The "Official" Pioneer VSX-1020-K Owner's Thread - Page 63 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1861 of 4577 Old 11-08-2010, 01:39 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi All,

Glad to see such an active thread for 1020k.

I recently bought my first Av Receiver along with Bose 5.1 speakers. Everything works fine if i use Stereo/ Extended Stereo. But when i switch the mode to 5.1 / Advanced / Any other Surround presets i hear very low voice. I think the central channel is missing. I made sure the input is 5.1.

I connected Comcast 5.1 & BD feed to the receiver using HDMI cables and connected Bose console to the receiver. I know i am missing something stupid.

Can someone help me ?

Balaji
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 4577 Old 11-08-2010, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rb4i View Post
Hi All,

Glad to see such an active thread for 1020k.

I recently bought my first Av Receiver along with Bose 5.1 speakers. Everything works fine if i use Stereo/ Extended Stereo. But when i switch the mode to 5.1 / Advanced / Any other Surround presets i hear very low voice. I think the central channel is missing. I made sure the input is 5.1.

I connected Comcast 5.1 & BD feed to the receiver using HDMI cables and connected Bose console to the receiver. I know i am missing something stupid.

Can someone help me ?

Balaji
Uh Oh.

"The dream never dies, just the dreamer."

post #1863 of 4577 Old 11-08-2010, 09:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew4msu View Post

Uh Oh.

No highs, no lows, it must be...

Seriously though, did you run MACC or read any of this long thread?

Not familiar with Bose console, what is it?
post #1864 of 4577 Old 11-09-2010, 10:05 AM

Just received my new (to me) VSX-1020 and it's quite an upgrade from my old Yamaha HTR-5560. I haven't run the calibration yet as the microphone was not included.

Will any microphone work for the calibration? Would someone be willing to loan me their mic?

I'm scouring the thread for useful bits of information. Thanks guys!
post #1865 of 4577 Old 11-09-2010, 02:35 PM

New 1020 owner here. I've learned a lot from this thread, but I'm still at a loss about my aspect ratio.

I ordered an Onkyo260 and had to return it because it would suddenly, and randomly, blast my speakers like a gun shot. It sent my dog and me running lol. This happened a few times, and it also lost sound randomly while I was watching items off of my Dish satellite box. The Onkyo definitely had apsect ratio settings that I could select.

After the return of the 260 I have replaced it with the superior Pioneer 1020. Everything seems to be running well except that the image is cut off on both sides of the HDTV (Philips 42" 1080p). I have adjusted settings on the TV to all available aspect ratio settings with no success. I have then adjusted settings on the Dish box to all available settings with no success. I am not able to access the features on the receiver that I thought were supposed to show up when using the visual parameter button. When I press it, there is only an option to select the pure>720>1080i> etc.

Would anyone please help me out? Thanks very much.
post #1866 of 4577 Old 11-09-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamu Nguyen View Post
Everything seems to be running well except that the image is cut off on both sides of the HDTV (Philips 42" 1080p). I have adjusted settings on the TV to all available aspect ratio settings with no success. I have then adjusted settings on the Dish box to all available settings with no success. I am not able to access the features on the receiver that I thought were supposed to show up when using the visual parameter button. When I press it, there is only an option to select the pure>720>1080i> etc.
That's an odd problem. Every aspect ratio in your TV settings shows the same cut off picture? I would think that in 4:3 you would at least see letterbox strips somewhere.

What inputs are you using and what is your source?
post #1867 of 4577 Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a 1020 and am very happy with how it is performing. However, I have been having a problem that I can't quite solve, and am looking for some ideas as to what might be causing my problem.

At the moment, I have a new Apple TV (2nd generation) that I have hooked up to the 1020. I plan to use it mostly to view pictures on my 42" Sharp LCD TV, and for music (to access my library of Apple Losless songs streaming from iTunes to the Apple TV). The Apple TV has a HDMI connection to the 1020, and an optical connection to an external DAC (Cambridge Audio DACMagic), which in turn has a RCA analog connection to the 1020. I have configured the "Video" preset to use the correct HDMI port and the correct analog port.

The problem I've noticed is that when playing music, I need to turn the volume to between -30 and -35 to get an acceptable volume, but I need to select -20 to -25 to get an equivalent loudness if I use the analog source. Should this be normal? I would have thought that the analog signal from the outboard DAC would be amplified by the 1020 in a similar way to the digital audio signal coming from the HDMI.
It is a little frustrating for me that every other HDMI source I have going into the 1020 requires one volume (between -30 and -35), but a different one for the external DAC.

Cheers,
Charles
post #1868 of 4577 Old 11-10-2010, 11:50 AM

^^^^

Others can correct me if I am wrong...

The volume difference depends on the signal from your source. Likely the analog source has a fixed signal that is not outputting at a very high volume.

Does the Apple TV unit have a volume control you could turn down so that the two sources have a more similar volume?
post #1869 of 4577 Old 11-10-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallnick View Post

I'm not sure if this answers your question, but if you want your 1020 to do all the decoding of your blu-ray player, you need to set your blu-ray player to output bitstream (as opposed to PCM).
Then your 1020 will do the audio decoding.

The blu-ray player is set to AUTO which will transmit via bitstream; there were only 2 settings for the player AUTO & PCM. I have another Sony blu-ray player (BDP-S360) connected to an Onkyo TX-SR605 via HDMI but the 605 emits the signal of the hi-def codecs when the player is set to AUTO. I will try to use another player to connect to the 1020 to see if it will emit the signal on the display. If still does not work I'm exchanging the product for a new 1020. This one might have a bug issue.
post #1870 of 4577 Old 11-10-2010, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by jroq444 View Post

The blu-ray player is set to AUTO which will transmit via bitstream; there were only 2 settings for the player AUTO & PCM. I have another Sony blu-ray player (BDP-S360) connected to an Onkyo TX-SR605 via HDMI but the 605 emits the signal of the hi-def codecs when the player is set to AUTO. I will try to use another player to connect to the 1020 to see if it will emit the signal on the display. If still does not work I'm exchanging the product for a new 1020. This one might have a bug issue.

Hi jroq444, on the BD Player press "Display" buton to should show what audio format it outputs.

Set BD Player S470 HDMI Audio to "Auto" and Audio Mix to "OFF".

For BD Player S360 set HDMI Audio to "Auto" and BD Audio to "Direct".
post #1871 of 4577 Old 11-10-2010, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Hi jroq444, on the BD Player press "Display" buton to should show what audio format it outputs.

Thank you for this recommendations and will definitely try this in the audio setting.

Have a great day!!!
post #1872 of 4577 Old 11-10-2010, 10:51 PM
tuc

Wow, there are almost 2000 posts on this board. I'll read them all eventually but haven't yet.

I have a new 1020. Well I guess it's not actually newI've had it for a while now but haven't done much with it. I have some questions:

1) Does this thing do HDMI passthrough on standby? I thought it didn't have that feature, but it seems some people here are discussing it.

2) I have four speakers mounted in the ceiling for the 7.1 side and back channels. These work fine when using a 7.1 source (BD player) but when using a 5.1 source (HDTV via FIOS box) it's driving the side speakers and leaving the backs silent. Is there a way I can convince the 1020 to instead drive the rears and keep the sides silent? (I ask because the ceiling locations are less than ideal. The side speakers are forward of the seating locations.)

3) I've never owned a subwoofer but plan to pick one up soon. I will sometimes use it for movies/tv, but more often for music. The obvious connection method is to run a cable between the 1020's "pre out subwoofer" jack and the sub's "LFE in" jack. I was just reading a subwoofer's manual and this is indeed one of the methods it lists. However, it also lists another way (please see attached .gif image) which frankly I do not understand. Is there any kind of advantage to connecting it to the 1020 this weird way, or would the single LFE connection do just as well, even for 2-channel music?

4) Is there any chance that Pioneer will update the 1020's firmware to support Apple's "AirPlay" protocol for ethernet streaming?

Thanks in advance.
LL
post #1873 of 4577 Old 11-11-2010, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djender View Post

^^^^

The volume difference depends on the signal from your source. Likely the analog source has a fixed signal that is not outputting at a very high volume.

Does the Apple TV unit have a volume control you could turn down so that the two sources have a more similar volume?

Hi djender,

No, I don't think volume is controlled from the Apple TV. However, that is a good point, and I will double check again.

Thanks!

Cheers,
Charles
post #1874 of 4577 Old 11-11-2010, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc View Post

Wow, there are almost 2000 posts on this board. I'll read them all eventually but haven't yet.

I have a new 1020. Well I guess it's not actually newI've had it for a while now but haven't done much with it. I have some questions:

1) Does this thing do HDMI passthrough on standby? I thought it didn't have that feature, but it seems some people here are discussing it.

2) I have four speakers mounted in the ceiling for the 7.1 side and back channels. These work fine when using a 7.1 source (BD player) but when using a 5.1 source (HDTV via FIOS box) it's driving the side speakers and leaving the backs silent. Is there a way I can convince the 1020 to instead drive the rears and keep the sides silent? (I ask because the ceiling locations are less than ideal. The side speakers are forward of the seating locations.)

3) I've never owned a subwoofer but plan to pick one up soon. I will sometimes use it for movies/tv, but more often for music. The obvious connection method is to run a cable between the 1020's "pre out subwoofer" jack and the sub's "LFE in" jack. I was just reading a subwoofer's manual and this is indeed one of the methods it lists. However, it also lists another way (please see attached .gif image) which frankly I do not understand. Is there any kind of advantage to connecting it to the 1020 this weird way, or would the single LFE connection do just as well, even for 2-channel music?

4) Is there any chance that Pioneer will update the 1020's firmware to support Apple's "AirPlay" protocol for ethernet streaming?

Thanks in advance.

Great question about the surround-- i have all 7 of mine in teh ceiling and it drives me crazy that the backs dont work in 5.1
post #1875 of 4577 Old 11-11-2010, 05:35 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 90
Quote:

^^^^

you aren't wrong... it could also be the level of the mix itself...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #1876 of 4577 Old 11-11-2010, 05:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuc View Post

Thanks in advance.

1) seems to...

2) not without swapping the actual physical wiring...

3) no, no advantage, the 1020 will handle the bass management for you..

4) highly unlikely...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #1877 of 4577 Old 11-11-2010, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

2) not without swapping the actual physical wiring...

Can you not use one of the simulated surround sound options? I guess that might mess up the actual surround sound...
post #1878 of 4577 Old 11-11-2010, 12:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

you could use post-processing to get 7 channels out of 5 (or 2), but you cannot use post-processing to "swap" the surrounds and the backs...

the only way to do what the op wants is to swap the wiring... and that's really not suggested either, as 5 channel mixes are mixed assuming the "surrounds" are on the "sides", not in the "back"...

the best (read: the only) solution is to re-position the surrounds correctly...

- chris

post #1879 of 4577 Old 11-11-2010, 05:27 PM

Thanks for that clarification, I didn't understand the entire question.
post #1880 of 4577 Old 11-11-2010, 06:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

you are welcome...

a modern avr can work quite a lot of "magic", but not quite that much...

- chris

post #1881 of 4577 Old 11-12-2010, 06:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
I'm considering the 1020k along with Energy RC- micro 5.1 speakers. Anyone have these speakers paired with this receiver? Thoughts, impressions? Also the 1020 is 110w x7 and the energy's handle 100w each, is this a problem?

Denon AVR-X2000------>Def Tech PM1000's------>Def Tech PC2000------->Sub(TBD)
Pioneer Pro111FD viewed from 7'------>Picture mode, ISF Day(calibrated by umr)
Sony PS3

post #1882 of 4577 Old 11-12-2010, 07:20 PM

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBloggz View Post

I'm considering the 1020k along with Energy RC- micro 5.1 speakers. Anyone have these speakers paired with this receiver? Thoughts, impressions? Also the 1020 is 110w x7 and the energy's handle 100w each, is this a problem?

I think you should be fine. The 110 watts peak is one channel driven at a time I think. So the more channels driven will lower watts available to each channel. I'm not a pro so I hope someone correct me if i'm wrong

On page 127 of manual,

Amplifier section
Continuous average power output of 80
watts* per channel, min., at 8 ohms, from
20 Hz to 20 000 Hz with no more than
0.08 %** total harmonic distortion.
Front (stereo) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .80 W + 80 W
Power output (1 kHz, 8 Ω, 0.05 %, 1 ch driven)
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 110 W per channel
Guaranteed speaker impedance
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 16 Ω to 8 Ω
post #1883 of 4577 Old 11-12-2010, 09:11 PM

Literally just Got this receiver up. But I cannot figure out how to turn the volume down. Even on the lowEst setting it's still too loud for the wife. Like i said, just getting into this. Thanks.
post #1884 of 4577 Old 11-13-2010, 03:35 PM

I have a new (2010) Apple TV connected to my 1020K. My intention was to output the Apple TV sound (for music) to my outdoor speakers which are set as Zone 2. Ive come to realize that the 1020 will not output HDMI to Zone 2. The new Apple TV only has HDMI out and optical out so I tried the optical out to the optical in on the 1020 but that wont work either. I haven't yet tried but will HDMI OR optical inputs be able to output sound from the Apple TV if I use my outdoor speakers as speaker set B, rather than zone 2. I just sold my old and super cheap Sony receiver which output to speakers B without any problem from HDMI. I will be very disappointed if the 1020 wont do this. Any help would be appreciated!
post #1885 of 4577 Old 11-13-2010, 08:50 PM

Has anyone stepped up to the 1120 from the 1020?

If so, was it worth the step up?

NE is selling the 1120 for $60 more than I paid for the 1020..

I feel a delema comming on
Still within my 30 day BB purchase.
post #1886 of 4577 Old 11-14-2010, 11:03 AM

Had this receiver for about 6 months and loving it. However today when I turned on the receiver I don't receive any sound from the speakers but I do receiver sound/bass from the Sub. Any one know what could be the cause? If I can't figure it out is Pioneer Customer Service the best bet for replacement or Amazon who I ordered it from?
post #1887 of 4577 Old 11-14-2010, 03:28 PM

^^

Make sure that the speaker selection is set to "A" on the receiver. Someone may have bumped the button on the face and accidentally turned off the speakers. You can check by hitting the "Speakers" button on the far left of the receiver, just up from the input knob.
post #1888 of 4577 Old 11-15-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:

^^

Make sure that the speaker selection is set to "A" on the receiver. Someone may have bumped the button on the face and accidentally turned off the speakers. You can check by hitting the "Speakers" button on the far left of the receiver, just up from the input knob.

that was it, we never touch the receiver but someone looks like the hit it. Thanks
post #1889 of 4577 Old 11-15-2010, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JChin View Post

Thanks JChin!!! The audio mix turned to OFF solved the issue. The 1020 is staying for good...calibrated it last weekend and it sound awesome...wife was so upset due to loudness...my onkyo 604 was still doing a great job but the 1020 out performed it to the max.
Have a wonderful week!!!
post #1890 of 4577 Old 11-15-2010, 12:51 PM

Had the 1020 for close to 6 months. I haven't changed any equipment (TV, BDP, cable box, etc) since I bought the receiver. It now runs for 10 - 15 mins before shutting down with an AMP Overheat error. I can start it right away and it'll power up and repeat the cycle. I'm assuming that this is going to require a trip into the shop for service but thought I'd check in and see if anyone has any suggestions / ideas?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page