post #121 of 4546 Old 05-02-2010, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post

Anyone know what kind of DAC this receiver uses?

No.

Greg Lee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 4546 Old 05-02-2010, 05:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I hope you mean hot #### .. what you said sounds like... so is this thing crap or what..?? It's only been out for a few weeks, don't think the ES websites going to have the info yet.. I thought the manual was on Pioneers website..??

Hot shite, yes. If I thought it was pooh I wouldn't be drooling over it. Local BB has it on the shelf, without a display. It's the first receiver I have seen under $600.00 that has Ethernet. Though if I can stream internet radio through a Wii, it might be moot anyhow. Apparently Wii will do Netflix now, so I'll have a potential option of downgrading one TV from DirecTV If I want.

Owners manual is on Pioneers website, and I apparently missed the page on the power usage . It is 16% more energy efficient than the Sony it will eventually replace.
post #123 of 4546 Old 05-02-2010, 06:50 PM

Picked one up from Best Buy on Friday to replace my HDMI-less Yamaha RX-V659. Smooth sailing so far. Not doing anything too fancy - 5.1 setup with Plasma, PS3, cable box, Wii and Roku. The OSD is nice but not really a big deal.

It doesn't feel like much of an upgrade as yet given my simple use case. Reduced clutter a little by removing a few cables (2x optical + 1 component) but otherwise it feels like more of the same. Biggest benefit is probably the front HDMI connection for when I want to hook up my laptop (a rare occurrence).
post #124 of 4546 Old 05-02-2010, 07:37 PM

In for one here also, Picked it up yesterday along with a psw111 sub for dirt cheap. Most likely i think im gonna return that sub and pick up some def tech pro monitor 800's for the rear surround. Still not sure, but anyways this receiver is slick. I love it, finally got rid of that piece of crap samsung hts-720 receiver i had. Now to slowly start replacing the speakers :-D
post #125 of 4546 Old 05-02-2010, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

check to make sure that the optical input you are using is assigned correctly to the "airport" input... also, if you have a hdmi port assigned to that input as well, use the "signal select" button on the remote control to tell the avr to get the audio from the optical port, rather than the hdmi port.... also make sure you are feeding the avr a file that it's happy with...

if none of the above works...

this is truly odd... i'm not doubting at all what you are seeing, but let's investigate this a little deeper... because if indeed this is true, "speaker b" is now essentially "zone 2", with the liability of not being able to play separate sources or have separate volume control (versus replicating "speaker a", which is the way this has worked forever)...

and there's no mention of it working any differently than in the past in the manual... of course, as we know, there are often undocumented "features" that are discovered once these are in the field...

after trying what i posted above, if it still doesn't work, post some pics of your input assignments, audio parameters and whatever else might seem useful...

you get to be the first "guinea pig"... aren't you the lucky one...

When I had the source set to the Airport I could hear sound from main front speakers but not the B speakers. I switched to iPod and heard sound from all.

I'll be out of town for the next couple of days. I'll try more options and post results with I get back.
post #126 of 4546 Old 05-02-2010, 10:16 PM

So finally got it all hooked up, and configured. My case was pretty simple. I had an old H/K AVR 35 (Which I loved), and am using this as my first stepping stone to HD. Plan on adding TV and BD sometime this year.

Well first off it blows my AVR 35 out of the water. It was a pretty decent receiver back in the day, but i never realized how much I was missing.

MCACC worked like a charm (I was used to having to set levels and delays manually) My only problem with it was that after MCACC, I felt that it was a little light on the bass notes. Since all of my speakers are large, It was trying to put all of the LFE for analog sources through the fronts. And while they are more than capable of handling most of it, the really low stuff <~80HZ, just didn't have much life. However, when I set my Sub from 'Yes' to 'Plus', it made a world of difference. The richness and liveliness from the low end that was missing was back and then some.

Otherwise I have only positive things to say. Connection was a piece of cake (although I haven't hooked up zone 2 yet), and so far everything works well. The 'Neural' mode for music is fantastic. I listened to several different types of music, and with each piece, I felt as if i was sitting with the band. The surround felt natural, not artificial or forced, and the audio imaging was superb. While certain features of the music were centered in one speaker or another, they blended across speakers smoothly. There was no jarring disconnect as my attention shifted around the sound stage.

So far so good. The only thing that i found kind of annoying is that digital sources aren't output to the analog out on the DVR/BDR output. I tried recording from an iPod and got nothing, but the analog signal from my Tivo worked just fine.

As far as the remote goes, its the first AVR remote that is actually useful. It had codes for most of my components, and was able to learn for the others. Plus I was able to mix and match. For example the Tivo code mostly worked, but there were a couple of buttons that weren't where i wanted them. I was able to learn over them, and put them where i wanted.

Can't speak too much to the video processing, as this was kind of the keystone that needed to get upgraded before anything else, but so far i am more than impressed with this device, and think it was well worth the money. So far it is everything I was looking for out of a mid level receiver!
post #127 of 4546 Old 05-02-2010, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

I don't understand why this is such a deal breaker for people? Its already confirmed the iPod works in Zone 2. How difficult is it to run analog RCA cables from your sources to the receiver? Pretty much all A/V receivers need analog connections for Zone2.

It would take me less than 5 minutes to connect all my devices via analog.

Your DVD player has red and white stereo outputs, so does your blu ray player (unless its a PS3), a CD player has them. Even a cable or sat box has them. The tuner already works in Zone2.

You don't need to disconnect your existing HDMI and optical/digital coax connections.

I've been doing this for 6 years with my HK receiver. Its not that big a deal.

Most people probably have the cables laying around the house. Stereo cables usually come in the box with new DVD, CD and BD players.

If you don't have any the cheap cables are less than $1 and the fancy ones cost just over $2.50.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

My blu-ray player is a PS3 and I don't have a seperate CD player. Also, the main audio source that I would be listening to on Zone 2/Speaker B uses Optical or Analog rca plugs but not both and the DAC in the AVR is far superior.
post #128 of 4546 Old 05-02-2010, 10:46 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonian View Post

I asked this question already but got no response one way or the other. One more try....Anyone know what kind of DAC this receiver uses? Thanks!

Pioneer has used the Wolfson WM8728 in the following receivers (and their equivalents) to the best of my knowledge:

WM8728

VSX:

1018AH
01TXH
03TXH
919AH-K
1019AH-K
21TXH
23TXH

years 2008-2009

My 919 and 01TXH sound great, the DAC's are excellent.
post #129 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 06:05 AM

Hi all,

I checked the manual for the 1020 but couldn't tell if I can drive my L/C/R which are 6 ohms and my LS/LB/RB/RS which are 8 ohms with this receiver?

Anybody know if I'll be ok doing this?

Thanks,
M

Eating humble pie....
post #130 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Curious how it sounds and thoughts on head room...
post #131 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 06:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqmzeea View Post

Hi all,

I checked the manual for the 1020 but couldn't tell if I can drive my L/C/R which are 6 ohms and my LS/LB/RB/RS which are 8 ohms with this receiver?

Anybody know if I'll be ok doing this?

Thanks,
M

Last year's corresponding model, the VSX-1019 had a setting for connecting 6 ohm speakers to the receiver. The 1020 should also be having it. Check the manual once again. It should mostly be written over there.
post #132 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 06:23 AM

On page 127 of the manual I found this:

Amplifier section
Continuous average power output of 80
watts* per channel, min., at 8 ohms, from
20 Hz to 20 000 Hz with no more than
0.08 %** total harmonic distortion.
Front (stereo) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .80 W + 80 W
Power output (1 kHz, 8 Ω, 0.05 %, 1 ch driven)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 110 W per channel
Guaranteed speaker impedance
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16 Ω to 8 Ω,
less than 8 Ω to 6 Ω (setting required)

It mentions here ^^^^^^ that a setting is required but there is no mention of this setting elsewhere in the manual. Is there something in the GUI that a proud new owner might be able to verify?

Thanks,
Mark

Eating humble pie....
post #133 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Curious how it sounds and thoughts on head room...

Ive been running it for 2 days and as much as i love the unit i have to say at this point i cant get it to sound as crisp as my Onkyo 607. Not sure what the deal is, ill give it some more tweaking but its missing that detail that i was used to with my 607.

The internet radio feature is awesome..but internet radio -even at 320kbps -sounds pretty muddy. but if i load mp3s into the usb it sounds as expected.
post #134 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fistula View Post

Ive been running it for 2 days and as much as i love the unit i have to say at this point i cant get it to sound as crisp as my Onkyo 607. Not sure what the deal is, ill give it some more tweaking but its missing that detail that i was used to with my 607.

The internet radio feature is awesome..but internet radio -even at 320kbps -sounds pretty muddy. but if i load mp3s into the usb it sounds as expected.

I'm in the same boat unfortunately. I've tried running the Full AUTO MCACC and saved the three different types (Symmetry, Front Focus, and ALL Channel) into different MCACC memory slots. If you hit the "MCACC" button on the remote, you can toggle between your saved profiles. Unfortunately, the best results come from slot 5 which doesn't have any calibration! LOL

Going to mess with REW 5 Beta soon and find out what the heck is going on.
post #135 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 06:56 AM

Still going through the manual.....

Can you run MCACC for Zone 2?

OR can I make EQ changes for Zone 2 that will not change the main zone?
post #136 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 07:05 AM

Sorry but cannot find this answer either.....

If I switch to zone 2 and adjust the volume then want to go back to the main zone using the remote how do I do that?

Sorry sounds dumb but this may help other dummies also
post #137 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 07:23 AM

Has anyone been able to find MCACC software for the PC that can read these files? The manual ays to get it from here (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...Custom+Install), but there isn't a section for the 1020. I tried downloading the v2.2 software from another model, but it can't read the file. I think it is looking for a CSV file, while this is a binary file.
post #138 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpastin View Post

Has anyone been able to find MCACC software for the PC that can read these files? The manual ays to get it from here (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...Custom+Install), but there isn't a section for the 1020. I tried downloading the v2.2 software from another model, but it can't read the file. I think it is looking for a CSV file, while this is a binary file.

I tried also and could not find the 1020....they wrote the manual a while ago but never placed the files on the website.....maybe a Pioneer rep will see this!
post #139 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 07:27 AM

I sent them an email, we'll see what I get in response...
post #140 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 08:25 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuHelp View Post

Still going through the manual.....

Can you run MCACC for Zone 2?

OR can I make EQ changes for Zone 2 that will not change the main zone?

no mcacc processing applied to zone 2...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #141 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 08:26 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqmzeea View Post

On page 127 of the manual I found this:

Amplifier section
Continuous average power output of 80
watts* per channel, min., at 8 ohms, from
20 Hz to 20 000 Hz with no more than
0.08 %** total harmonic distortion.
Front (stereo) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .80 W + 80 W
Power output (1 kHz, 8 Ω, 0.05 %, 1 ch driven)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 110 W per channel
Guaranteed speaker impedance
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16 Ω to 8 Ω,
less than 8 Ω to 6 Ω (setting required)

It mentions here ^^^^^^ that a setting is required but there is no mention of this setting elsewhere in the manual. Is there something in the GUI that a proud new owner might be able to verify?

Thanks,
Mark

mark... leave it on 8ohm unless the avr goes into thermal shutdown... you'll be fine...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #142 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 08:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelly_NV View Post

I'm in the same boat unfortunately. I've tried running the Full AUTO MCACC and saved the three different types (Symmetry, Front Focus, and ALL Channel) into different MCACC memory slots. If you hit the "MCACC" button on the remote, you can toggle between your saved profiles. Unfortunately, the best results come from slot 5 which doesn't have any calibration! LOL

Going to mess with REW 5 Beta soon and find out what the heck is going on.

Do you think mcacc is clipping the high frequencies? if you push it, +/-0db, does it the sound quality begin to distort?
post #143 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 09:22 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:

Do you think mcacc is clipping the high frequencies? if you push it, +/-0db, does it the sound quality begin to distort?

Seems like the "meat" of the speakers is missing. Something is fishy in the crossover region. Hoping to use REW to map things out and see the problem area on a plot.
post #144 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelly_NV View Post

Seems like the "meat" of the speakers is missing. Something is fishy in the crossover region. Hoping to use REW to map things out and see the problem area on a plot.

i know i might get stones thrown at me, but do you think it might be a power issue?
post #145 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilly77 View Post

Pioneer has used the Wolfson WM8728 in the following receivers (and their equivalents) to the best of my knowledge:

WM8728

VSX:

1018AH
01TXH
03TXH
919AH-K
1019AH-K
21TXH
23TXH

years 2008-2009

My 919 and 01TXH sound great, the DAC's are excellent.

Thanks!
post #146 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Historically, one should not rely on their receiver for video processing in most cases. Most tvs or source components (bdps) are superior in cadence recognition, edge enhancement, and deinterlacing.

Denon had the best video processors last year with the high end abt chip. Onkyo was closely behind in their higher end models with the reon hqv. marantz and last year's pioneers could only upscale analogue signals. The 1120 appears to be the first pioneer receiver to offer upscaling of digital signals with the marvell chip. The 1020 will only upscale analogue signals.

Once again, as a rule of thumb, worry more about the receiver passing through hdmi signals unmolested and less about video processing.

WINSTON (or other experts) -- are you saying that with a decent TV (mine is a Sharp LC-60C52U), that the SD TV program hdmi feed from my time warner DVR cable box wont look noticeable better going through the 1120's Marvell chip (vs going through the 1020 "unmolested")? if so, that's kind of disappointing. i was looking forward to the video chip making my SD stuff (TV, Wii and PS2) look better, the way that my BD (panasonic bd-85) is making my regular old DVD's look better....

Thanks
post #147 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 11:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

that is correct...

you cannot polish a turd...

- chris

post #148 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 11:31 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

that is correct...

you cannot polish a turd...

You can, but you won't like how it turns out...

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #149 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 11:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

lol! oh my, could we run with this one....

- chris

post #150 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 11:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoviesLover View Post

WINSTON (or other experts) -- are you saying that with a decent TV (mine is a Sharp LC-60C52U), that the SD TV program hdmi feed from my time warner DVR cable box wont look noticeable better going through the 1120's Marvell chip (vs going through the 1020 "unmolested")? if so, that's kind of disappointing. i was looking forward to the video chip making my SD stuff (TV, Wii and PS2) look better, the way that my BD (panasonic bd-85) is making my regular old DVD's look better....

Thanks

Winston is correct. Although you could set the HDMI out's for a pass through and still let your TV do the scaling.. I doubt, however, that either the Pioneer or your TV will do a lot for any SD material... My projector uses a Reon chip and no source device does any better on the upconversion than the Reon in my case. Other than BD, everything else that runs SD outputs to the PJ in 480i ...

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page