The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1020-K Owner's Thread - Page 53 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 09-23-2010, 01:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This happens only when I am watching cable (Dish). I am reading the manual for A.Delay... in the meantime, I will replicate your set up and give it a try...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-23-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Dish > HDMI > Receiver

BD Player > HDMI > Receiver

Receiver out > HDMI > TV in

Tv "Digital Audio Out" > optical cable > Receiver optical port

I just ordered the optical cable. Question: you dont need optical cable between the SAT and the receiver?
Old 09-23-2010, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV-Newbee View Post

This happens only when I am watching cable (Dish). I am reading the manual for A.Delay... in the meantime, I will replicate your set up and give it a try...

You will find that some channels you watch will have some delay and some don't. A couple things to try is to change channel and back or rewind the show/movie a second or two and then play.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just ordered the optical cable. Question: you dont need optical cable between the SAT and the receiver?

You do not need optical cable from SAT to receiver like iontyre mention.

Unless your SAT box can't output surround sound DD 5.1 via HDMI (which most do now).
Old 09-23-2010, 02:08 PM

Quote:

Dish > HDMI > Receiver

BD Player > HDMI > Receiver

Receiver out > HDMI > TV in

Tv "Digital Audio Out" > optical cable > Receiver optical port

JChin,

Page 23 of the manual shows a Optical cable between TV and the receiver and page 27 shows Optical connection between Cablebox and receiver. Which one to use?

1020-K Manual
Old 09-23-2010, 02:21 PM

Guys does the VSX1020 support audio return channel or standby pass-through ?
Old 09-23-2010, 02:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

JChin,

Page 23 of the manual shows a Optical cable between TV and the receiver and page 27 shows Optical connection between Cablebox and receiver. Which one to use?

1020-K Manual

Ok, page 23 is used if you want sound from your Tv (like using the Internet@Tv feature) not from your SAT cable box.

Page 27 is option for audio connection only for your SAT cable box if you're not using HDMI. For example using component cables for video and then you would need an extra cable for audio.
Old 09-24-2010, 06:29 AM

Im thinking about picking this one up. My old Pioneer VSX-609's center channel died recently. Had that receiver for 11 years. Not bad I think, and I think it is finally time to upgrade to something that does all the new BR Sound formats and can handle/upscale all my video sources.

Lover of all things High Definition©
Old 09-24-2010, 01:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

iontyre,

As I am really new at this, I blindly followed the manual. You are right, if I remove the RCA cable, I still get the sound, but there is still a lag. Do you think speaker cable length makes a difference? My cables are longer than they should be... I am also planning to purchase TOSLink cable and connect the SAT to the receiver. How is your system connected? I am using AudioQuest HDMI cables - SAT to receiver, BD to Receiver and Receiver to TV.
Do you get the lag (occasionally)?

I still don't get what you are trying to do. All my components use hdmi to the receiver, with one hdmi out to the TV. That is it, nothing from the TV back to the receiver. If you are getting lag, I believe the receiver has a setting adjustment for that too.
Old 09-24-2010, 05:51 PM

First post here. Just bought the vsx-1020-k, and I plan on buying a 3d tv...but this audio return channel i dont understand. Will i still get my dolby true-hd and such with no ARC? Im severely confused and i have been poring over the forums and this ARC doesnt seem like its a deal breaker. As long as i can still get my sound formats and my 3d picture, it seems like the receiver for me. I plan on hooking up my 3d tv, xbox 360, wii, and my blu ray player and cable box. (i just ordered it on amazon, and will hook it up when i move into my new hoe on oct 15)
Old 09-25-2010, 05:08 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

yes... you will be fine...

arc is for passing audio from the tv back to the avr... this is really only useful if you are a ota user or you have some type of media player on your display that you use...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 09-25-2010, 09:20 AM

^^thank you for the help. as a newbie im so scared of being eaten alive by threadcrappers
Old 09-25-2010, 08:28 PM

Does the VSX-1020 support standby pass-through ? or only the 1120 does ?
Old 09-25-2010, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirzo View Post

Does the VSX-1020 support standby pass-through ? or only the 1120 does ?

The 1020 sort of does pass through. Only for devices that support control over hdmi.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeitingon View Post

The 1020 sort of does pass through. Only for devices that support control over hdmi.

I have:

1. PS3
2. Samsung UN46B8500
3. Energy Take classic 5.1
4. Cable box

Would the 1020 support pass through in this set up ?
Old 09-26-2010, 03:40 PM

I can't get this unit to playback my iPhone 4. It has ios 4.01. It connects and the drops when I try to playback any music. Works with my nano and touch.
Old 09-28-2010, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karun View Post

Here it is again for clarity:

setup 1 (no VSX1020)
PS3 --- (30 ft cable) ----- Projector (1080 p - no issues)

setup 2 (with VSX 1020)
PS3 -- (3 feet cable) -- VSX1020 --- (30 ft cable) -- Projector
(1080p - sparkles in picture)
(1080i - no sparkles in picture)

If I cannot fix this issue, I will have to start finding out about the Amazon return policy. I like the 1020 though but I need 30 feet cable between avr and projector.

Hi Karun

I have what seems to be the same problem with the 1020 using a Samsung BD player. The white dots (noise). Cable length makes no difference. I notice that the problem is only on the BD input. Any other HDMI input, and the noise dissapears. The 1020 won't pass 3D. Did you find a solution to the problem you were having?

Al
Old 09-28-2010, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by ismatta View Post

Hi Karun

I have what seems to be the same problem with the 1020 using a Samsung BD player. The white dots (noise). Cable length makes no difference. I notice that the problem is only on the BD input. Any other HDMI input, and the noise dissapears. The 1020 won't pass 3D. Did you find a solution to the problem you were having?

Al

I have a similar problem with my projector when I upgraded from my Yamaha to the Pioneer. I used a monoprice switcher to a/b my tv/projector. The tv worked fine, but the projector either wouldn't work or would get the sparklies. The projector is a Mitsubishi.

If I directly connect the projector to the receiver with the same cable, no problem.

I tried a monoprice hdmi 4x2 matrix switch instead, and it would work only if the projector was on a specific port (I can't remember which).

I can only conclude that the Pioneer puts out slightly less signal than the Yamaha did and that a passive switch reduces it more, but the matrix less.

I can't comment on 3d.
Old 09-30-2010, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowzator View Post

Thanks for the tip. Setting my fronts to small seems to have enabled the subwoofer. I'll need to experiment with things now to find the best crossover frequency and such.

I've read and manual and this thread but can someone confirm that the crossover adjustment on this receiver is global for all speakers and does not have individual crossover adjustment for Front, Surround and Sub?

So, you basically get a single crossover adjustment that affects all speakers.

Old 09-30-2010, 08:13 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
^^^

that would be true of ALL pioneer avr's...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

Old 09-30-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregoryperkins View Post

I have a similar problem with my projector when I upgraded from my Yamaha to the Pioneer. I used a monoprice switcher to a/b my tv/projector. The tv worked fine, but the projector either wouldn't work or would get the sparklies. The projector is a Mitsubishi.

If I directly connect the projector to the receiver with the same cable, no problem.

I tried a monoprice hdmi 4x2 matrix switch instead, and it would work only if the projector was on a specific port (I can't remember which).

I can only conclude that the Pioneer puts out slightly less signal than the Yamaha did and that a passive switch reduces it more, but the matrix less.

I can't comment on 3d.

I also think that the signal strength is not good enough for long length cable. Unfortunately I did not try other inputs (other than BD). Anyway, I also disabled deep color on the PS3 at the same time, so I am not sure whether diabling the deep color or reducing the cable length worked for me but it seems fine with shorter cable and disabled deep color.

Karun
Old 09-30-2010, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismatta View Post

Hi Karun

Al

ismatta, try disabling deep color on your BD player. I wish I had tested other inputs before moving to shorter wire.
Old 09-30-2010, 05:04 PM

I just purchased the new Apple TV and ran into 5.1 audio issues. The center channel audio is missing when the AVR show Digital audio. Left and right play fine. My IcontrilAV show the movie as Dolby PLII. Switching the receiver to stereo returns the actor's dialog. Is their any know issues with Pioneer and iTunes media? Thanks.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:10 AM

I just replaced a 6 year old Onkyo R520 with the Pioneer 1020k. The moment I connected the 2 front channels and my ps3 I turned it on to try it out. The difference was outstanding. I spent the next several hours listening to all my favorite songs "for the first time". I really wish I had purchased banana plugs- hooking up the speakers was very tedious.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:37 AM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 32
hello people... I am a new soon to be vsx-1020-k owner.. it comes tomorrow.. this is my first new receiver in 8 years... finally bringing my system up to modern times. my current receiver is a yamaha rx-v1400... my speakers are BIC DV64's in the front and a Paradigm cc-270 center (but going to change that to a BIC DV62CLRS sometime soon) with 2 sets of Wharfedale WH2's for the surround sides and backs in a 7.1 config.. sub is a velodyne impact-10. I'm very excited to drop the 1020 into the mix and finally get TrueHD and DTS-HD surround modes.. anyways.. just a note to say "hi".. I am sure I will be lurking in this thread for a while..

Listening: Outlaw Audio 950 | Sony CDPCX355 | 2x Marantz MA-700 + 2x MA-6100 | Energy RC-70 bi-amped + SVS PB-1000
HT: Pioneer Elite SC-71 AVR | LG 60PV450 plasma | all BIC 7 speaker surround + Klipsch sub-12hg | Sony BDP-S350 | WD TV
Old 10-01-2010, 06:56 PM

I have a question about the VSX1020K..
I am about to pull the trigger (tonight) on the VSX, choose this receiver over the HT-RC260 from Onkyo (Hop ethis is the right decision)
Anyways, As far as the video processing, I heard that it is best to shut it off, but can I do that per port? Meaning I have a VCR (Wife still has some VCR tapes) that I need to run. I have a 3D BluRay player and a 3D enabled TV.. So is it possible to convert the VCR and run PURE on the other HDMI ports?

Also, Is there any "Got-ya"s that I need to be aware of?

Thanks for the input.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderplains View Post

I have a question about the VSX1020K..
I am about to pull the trigger (tonight) on the VSX, choose this receiver over the HT-RC260 from Onkyo (Hop ethis is the right decision)
Anyways, As far as the video processing, I heard that it is best to shut it off, but can I do that per port? Meaning I have a VCR (Wife still has some VCR tapes) that I need to run. I have a 3D BluRay player and a 3D enabled TV.. So is it possible to convert the VCR and run PURE on the other HDMI ports?

Also, Is there any "Got-ya"s that I need to be aware of?

Thanks for the input.

Think you're confusing threads. Pioneer does not degrade picture quality with video processing on. Moreover, you can set resolution per input.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

Think you're confusing threads. Pioneer does not degrade picture quality with video processing on. Moreover, you can set resolution per input.

Winston,

Read your review, Do you feel that the VSX is a better route than the RC260? I don't need ARC (Panodra from BDPS770) and stndby passthrough not needed either, 3D is as the display is a PN58C8000

Also, to "upconvert" do you need video procesing on? I would rather run PURE and let the Samsung do the processing.

Appreciated.
Old 10-02-2010, 06:14 AM

Quote:

Does this lag happens when playing your BD playerr or only Dish or both?

Have you try turning on "A.Delay" under Audio Parameter?

This is very interesting. I have a PCH A-100 and sometimes if I stop what I am watching or pause it, upon restarting the lip sync can be very annoying.I wonder if the A-100 will work with this? Guess if it does not automatically fix it, I can try the manual setting. How does it know what to do as far as delay? Some shows are perfect even when stopping/pausing and some just go crazy..I think since it is not a constant thing, manual setting would be the only possibility.can't wait to try!
Old 10-02-2010, 06:24 AM

So, I just installed my new receiver with 3 speakers (2 satellites, 1 center) and a blu ray DVD player.

After about 1 hour of watching a movie, the receiver shut down and I saw a little bit of smoke come out of my receiver.

This looks really bad.

I double checked all the speaker wiring and it looks fine. This IS the first time I have done this so what I did was install banana plugs on all the wires and I matched all the red to red and black to black connections.

I'm using Aperion speakers and they are the right specifications. Did my speakers blow up my receiver?