The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1020-K Owner's Thread - Page 34 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-07-2010, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkmunk View Post

for those of you with the 1020 that utilize its streaming capabilities, does it also stream mp3's via media player 12? I know alot of the other "network capable" receivers do this. If this is possible it's pretty much going to seal the deal on my purchasing of the 1020.

It does not do DLNA. It also doesn't do Pandora. I use my HTPC for these functions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2010, 08:51 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by jones4725 View Post

Hey there, I got the receiver a few weeks back and just updated my 3G iPhone to the 4.0 OS. I just got the "Connecting ..." message on my screen as I hooked up my phone for the first time. My wife's 3G 3.1.3 OS worked well. I just rebooted my phone and the second time I connected it, things came right up and I could play music. I was also thinking it was something w/ the OS and the receiver, but perhaps a simple phone reboot could help you out.

I tried this and it worked for about 30 minutes but then lost the device. Have you tried OS4 for any length of time playing through the 1020?
Old 07-07-2010, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Do you mean iOS4?

I ran my new iPhone 4 on my 1020 last night for several hours with no issues.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Do you mean iOS4?

I ran my new iPhone 4 on my 1020 last night for several hours with no issues.

Yes IOS 4 it appears that the 2g IPOD touches may have an issues with IOS4 and the 1020. I plan on restoring mine to factory settings and seeing if that helps it was new in September 09 so it is fairly recent Ipod.

Were you running music from MP3's or Pandora like app?
Old 07-07-2010, 12:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Pandora isn't supported from iPhone/iPod to 1020 AFAIK. I use my HTPC for Pandora anyway.

These were MP3s stored on the iPhone. I had it on Shuffle for a really long time. I'm estimating it was around 3 hours, if not more.
Old 07-07-2010, 12:22 PM

JChin,

Okay I tried what you suggested but HDMI Audio never came up on the display, about a dozen other adjustments were displayed but not that one.
Old 07-07-2010, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

Pandora isn't supported from iPhone/iPod to 1020 AFAIK. I use my HTPC for Pandora anyway.

These were MP3s stored on the iPhone. I had it on Shuffle for a really long time. I'm estimating it was around 3 hours, if not more.

I had pandora working fine on mine. It was when I switched to mp3's it started acting up.
Old 07-07-2010, 04:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked: 155
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickC3C4 View Post

JChin,

Okay I tried what you suggested but HDMI Audio never came up on the display, about a dozen other adjustments were displayed but not that one.

Hmm should be, try it with HDMI Control turned OFF also see page 67-69 in OM (this maybe why see note h on bottom of page 69)

Quote:

HDMI(h)
(HDMI Audio)
Specifies the routing of the HDMI audio signal out of this receiver
(amp) or through to a TV. When THROUGH is selected, no sound
is output from this receiver. (AMP or THROUGH)

Quote:

h.• HDMI Audio setting cannot be switched while performing synchronized amp mode operations.
• The synchronized amp mode must be turned on in order to play the receiver’s HDMI audio and video input signals
from the TV with the receiver’s power in the standby mode. See About synchronized operations on page 64.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:58 AM

JChin,

That makes sense, I'll try that and let you know.

I have another question. When "Control with HDMI" is turned on the receiver's power is automatically turned off when the TVs power is turned off. Is there a way to set this so when the TVs power is turned on the receiver's power is also automatically turned on?
Old 07-08-2010, 09:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

JChin,

That makes sense, I'll try that and let you know.

I have another question. When "Control with HDMI" is turned on the receiver's power is automatically turned off when the TVs power is turned off. Is there a way to set this so when the TVs power is turned on the receiver's power is also automatically turned on?

No, other receiver has the option of OFF and ON but this unit doesn't. Your Tv may have this feature but as mention before this HDMI-CEC feature can affect other settings and source.

IMO the best solution is a universal remote like Harmony.
Old 07-08-2010, 10:09 AM

I guess I didn't do enough research before I bought this. I bought this receiver as a package with the Pioneer BDP 320 and after I bought it I saw that Pioneer came out with the 330 which can actually stream Netflix videos and the 320 can't. Now I find out that this receiver won't do what I need and should have looked at another model. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

A universe remote won't solve my problem, I have my TV set to come on automatically in the morning and I use that as my alarm to get up but now the TV comes on but there's no video or sound until I turn the receiver on manually.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcklain View Post

Hey guys, I got my 1020 last week and everything seems to work ok except otwo things.

I cant seem to make the Internet radio work. I can open up the menu and see the default radio stations but I cant seem to browse them.

I even connected to the ip adress of my receiver on my pc and I see all the default stations there and when I click on the update button it says connecting... for like 1 sec and then the connecting button disapears.

Might be a router config maybe?

Second question would be about my Wii.

I connected it using component cable and stereo left and righ analog for sound.

Is there any special config I need to do to get pro logic II surround sound other than put surround in Wii config?

I only see stereo on my amp when playing on my Wii.

Thanks

Anyone??
Old 07-08-2010, 02:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:

I guess I didn't do enough research before I bought this. I bought this receiver as a package with the Pioneer BDP 320 and after I bought it I saw that Pioneer came out with the 330 which can actually stream Netflix videos and the 320 can't. Now I find out that this receiver won't do what I need and should have looked at another model. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

A universe remote won't solve my problem, I have my TV set to come on automatically in the morning and I use that as my alarm to get up but now the TV comes on but there's no video or sound until I turn the receiver on manually.

Firstly, be very pleased you did not get a 330. It's a sharp re-badge and not a fraction of the quality of the 320.

Secondly, you might be able to power the receiver via hdmi cec(control) so that when it is powerd on, the receiver comes on. Otherwise, just rely on the tv speakers.
Old 07-09-2010, 06:31 PM

hey guys,

I have a quick question. I have my pioneer 1020 hooked up to my ps3 via hdmi. I have my ps3 audio settings set to bitstream. When I watch a blu ray movie I get the lovely DTS HD master audio, or dolby HD showing up on my receiver. When I put in a game it always says PCM. Is that normal? The games I have been playing all say that they have DD on the box. The PCM sound also seems like it has a little re-verb on the sub.(or is that all in my head)???

Also is there any reason to actually put it on linear pcm over bitstream in the ps3 audio settings? I only have it set to bitstream so i can see what codec is running on the front of my Pioneer

Thanks!

Dave
Old 07-10-2010, 02:18 PM

I can't get the OSD / GUI to display on this receiver. It does display the setup menu when I press "Home Menu", but nothing comes on the TV screen when I press "Audio Paramter", or try to display the Internet Radio Station list etc...
The menus do come up on the receiver's screen, but not the TV.
My TV is a Sony KDL-55HX701, and yes, the receiver IS connected through HDMI.

Can anyone help?
Old 07-10-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyad View Post

I can't get the OSD / GUI to display on this receiver. It does display the setup menu when I press "Home Menu", but nothing comes on the TV screen when I press "Audio Paramter", or try to display the Internet Radio Station list etc...

Can anyone help?

Audio and video parameters have no GUI. Internet radio does, not sure why don't you see it.
Old 07-10-2010, 02:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyad View Post

Can anyone help?

Hi zyad, try pressing "Receiver" button and then "Audio Parameter" on the remote.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi zyad, try pressing "Receiver" button and then "Audio Parameter" on the remote.

Yes I was already doing that. Like I said, the functions come on the receiver's screen, but not the TV's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlish View Post

Audio and video parameters have no GUI. Internet radio does, not sure why don't you see it.

Yeah it doesn't show the internet radio GUI, and it doesn't show the IPhone one either.

I'm not sure what to think of this receiver.
Can someone who owns one help? What functions actually have a GUI interface? Internet Radio, Ipod/Iphone input, Setup Menu... what else?

This is frustrating. One of the reasons I bought this model was for the GUI because the receiver is out of sight in the room. I wanted to see the OSD on the TV, and now the only one that actually shows is the setup one, which is obviously hardly ever used.

Maybe there is some hidden setting to deacivate the GUI?
Old 07-10-2010, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Try playing a source and then try entering into Audio Parameter.

Or try resetting the receiver back to factory default.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Try playing a source and then try entering into Audio Parameter.

Or try resetting the receiver back to factory default.

I've been trying with my Cable Box (SA 8300HD PVR) and PS3, and nothing comes up.

I'll try a factory reset next... means having to re-do the MCACC setup again doesn't it?

Could it be my TV (not being able to decode the signal of the GUI over HDMI?). Doesn't really make sense, because the setup GUI works.
Old 07-10-2010, 03:41 PM

OK factory reset didn't work.

I'm beginnign to think it's my TV that can't decode it. But it doesn't seem likely and I really hope it isn't.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:03 PM

I'm stumped.
I think I'm going to return this and try it with another unit. Maybe mine is a lemon?!?!?
Doesn't make sense. Everything else works perfectly.
If anyone knows of this issue being common between a VSX-1020 and a Sony KDL55HX701
Old 07-10-2010, 05:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry about your problem zyad, do you happen to have another HDTV available to test?

Another suggestion, try using the other HDMI jacks on the receiver and also the Tv.

Or try reducing the resolution on your source to 1080i, 720p or even 480i.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:23 PM

Yeah I have a Sony projection set but it's all the way upstairs and it means having to disconnect everything (which I guess I would have to do to test another receiver anyway)...

If it is a compatibility issue with the TV, it'll really suck, because I really wanted the 1020... I don't want to switch the Onkyo 608 or another receiver... I like the features of the 1020
Old 07-10-2010, 05:32 PM

If you place the set-up microphone in a position that is off center from the center speaker, will the "sweet spot" now be where the microphone was placed instead of directly in front of the center speaker? In other words, if I had a sofa that directly faced the tv and main speakers and then had a love seat that was on the side of the sofa (forming a L shape) so that the love seat was on the side of the tv, does the sweet spot become the love seat if that is where you place your set up mic? I cannot imagine it does because there should always be a drop off in SQ when you move off-axis from your center, especially if you have a horizontal center. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:23 PM

Since yesterday Ive noticed that the blue light in middle of the receiver doesnt turn on anymore.....anyone have this problem? The audio and everything works fine but i noticed that blue light doesnt turn on anymore. Could something have gone wrong with my receiver? Thanks guys.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nokian93 View Post

Since yesterday Ive noticed that the blue light in middle of the receiver doesnt turn on anymore.....anyone have this problem? The audio and everything works fine but i noticed that blue light doesnt turn on anymore. Could something have gone wrong with my receiver? Thanks guys.

Internet radio and iPhone both have GUI. It will even show album art from your ID3 tags. Something is not right about your setup or this unit is broken.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:13 AM

^^Was that directed towards me?
Old 07-11-2010, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by nokian93 View Post

afraid pioneer's leds do not have the best failure rate. it might be the led just burned out. i am sure you can have it fixed under warranty or exchange if you're under 30 days from with a reputable dealer.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:57 AM

I'm a newbie that is looking to set up first HT system. I saw the Pioneer 1020, which seems to be the perfect AV Receiver for my needs. After lurking in this room for a couple of days, I'm not sure I'm smart enough to own one of these. Is it me or does the set up and work arounds seem awfully complicated.

Is there a comparable receiver that is any simpler? Denon 2310 or Yamaha 765? Or is it just the nature of the beast?
Thanks..by the way..you guys are so helpful