Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 4548 Old 05-04-2010, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie1617 View Post

If that DVI connection has HDCP you can run a HDMI->DVI cable from the receiver to the TV. Towards the bottom of the linked page you can find a 6 footer for $4.09.
http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...02&cp_id=10231

If you want a new TV, let me know and I'll delete this post.

I pondered that idea.but just the thinking of sliding that tv (and I installed it on a turning shelf that does not turn much because of its size and ~250 pounds) to get to the connection.I think I'll wait for a new one to deal with moving itshould have seen my wife and I get it on the shelf thought she was going down!.....the tv that is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 4548 Old 05-04-2010, 01:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgkrishmy View Post

I bought 1020 couple of days back from BB after doing some research. I have used Yamaha HTR 5760 series and SONy Home theater AV receiver before. I wanted a receiver that has the ability to input HDMI source from different source and output 1. I was also looking for a better sound quality than my previous Yamaha and Sony. I have 2 tower Aperion speaker with side woofers, center large infinity and two rear polk book shelf speakers. I have a sony powered subwoofer with cross over and phase control. After playing around with 1020 I am not really impressed with the sound or video conversion. I setup the front L/R to large, Center to small, rear to small and subwoofer to PLUS / 80Hz.

1. I am having a 5.1 setup. So, what is the best speaker system setup in MCACC. This is a simple question but I am unable to find the answer from the manual. It is very confusing which setup I should use if I am using only 5.1 speakers.
2. The low / bass effect is very negligible even if the SW is setup to Plus and Cross over to 80. Do others have the same problem? What should I be looking.
3. The video up conversion is so-so. I am sending the HDMI SAT signal to this unit. Sending the HDMI output from AV to Projector and tried to connect another TV through Component out of the AV. This didn't work. I think only the upconvert is possible and not the down convert? Is this correct.
4. I am not seeing the audio / video parameter option display in the screen.

I don't want to give up on this. This has tons and tons of feature. But my speakers haven't come to life. I am doubting if 1020 is a trade off on feature for Audio quality. I played movies like Day after tomorrow, Dark Night, Played Eric Clapton Cross roads DVD. My old Yamaha / Sony sounded better with good non-muffled bass.

Item #1 -- You have a 5.1.system and that's the way you should calibrate it, see pages 38ff for the "Basic Setup". On page 39, it shows you a diagram (that pops up after you have finished the first test tone sweep) which allows you to confirm what speakers you have connected. Make sure you follow the directions exactly, otherwise you will not get a good audio calibration.

Item #2 -- To start with, the sub should not be set to "Plus" (which sends both LFE and the low bass to your sub). If your sub has a gain control, it should be set to about 30% to 40% of maximum, to start with. MCACC will not completely calibrate your sub, so when it gets finished, you might want to go into the manual speaker setup (chapter 11, page 99ff) and increase the sub drive level. Remember, your Sony sub-woofer may not be doing a very good job (some models can be very anemic).

Item #3 -- Look at the chart on the right hand side of page 22. Only the Component inputs can be converted to any of the other types of outputs. The HDMI input can only be sent to the HDMI output, per government regulations (at the request of the movie studios).

Item #4 -- I didn't read the entire manual (yes it is not organized very well), but it looks like the "audio/video parameter option display" can only be seen using the "Monitor" output (using the component connections or the composite connection). It looks like it will not be output via the HDMI connection.

BTW, I downloaded the manual from the Pioneer web site for the VSX-1020-K (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU...0-K.Kuro?tab=D). I had to actually download it twice, since the first time I did not get the English version. It is much easier to read (and search) the manual on a PC. For me, it's very hard to find anything in the hard copy. Having owned a number of Pioneer AVRs (over the past 30 years), the organization of their manuals still stink.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #183 of 4548 Old 05-04-2010, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

MitsuHelp -- The HDMI inputs cannot be output to anything but HDMI, per government regulations (see my post above). It's an anti-piracy thing and applies to all AVRs and Pre-Pro electronics. If your TV has a DVI input, then you can use an HDMI to DVI cable (or an HDMI to DVI adapter plus a HDMI cable). AFIK, no cable box or satellite STB is currently using HDCP (with the possible exception of the PPV movie channels).

Only Component inputs can be output to any other output connection from the VSX-1020-K.

post #184 of 4548 Old 05-04-2010, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

Item #3 -- Look at the chart on the right hand side of page 22. Only the Component inputs can be converted to any of the other types of outputs. The HDMI input can only be sent to the HDMI output, per government regulations (at the request of the movie studios).

I'm looking at the chart on p. 22. It shows both component and composite inputs being converted to the other types.
Quote:

Item #4 -- I didn't read the entire manual (yes it is not organized very well), but it looks like the "audio/video parameter option display" can only be seen using the "Monitor" output (using the component connections or the composite connection). It looks like it will not be output via the HDMI connection.

The chart you referred to above shows that any of the three outputs counts as monitor output, including the HDMI output.

Greg Lee
post #185 of 4548 Old 05-04-2010, 01:41 PM
AVS Special Member

GregLee -- Yes, but the question was "could the HDMI input be sent to the component outputs". The answer is no -- for all AVRs legally sold in the USA.

The HDMI output is not listed as a "Monitor" output, in that chart (or on the back panel of the 1020) -- look again.

post #186 of 4548 Old 05-04-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_Wiebe View Post

GregLee -- Yes, but the question was "could the HDMI input be sent to the component outputs". The answer is no -- for all AVRs legally sold in the USA.

The HDMI output is not listed as a "Monitor" output, in that chart (or on the back panel of the 1020) -- look again.

However, on page 70, it says that the HDMI Out connector will work as a Monitor Out jack.

Life is hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #187 of 4548 Old 05-04-2010, 02:24 PM

Thanks for the input guys. In the end, I decided to go with the Onkyo since I have a credit line with Newegg and I got the $120 (!!) iPod dock for free. After reading more in the 608 vs. 1020 thread, it seems like the Onkyo will probably have the better sound quality anyway. Maybe when I'm no longer in an apartment I'll look into a Pioneer Elite for next year or so.
post #188 of 4548 Old 05-04-2010, 03:14 PM

Sorry to bump this, but it looks like my post got lost in the shuffle. Is anyone able to answer this?

Thanks,

j

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathanwinn View Post

I have a 1020 on order from ABT, and am reading with some concern the discussion about digital sources not being available to speaker b. I have a ceiling speaker in my kitchen that I just installed, and I'd like it to simulcast what my 5.1 setup is actively playing (not a different source) in the kitchen for when I go get a beer, or for listening to the radio without blasting it from the other room, etc. Do I understand correctly that if the signal is from a digital source, i.e.: HDMI from the BDP / cable box or toslink from airport express, that the b speaker will not play without an additional analog input from these devices? Thanks for your attention.

post #189 of 4548 Old 05-04-2010, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Petrus -- Read that statement very carefully.
Quote:

V. CONV (Digital Video Conversion) -- Converts video signals for output from the MONITOR OUT jacks (including HDMI OUT connector) for all video types (see page 22).

This does not say that the HDMI out is a "Monitor" output. It only says that the V. CONV function applies to the HDMI output as well as to the other outputs.

Pioneer manuals, in general, have to be taken literally, with no guessing (even if what they say isn't clear).

dpenn63 -- The Onkyo 608 should be pretty good (at least the 607 was). The 607 was reported to be the coolest running of all of the Onkyo AVRs.

There is no real "best" AVR in the low cost range, anyway. It's a matter of cost vs. having the functions, options, connectivity, and power output that you need. There are minor performance differences, but those can usually be minimized by proper setup. There are some differences in the audio quality of the pre-amp stages, which can effect the character of the audio. Doing some listening tests should give you some idea what those are.

post #190 of 4548 Old 05-04-2010, 03:38 PM
AVS Special Member

jonathanwinn -- If you go way back to post #63, MitsuHelp asked that same question. However, what he found was that, apparently, Zone 2 can echo what is playing in your main (Zone 1) room. It's only if you want to send a different program material to Zone 2, that you have to use the analog inputs. There was some discussion following his post that further talked about this issue (with no real conclusions).

I don't have the 1020, and I haven't read the manual (downloaded from the Pioneer site) in detail, so I don't really know the answer.

post #191 of 4548 Old 05-04-2010, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the input CT_Wiebe. I will play around couple of more days.

1. I am having a 5.1 setup. So, what is the best speaker system setup in MCACC. This is a simple question but I am unable to find the answer from the manual. It is very confusing which setup I should use if I am using only 5.1 speakers.

What I meant was which of the setting from Page 100 - 1 to 5 I should be using? Is it Normal SB/FH or Normal SB/FW or Speaker B or Zone 2 for 5.1

In the manual it says before the Auto calibaration I need to choose one of the above system.
post #192 of 4548 Old 05-04-2010, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What I meant was which of the setting from Page 100 - 1 to 5 I should be using? Is it Normal SB/FH or Normal SB/FW or Speaker B or Zone 2 for 5.1

Since the difference among these settings concerns what you will do with the last two amplifier channels you have, then if you are only going to have the 5.1 speakers, I don't think it makes any difference. Choose "Normal SB/FH", say, and if you don't connect up either SB or FH speakers, this will be equivalent to "Normal" 5.1. When you do the calibration, MCACC will detect that you don't have either SB or FH, and will set you up accordingly.

Greg Lee
post #193 of 4548 Old 05-04-2010, 06:32 PM

OK, finally got my pioneer hooked up and the MCACC calibrated. It sounds pretty decent, I'm not BLOWN AWAY, but maybe its because i was used to my old receiver just being LOUD. But so far I'm loving it. Something I did notice is that the center channel is WAY more clear now, which is great for dialog. Sub could be louder, but thats just me liking bass

Couple questions I wanted to ask to see if anyone here would be able to help. I'm not new by any means to A/V stuff, but I'm no expert either. So ignore my stupidity if I ask obvious questions ha

1. I'm using an Onkyo sub, and it does have the volume knob on the back of the sub. Ive noticed that people say you should put it to like 30 or 40% then do the MCACC. I had mine all the way up to 100 percent (had it like that with my old receiver) when I ran the test. Would that explain the lower levels of bass? And should I redue the test with it set at a lower percentage?

2. The TrueHD and DTS-Master Audio is what sold me, Ive been screwing around with a couple of blu rays i have, but didn't notice a HUGE difference over the normal 5.1 tracks from my old receiver. Is it just me? or do i not have it calibrated right?

3. And finally (for now), I don't know if I'm just stupid or just not pressing something right. But I have my Playstation 3 (for movies) and my Xbox 360 (for games) running through the pioneer. PS3 is HDMI and 360 is component. The sounds coming through fine on the 5.1 but no sound is coming through on my TV. How can I fix this?

Thanks guys
post #194 of 4548 Old 05-04-2010, 06:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for the input CT_Wiebe. I will play around couple of more days.

In the manual it says before the Auto calibration I need to choose one of the above system.

First, go to page 19. You should hook up your speakers as Front R, Center, Front R, Surround Right, and Surround Left. Placement of the Front and center channels should be obvious -- around your display and centered around it (center channel under, preferred, or over the display, if a TV set and placed low). The 2 surround channels should be placed at either side of your listening position (on the walls is preferred) and about 2' (or more) above the listeners heads (and not aimed at them).

I can see why you are confused. Pages 100 and following are for the Advanced Setup, which is used for fine-tuning your system. The first thing you need to do is to set up the speakers per the instructions in Chapter 3, pages 14 through 36. You will not be using the "Height", "Wide, or "Zone 2" (speaker B) options at all. Your setup will be similar to the Plan "E", Main Zone, on page 16. You will not be using the "Surround Back" (SB) speakers either (those are for 7.1 channel only). Placing the Surround speakers as shown in Plan "E" Main Zone (page 16) only applies if you are using bookshelf type speakers for your surrounds (and not speakers designated specifically for surround sound use).

For your reference, the only speakers you will be setting up are (Pages 100 to 102) Front (FR & FL), Center, Surround R and Surround Left (Surr), and the sub-woofer (SW = Yes). To start with, you should set all of the main (5) channel speakers to "Small" and the Crossover to 80Hz. However, you don't have to worry about that to start with.

After completing the hook up, you should then run the Basic MCACC, per the instructions in Chapter 4, Basic Setup (pages 37 through 41). At that point, you can go to Chapter 11, The System and the other setup on pages 99 through 106. You can also go to Chapter 10, Advanced MCACC Menu (pages 85 through 98).

For starters, neither Chapter 10 or Chapter 11 is important. They can be very confusing, as you observed. All of the instructions in Chapter 11 have done nothing but create confusion. As I said, Chapter 11, and Chapter 10 (yes they should be reversed, IMHO, are for fine-tuning your setup, and not needed initially. Fortunately, MCACC is hard to confuse, if you have your speakers hooked up and placed correctly.

Sorry for rambling, but your questions sounded like you might need more detail than the manual gave you.

GregLee -- That's very close to being true, except that the Height/Width channels run off the "Speaker B" connections, and those will confuse MCACC, if they are used instead of the normal Front R&L outputs.

post #195 of 4548 Old 05-04-2010, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn View Post

I had mine [sub volume] all the way up to 100 percent (had it like that with my old receiver) when I ran the test. Would that explain the lower levels of bass? And should I redue the test with it set at a lower percentage?

Yes, that would explain it. Yes, you should redo it. (And then listen to something with bass, and if there's not enough, turn up the sub volume.)

Greg Lee
post #196 of 4548 Old 05-05-2010, 05:24 AM

[quote=GregLee;18583735]I'm looking at the chart on p. 22. It shows both component and composite inputs being converted to the other types.

Thanks CT_Wiebe.....I seem to remember this from years ago but forgot...
post #197 of 4548 Old 05-05-2010, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theheadsn View Post

OK, finally got my pioneer hooked up and the MCACC calibrated. It sounds pretty decent, I'm not BLOWN AWAY, but maybe its because i was used to my old receiver just being LOUD. But so far I'm loving it. Something I did notice is that the center channel is WAY more clear now, which is great for dialog. Sub could be louder, but thats just me liking bass

Couple questions I wanted to ask to see if anyone here would be able to help. I'm not new by any means to A/V stuff, but I'm no expert either. So ignore my stupidity if I ask obvious questions ha

1. I'm using an Onkyo sub, and it does have the volume knob on the back of the sub. Ive noticed that people say you should put it to like 30 or 40% then do the MCACC. I had mine all the way up to 100 percent (had it like that with my old receiver) when I ran the test. Would that explain the lower levels of bass? And should I redue the test with it set at a lower percentage?

2. The TrueHD and DTS-Master Audio is what sold me, Ive been screwing around with a couple of blu rays i have, but didn't notice a HUGE difference over the normal 5.1 tracks from my old receiver. Is it just me? or do i not have it calibrated right?

3. And finally (for now), I don't know if I'm just stupid or just not pressing something right. But I have my Playstation 3 (for movies) and my Xbox 360 (for games) running through the pioneer. PS3 is HDMI and 360 is component. The sounds coming through fine on the 5.1 but no sound is coming through on my TV. How can I fix this?

Thanks guys

1) The control on your sub is actually for gain (not explicitly volume). By setting to ~40% before calibration, you are sure to get clean results that aren't in left field. If you want more bass after calibration, boost the sw level a bit (just try and keep the sw level on the receiver at 0dB or lower). People will typically recommend a "sweet spot" of -3dB for a level as this makes sure there is no clipping on the signal coming from the receiver.

2) There shouldn't be a night and day difference between any of the high-end codecs.

3) If you have 5.1, you shouldn't be using your TV speakers for anything. The PS3 will get audio off HDMI, are you getting 5.1 audio from the Xbox 360? If not, what audio connection are you using with the Xbox 360?
post #198 of 4548 Old 05-05-2010, 12:13 PM

Has anybody tried to use "etherchannel" that HDMI 1.4 provides?
What are the uses and is there any special cable required?
post #199 of 4548 Old 05-05-2010, 12:20 PM

Hi Guys,
just wanted to ask a simple question for the ppl who already have this receiver set up. Does this receiver have enough power outup for 5 floorstanding speakers at decent loud volume without distortion. I am thinking of running this with ED Mtm floorstanding for front and ED mtm for center and ED A5S=300 Sub and also two Polk Monitor 60s for the surround. I want to make sure i can use this to play loud music for home parties and abvoiusly the blueray movies.
I can also use better idea for speakes with this one as i have to buy everything now. My budget is around $2000.00 including speakers, Sub and receiver.

Thanks
post #200 of 4548 Old 05-05-2010, 12:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked: 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by didadi View Post

Has anybody tried to use "etherchannel" that HDMI 1.4 provides?
What are the uses and is there any special cable required?

Yes. The HDMI Ethernet Channel feature will require a new type of cable, either a Standard HDMI Cable with Ethernet or a High-Speed HDMI Cable with Ethernet, depending on the maximum resolution to be supported.

The HDMI 1.4 specification adds a data channel to the HDMI connection, enabling high-speed, bi-directional communication. Connected devices that include this feature can send and receive data via 100 Mb/sec Ethernet, making them instantly ready for any IP-based application. The HDMI Ethernet Channel allows internet-enabled HDMI devices to share an internet connection via the HDMI link, with no need for a separate Ethernet cable. It also provides the connection platform that will allow HDMI-enabled components to share content between devices.

Uncle Willie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #201 of 4548 Old 05-05-2010, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the info / Wiki para. What exact kind of cable you are talking? Can I plug into my router to get an IP over HDMI and use it?
post #202 of 4548 Old 05-05-2010, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

keep in mind it (ethernet over hdmi) is an optional part of the spec, and may or may not be supported in every device that is hdmi 1.4....

i wouldn't hold my breath... iirc, kurt the cable guy (bluejeans cable) commented several months ago that he didn't expect anyone to implement it soon... as always, that's subject to change...

i can see it being a bit more useful in the car world than the home world, actually...

edit: it will look like any other hdmi cable from the outside...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #203 of 4548 Old 05-05-2010, 01:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Thanks for the info / Wiki para. What exact kind of cable you are talking? Can I plug into my router to get an IP over HDMI and use it?

You would need a router with an HDMI port.. I've not seen any... perhaps there is an HDMI cable with an ethernet plug on one end and an HDMI plug on the other.. don't know, it's pretty new stuff

Uncle Willie

: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?
post #204 of 4548 Old 05-05-2010, 01:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

at the risk of repeating myself...

it will look just like your existing hdmi cable from the outside...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

post #205 of 4548 Old 05-05-2010, 01:12 PM

hmm..thats not a promising info though . My understanding is, if ONE device (X) is connected to internet and there is a 1.4 HDMI enabled device (Y) connected to device X - then Y can also have IP based traffic coming into.
post #206 of 4548 Old 05-05-2010, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

You would need a router with an HDMI port.. I've not seen any... perhaps there is an HDMI cable with an ethernet plug on one end and an HDMI plug on the other.. don't know, it's pretty new stuff

- Or perhaps a simple Ethernet-to-HDMI adapter that can plug into your existing router...Yes, indeed new stuff.
post #207 of 4548 Old 05-05-2010, 01:14 PM
AVS Addicted Member

^^^

yup. as long as implemented, that's a correct understanding...

i don't see it as particularly useful... a cheap switch would be just as effective and no doubt be more reliable...

- chris

post #208 of 4548 Old 05-05-2010, 01:18 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

at the risk of repeating myself...

it will look just like your existing hdmi cable from the outside...

I'm thinking if someone has not already come up with it, an HDMI cable with an ethernet plug on one end for use with existing routers / switches would be a money maker.

Uncle Willie

post #209 of 4548 Old 05-05-2010, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

hmm..thats not a promising info though . My understanding is, if ONE device (X) is connected to internet and there is a 1.4 HDMI enabled device (Y) connected to device X - then Y can also have IP based traffic coming into.

One device to Rule Them All ..

Uncle Willie

post #210 of 4548 Old 05-05-2010, 01:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

I'm thinking if someone has not already come up with it, an HDMI cable with an ethernet plug on one end for use with existing routers / switches would be a money maker.

four letters...

h... d... c... p...

- chris

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page