Forum Jump: 

post #811 of 4580 Old 06-14-2010, 09:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken 555 View Post

I'm new to the forum but I have to say after reviewing all the posts regarding the Pioneer 1020, I'm surprised that there seems to be very few end users that are completelely happy with this AVR. By contrast, I went to the Onkyo 608 thread (the other AVR I was considering) and even though there are some setup/configuration issues, the general consensus seems to be much more positive. I'm considering cancelling my order for the 1020 and buying the 608 for aroung the same money. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated

I'd like to add that overall I'm happy with mine as well. I've been quiet mainly because I haven't had any issues with it that I couldn't figure out from this thread or the manual. I had the Onkyo 608 initially (mostly because of lower price and similar feature set as the 1020), and at first I loved it. Slick OSD and GUI, very intuitive controls and setup, easy reassignment of inputs, etc. But, eventually I noticed some of the video processing issues that winston9332 and others have discussed here and in the TX-SR608 thread. I noticed the video issues before anything had been posted about them in the forums, so I called Onkyo tech support to find out if anything could be done to bypass the video processing. They said no, there's no way to avoid it, so I made the decision to return the 608 and get the 1020 instead. (Later, some folks discovered that you can disable all video processing on the 608, but you lose the OSD and on-screen volume display, which was one of its big advantages for me).

So, I've been living with the 1020 for about 3 weeks and it's great. I definitely miss the OSD of the Onkyo, but if I had the Onkyo now, I would have to disable all the video processing for me to be happy w/the PQ, so I wouldn't have the fancy OSD anyway. Plus, the iPod integration on the 1020 is a nice bonus. Oh, and in my subjective hand-on-top-of-receiver comparison, the 1020 seems to run a tad cooler overall than the 608 did when I had it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 4580 Old 06-14-2010, 10:05 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by twarman17 View Post

I have DRC turned off on the blu ray player. Is there a DRC on the AVR? Thanks

Yes! I hate to say it, but read your manual!

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #813 of 4580 Old 06-14-2010, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by owlish View Post

...The 1020 is newer, but is still based on old (discontinued) ABT scaler chip. The OSD it produces looks as if it's from Windows 3.1 days, takes annoyingly long to show up and is slow to scroll (painfully slow to scroll through iPhone/iPod music lists). It does not overlay, so you can't see volume level on TV screen, unless you enable HDMI Control - but in that case damn thing will switch to TV/SAT input any time TV or 1020 (with TV being on) is switched on. Which would be ok if you could assign your cable/sat HDMI to TV/SAT input, but you can't - not if HDMI Control is enabled, so you probably have nothing on that input. Better yet, if you turn off a blue ray player and HDMI control is enabled, the TV will switch to internal tuner input, where you probably have nothing. In other words, HDMI Control needs to be disabled if you value your sanity, so you really can't have volume level on TV screen.

Considering 1020 vs 608 like so many others. My setup would be with a Panasonic projector. So with the pj connected to the HDMI output from the 1020 the 1020 will always select the TV/SAT input even if I have nothing connected there? My input sources will be a Toshiba HD-DVD, Panasonic Blu-Ray and PS3. I watch mostly movies in the home theater room but in cases where I do want to watch TV, I connect my cable box. Right now I use component cables and a coaxial digital cable. Would I be able to use the overlaid volume control with my setup? Would it matter if I switched to HDMI for the cable box?

"Like a Ninja, only better!"
post #814 of 4580 Old 06-14-2010, 12:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang5o View Post

So with the pj connected to the HDMI output from the 1020 the 1020 will always select the TV/SAT input even if I have nothing connected there?

No, it was the internal tuner that is switched to, not an external sat tuner, and that problem is connected with using HDMI control. The solution is to not use HDMI control. I have also found HDMI control on the 1020 to be unusable.

Greg Lee
post #815 of 4580 Old 06-14-2010, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang5o View Post

Considering 1020 vs 608 like so many others. My setup would be with a Panasonic projector. So with the pj connected to the HDMI output from the 1020 the 1020 will always select the TV/SAT input even if I have nothing connected there? My input sources will be a Toshiba HD-DVD, Panasonic Blu-Ray and PS3. I watch mostly movies in the home theater room but in cases where I do want to watch TV, I connect my cable box. Right now I use component cables and a coaxial digital cable. Would I be able to use the overlaid volume control with my setup? Would it matter if I switched to HDMI for the cable box?

You will only get volume control on TV screen with 1020 if your TV/projector supports HDMI-CEC and it's enabled on both sides. But yes, in that case 1020 will lose ability to reassign HDMI inputs to TV/SAT button, and yes 1020 will keep switching to that button whenever it "senses" TV. You can switch back to HDMI afterwards, but it's really annoying.

However, if you stick with component/coax for your cable box, that's not a problem for you - you still can assign component/coax to TV/SAT. Just not HDMI (so don't switch cable box to HDMI).

Even more annoying is that TV will switch to internal tuner whenever you turn off your blueray player. That can be cured by disabling HDMI-CEC on the blueray player side (but then 1020 will not automatically switch to BD input when you start blueray playback).

So it is kinda workable, as long as you're not using "all HDMI" setup. Ironical isn't it...
post #816 of 4580 Old 06-14-2010, 01:04 PM

i dont see near as many complaints on my 1020 as my old hk 247, i love all the features, love how it powers my klipsch rf-63 system and sub-12. the hdmi switching and learning with my tv and devices like ps3/blu ray really is a plus, internet radio havent quite figured out how to add stations yet.
post #817 of 4580 Old 06-14-2010, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Hi all,
Let me state right off that I am very happy with my 1020!
It does everything that I need and want it to do, Today and hopefully in the Future!
It's so much better than my old Sony ever was!
It is in my Bedroom with my LG32LCD TV, Surround Speakers in my HeadBoard.
The Surround took some getting used too at first because my old Sony just mimicked Surround, it was more like "Ext. Stereo" where all speakers were live, but not "REAL" Surround!
I have Time Warner Cable "Everything" and even with Movie and Program Surround, there is Surround and then People, there is Surround!
Sometimes it just blows me away!
So, Yea the 1020 is a Great Box and I believe with time that will be a known fact. Just like the 1019 that everyone raved about.
But it is also dependent on what Quality of Audio Stream is thrown at it,
You have all heard of "GIGO" Garbage In, Garbage Out!"
Even with the less than stellar Audio stream's that it sometimes receives, I think that it does a Great job and is a Great Tool to give You the features needed to make the Bad sound Better and the Good to sound Great!

Sometimes I think that to be an Audiophile person can be a bit depressing, because nothing is ever good enough.
The Grass is always Greener on the other side!
I mean think of James Cameron and Avatar, can he ever really go into a Theater and just let himself be taken away by a movie, or is he always thinking about Technique and how that was done and or how he could've or Should've done that or this! He just can't help it! His Gift is what it is!
You and I though, can still very easily do that, we have not been tarnished to the intricacies of Movie Making, just the Joy of Movie Watching!

I think of people taking this unit back and chasing after another Receiver and then another, Whew, it makes me tired, always chasing after that magical setup. When the "Newer and/or Better" units are just around the corner, or last years models!!
Meanwhile I kinda chuckle and just relax a little more and let the 1020 immerse me in some Great Sounds!

I see people talk about the fact that it does not overlay Volume or Adjustments over the top of the TV Screen, P-L-E-A-S-E!
The only time that you even need that is at setup, I have not accessed the 1020's GUI after my first week except maybe a couple of times to modify an Input and why do I even need to see a Volume Bar?
I push the Volume up button and it gets louder and the same for the Volume Down Button.

Bottom line is,
"Rule number one is, don't sweat the small stuff. Rule number two is, it's all small stuff."

If it looks like a Dog and Barks like a Dog, it must be a Dog!
If it looks like a Pioneer Receiver and Sounds Great like a Pioneer receiver,
it must be a VSX 1020K! or in another month the VSX 1120K!

Enjoy everyone, Today is the tomorrow we worried about yesterday.

Peace Out!
Bud
post #818 of 4580 Old 06-14-2010, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Sometimes I think that to be an Audiophile person can be a bit depressing, because nothing is ever good enough.

Not depressing at all. There is always something better to look forward to in the future. It's the pollyannas who have it rough. If this is the best of all possible worlds, where can we go from here except down?

Greg Lee
post #819 of 4580 Old 06-14-2010, 04:22 PM

I just received my 1020-k last week and can't figure out how to configure my DEF TECH 7004s with LFE. I'm using the Full MCAA because I really don't understand the manual frequency adjustments. Can someone point me where to look (on the internet) to correctly adjust the speaker frequencies with this receiver or provide sample settings?

The IPOD integration is pretty neat. It surprised me that I was able to play a movie from my IPHONE through HDMI to the TV.
post #820 of 4580 Old 06-14-2010, 07:06 PM

Ok, so maybe I'm the only one out there that has not found setting up the Pioneer VSX-1020-K easy. I'm not an audio or videophile, therefore at the risk of being thrown under the bus with some pretty basic setup questions who out there has some time to help me? To start out with here are the Home Theater components I'm setting up with this receiver:

Blue Ray Player: LG BD590
TV: LG 60PK950 Plasma
Speakers: Definitive Technology ProCinema 800 Black
Motorola (Time Warner) Cable box

Connecting the equipment as outlined on page 23 of the manual I hooked up the TV via the HDMI out on the receiver along with the optical digital connection. I connected the Blue Ray Player into the BD In. From there I hooked up the cable box into the HDMI In 1 (with the coaxial cable running from the box to the TV).

After this I set up the 5.1 surround system as outlined in the manual and calibrated the speakers using the auto MCACC setup. All was well up to this point. So now I'm stuck. I get no signal on the TV. The only way I was able to get a video signal with this setup was by going into the TV input list and instead of picking the HDMI 1 (the HDMI In from the receiver) I picked the cable coaxial input. So getting frustrated after looking through this manual many times to figure out what I set up wrong I switched everything around. Now I have the cable box running to the TV via HDMI and coaxial cable. The Blue Ray is also connected via HDMI into the TV. From the TV I still have the optical digital connection and the HDMI cable set up as before. With this set up I have great HD TV, great surround sound, and use of the Blue Ray Player.

So what did I do wrong? This manual is crazy.
post #821 of 4580 Old 06-14-2010, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reparto Corse View Post

Ok, so maybe I’m the only one out there that has not found setting up the Pioneer VSX-1020-K easy. I’m not an audio or videophile, therefore at the risk of being thrown under the bus with some pretty basic setup questions who out there has some time to help me? To start out with here are the Home Theater components I’m setting up with this receiver:

Blue Ray Player: LG BD590
TV: LG 60PK950 Plasma
Speakers: Definitive Technology ProCinema 800 Black
Motorola (Time Warner) Cable box

Connecting the equipment as outlined on page 23 of the manual I hooked up the TV via the HDMI out on the receiver along with the optical digital connection. I connected the Blue Ray Player into the BD In. From there I hooked up the cable box into the HDMI In 1 (with the coaxial cable running from the box to the TV).

After this I set up the 5.1 surround system as outlined in the manual and calibrated the speakers using the auto MCACC setup. All was well up to this point. So now I’m stuck. I get no signal on the TV. The only way I was able to get a video signal with this setup was by going into the TV input list and instead of picking the HDMI 1 (the HDMI In from the receiver) I picked the cable coaxial input. So getting frustrated after looking through this manual many times to figure out what I set up wrong I switched everything around. Now I have the cable box running to the TV via HDMI and coaxial cable. The Blue Ray is also connected via HDMI into the TV. From the TV I still have the optical digital connection and the HDMI cable set up as before. With this set up I have great HD TV, great surround sound, and use of the Blue Ray Player.

So what did I do wrong? This manual is crazy.

Hi Reparto Corse, I'm confused about the cable box hook up (in bold). Why two types of connection (HDMI and coaxial)? And what model is the Motorola Cable Box? Are you running an antenna to the cable box?

With the first hook up, Blu-ray Player to BD Input and HDMI out to Tv, was there no video also?
post #822 of 4580 Old 06-14-2010, 08:04 PM

First, get your cable box to work over HDMI directly to TV first. Get rid of that coax. Once you know box is talking to TV over HDMI, then run it through the receiver.

Then keep in mind that Pioneer's switching/input assignment design can be confusing. For a start, make sure you actually select correct HDMI input (by pressing HDMI button on the remote as many times as it takes to cycle through list). Do not use input re-assignment until you get that basic switching going.

Once that works too, disable HDMI-Control in the settings, and now you can re-assign your HDMI inputs to desired buttons, like TV/SAT.
post #823 of 4580 Old 06-14-2010, 08:17 PM

The cable box is a Motorola HD Dual Tuner DVR DCH6416. I have the cable running from this box to the TV and the set up as I thought I was to follow on page 23 has a HDMI connection running from the Box the the receiver (HDMI In 1). Now though just the cable connection from the box to the TV and the HDMI connection from the box to the TV too. I'm guessing now I should just be using the HDMI cable from the box to the TV.
post #824 of 4580 Old 06-14-2010, 08:22 PM

Quote:

First, get your cable box to work over HDMI directly to TV first. Get rid of that coax. Once you know box is talking to TV over HDMI, then run it through the receiver.

Then keep in mind that Pioneer's switching/input assignment design can be confusing. For a start, make sure you actually select correct HDMI input (by pressing HDMI button on the remote as many times as it takes to cycle through list). Do not use input re-assignment until you get that basic switching going.

Once that works too, disable HDMI-Control in the settings, and now you can re-assign your HDMI inputs to desired buttons, like TV/SAT.

Thanks, I will try this and let you know how this goes.
post #825 of 4580 Old 06-14-2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:

oh thank you! It works. I'll work on re-assigning the HDMI inputs tomorrow.
post #826 of 4580 Old 06-14-2010, 08:59 PM

I'm very happy with my VSX-1020. Here is a picture. I have it setup in the master bedroom with a 52in Sharp LCD. I have since replaced the sub. I'm still happy with the sound from my old Polks. My front and rears are about 10ft away. Better here than in the living room where the rear speaker were right behind the couch.
LL
post #827 of 4580 Old 06-14-2010, 09:38 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

How about DRC (dynamic range compression), maybe its set to midnight mode.

I had DRC turned to auto on the AVR so I changed that to off (it is off on the PS3 I use). Problem still exists (certain machine gun fire and actor shouting during intense war scenes are noticably reduced in volume and seem nearly muted for a few seconds and then the audio gets normal again). After playing with this some more I notice that the problem kicks in at around -9dB volume. Also, when the shouting is noticably reduced it seems that the rear channels are louder than normal at times. Anyone else have any clues on what the issue is??? We had been doing some troubleshooting on the previous page of this forum and had not solved the issue.

Is this an issue with the power output on the receiver?

Thanks again for the help guys!

Sharp LC-80LE844U
Denon AVR-3312CI
Denon DBT-1713UD
Toshiba HD-A35
Sony Playstation 3
Canton MOVIE150SIL
post #828 of 4580 Old 06-15-2010, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

see if your tv volume is on too.

i have checked that to and its not on it must be a setting somewhere

thanks
Jon
post #829 of 4580 Old 06-15-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mogwai72 View Post

i have checked that to and its not on it must be a setting somewhere

thanks
Jon

Jon, a few questions.

Do you have line level speaker feeds running from the receiver to the sub then to the speakers?
If so, you need the front speakers set to large and subwoofer set to none. I had a polk audio system that was created this way. If I ran the speakers directly to the avr the system sounded much like you describe because of missing frequencies.

If speakers are run from avr and the sub is fed with a preout connection, set the crossover as high as it can go (speakers set to small) and try the sub with either plus or just on. Plus may be the better option.

I would almost bet the way you are set up now you are missing frequencies either do to the filter in the speakers or the sub setup with the avr.
post #830 of 4580 Old 06-15-2010, 07:11 AM
Advanced Member

I think I accidentally posted this question in the wrong thread initially, so here goes:
I am in need of an new receiver as I seem to have long since run out of HDMI ports on my Onkyo TX-SR605. I am impressed by the feature set of the VSX-1020-K and also ready to try a new brand as there have been nothing but problems with model after model from Onkyo recently.
I have to admit- I'm a video guy, not an audio guy. I have some appreciation for the finer things in audio and I can pick out the difference between, for instance, a DD5.1 and a TrueHD track, but my knowledge of audio pales in comparison to my knowledge of video. So I was hoping for some expert assistance. :-)
What I need to know is this- Will the VSX-1020-K be able to put out the same or similar volume level in my 12'x16'x10' theater room as the Onkyo TX-SX605 without thinning out? I do push the Onkyo a bit sometimes- especially on lossless tracks as they tend to be quieter- and usually operate in the 65 to 70 volume range on the Onkyo (I believe that Pioneer uses an entirely different scale.)
If it can, then I may be sold, but I am concerned as I've heard so much about how much more the new Onkyo's amps draw than the Pioneer and don't know that they've increased that much since my 605. I sometimes feel that my 605 is under-powered and don't want to get stuck with a turkey.
I appreciate any input.
Thanks!
post #831 of 4580 Old 06-15-2010, 07:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Why doesn't this receiver have ARC?

Isn't that part of the HDMI 1.4a standard?
post #832 of 4580 Old 06-15-2010, 07:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps24eva View Post

Why doesn't this receiver have ARC?

Isn't that part of the HDMI 1.4a standard?

Yes but manufacturers are not required to implement it, see FAQ for HDMI 1.4

Are manufacturers required to implement all of the new HDMI 1.4 features?
No. HDMI technology is designed to enable a wide variety of manufacturers in different markets to implement the feature sets that work best for their customers.

How will I know which HDMI 1.4 features are implemented in a device?
Shop for the specific features that interest you, rather than shopping for an HDMI version number and assuming that a certain feature is supported. Since many of the capabilities detailed in the HDMI 1.4 specification are optional implementations, it's the responsibility of the manufacturer to tell you what features are supported in any given device.
post #833 of 4580 Old 06-15-2010, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

And one other question, in addition to the above, to help me decide between a Onkyo TX-SR608 and the Pioneer VSX-1020-K.
I've heard some conflicting reports of whether the Pioneer will upscale various sources. The product literature states that the Pioneer will upconvert all sources to HDMI and then upscale all sources to 1080p.
I hope that someone can test this or confirm one way or the other from experience- it seems agreed that if I connect an composite or component video source (say a Wii via component video and a Laserdisc player via composite video) they will be upconverted for output via HDMI and then de-interlaced/upscaled to 1080p prior to output. Correct?
So, if I hook up my region-free DVD player via HDMI & output source direct @ 480i (in order to take advantage of the Pioneer's superior video processing), will it be upscaled to 1080p prior to output?
I'll be honest, I'm really hesitant to purchase the Pioneer as I'm not sure that it will have all the "oomph" that I'm accustomed too, have heard about the "lighter" build quality in comparison to Onkyos/Denons and am fearful that it won't upscale all my sources to 1080p from some of the mixed reviews that I have read. (I've hoped to be able to simplify my setup as I'm running a plasma and a projector and would like to eliminate some of the complexities.) The Onkyo does everything that I want it to do plus has the addition of the great on-screen GUI, but the core video processing (Farjouda) just isn't as good and the video-processing "bugs" are really scaring me off and that's what has me seriously considering the Pioneer.
Thanks!
post #834 of 4580 Old 06-15-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Yes but manufacturers are not required to implement it, see FAQ for HDMI 1.4

Are manufacturers required to implement all of the new HDMI 1.4 features?
No. HDMI technology is designed to enable a wide variety of manufacturers in different markets to implement the feature sets that work best for their customers.

How will I know which HDMI 1.4 features are implemented in a device?
Shop for the specific features that interest you, rather than shopping for an HDMI version number and assuming that a certain feature is supported. Since many of the capabilities detailed in the HDMI 1.4 specification are optional implementations, it’s the responsibility of the manufacturer to tell you what features are supported in any given device.

I was under the impression the 1020 did support the ARC, what makes you think it doesnt??
post #835 of 4580 Old 06-15-2010, 08:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfdjr1 View Post

I was under the impression the 1020 did support the ARC, what makes you think it doesnt??

I'm not saying 1020 doesn't support it, was posting for the 2nd question, sorry for not being clear.
post #836 of 4580 Old 06-15-2010, 08:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfdjr1 View Post

I'd be curious to see if anyone has ARC working. If so is it only with Pio TV's? The reason I am doubtful that it works are these snippets from the Operating Instructions p65.

The synchronized operations below can be
used when the receiver’s Control with HDMI
function is connected to a TV of a brand other
than Pioneer
that supports the Control with
HDMI function. (Depending on the TV,
however, some of the Control with HDMI
functions may not work.)
• When the TV’s power is set to standby, the
receiver’s power is also set to standby.
(Only when the input for a component
connected to the receiver by HDMI
connection is selected or when watching
the TV)
• The sound of TV programs or an external
input connected to the TV can also be
output from the speakers connected to the
receiver. (This requires connection of an
optical digital cable, etc., in addition to the
HDMI cable.)

post #837 of 4580 Old 06-15-2010, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

I have read in multiple places this receiver does NOT have ARC.
post #838 of 4580 Old 06-15-2010, 10:08 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin57 View Post

I'm very happy with my VSX-1020. Here is a picture. I have it setup in the master bedroom with a 52in Sharp LCD. I have since replaced the sub. I'm still happy with the sound from my old Polks. My front and rears are about 10ft away. Better here than in the living room where the rear speaker were right behind the couch.

You can find a piano black face plate for the xbox to match your other boxes. I did so. I wish the Wii had face plates.
post #839 of 4580 Old 06-15-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunsmoker View Post

You can find a piano black face plate for the xbox to match your other boxes. I did so. I wish the Wii had face plates.

I have my eye on one of those new black Xbox's being released later this year.
post #840 of 4580 Old 06-15-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin57 View Post

I have my eye on one of those new black Xbox's being released later this year.

Not to be off-topic, but it was just announced at E3 and is already shipping:

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/14/s...y-looks-angul/

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page