. I ran this USB cable to my seat and also ran two long RCA cable with a headphone adapter. I can easily connect both of these to my laptop for sound/video.

Right now I have a DVI to HDMI cable running directly to my display and the two RCA into the receiver. Luckily I have a harmony remote which does the input switching automatically but it would be very helpful if I could connect this HDMI cable to the receiver and get sound without pressing extra buttons or worrying about lost IR commands due to macros.

In case anyone cares I found the Sirius pinout. It looks as if you could use an old Mac or sun keyboard(serial) cable, twist the rx and tx wires together and have an extra analog input.

Page eight of this document shows the pinout of the Siriusconnect din but it has a mistake http://www.sirius.com/pdf/manuals/sc...tion_guide.pdf

____

If any of you are electronics buffs maybe you could help me with a related project - http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1252365

#606 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj /forum/post/18678197

^^^

1) read proper microphone positioning and re-run.

2) check your cable box settings and make sure that you don't have some type of volume compression going on.

3) levels are highly source dependent, but you shouldn't have to be getting anywhere near -10 off of reference for cable (which makes me think that something in the cable box is at work). different stations will also broadcast at different levels (drives me crazy during football season switching back and forth between fox and cbs).

4) as far as cd's go... again, this is source/recording dependent... i will listen to a "good" classical recording anywhere between -10 and -5, however, most "pop" music has so little dynamic range, anything much over -25 is too loud....

ymmv...

Thanks for the reply. I checked the cable box settings, and everything looks fine. The volume is turned all the way up and I double checked the audio settings. I ran the autocallibration as suggested at the link you provided. Still noticeably quieter when I watch cable vs DVD or CD. I also find it weird that the sound is so much quieter in normal stereo mode vs. f.s. focus stereo and f.s. wide. Anyone notice that too?

#607 ·
@ciper...

once you've done the "signal select", the avr "remembers" your last setting...

at least they have in the past...

#608 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B /forum/post/18690186

Hi DiscoThreat,

For cable connections I used HDMI 1 and then plugged the RCA connectors into "Video" input.

In "System Setup" select "Input Setup" and then "Video" then for "HDMI Input" select: HDMI 1.

Rename it if you want and then Save and Exit.

Now when you have "Video" or special Name selected on the 1020 on the Remote you will see a button (Lower portion, left side, next to MCACC)

that says "Signal Sel" as you push that you will toggle through different selections, push that until you see the box in the display's upper left change from "HDMI Auto" to "Analog" and that should be it.

If you were successful you should now see your Video through HDMI 1 and hear the Audio through your Analog RCA.

You should be able to do this for any input and not solely have to use "Video!"

Play around but you should now get the picture.

Easier and sounding much better than the Analog RCA option though is to just use HDMI 1 and a Toslink Optical cable plugged into Optic 1 or 2 and then in Setup you would select HDMI 1 and for "Digital In" select Opt 1 or 2 whichever you are plugged into, you will still need to set "Signal Select" on the front panel now to "Digital" rather than "Analog" and your good to go.

Good Luck,

Bud

Worked perfectly! Thanks, Bud!

#609 ·
Hello, all!

I have a VSX-920-K, which is very similar to the 1020-K. I am having a problem getting sound from the B Speakers. When I first played around with the receiver, I tested all the speakers and everything worked. I was tuned into a local FM radio station and had the receiver set to play through both the A and B speakers. Once everything was mounted and properly wired, I tested the speakers again. Everything worked. Two weeks later, I put the radio on and tried to switch to my B Speakers, which are outside on my deck. No sound. I checked to make sure I had the output set to Stereo, and went back outside. No sounds. I am getting sound only from the A speakers inside the house.

Does anyone know what setting might be blockinig sound from going to the B speakers? On the 920-K, the B speakers are accessible in place of Height Speakers. If I using a 5.1 setup, I can use the height Speaker outputs to power B speakers for a different room. as I said, this worked two weeks ago and for whatever reason, now it doesn't. All wires are still properly connected. Please help!!

#610 ·
Just left BB with a 1020. got them to match a pricegrabber search, buy.com-$430.00. Gonna set it up now. Focal SibXL's (x5), ML Dynamo, BDP-S350, 58V10, FiOs-hd. Just have to run a new sub cable. Just say'n, hey..

#611 ·
Hi Chip E, welcome to the Pioneer VSX1020K Forum Thread!

Let us know if all goes well!

Eric I am not familiar with the B speaker setup since I do not use it but there are quite a few posts about it in this Forum Thread if you read back.

Maybe someone else will chime in.

Bud

#612 ·
I am about to purchase this receiver for my new condo. I'm looking at the speaker terminals on the back; does no one use the simple clips anymore? The twist down posts are a pain in the butt. Do you guys use bare wire on those, or is it easier to use something like spade connectors?

#613 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnideffer /forum/post/18698640

I am about to purchase this receiver for my new condo. I'm looking at the speaker terminals on the back; does no one use the simple clips anymore? The twist down posts are a pain in the butt. Do you guys use bare wire on those, or is it easier to use something like spade connectors?

Spring clips only come on the very cheapest receivers. 5 way binding posts are much more flexible. I use banana plugs...makes it real easy. Spades are fine, bare wire is ok too.

#615 ·
I am setting up the this receiver tomorrow on a set of 5.1 NHT Absolutes. Before i get started quick question,

Is there a way to have the tv play the audio when the receiver is off, like if there was no stereo system? Sometimes at night or for whatever I may not want to always turn on the receiver.

I am sure i'll have more questions, thanks in advance!!

#617 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinb181 /forum/post/18699943

I am setting up the this receiver tomorrow on a set of 5.1 NHT Absolutes. Before i get started quick question,

Is there a way to have the tv play the audio when the receiver is off, like if there was no stereo system? Sometimes at night or for whatever I may not want to always turn on the receiver.

Yes and no. If you are using HDMI, the receiver will continue to pass audio along to the TV when the receiver is off IF a device that supports control over HDMI is connected (e.g., my Panasonic BD player does this). However, for other devices (such as my TiVo), the stereo does not pass audio to the TV when the receiver is off. There is an audio pass-though option for HDMI but I believe that this would require the receiver to be on and also involves changing settings stuck deep in menus on the receiver.

#618 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeitingon /forum/post/18700554

Yes and no. If you are using HDMI, the receiver will continue to pass audio along to the TV when the receiver is off IF a device that supports control over HDMI is connected (e.g., my Panasonic BD player does this). However, for other devices (such as my TiVo), the stereo does not pass audio to the TV when the receiver is off. There is an audio pass-though option for HDMI but I believe that this would require the receiver to be on and also involves changing settings stuck deep in menus on the receiver.

Thanks for the reply.. I am mainly concerned about my Cox DVR (Motorola 6416).. I will have to experiment with the different settings, at least it is "possible" if my equipment can handle it. I doubt the Cox DVR has advanced settings but maybe i can force it through. I don't expect to watch much TV with out the receiver on but on occasion especially late at night it would be a nice option to have.

I am sure i'll have other questions after I have everything set up.. thanks for all the help so far.

#619 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinb181 /forum/post/18701608

Thanks for the reply.. I am mainly concerned about my Cox DVR (Motorola 6416).. I will have to experiment with the different settings, at least it is "possible" if my equipment can handle it. I doubt the Cox DVR has advanced settings but maybe i can force it through. I don't expect to watch much TV with out the receiver on but on occasion especially late at night it would be a nice option to have.

I am sure i'll have other questions after I have everything set up.. thanks for all the help so far.

I have connected by TiVo box so that it runs though the receiver with HDMI and I also ran a set of component/analog audio cables from the TiVo directly to the TV for times when I do not want the stereo on - this was the only solution I could think of that would work for my needs.

#620 ·
I have just purchased the 1020 for a bedroom setup. Everything works fine except for this strange problem.

Every morning when I turn it on there is no sound coming from the unit. Through many hours of troubleshooting, I have found that if I disconnect the HDMI cable to the TV before turning it on then I get sound from the tuner. Then I can plug it back in and everthing is ok for the rest of the day.

I tried switching cables to no avail. All HDMI control is set to off on the receiver, Samsung tv and Panasonic blue ray player.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

#623 ·
#624 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B /forum/post/18698481

Hi Chip E, welcome to the Pioneer VSX1020K Forum Thread!

Let us know if all goes well!

Eric I am not familiar with the B speaker setup since I do not use it but there are quite a few posts about it in this Forum Thread if you read back.

Maybe someone else will chime in.

Bud

I read this thread from Page 1...a lot of talk about Zone 2 and B Speakers, but my problem persists. The information here suggests that I can't get anything but iPod or tuner through my B Speakers...okay...but the problem is, the B Speakers aren't working with the tuner or the iPod. Nothing. And my AVR doesn't have Zone 2, it just has B speakers that must play the same content as the A speakers. So I am wondering if there is some setting somewhere i have wrong that needs to be adjusted so when I have a party, i can hook up my iPod and have it play inside and also on my deck through the outdoor speaker i bought. This is crazy...it worked prior to putting the speakers on the wall. One the speakers were mounted...no sound. All wiring is correct.

#626 ·
In case anyone cares a Logitech support person has created a special receiver on my account which has every Pioneer IR command on it. I am testing them and reporting back. I would imagine within a week the Harmony will work perfect

Read about it here (second page) http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Harmon.../447490/page/2

I also bought a Mac serial printer cable and verified it fits the Sirius port

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeitingon /forum/post/18701869

I have connected by TiVo box so that it runs though the receiver with HDMI and I also ran a set of component/analog audio cables from the TiVo directly to the TV for times when I do not want the stereo on - this was the only solution I could think of that would work for my needs.

I did this so I could also use PIP (side by side actually) with the receiver output on one side and the Tivo on the other. I dont think its possible to output audio through HDMI with the receiver turned off.

#627 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip E /forum/post/18698123

Just left BB with a 1020. got them to match a pricegrabber search, buy.com-$430.00. Gonna set it up now. Focal SibXL's (x5), ML Dynamo, BDP-S350, 58V10, FiOs-hd. Just have to run a new sub cable. Just say'n, hey..

I saw this on Amazon, then It was gone later that day! I should have went to BB immediately to try for the price match!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.