AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud B View Post

Quote:

Not so. I have a digital optical input assigned to HDMI 2.

That is very Strange....

Strange and untrue. I'm mistaken. I was thinking of the BD hdmi as being #1, but the BD input is not numbered. Actually, my optical input is associated with HDMI #1 (which I have connected to my DirecTV receiver) and the optical input is connected to my TV, so that I can get the TV sound routed through the AVR if I want by using the Signal Select button.

However, the TV/SAT input which I have set to Digital In = OPT-1 and HDMI Input = Input-1 could instead be set to HDMI Input = Input-2/3/4. So it seems to me I could associate an optical digital input with HDMI #2/3/4 if I wanted to (though I haven't actually tried it).

Greg Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1292 of 4548 Old 08-07-2010, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It seem that if signal is not with the codec all channel do not abilitate. Try to listen on 2.1 channel my cd music but no subwoofer, and if signal is prologic not all channel lit up on display nor subwoofer works, any help will be appreciated
post #1293 of 4548 Old 08-07-2010, 06:45 PM

Guys, I just hooked up my Pioneer VSX-1020-K and love the immediate sound improvements to my existing system. Things "just worked" on setup and that makes me feel good.

Unfortunately I was unable to find a rear connection for my Sennheiser RS120 Wireless Headphones. The connection is analog (Red and Black) which usually plugs into the audio out on my TV (Red and White). It looks like the only option on my receiver is the front headphone port (I have a converter to headphone jack). I want this permenantly attached and not on the front. Their has to be a way to get it to work connecting it in the rear.

Please help my fellow Pioneer VSX-1020-K buddies.
post #1294 of 4548 Old 08-07-2010, 07:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguy07 View Post

Guys, I just hooked up my Pioneer VSX-1020-K and love the immediate sound improvements to my existing system. Things "just worked" on setup and that makes me feel good.

Unfortunately I was unable to find a rear connection for my Sennheiser RS120 Wireless Headphones. The connection is analog (Red and Black) which usually plugs into the audio out on my TV (Red and White). It looks like the only option on my receiver is the front headphone port (I have a converter to headphone jack). I want this permenantly attached and not on the front. Their has to be a way to get it to work connecting it in the rear.

Please help my fellow Pioneer VSX-1020-K buddies.

Hi pcguy07, use Zone 2 out but your sources will need an analog connections to the receiver in addition to the digital connections.
post #1295 of 4548 Old 08-07-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi pcguy07, use Zone 2 out but your sources will need an analog connections to the receiver in addition to the digital connections.

So, if I connect the Wireless Headphones to Zone 2 Out and connect an analog connection from my receiver to my TV, Satelite and Bluray then it should work?
post #1296 of 4548 Old 08-07-2010, 07:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So, if I connect the Wireless Headphones to Zone 2 Out and connect an analog connection from my receiver to my TV, Satelite and Bluray then it should work?

Yes, connect RS120 to Zone 2 Out, connect Satelite and Blu-ray player via HDMI and Analog cables to receiver.
post #1297 of 4548 Old 08-07-2010, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Yes, connect RS120 to Zone 2 Out, connect Satelite and Blu-ray player via HDMI and Analog cables to receiver.

Worked great. I figured out I also needed to turn Multi-zone function on and set audio to connection with analog input. Thanks alot JChin.
post #1298 of 4548 Old 08-07-2010, 09:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Worked great. I figured out I also needed to turn Multi-zone function on and set audio to connection with analog input. Thanks alot JChin.

Thats great, glad to help, enjoy.
post #1299 of 4548 Old 08-08-2010, 03:41 AM

Back on page 24, someone asked about the AS-BT100. I just received my 1020 a couple days ago and the BT100 today (from the Amazon of $439 for both). I played with it a bit tonight and my overall impression is it's cool to have, but it wouldn't be a big deal if I didn't have it.

PROS:
  • No problem connecting and streaming from my old Android device (T-Mobile G1). Just went into System Setup - Other Setup - Pair Bluetooth, then found the device listed in my phone and connected to it.
  • Started playing music in the Meridian music player and it just worked. Also played from the Pandora app with no problems. Being able to use Pandora without connecting an HTPC or something is the best use for this device (I don't have an iPod/iPhone/iPad/etc.).
  • The 1020's remote control can pause, stop, play, and skip tracks on my android device. Pretty cool!

CONS:
  • Distance is very limited. Sitting on my couch I'm probably only 12' away from the receiver and audio infrequently cuts out for a second or two, mostly when I handle the device, probably blocking an antenna. If I go closer, the audio doesn't cut out. As I move further away in the same room audio cuts in and out more, and at about 18' or so it becomes unusable.
  • Adapter's connector seems fragile and I'm worried that if I bump the adapter when reaching to make cable changes that it might break. Will need to remember to disconnect it before messing with things.

Questions:
  1. It doesn't seem that my subwoofer is being used when I play audio through the bluetooth adapter or other stereo sources. I have a 5.1 setup with in-wall left/right/center, so they don't have the best lower-end. Would like to still just use stereo, but add the sub as well. I have the same problem with playing other audio sources, such as a CD via HDMI1 connected to a DVD player and Internet Radio stations. If I switch surround modes, I can get other speakers to be used, but I just want the left/right/sub. Any ideas?
  2. How do I connect my MacBookPro to play DIVX, DVD, NetFlix, etc.? I've got a MonoPrice display adapter to HDMI, but it only sends video, not audio. I also have a monoprice mac/optical cable. If I disconnect the video, then I can hear the audio, but when the video is active, there is no audio. These same cables worked fine on an old Sony receiver I've been using. I've tried setting HDMI1 to use OPT-1 for audio, but it's not working. Maybe I'm not doing it right. Can someone walk me through how to do this?
  3. It seems that only HDMI1 can have a different audio source, is this correct? Can the other HDMI inputs or BD input work with other audio sources too?

Pretty happy with the 1020 so far, and mildly pleased with the BT100.

Tauren
post #1300 of 4548 Old 08-08-2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankdan View Post

I noticed that the sub doesn't come on when I'm playing music in stereo. I ended up switching to Neo:6 Music and now it plays, but not out of LS or RS. I want to hear all speakers but center (like i said, it sux). I read earlier about changing speaker "size" to activate sub in stereo mode, will give it a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

if you set your speakers to small, and use any mode other than "pure direct", your sub will get in on the action...

I used the auto speaker setup system with microphone to configure my 5.1 system. My front left and right are IW-8 in-wall speakers with 8" woofers and the IW-D5C center has two 5.25" woofers, all of them from the now defunct The Speaker Company. the rear IW-8 left/right surrounds have 8" woofers as well. I also have a TSC T-100 subwoofer with a 10" woofer.

I tried NEO:6 and other surround settings, but plain stereo sounded best. Actually, the "Retriever Air" mode sounds good for my BT-100 bluetooth audio. Although my L/R have decent bass on their own, I'd like to get my sub working with a stereo signal. So I want front left and right and sub going for music.

If I change their size to "small", will that adversely affect the sound for surround sound movies? This is in a home theater room, and the primary purpose is for movies, not listening to music. The automatic settings seem pretty good for movies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankdan View Post

I am also curious about a question that someone asked earlier. In a party situation, I would love to have a picture on the tv (movie/game) but play music from another source on receiver. With my old sony it was easy b/c I didn't run everything through it via HDMI. Optical from PS3 to receiver and single RCA cable from DVR to receiver. that way I could turn on tv and just switch receiver input to music source.

@dankdan: Did you solve this? The solution might help me get my MBP optical audio playing while showing the video from it via HDMI.

Tauren
post #1301 of 4548 Old 08-08-2010, 05:12 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowzator View Post

If I change their size to "small", will that adversely affect the sound for surround sound movies? This is in a home theater room, and the primary purpose is for movies, not listening to music. The automatic settings seem pretty good for movies.

no. it will make it better. for many reasons.

auto setup will almost always set speakers to large (due to the way the measurement system works, which if you really want to know i can explain a bit more )...

virtually ALL users will get "better" results by setting their speakers to "small"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1302 of 4548 Old 08-08-2010, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

auto setup will almost always set speakers to large (due to the way the measurement system works, which if you really want to know i can explain a bit more )...

Please explain.

Greg Lee
post #1303 of 4548 Old 08-08-2010, 09:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

sure.

essentially, the software is measuring the frequency response of your speakers... "most" speakers will have a -3db rolloff below the standard xover of 80 hz... because of convention set many years ago, it then decides "run these full range"... there's a bit more to it, depending on the flavor of room correction, but you can think of it in that way...

but in the "real world", there's several other factors that come into play...

- just because speakers "will" produce frequencies below the xover, doesn't mean they will product them "well"...

- for the great majority of users, their sub will do a "better" job of producing those low frequencies...

- for the great majority of users, the placement for "best bass" isn't the placement for "best imaging/soundstage" (especially in a common living room setting, with no treatments, etc.)... even if you have mains that reach quite low and do it well, it's unlikely that they will produce as good of a frequency response as even a shoddily placed sub...

there's more... but unless:

- you have mains with built in subwoofers

- you have speakers that will reach exceptionally low (and do it well), and have paid careful attention to placement and acoustic treatment... edit: and even in that case, i'd still (and do) use bass management for ht purposes...

you are virtually guaranteed to get better results by setting your speakers to small and using bass management...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #1304 of 4548 Old 08-08-2010, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

essentially, the software is measuring the frequency response of your speakers... "most" speakers will have a -3db rolloff below the standard xover of 80 hz... because of convention set many years ago, it then decides "run these full range"...

There's a convention to run them full range even though they would sound better set to "small"? I don't follow you. What convention?

I have my fronts set to "large" because of a special circumstance. The speaker wires to the fronts are also connected to the high-level inputs of my sub. It's a nice sub, but its line-level input stopped working. So I need to send bass to my fronts to get it to my sub.

Greg Lee
post #1305 of 4548 Old 08-08-2010, 10:25 AM

I haven't done this in 8 years so I feel a bit clueless wandering around these forums. Hopefully, I'm not out of line popping in here without being an owner and being as completely lost as I am.

If so, my apologies and some help on where to go would be very appreciated.

However, if this is all well and good, here's my situation: I'm currently with a Mits WS-73909 - it's an old CRT that served me a good 8 years but crapped out on me last weekend. Likely self-repairable, but I've just used it as an excuse to upgrade. Given that everything uses HDMI now, none of my equipment from my last build ever contained any HDMI connections (this was in Summer of 02), so I'm looking to upgrade my receiver as well.

I currently have a Denon AVR-4802 (spec sheet attached) and I'm looking at something from Pioneer, be it this model or the VSX-33.

I don't see that either Pioneer I am looking at would be wrong for the system, but I figured I'd ask the experts first before doing anything that might be damaging or under/over powered.

Thanks for the help!

AVR4802_projectsheet.pdf 176.158203125k . file
Attached Files
File Type: pdf AVR4802_projectsheet.pdf (176.2 KB, 1 views)
post #1306 of 4548 Old 08-08-2010, 10:28 AM
AVS Addicted Member

i have no idea "what person" decided that... it's the way it has always been... no, it was convention that they got "set" as large... as long as it's been that way, it has pretty much better for the home user to set them to "small"...

i know... it has no logic that they would use the terms in that way and set them that way if it was better the opposite way... but logic aside, it's the way it is...

the best thing that audyssey/mcacc/ypao/etc. could do for the home user is to set the default to small and the xover to 80, and make the user manually change them if they desire...

- chris

post #1307 of 4548 Old 08-08-2010, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
I just put the ipod/phone/pad app on my touch and it's pretty neat. If you haven't tried it yet, go get it! I wish it could control the internet radio stations, but I guess I can do that through safari...
post #1308 of 4548 Old 08-09-2010, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

I just put the ipod/phone/pad app on my touch and it's pretty neat. If you haven't tried it yet, go get it! I wish it could control the internet radio stations, but I guess I can do that through safari...

Are you having issues with the receiver staying connected on your home network?
post #1309 of 4548 Old 08-09-2010, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psykoboy2 View Post

I don't see that either Pioneer I am looking at would be wrong for the system, but I figured I'd ask the experts first before doing anything that might be damaging or under/over powered.

Thanks for the help!

This is a great receiver for getting all your non-HDMI sources over to your new TV on just one HDMI cable. It's a big part of what swayed me to get this receiver over the Denon.
post #1310 of 4548 Old 08-09-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladec View Post

So far no, it's much quicker than I expected. The router is about 2 feet from the receiver and I was in the same room, so it was a solid connection.
post #1311 of 4548 Old 08-09-2010, 07:42 PM

Hi AVS members,

My first post...

I have purchased the Mordaunt Short 5.1 Alumni speaker pack & I was wondering if I will have any problems when I've connected these to the Pioneer VSX-1020-k?

These speakers are rated 15-80 watts (RMS) & 4-8 ohms.

Thanks very much!

George
post #1312 of 4548 Old 08-09-2010, 09:11 PM

With the Bluetooth Adapter, is it possible to use Bluetooth Headphones to listen to audio from the 1020?

I know its a stretch, but couldn't find an answer in the forums or via google search.

Thanks in advance.
post #1313 of 4548 Old 08-10-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:

With the Bluetooth Adapter, is it possible to use Bluetooth Headphones to listen to audio from the 1020?

I know its a stretch, but couldn't find an answer in the forums or via google search.

Thanks in advance.

Although that would make total sense, I'm pretty sure it isn't possible. Both the AS-BT100 manual and the VSX-1020-K manual only discuss using the bluetooth adapter as a source device, not for output. I don't have bluetooth headphones, or I'd try it out, but I really don't think it will work.
post #1314 of 4548 Old 08-10-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ View Post

This is a great receiver for getting all your non-HDMI sources over to your new TV on just one HDMI cable. It's a big part of what swayed me to get this receiver over the Denon.

Yeah, I'm sort of a Denon fan, but really only because I have had that one for 8 years. Same reason I'm really only looking for a Mitsu display.

I'm really strange about brand loyalty, I should try and break that habit. And I actually may do that here going with one of these receivers.

Also, how do the speakers hold up with this receiver? I'm not much on the tech side of sound, but will it power what I have okay...is it too much, not enough?

Then there's this talk of ohms and I start getting nervous.
post #1315 of 4548 Old 08-10-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

get an hdmi signal booster. afraid you might find the same issue with other receivers.

Thanks for all the help.
Last night, I disabled deep color setting of PS3 (as suggested by JChin) and the video noise seems to be gone for 1080p.
post #1316 of 4548 Old 08-10-2010, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

How do you change VSX1020 internet radio station, which is playing, through safari?
post #1317 of 4548 Old 08-10-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:

[*]How do I connect my MacBookPro to play DIVX, DVD, NetFlix, etc.? I've got a MonoPrice display adapter to HDMI, but it only sends video, not audio. I also have a monoprice mac/optical cable. If I disconnect the video, then I can hear the audio, but when the video is active, there is no audio. These same cables worked fine on an old Sony receiver I've been using. I've tried setting HDMI1 to use OPT-1 for audio, but it's not working. Maybe I'm not doing it right. Can someone walk me through how to do this?

I was able to get this working by doing the following:
  • Press RECEIVER button on remote (the one with the square around it)
  • Press HOME MENU button on remote
  • Select System Setup
  • Select Input Setup
  • Press RIGHT button on remote until HDMI 1 is shown
  • Press DOWN button and select Digital In
  • Change Digital In to OPT-1
  • Exit by pressing HOME MENU button
  • Select HDMI-1 source by pressing HDMI button until it is selected
  • Press SIGNAL SEL button (has the number 4 on the button)

Now both audio from the Mac's toslink connection and video from the displayport/hdmi adapter will work together.

The strange thing is that it seems only HDMI 1 will work this way. No other HDMI ports allow you to change the Digital In.

I read somewhere in this forum that I could change the HDMI input on another source, such as TV/SAT, but none of my sources have the HDMI input option enabled, it is grayed out on all input options. Is there something I need to do to enable this option?

Tauren
post #1318 of 4548 Old 08-10-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karun View Post

How do you change VSX1020 internet radio station, which is playing, through safari?

First, find out what IP number your AVR has been given from your router. Go to HOME MENU - System Setup - Network Setup - IP Address to find it.

Then just go to that IP number in your browser. Click on the UPDATE button next to one of the 24 stations, and it should play.

You can also easily update the stations this way too.
post #1319 of 4548 Old 08-10-2010, 12:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I read somewhere in this forum that I could change the HDMI input on another source, such as TV/SAT, but none of my sources have the HDMI input option enabled, it is grayed out on all input options. Is there something I need to do to enable this option?

In the procedure you gave, instead of doing this:
Quote:

• Press RIGHT button on remote until HDMI 1 is shown

do this:
  • Press RIGHT button on remote until TV/SAT is shown

Greg Lee
post #1320 of 4548 Old 08-10-2010, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladec View Post

I am having issues with mine and trying to find out how prevelant the problem is....did you ask because you are having issues also?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page