Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

that is correct...

you cannot polish a turd...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petrus View Post

You can, but you won't like how it turns out...

Quote:

^^^

lol! oh my, could we run with this one....

we will....

the Mythbusters did it

Turd polishing 101

......looked pretty good too....however, a trud is still a turd no matter what clothing it's dressed in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 11:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 520
Man, are those guys just running out of myths to bust..?? We should start a thread called "Myths that the Mythbusters have not Yet Busted"

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #153 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 01:09 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a 1020 on order from ABT, and am reading with some concern the discussion about digital sources not being available to speaker b. I have a ceiling speaker in my kitchen that I just installed, and I'd like it to simulcast what my 5.1 setup is actively playing (not a different source) in the kitchen for when I go get a beer, or for listening to the radio without blasting it from the other room, etc. Do I understand correctly that if the signal is from a digital source, i.e.: HDMI from the BDP / cable box or toslink from airport express, that the b speaker will not play without an additional analog input from these devices? Thanks for your attention.
post #154 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 01:54 PM

Add another Nubie question to the list....

Can I connect a HDMI device to a HDMI input and have the Pioneer output to component? I still have a HD CRT (bet picture when HD first came out) with no HDMI only DVI or Component. I get no picture and was wondering if I have to tell the Pioneer that Component is what it needs to output to.....
post #155 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 01:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

nope.

no avr will transcode hdmi to component... that's a "no no"...

edit: before someone chimes in with it... google "hd fury"...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #156 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:

^^^

nope.

no avr will transcode hdmi to component... that's a "no no"...

edit: before someone chimes in with it... google "hd fury"...

That's what I was thinking but several things made me think it could....time for a new TV
post #157 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 02:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

you could also hook up your sources with component and then run component cables to the tv...

for "tv watching" (i.e. cable/fios/satellite), component/spdif will be just as good as hdmi...

for "movie watching", it'll be more than functional using component...

fwiw, since you have no way of hooking it up to the tv via hdmi now, isn't your only choice (other than getting a new tv, which i in NO way discourage! ), to hook everything up component?

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #158 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 02:25 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Quote:

you could also hook up your sources with component and then run component cables to the tv...

for "tv watching" (i.e. cable/fios/satellite), component/spdif will be just as good as hdmi...

The only problem with that is BD players and upconverting DVD players will not upconvert standard DVD over component video. The best you'll get is 480p.

Afro GT
post #159 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 02:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

i know i might get stones thrown at me, but do you think it might be a power issue?

Honestly don't think so. Without the MCACC profiles applied, the sound is pretty much "right" but just not balanced. When balanced using MCACC, it seems to lose something.

I'm 99.9% sure this is a configuration issue.
post #160 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 02:29 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

The only problem with that is BD players and upconverting DVD players will not upconvert standard DVD over component video. The best you'll get is 480p.

true dat...

then again, on that screen size, unless he's watching from real close, that probably wouldn't effect real world viewing much...

- chris

post #161 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 02:35 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelly_NV View Post

Honestly don't think so. Without the MCACC profiles applied, the sound is pretty much "right" but just not balanced. When balanced using MCACC, it seems to lose something.

I'm 99.9% sure this is a configuration issue.

you may have already read this guide to microphone positioning, but if you haven't, it's worth a look...

the other thing that may be occuring... if you haven't used room correction before, and you've had your existing speakers for awhile, you are "used to" a certain sound... mcacc is (by it's very nature) effecting the sound, and making you "hear" a "different" sound now...

for most, "what they are used to" is perceived as "better"... and there is nothing wrong with that...

however, to get a real assessment of the value of mcacc, you need to use it for awhile... after you've ensured correct microphone positioning and done of a bit of sanity testing with a spl meter, try using it for at least a couple weeks straight, preferably a month, without going back to "mcacc off"...

then compare "mcacc on" vs. "mcacc off" and see what you prefer... you may still prefer the original (many though come back quite surprised at what they really prefer in the end... )... but you need to give your ears some time to "adjust" to the "mcacc on" sound signature...

- chris

post #162 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 02:39 PM

thats a great point. Im used to my surround sound blarring; but finally went and bought the 1020 and now i have to get used to CORRECT sound haha
post #163 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 02:57 PM
AVS Addicted Member

then compare "mcacc on" vs. "mcacc off" ... And then go get a BigMac and watch Karate Kid

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

post #164 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Oh trust me, I've spent more than enough hours fiddling with Audyssey on my previous Denon 1909 to know time can open your eyes to certain settings.

Listening to the Dave Matthews & Tim Reynolds Live at Radio City Music Hall Blu-ray and things sound great. However, I know things could be better so I'm going to tweak.
post #165 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuHelp View Post

Add another Nubie question to the list....

Can I connect a HDMI device to a HDMI input and have the Pioneer output to component? I still have a HD CRT (bet picture when HD first came out) with no HDMI only DVI or Component. I get no picture and was wondering if I have to tell the Pioneer that Component is what it needs to output to.....

If that DVI connection has HDCP you can run a HDMI->DVI cable from the receiver to the TV. Towards the bottom of the linked page you can find a 6 footer for $4.09.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10231

If you want a new TV, let me know and I'll delete this post.
post #166 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 03:38 PM
AVS Addicted Member

darnit... i read his post as "NO dvi or component"... reading IS fundamental...

yea, that'd work...

not as much fun as a new tv though...

- chris

post #167 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defcon View Post

Am I going to see any improvement in sound compared to a Sony STR-DG820? I'm considering it, not sure how much of an upgrade it is, and e.g. how much difference MCACC will make.

(sorry for repeating) Any opinions at all?

Besides getting this for an upgrade to HD sound, are the other features worth getting?

e.g.
- iPod remote control
- MCACC
- HDMI 1.4
- ASR for improving sound from mp3's
post #168 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 04:27 PM

Hi all,

While I have browsed the avsforum for some time this is my first post. I have been waiting for this receiver for a few months and glad to report that with the help from this forum i was able to locate this receiver at my local best buy. I just finished setting up the receiver and so far am pretty happy with the results. I am pleasantly surprised with how easy the iphone app was to get connected. The functionality is decent.

One of the main reasons for my purchase of this receiver (other than replacing a very old panny receiver of 6 years) was the ability to use HDMI for all my components. My tv is a few years old and only has one HDMI input. I am a little disappointed that you cannot use the audio from one input with the video from another (example: listening to internet radio while playing my xbox 360) but other than that...the switching is flawless.

Issue: I did notice that the video being sent to my TV doesn't seem to have the right aspect ratio (ex. CNN's ticker half being cutoff) Has anyone run into this and if so what is the solution? I've noticed this cutofff on multiple inputs and have double checked the TV's setting with no luck.

Thanks for any help.
post #169 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 04:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

that is a setting on your display and/or sources (most likely the display)... what do you have for a display and what do you have for sources...

- chris

post #170 of 4546 Old 05-03-2010, 04:47 PM

Hi.... hopefully this isn't a stupid question....

Does slacker and pandora, among others, qualify as internet radio (in regards to the 1020?) I was just curious, since you can have multiple 'stations' on those, so how do you 'click' the station you want to listen to? As opposed to an 'internet radio station' which is just 1 possible stream?

thanks in advance!
post #171 of 4546 Old 05-04-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscheid View Post

Does slacker and pandora, among others, qualify as internet radio (in regards to the 1020?) I was just curious, since you can have multiple 'stations' on those, so how do you 'click' the station you want to listen to? As opposed to an 'internet radio station' which is just 1 possible stream?

thanks in advance!

Slacker & Pandora use their own proprietary protocols for streaming music and requires their own Applications.
post #172 of 4546 Old 05-04-2010, 09:44 AM

I bought 1020 couple of days back from BB after doing some research. I have used Yamaha HTR 5760 series and SONy Home theater AV receiver before. I wanted a receiver that has the ability to input HDMI source from different source and output 1. I was also looking for a better sound quality than my previous Yamaha and Sony. I have 2 tower Aperion speaker with side woofers, center large infinity and two rear polk book shelf speakers. I have a sony powered subwoofer with cross over and phase control. After playing around with 1020 I am not really impressed with the sound or video conversion. I setup the front L/R to large, Center to small, rear to small and subwoofer to PLUS / 80Hz.

1. I am having a 5.1 setup. So, what is the best speaker system setup in MCACC. This is a simple question but I am unable to find the answer from the manual. It is very confusing which setup I should use if I am using only 5.1 speakers.
2. The low / bass effect is very negligible even if the SW is setup to Plus and Cross over to 80. Do others have the same problem? What should I be looking.
3. The video up conversion is so-so. I am sending the HDMI SAT signal to this unit. Sending the HDMI output from AV to Projector and tried to connect another TV through Component out of the AV. This didn't work. I think only the upconvert is possible and not the down convert? Is this correct.
4. I am not seeing the audio / video parameter option display in the screen.

I don't want to give up on this. This has tons and tons of feature. But my speakers haven't come to life. I am doubting if 1020 is a trade off on feature for Audio quality. I played movies like Day after tomorrow, Dark Night, Played Eric Clapton Cross roads DVD. My old Yamaha / Sony sounded better with good non-muffled bass.
post #173 of 4546 Old 05-04-2010, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjscheid View Post

thanks in advance!

Ditto nvous post .. you might want to look into service like Cumulus Radio

post #174 of 4546 Old 05-04-2010, 11:12 AM

Hey there everyone.

I've been looking for a new receiver recently and have pretty much decided on the Pioneer 1020. The feature set seems great, and based on reviews for the 1019, I'd expect the upconversion quality to be pretty decent, as well as sound quality. Newegg has a really good deal on the Onkyo 608 today though, and since Newegg doesn't seem to carry Pioneer receivers, I'm thinking about getting the Onkyo instead, and their sound quality seems to be rated a little better. I know I won't have the nice iPod features if I get the 608, but otherwise, can any of you compare the two? Should I hold out for a good deal on the 1020, or is the Onkyo the overall better receiver aurally and visually (I can live with a somewhat diminished feature set)? My setup would be 5.1 with no use of Zone 2, fyi.
post #175 of 4546 Old 05-04-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpenn63 View Post

Hey there everyone.

I've been looking for a new receiver recently and have pretty much decided on the Pioneer 1020. The feature set seems great, and based on reviews for the 1019, I'd expect the upconversion quality to be pretty decent, as well as sound quality. Newegg has a really good deal on the Onkyo 608 today though, and since Newegg doesn't seem to carry Pioneer receivers, I'm thinking about getting the Onkyo instead, and their sound quality seems to be rated a little better. I know I won't have the nice iPod features if I get the 608, but otherwise, can any of you compare the two? Should I hold out for a good deal on the 1020, or is the Onkyo the overall better receiver aurally and visually (I can live with a somewhat diminished feature set)? My setup would be 5.1 with no use of Zone 2, fyi.

I picked up the 1020 from BB and used a 10% off coupon and some reward zone points I had. Got it for 490 out the door. Here is the coupon: http://cybernetnews.com/wp-content/u...tbuycoupon.jpg
post #176 of 4546 Old 05-04-2010, 11:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
dpenn63 -- IMHO the Pioneer 1020 is a much better AVR than the Onkyo AVRs (608 included). The Onkyo's have good specs but that doesn't tel the whole story. Plus the Onkyo's tend to run hot, to very hot, and need lots of ventilation.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #177 of 4546 Old 05-04-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

ditto CT_Wiebe .. besides, the newegg deal is only about $3 bucks less on the Onkyo than other vendors selling the same Onkyo.. I like the fact that the Pioneer has an ethernet port...

post #178 of 4546 Old 05-04-2010, 12:05 PM

Quote:

fwiw, since you have no way of hooking it up to the tv via hdmi now, isn't your only choice (other than getting a new tv, which i in NO way discourage! ), to hook everything up component?

Well it's my media player that I need connected. Guess I'm going to go component to tv then spdif to stereo for the encoding.....until I get a new tv

My job is under contract and is up for renewal in September so the new tv will have to wait until then.....

Guess it gives me time to decide if I want it above the fireplace (would have to figure out cabling) and which LED I want...
post #179 of 4546 Old 05-04-2010, 12:07 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsuHelp View Post

Guess it gives me time to decide if I want it above the fireplace (would have to figure out cabling) and which LED I want...

you don't need any more time to figure out the first part. the answer is no.

as far as the 2nd part, can't help you there... i'm a plasma guy...

- chris

post #180 of 4546 Old 05-04-2010, 12:09 PM

Ok,jumped into this...Called ABT and placed order. 478$, even. No tax, free shipping. Tad more than what it was sold,but am ok with it. ABT has 25 shiptment coming in,and they seem to have 20 pre-orders already. Thats pretty interesting. A user review will be great!.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page