How to DIY ; TX-SR576/TX-SR606/etc HDMI daughterboard repair (for dummies?) - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 885 Old 10-03-2011, 06:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by danmanca View Post

I believe I found them. Are these the fuses that need to be replaced?

Danmanca... its actually right next to the high capacity power supply. You will need a mirror to see it. Mine was blown.... its a 5 amps 125 volt fuse.

After a workable but rather ugly wire job... I think I have a working unit.. i'll let you know when I replace the fuse.

--
Edit... It works like a dream now. Thanks for all the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 885 Old 10-05-2011, 08:47 PM

I DESPERATELY need someone's help to fix my SR 606. Anyone in the NYC/Westchester area here able to do this job for me? PM me please!
post #363 of 885 Old 10-05-2011, 11:37 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_Moler View Post

I DESPERATELY need someone's help to fix my SR 606. Anyone in the NYC/Westchester area here able to do this job for me? PM me please!

There's a guy on eBay that does good work. Just search on "Onkyo TX-SR606 Repair Service" - but then you already knew that . . .
post #364 of 885 Old 10-06-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBacksFan5205 View Post

There's a guy on eBay that does good work. Just search on "Onkyo TX-SR606 Repair Service" - but then you already knew that . . .

I saw him and emailed him, but he's located in the south-west. I'm hoping to have someone local do it so I don't pay shipping and have a quick turn around.
post #365 of 885 Old 10-06-2011, 01:01 PM

@Dbacksfan

It use to take the receiver like 1 hr to warm up, but as of about a day ago, it seems completely dead with regards to outputting HDMI signals.
The guy I saw on ebay charges $75 + shipping, which would make this repair cost at least $100. It doesn't make much economic sense for me to do that as you can get a decent new receiver for about $150 on sale.

I'm really hoping that someone on here can help me out, I'm def willing to pay a reasonable price if they are within commuting distance of NYC/Westchester.
post #366 of 885 Old 10-08-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:

@Dbacksfan

It use to take the receiver like 1 hr to warm up, but as of about a day ago, it seems completely dead with regards to outputting HDMI signals.
The guy I saw on ebay charges $75 + shipping, which would make this repair cost at least $100. It doesn't make much economic sense for me to do that as you can get a decent new receiver for about $150 on sale.

I'm really hoping that someone on here can help me out, I'm def willing to pay a reasonable price if they are within commuting distance of NYC/Westchester.

Seriously, If you are considering getting a new receiver for cheap then you should consider doing the cap swap yourself. You know when your Onkyo receiver is working properly nothing can compare to it. Take your time and you may be surprised with your results.

An alternative to doing it yourself is to buy the new caps, remove the HDMI daughter board, and then take the caps and the board to a computer repair shop. These guys not only fix programs and crap but they also solder all sorts of computer boards, etc. Show them what caps to replace and in a day or two you're good to go.

I have an Onkyo tx-sr706 and the HDMI board has 12 of those caps and a few were in too tight a location for me to try to remove with my bulky tools. I also suck at soldering so that is why I went the computer store route and it only cost me $30. I brought a printout of the first page of this DIY (with the photos), explained to the computer guy what needed to be done and he knocked it out.

GOOD LUCK!!
post #367 of 885 Old 10-08-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by since15 View Post

Seriously, If you are considering getting a new receiver for cheap then you should consider doing the cap swap yourself. You know when your Onkyo receiver is working properly nothing can compare to it. Take your time and you may be surprised with your results.

An alternative to doing it yourself is to buy the new caps, remove the HDMI daughter board, and then take the caps and the board to a computer repair shop. These guys not only fix programs and crap but they also solder all sorts of computer boards, etc. Show them what caps to replace and in a day or two you're good to go.

I have an Onkyo tx-sr706 and the HDMI board has 12 of those caps and a few were in too tight a location for me to try to remove with my bulky tools. I also suck at soldering so that is why I went the computer store route and it only cost me $30. I brought a printout of the first page of this DIY (with the photos), explained to the computer guy what needed to be done and he knocked it out.

GOOD LUCK!!

That's an option that I didn't consider, I asked an audio repair guy and he charges like $100 minimum. I guess I'll try this route, for the time being, I removed all my HDMIs and I'm using optical and coaxial inputs. :-\\ Not awesome, but still a workable solution.
post #368 of 885 Old 10-08-2011, 06:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have a couple of questions, I have a 606 that I bought Black Friday, last year. I haven't set it up yet but will be setting it up next month.

What are the symptoms of the problem eveyone is talking about? From what I read it seems like it takes a while for it to appear. Is that correct.

If there is a problem why isn't Onkyo taking care of it, especially if it's a design problem. I would think they would honor expired warranties especially if this could be a possible fire hazzard. I did see someone mention that the unit heated up.
post #369 of 885 Old 10-08-2011, 08:58 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Did you buy it brand new or used ?
Depending on the installation conditions, it appears sooner or later.
post #370 of 885 Old 10-09-2011, 05:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gurkey View Post

Did you buy it brand new or used ?
Depending on the installation conditions, it appears sooner or later.

I bought it brand new. I used AMEX so that will give me another year warranty coverage on it. It won't be getting heavy use so maybe it will hold up. It will be replacing my 605 or 506, can't remember the model right now. I have 2 additional fans on the top of that one pulling air out, it does get warm.
post #371 of 885 Old 10-09-2011, 09:21 AM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostdude View Post

Hi,

Can anyone tel me, which will be the best method to remove the hdmi board from the 3 plugs

Thanks!!

I'm also having issues on removing the hdmi board. A little help would be greatly appreciated.
post #372 of 885 Old 10-09-2011, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnerbum View Post

I have a couple of questions, I have a 606 that I bought Black Friday, last year. I haven't set it up yet but will be setting it up next month.

What are the symptoms of the problem eveyone is talking about? From what I read it seems like it takes a while for it to appear. Is that correct.

If there is a problem why isn't Onkyo taking care of it, especially if it's a design problem. I would think they would honor expired warranties especially if this could be a possible fire hazzard. I did see someone mention that the unit heated up.

As I stated, I have a 706 and it started malfunctioning almost a year later after purchase. Then, right after I realized it was a serious issue my warrantiy was up. The unit started to take more than 10 sec to show an image and then it started to take a few minutes. My Samsung screen would say no signal and then I would get sound only. After a while there would be sound and the image on the screen would be fuzzy. At its worst, I would turn it on and have to wait approximately 30-40 minutes to get an image and sound.

Dealing with Onkyo was a nightmare. They know there is a problem and don't give two sh!ts... once the warranty has expired.
post #373 of 885 Old 10-09-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvlAsh View Post

I'm also having issues on removing the hdmi board. A little help would be greatly appreciated.

Gentle wiggling manipulation. I used a thin small screw driver once enough space developed.
post #374 of 885 Old 10-09-2011, 10:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by since View Post

Dealing with Onkyo was a nightmare. They know there is a problem and don't give two sh!ts... once the warranty has expired.

That's too bad about Onkyo. And me since I talked my friend into buying one the same time I did. I told him that it was supposed to be such a good amp. I know he isn't using HDMI right now but I wonder if this problem will show up anyway when he tries since the circuitry is on when ever the amp is on.

I wonder if we should both call Onkyo and tell them we have the problem while they are still in warranty. I would assume that would mean shipping the unit back to them.
post #375 of 885 Old 10-09-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

I just checked my reciept online, I bought it 12/6/10 not Black Friday and I bought the SR608. Is this one included in the problem units? I would assume it is.

Maybe it's my one at home that is the 606 can't remember.
post #376 of 885 Old 10-09-2011, 11:01 AM

The way my problem started was that slowly, my HDMI connections would not switch instantly. At first, the wait was 5 minutes and then it slowly crept up to 30 mins to over and hour and now, never. Onkyo is very aware of this problem, but even when I was in warranty, they said I had to pay shipping both ways and it would take weeks to fix. I don't think thats a very polite way to behave with a product that the company actually knows if faulty. I will have to seriously consider buying another Onkyo receiver. Although the quality is good, I don't support companies with crappy customer service.
post #377 of 885 Old 10-09-2011, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by since15 View Post

Gentle wiggling manipulation. I used a thin small screw driver once enough space developed.

Thanks. I finally managed to get it out.
post #378 of 885 Old 10-09-2011, 02:53 PM

Hi Everybody. Thanks again to Mister CZ and maybe he could help someone again.
I have a TX-SR576 (France). When the HDMI stop to work, I decided to change the daughter card (bought directly to a technical center). So after replace it...click...click > Security mode (protect). I have checked the 3 fuses I could found. I have searched the hidden fuse near the power unit but nothing here... just one resistor! Is there any other protection ? Have you any idea ?

Thanks for your answer.
post #379 of 885 Old 10-09-2011, 05:35 PM

Hi, I just went to "The Source" and all they had was a pack of 20 assorted caps. so I bought it to find 2 16v 100uf caps all others where nothing close to what I need. Now I've read that some have had success with replacing only two of the caps "on the left" so this is what I'm going to try. but i was hoping some could clarify for exactly what the means. the left from what view point? and both on the bottom of the board or one on the bottom and one on the top?

Any info will be much appreciated.

Thanks for the help and thanks for this thread. when this first happened to me, a couple years ago now. I found lots of complaints but no fixes. Now its so bad i was read to go out and replace it. But I thought I'd check into it again first. I'm glad I did.

Thanks again.

Wow, sorry for the dumb question.
post #380 of 885 Old 10-09-2011, 05:59 PM

Back around March/April, I had my TX-SR606 serviced by an authorized Onkyo service center, on Onkyo's dime. The tech told me he had replaced all the bad capacitors, but didn't state how many. Anyway, the OSD was finally working, but the HDMI issue (which was the main reason I took it in for servicing) persisted. When I called the service center back, the tech told me that there was nothing he could do to make HDMI devices connect quicker.

Fast forward to late September and the handshake issue has gotten worse. Now I had to warm up the amp for about 40 minutes before it would recognize any connected devices via HDMI. But it got worse, not only did I have to warm up the amp, but now I had to wait a couple more minutes for my devices to handshake properly!

So yesterday I decided to attempt to fix the handshake issue by replacing the rest of the caps. So what did I find when I opened the amp up? I found out that the #$%^$ service center did nothing but solder on 1 capacitor as a bridge between two chips! That's it! They did just enough to get the OSD working and nothing else.

Finally, this afternoon I replaced all five caps -- using the tutorial in this thread and Ed's Youtube video -- reconnected every thing and fired up my amp and PS3. Success!!! Every thing is now working properly and it now only takes 3 seconds (like it should) for the amp to recognize my HDMI devices and the OSD still works!

I'd like to thank the OP for taking the time and sharing his knowledge, on how to fix this handshake issue, with the AVSforum community. I will also be filing a complaint with Onkyo about the service center.
post #381 of 885 Old 10-09-2011, 08:04 PM

Quote:

Back around March/April, I had my TX-SR606 serviced by an authorized Onkyo service center, on Onkyo's dime. The tech told me he had replaced all the bad capacitors, but didn't state how many. Anyway, the OSD was finally working, but the HDMI issue (which was the main reason I took it in for servicing) persisted. When I called the service center back, the tech told me that there was nothing he could do to make HDMI devices connect quicker.

Fast forward to late September and the handshake issue has gotten worse. Now I had to warm up the amp for about 40 minutes before it would recognize any connected devices via HDMI. But it got worse, not only did I have to warm up the amp, but now I had to wait a couple more minutes for my devices to handshake properly!

So yesterday I decided to attempt to fix the handshake issue by replacing the rest of the caps. So what did I find when I opened the amp up? I found out that the #$%^$ service center did nothing but solder on 1 capacitor as a bridge between two chips! That's it! They did just enough to get the OSD working and nothing else.

Finally, this afternoon I replaced all five caps -- using the tutorial in this thread and Ed's Youtube video -- reconnected every thing and fired up my amp and PS3. Success!!! Every thing is now working properly and it now only takes 3 seconds (like it should) for the amp to recognize my HDMI devices and the OSD still works!

I'd like to thank the OP for taking the time and sharing his knowledge, on how to fix this handshake issue, with the AVSforum community. I will also be filing a complaint with Onkyo about the service center.

Can you post a link to that youtube vid?
post #382 of 885 Old 10-09-2011, 09:54 PM

Quote:

How to fix an Onkyo receiver - TX-SR606 - By Ed

search you tube for that. I'd post a direct link, but i cant until I have 3 posts.
post #383 of 885 Old 10-09-2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:

Here you go.

post #384 of 885 Old 10-10-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:

Here you go.

Much appreciated guys
post #385 of 885 Old 10-10-2011, 10:57 AM

Well I replaced the 2 caps on the left of the bottom of the board. Unfortunately to no avail. as soon as I turn it on with my xbox 360 I saw the loading screen, but then when it switched to the xbox dash it went black and the receiver said no signal. Also the OSD still doesn't work. So I don't know why it worked for a second and the stopped but tomorrow I will be going to a proper electronics retailer and getting enough caps to replace all the 100uf's on the board, including the two I already replaced just to make sure they are all the same.

I will post results as soon as i have them.
post #386 of 885 Old 10-10-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:

It's forums like this, people like CZ_the_day, and stories like the one quoted above that really makes me appreciate DIY, my fellow enthusiasts (whatever the interest), and the good aspects of the internet.
post #387 of 885 Old 10-10-2011, 10:20 PM

Hello all. Thanks for those who have submitted the extremely detailed DIY posts. I'm an AVR novice but would appreciate some feedback.

I have the Onkyo TX-SR606. I bought it in January of 2009 so it's out of warranty. The firmware is Main 1.03/08630A.

I don't believe I have an issue with HDMI handshaking. It seems to handshake within 3-4 seconds. The problem I do have is very random video and audio loss. It drops every 15 minutes or so and only drops for about 1-2 seconds. It's enough for the video and audio to cut out and when the picture comes back up my Samsung LCD displays the usual 1080i/60 OSD like it always will when establishing a signal.

Here's the kicker, it only happens on my Dish Network receiver. I've replaced the receiver and have used 4 different brand of cables. It only happens over HDMI, not component. It also happens while using the Cable/Sat, AUX, and Game inputs. Does NOT happen using the DVD input. I've put my BD player and Xbox360 on the Cable/Sat input to try and reproduce the problem and cannot so it really seems isolated to the Dish Network receiver, but like I said, I've replaced it and the cables.

The problem appears to be happening a little more frequent. At first it might have happened once every few hours and has begun happening once an hour to once every 15 minutes. It doesn't appear to be heat related (ventilation hasn't changed behavior) and it doesn't matter how long the AVR has been powered on. I've had it happen after a minute or two of operation or after hours.

I also get very quick flashes of horizontal lines of "noise" that are extremely thin that most people probably wouldn't notice. I'm rather picky about technology though so I notice these things. The lines only flash for a very brief second and just look like noise artifacts. They happen very infrequently. Probably once every 3-4 minutes and you can barely notice them unless you're paying attention. They appear in random spots of the screen, are always horizontal and pixelated, very thin (few pixels thick?) and only span a portion of the screen (not all the way across). I've never noticed these until a few weeks ago.

I know this is a really long post but I'm trying to provide as much information as possible because this is really driving me nuts and I'm at the end of my troubleshooting knowledge of these things. This thread has given me hope but I really don't want to crack this box open unless I really have to and I'm not entirely convinced my problem is related to the problem addressed in this thread. But I'm really not the expert here so I value your opinion.

I really appreciate any feedback and thanks again for the great thread.

Thanks,
Mike
post #388 of 885 Old 10-13-2011, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:

Glad you got it working. Any idea what chips the cap was put between and the type they used. HDMI working fine but my OSD is on and off and I do not get component to HDMI anymore. Thanks.
post #389 of 885 Old 10-14-2011, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericvq View Post

Glad you got it working. Any idea what chips the cap was put between and the type they used. HDMI working fine but my OSD is on and off and I do not get component to HDMI anymore. Thanks.

The cap that they used was 100 microfarads 16v

post #390 of 885 Old 10-15-2011, 04:45 PM

Great thread! I had issues that I was able to solve by doing the cap swap. (I have tons of soldering XP and recently revived Vizio power supply and a Linksys router)

The 606 receiver works like new, minus OSD but that's OK however after about 15 minutes the screen looks like you pulled the red connector from a component connection: Blues and Magentas are all the picture shows and it looks all blocky (8 bit)

I suspect the caps or something is getting hot and cranky. I checked all my joints and they're good. I was hoping someone might offer a troubleshooting approach. I might pull it again and check to see if there's some rogue flux.

Thanks again for providing the information!

UPDATE: I cleaned and re-soldered (re-heated) all my joints and this time the good picture lasted for hours. 30 min into playing the PS3 I lost the quality and I'm back to Blue/Magenta screen. At this point I'm going to assume it's heat and treat as such. I have a fan all ready to mount and piggy back off the 5 pin HDMI board power plug, just need to do so.

-Makrel
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr606 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page