post #901 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndsparks View Post

Can I set the reciver to pass through video for my HDMI connected devices?

Could you please describe how you want it to work (since I am uncertain about the interpretation of "pass through video")?

Greg Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by apbling View Post

lol, that's what I was worried about...
So, I should be able to turn the receiver on without the TV on, correct? Is there something I am missing? I just went into the receiver menu and turned the control off, and it "greyed" out the other options below it. I also made sure the display power off thing was deactivated.

Would the fact that I haven't done any input assigning or GUI speaker setup have anything to do with it? It was getting late by the time I got everything hooked up and I just want to turn it on to make sure things worked.

Once again, I apologize for my lack of knowledge (I don't have the manaul in front of me right now either). I used to be good at this sort of stuff....

I figured it out! Turns out it wasn't anything to do with any of the my equipment, but my surge protector. I have a monster power surge protector with some "green" outlets that are supposed to reduce power usage when the devices are turned off. Well, it sensed my TV being turned off, so it cut the power to the other sources, hence me not being able to turn anything on. I think I'm going to bring that surge protector back for something else.
post #903 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee View Post

Before the PS3 "Slim" model, PS3 could only send the advanced codec sound over HDMI as PCM. For the "Slim" model, see my post #762 above in this thread. I use digital optical cable for xbox360, which works okay for 5.1 --- if that's what you were using before, you might go back to it, but I don't know what might be going wrong with your xbox360 sound.

I have a similar issue. I played 360 last night and it was coming in I think in Digital, but my blu ray player was only doing PCM... I had all the settings set to DTS digital on my blu ray player. I am using HDMI for both the blu ray and xbox.
post #904 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:

Before the PS3 "Slim" model, PS3 could only send the advanced codec sound over HDMI as PCM. For the "Slim" model, see my post #762 above in this thread. I use digital optical cable for xbox360, which works okay for 5.1 --- if that's what you were using before, you might go back to it, but I don't know what might be going wrong with your xbox360 sound.

Thanks Greg. I'm not entirely sure then about the PS3 advanced audio codecs. How does one pass the HD audio to the receiver from the PS3 if an HDMI cable doesn't do it? The PS3 is certainly recognizing and encoding it according to the data shown on screen when I press "Display." Toslink won't work, either, obviously. Am I crazy or does seem broken?

I have some more testing around on the 360 this evening. I thought the problem was connected through the receiver.

It seemed easy in theory. Everyone uses HDMI to the receiver and the correct audio & video formats are detected. Life is never easy as theory.
post #905 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 07:43 AM

I have a quick question.

I am far from being finished programming my remote control. Is there a way to make it so that when you press the input button it does not turn the source on and off? I would like to be able to use the top row of buttons to switch between my Computer, PS3, and DVR, but I do not want them to turn on and off whenever I do this.

I would love to be able to have the remote actually CONTROL my PS3 and Computer, but neither of them has an IR port . I may have to spend about $220 to purchase a Logitech Harmony One (150) a PS3 Adapter (40) and a tertiary PC remote control (30)...

Bummer...

So anyway, to reiterate my question is

Is there a way to make it so that when you press the input button it does not turn the source on and off?
post #906 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 07:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG13 View Post

How does one pass the HD audio to the receiver from the PS3 if an HDMI cable doesn't do it?

There's no other way. You probably are passing HD audio from the PS3 now over the HDMI cable, but it is being decoded to PCM first by the PS3. The receiver can't report on the original format of the audio signal, because the PS3 decoded it before it got to the receiver. But you're still hearing the HD audio. So there is no problem, essentially.

However, some find it more pleasing to see the receiver display the original audio format, and for that to happen, you have to tell the PS3 to not decode the sound, but rather to send it in the original coded form to the receiver and let the receiver decode it to PCM. Same result so far as the sound goes, but now the receiver knows what the original coded format was, so it can display that.

Earlier models of the PS3 were incapable of sending the audio HD signals over HDMI undecoded -- they have to decode it first. The PS3 Slim, though, gives you the choice between the two methods.

Greg Lee
post #907 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 09:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi Greg, check list: HDMI cable connection, BD Player Audio Output set to Bitstream, BD Player Secondary Audio set to Off and selected the right audio track in the movie menu.

Yup, as I stated it is hdmi with bitstream otherwise it would show pcm, not DTS correct? In the last test I selected dolby true hd, it showed DTS on the display. What is secondary audio, do you mean another language?

This was working in the Yamaha that had the exact same setup.
post #908 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 09:38 AM

I just bought this receiver to upgrade my 5.1 speaker system. So far I really like it but I have some questions. In the manual under HDMI connections it has a diagram that says you can operate the TV volume over the receiver. I hooked up an optical cable as shown in the diagram but no sound is coming from my television. Any suggestions?

I have never had a receiver with zone 2 capabilities so I also need some help there. The setup I would like to run would be to add 2 front height speakers and use the surround back terminals for some outdoor speakers I have yet to purchase. Will this setup work in particular with the front height speakers? The manual doesn't really show such a configuration. Thanks!
post #909 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog Ryder View Post

... you can operate the TV volume over the receiver. I hooked up an optical cable as shown in the diagram but no sound is coming from my television.

I'm not sure what you mean -- what diagram? (You can program the 1020 remote to control TV volume.) Is the optical cable you're referring to connected to the TV? That is probably an output from the TV for a signal from the TV tuner; its volume wouldn't be controlled by the TV.
Quote:

The setup I would like to run would be to add 2 front height speakers and use the surround back terminals for some outdoor speakers I have yet to purchase.

No. Front height and back surround speakers can't produce sound simultaneously.

Greg Lee
post #910 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 11:44 AM

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean -- what diagram? (You can program the 1020 remote to control TV volume.) Is the optical cable you're referring to connected to the TV? That is probably an output from the TV for a signal from the TV tuner; its volume wouldn't be controlled by the TV.

This is from page 23 in the manual (diagram not included):

Connecting your TV and playback components
Connecting using HDMI
If you have an HDMI or DVI (with HDCP) equipped component (BD: Blu-ray disc player, etc.), you
can connect it to this receiver using a commercially available HDMI cable.
If the TV and playback components support the Control with HDMI feature, the convenient
Control with HDMI functions can be used (see Control with HDMI function on page 62).
For input components, connections other
than HDMI connections are also possible
(see Connecting your DVD player with no
HDMI output on page 25).
If you want to listen to the sound of the TV
over the receiver, connect the receiver and
TV with audio cables

In the diagram with HDMI connection it tells you to choose between component cables or an optical cable for this setup.
post #911 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 11:52 AM

Quote:

I don't really care about the zone speakers (surround back) and the front height speakers working at the same time because I would be outside when zone 2 would be on. I was just intrested in beefing up my mancave with the 2additional front height speakers. If zone 2 is not selected the front height speakers would still not work? I'm sorry but like I said before I'm new to this multi zone stuff. Thanks!
post #912 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If you want to listen to the sound of the TV
over the receiver, connect the receiver and
TV with audio cables

In the diagram with HDMI connection it tells you to choose between component cables or an optical cable for this setup.

That audio connection is for the signal from your TV tuner that you want your receiver to amplify, so it is the receiver volume control you would use to change its volume, not the TV volume control. It's an output from the TV to an input of the receiver. If I understood you, you were thinking it was an output from the receiver to the TV.

Greg Lee
post #913 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If zone 2 is not selected the front height speakers would still not work?

If you mean selected by the ZONE 2 key on the remote, I think not, though I have not experimented with zone 2. As I interpret the manual, on the Speaker System menu, "Normal(SB/FH)" and "ZONE 2" are mutually exclusive settings. I suppose, though, you could change back and forth between these Speaker System settings. It doesn't seem to be a way Pioneer thought you would want to use the receiver.

Greg Lee
post #914 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 12:53 PM

You've been a great deal of help GregLee. That sounds like the problem I've having with my PS3. I'll test around with it this evening.

ased on what you're saying, PCM is fine in this instance because the PS3 is doing the work for the receiver. The audio quality/bitrate should still be correct, though.

This leads me to believe the 360 issue is separate & different, but that helps me narrow down the problem. Thanks again!
post #915 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 06:14 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Has anyone figured out how or if this thing can "shuffle" the contents of a USB music stick(A USB drive with music on it)? I used the USB for the first time this weekend(what a joy not to have to replace CDs when the 5 disc changer ran out), and could not figure out(even after looking at the manual) how to make it shuffle the songs, ya know random play.
post #916 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

original aspect ratio

your tv's 4:3 is probably the culprit

Quote:
Originally Posted by milehighxr View Post

I understand about the black bars. I am trying to shut off the Pioneers video converter.

So there is no way to shut off the video converter, and run the signals from my DTV HR22, and not have this thing flicker?
post #917 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:

Could you please describe how you want it to work (since I am uncertain about the interpretation of "pass through video")?

My assumption would be no upconversion. I have been suffering an issue of when setting it to "Pure" it flickers on all 480p/i signals from my DTV HR22. I still can't figure out how to shut of the video converter. See my previous posts.
post #918 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I have been suffering an issue of when setting it to "Pure" it flickers on all 480p/i signals from my DTV HR22. I still can't figure out how to shut of the video converter.

I don't know. However, I used my 1020 for output of my H21 when I had that, and now for output of my HR24. I never saw any flicker. Now, I have my HR24 set to Native = OFF, so that it upscales, and resolution = 1080i, with the 1020 set to upscale to 1080p (in effect, since it always sees a 1080i signal, to deinterlace). Maybe some fiddling with the settings of your HR22 would help.

Greg Lee
post #919 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 08:43 PM

Does anyone know where I can download the iPhone app?
Is it via the App Store or is there an HTTP download via the web?
post #920 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 08:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by blahblahyoutoo View Post

Does anyone know where I can download the iPhone app?
Is it via the App Store or is there an HTTP download via the web?

I don't have an iphone, but as far as I know all apps come from the apps store. Have you looked?
post #921 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:

I don't know. However, I used my 1020 for output of my H21 when I had that, and now for output of my HR24. I never saw any flicker. Now, I have my HR24 set to Native = OFF, so that it upscales, and resolution = 1080i, with the 1020 set to upscale to 1080p (in effect, since it always sees a 1080i signal, to deinterlace). Maybe some fiddling with the settings of your HR22 would help.

I'll have to look. Are there any good manuals fro these deeper settings on the HR22? How about getting the video of it digitally so I can put it on DVD without having to watch every hour. There's some content I want to keep, and I don't wanna buy an external HDD for it yet.

How do you like the HR24? Would it be a worthwhile upgrade for me?
post #922 of 4580 Old 06-24-2010, 09:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Are there any good manuals fro these deeper settings on the HR22? How about getting the video of it digitally so I can put it on DVD without having to watch every hour.

There might be some documentation somewhere on dbstalk.com. The Native setting I referred to and related settings are visible in the System Setup > HDTV submenus.

There are security measures to prevent us from making digital copies on DVD, though I guess they can't stop us from digitizing component video. I don't know anything further about this.

I like the HR24 a lot, because it's reasonably responsive (at least in contrast to the other receivers, which are unreasonably sluggish).

Greg Lee
post #923 of 4580 Old 06-25-2010, 03:28 AM

Quote:

If you mean selected by the ZONE 2 key on the remote, I think not, though I have not experimented with zone 2. As I interpret the manual, on the Speaker System menu, "Normal(SB/FH)" and "ZONE 2" are mutually exclusive settings. I suppose, though, you could change back and forth between these Speaker System settings. It doesn't seem to be a way Pioneer thought you would want to use the receiver.

I called pioneer support yesterday and they confirmed that this will work. I still can't figure out why I have no sound coming from my television speakers. I have removed the optical connection and nothing is left except HDMI cables. I went to a friends house yesterday and he has an onkyo 7200 htib hooked up with HDMI cables and he has sound on both his television and receiver. Is this not possible with the pioneer?
post #924 of 4580 Old 06-25-2010, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

... he has sound on both his television and receiver. Is this not possible with the pioneer?

There is an audio option HDMI=through, which tells the receiver to send audio on to the TV rather than playing it. Also, your TV probably has inputs for external audio, and you could connect those to some audio outputs from the receiver or from your satellite box. I guess. I don't ever want to hear sound from my TV, so I've never tried this.

Greg Lee
post #925 of 4580 Old 06-25-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG13 View Post

You've been a great deal of help GregLee. That sounds like the problem I've having with my PS3. I'll test around with it this evening.

ased on what you're saying, PCM is fine in this instance because the PS3 is doing the work for the receiver. The audio quality/bitrate should still be correct, though.

This leads me to believe the 360 issue is separate & different, but that helps me narrow down the problem. Thanks again!

So the other night I was watching a Bluray and it was reading PCM. After some research, I have un-bunched my undies about this. Now last night, I was watching a DVD (Family Guy) on my bluray player, and the receiver was reading it in Digital! Does this make sense?
post #926 of 4580 Old 06-25-2010, 08:18 AM

Quote:

There might be some documentation somewhere on dbstalk.com. The Native setting I referred to and related settings are visible in the System Setup > HDTV submenus.

There are security measures to prevent us from making digital copies on DVD, though I guess they can't stop us from digitizing component video. I don't know anything further about this.

I like the HR24 a lot, because it's reasonably responsive (at least in contrast to the other receivers, which are unreasonably sluggish).

I tried changing it Native to off on the DVR, and no change. I am thinking that because my TV is too stupid to talk to the receiver over the DVI-HDMI link(ya know DVI is one way communication) that the receiver cannot verify that my TV will support 480i/p, 720p(no pic when receiver set to 720p manually) and 1080i, that it just upconverts to 1080i(as I have this set manually).
post #927 of 4580 Old 06-25-2010, 08:29 AM

I bought this receiver about a week ago - setup my ATT UVerse DVR and DVD player via HDMI 2 & 1 respectively - had everything working great until last night when I lost audio for everything... even the tuner will not play. The speakers are on (SP A), I have reset all factory defaults and reconfigured to my original set-up, and reseated all cables and speaker wire. The only thing I can tell that is different is that I no longer see my speaker config lit on the display. I have a very basic speaker config, just using LF, C, RF and sub woof. I am at a point where I think something is wrong with the receiver rather than the set-up. Any ideas?
post #928 of 4580 Old 06-25-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apbling View Post

So the other night I was watching a Bluray and it was reading PCM. After some research, I have un-bunched my undies about this. Now last night, I was watching a DVD (Family Guy) on my bluray player, and the receiver was reading it in Digital! Does this make sense?

Some Blu-ray players such as the PS3 can bit-stream dolby digtial and dts and this will allow the receiver to internally do the decoding which will reflect in the front LED of your receiver. In the case of the PS3 it cannot bit-stream DTS MA or Dolby True HD and as a result it sends HD audio already decoded to the receiver in LPCM format which is why you see PCM likely with movies that have HD audio decoding. I am making some assumptions but this sounds like your issue.

Mark.
post #929 of 4580 Old 06-25-2010, 08:42 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 91
Quote:

I tried changing it Native to off on the DVR, and no change. I am thinking that because my TV is too stupid to talk to the receiver over the DVI-HDMI link(ya know DVI is one way communication) that the receiver cannot verify that my TV will support 480i/p, 720p(no pic when receiver set to 720p manually) and 1080i, that it just upconverts to 1080i(as I have this set manually).

the dvi link isn't your problem... edid information can be passed just fine that way...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #930 of 4580 Old 06-25-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

the dvi link isn't your problem... edid information can be passed just fine that way...

So than what is, because I have no options to turn off the video converter, or to pass the signal thru.

TV is connected to receiver with DVI/HDMI
DVR is connected to receiver with HDMI
DVD is connected to receiver with HDMI
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page