How to DIY ; TX-SR576/TX-SR606/etc HDMI daughterboard repair (for dummies?) - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 872 Old 06-27-2012, 05:40 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a TX-SR605 with the HDMI problem. I replaced 100 Mfd Caps and unit worked for about 5 hours then problem came back. Shut it down and tried a couple hours later...still not working. I unplugged the unit and tried it again this morning. Unit appeared to be working again and did work for a few hours then stopped. The cover is not on during these tests and the board didn't seem especially warm. Has anyone else experienced an apparent fix that only lasts a few hours?

I saw some discussion about adding 1 Mfd caps across the regulator transistors - what is the reason for these caps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 872 Old 07-02-2012, 03:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 42
crap... My Onkyo TX-NR906 (which was repaired by Onkyo a few months ago) is acting up again... I am having intermittent pink and green vertical bars appearing on screen. I used the Onkyo in an air conditioned environment (72 degrees). I have a 120mm fan extracting air from the back of the receiver where teh HDMI board is... I even have a heat sink attached to the HQV processor.

If it's not a BIG screen, it's not a theater...
post #543 of 872 Old 07-04-2012, 03:34 PM

so I did the fix and my hdmi handshake is working well.. but unfortunately I have no sound! During the fix I kind of pulled on the 5 black wire connector thinking it needed to come off completely but thankfully I was able to figure out that I only had to press on it and take off the wires. The connector is still there but it have become a little loose. There is also two brow pins on the card that the three white plugs go into... I want to figure out this audio issue, can someone help me. I'm not very technical, semi-noob with eletronic parts more precisely. Here are some pics of the brown pins:
photo1.JPG 155k .JPG file
photo 2.JPG 164k .JPG file
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo1.JPG (154.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg photo 2.JPG (164.1 KB, 54 views)
post #544 of 872 Old 07-05-2012, 12:57 PM

I am just starting on this HDMI problem with my TX-SR706. Glad to have found these DYI instructions . Removal of the daughter board went smoothly, as described. There is a "keeper" screw to be removed at the connector end. I found on the top quantity 4 of 100uf @4v. On the bottom there are seven 100uf @ 4v and three 100uf @ 16v.
The PCB technology is a bit beyond my experience with Luxman receivers vintage 1975. I did not find the hoped for solder side where desoldering wick will easily clean out solder. The only obvious attachment of the capacitor "cans" seems to be a solder pad on each side (180 degrees). Can I safely desolder at these pads and then reattach a new radial capacitor. I am hesitant to try the twisting detachment method. In some locations there is another component on the other side. Nowhere can I find capacitor component leads on the other side which I could desolder. So, is this all surface mount stuff? Thanks. I will report my progress. Don
post #545 of 872 Old 07-06-2012, 12:32 PM

Liked: 11
I just joined to say THANKS, THANKS, THANKS!!! to everyone who contributed to this amazing thread.

I've been a hobby solderist for most of my adult life, and am very confident in my skillset to do this myself. I picked up a TX-SR606 for free off of craigslist about 2 weeks ago and the original owner stated he was giving it away due to the HDMI handshaking issue. After getting it home, I tested it and it took about 15 minutes to display on my LCD TV and the OSD wasn't working either. Sound was great, but no video for 15 minutes.

I did some research and found this site noticing that many other ONKYO owners were experiencing the same thing as me and was almost ready to purchase the necessary caps when I read @HolderCJ's experience with ONKYO tech support (post #531). As a shot in the dark, I decided to try my luck and sent them an email via their web page stating my symptoms and if they could contact me to see what my options were.

To my surprise eek.gif, I received an email today from ONKYO authorizing a one time warranty accomodation even though my receiver is way past warranty and to ship it the local repair shop, which is about a mile from my house, so I can just drop it off there and save myself the shipping biggrin.gif.

I will update once I get my receiver back to see if they fixed the issue, but for them to cover it under warranty is pretty awesome and I just wanted to let others know that if you are at your wits end, at least try to email their support via the website and they might just surprise you with what they are willing to cover even if your receiver is not under warranty anymore.

Again, THANK YOU ALL for contributing as this is a great resource for those who are DIYers and hobbyists who really enjoy fixing things themselves.
CZ_the_DAY likes this.
post #546 of 872 Old 07-10-2012, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacks View Post

so I did the fix and my hdmi handshake is working well.. but unfortunately I have no sound! During the fix I kind of pulled on the 5 black wire connector thinking it needed to come off completely but thankfully I was able to figure out that I only had to press on it and take off the wires. The connector is still there but it have become a little loose. There is also two brow pins on the card that the three white plugs go into... I want to figure out this audio issue, can someone help me. I'm not very technical, semi-noob with eletronic parts more precisely. Here are some pics of the brown pins:
photo1.JPG 155k .JPG file
photo 2.JPG 164k .JPG file

Has anyone come out with a solution of no AUDIO after the fix.. would it be a problem with the 5 black wires that go into the white connector? Or maybe the does it have to do that the card on which the three white plugs go into has two brown solders on the most rear plug connector?
post #547 of 872 Old 07-10-2012, 03:52 PM

Just an update from my post from the other day. The shop told me 2 weeks was the expected repair time, but they called today, just two days after I brought it in to them and said the receiver was fixed. The charge was $250, but I didn't care since ONKYO was covering it. Curious as to what they did, I opened it up and took a look see. Basically, replaced the (4) 4v 100uF caps on the bottom of the board and (1) 4v 100uF cap on the top. Also bridged the regulators with (4) 50v 1uf caps. They did a great job with the soldering and used smd caps for the 4v 100uF caps.

Put it back together and tested the functions. So far so good. OSD works now. HDMI switching now working as expected and no warm up time for any video. Needless to say, I'm absolutely thrilled with the results and wouldn't have even tried to go with the warranty accomodation route had I not read this thread. Will reference this thread if I need to do this repair again in the near future.

Thanks again to all who have contributed to a great thread.
post #548 of 872 Old 07-10-2012, 04:58 PM

Had my SR606 since 11/08 and it worked fine for 1+ years but then started displaying HDMI switching issue. I called support back then and they were no help ("probably a HDCP problem between equipment") so I've been using my TV for most HDMI inputs and it has worked out until recently when I want to hookup my DirecTV and no more HDMI ports on TV. Besides, the HDMI in from TV has been giving me intermittent problems where I need to cycle power to get things to work so I went looking for answers and lo and behold! here is the solution. After reading Brandop's post I was encouraged that they might stand behind their product and repair it for me so I filled out their online support form last weekend and am awaiting a reply ( 2 full working days now). If they don't fix it for me--I'm sure I can do it myself with these helpful posts but they won't benefit from any future recommendations from me. Thanks to everyone who contributed!
post #549 of 872 Old 07-10-2012, 10:38 PM

mmcalli,

I'll have to check, but I got my reply a full 7 days from when I submitted the inquiry from the webpage, so just be patient. I might add that I made sure to include in my email as HolderCJ did, the TSB including the number. I don't know if that makes a difference or not to tell you the truth. My line of thinking was that the worse they could do was say "No", so there was no harm in trying. Had they not fixed it for me, I would have gone ahead and made the repairs myself. I'm hoping that ONKYO has realized the faulty design of the board from inception and is granting warranty accomodations to those who have this issue. I've always thought highly of ONKYO products and even more so now that they are standing behind their products, at least in my instance.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, and hope ONKYO does the same for you as they have for me. Please let us know if they come through with this accomodation for you. I'm a little curious as to what the success rate of these requests are (well, I know at least 2 of us now with myself and HolderCJ).

Good luck!
post #550 of 872 Old 07-21-2012, 03:12 PM

I am happy to report that my Onkyo SR706 HDMI problem is fixed. As per the DIY thread, all 100uf capacitors on the HDMI daughter board were replaced. Part No. 020-1704 from Parts Express, 100uf 16V High Temp Radial was used. I only unplugged the daughter board. Did not remove any other connections since the board can be flipped over to access both sides. Capacitors lay parallel to the board. I made a "Z"on the leads. Straight out about 1/4 inch, down 1/4 inch and cut leaving about 1/32 inch for soldering to the board pad. Get a temperature controlled soldering iron with a reasonably small tip. It is worth it. I taped the capacitor with blue painter's tape for soldering. Watch your tip position. There is at least one very close SM resistor. Keep the tip to the inside of the pair of leads and lift the tip up as the solder flows. This creates a nice "Hershey's Kiss" joint. Remove tape. Look with a magifying glass as you pull the radial capacitor up slightly for no contact with the other components and a check for solid solder. Thanks again for the sharing of this thread. Don
post #551 of 872 Old 07-26-2012, 01:18 AM

I have the same HDMI switching problem with my Onkyo TX-SR507 (bought february february 2010) .

So I only have two replace the two 100uF capacitors at the bottom of the HDMI board? There are simply no more 100uF capacitors on this board.

photo2gb.jpg
By emtoonst at 2012-07-26

photo1zf.jpg
By emtoonst at 2012-07-26
post #552 of 872 Old 08-09-2012, 01:21 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandop View Post

I just joined to say THANKS, THANKS, THANKS!!! to everyone who contributed to this amazing thread.
I've been a hobby solderist for most of my adult life, and am very confident in my skillset to do this myself. I picked up a TX-SR606 for free off of craigslist about 2 weeks ago and the original owner stated he was giving it away due to the HDMI handshaking issue. After getting it home, I tested it and it took about 15 minutes to display on my LCD TV and the OSD wasn't working either. Sound was great, but no video for 15 minutes.
I did some research and found this site noticing that many other ONKYO owners were experiencing the same thing as me and was almost ready to purchase the necessary caps when I read @HolderCJ's experience with ONKYO tech support (post #531). As a shot in the dark, I decided to try my luck and sent them an email via their web page stating my symptoms and if they could contact me to see what my options were.
To my surprise eek.gif, I received an email today from ONKYO authorizing a one time warranty accomodation even though my receiver is way past warranty and to ship it the local repair shop, which is about a mile from my house, so I can just drop it off there and save myself the shipping biggrin.gif.
I will update once I get my receiver back to see if they fixed the issue, but for them to cover it under warranty is pretty awesome and I just wanted to let others know that if you are at your wits end, at least try to email their support via the website and they might just surprise you with what they are willing to cover even if your receiver is not under warranty anymore.
Again, THANK YOU ALL for contributing as this is a great resource for those who are DIYers and hobbyists who really enjoy fixing things themselves.
Hi Brandop,

This issue has finally popped up on my Onkyo, I've been out of warranty a little over a year so what have I got to lose going to try contacting them. The thing I'm worried about though is that I might not have my original receipt, but I do remember registering it before on the website. Is the OG receipt needed if they offer up a 1-time repair?

Also what was the email/support page can you link me? I am hoping this goes over well and gets to the right people. There seems to be a number of ways to contact them online.

Thanks!

EDIT: I've actually found my receipt and sent them off an email here's to hoping for a fix by them
post #553 of 872 Old 08-13-2012, 05:54 AM

Hi jbdawson,

I didn't have the original receipt as I got this second hand and neither ONKYO or the service repair center required this. Here is the link I used:

http://www.us.onkyo.com/feedback_form.cfm?Source=hdrmenu

It took them about a week to respond to my request, but they did respond. I wish you good luck and let us know if this was a positive result.

brandop
post #554 of 872 Old 08-13-2012, 09:21 AM

Liked: 13
Has anyone here attempted to perform this repair on an Onkyo PR-SC885 Pre/Pro. I am not sure if they suffer from the same problem. My HDMI output is out and was wondering if they are prone to the same problem, mainly overheating.

Edgar
post #555 of 872 Old 08-17-2012, 11:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Hi jbdawson,
I didn't have the original receipt as I got this second hand and neither ONKYO or the service repair center required this. Here is the link I used:
http://www.us.onkyo.com/feedback_form.cfm?Source=hdrmenu
It took them about a week to respond to my request, but they did respond. I wish you good luck and let us know if this was a positive result.
brandop
Thanks Brando appreciate your response, well turns out I found my receipt and sent them an email. I explained that after researching online it appears to be the capacitors, but before tearing the unit apart and trying to fix myself I am contacting them to see what my options are. I purchased in 2009 so I am 1-year out of warranty here's the response I got.

Was your follow up email similar to this one? It's been 3 days still waiting to hear back from them. I was hoping this Home Theatre setup would last more than 3 years. If they really stand by their customers and fix this issue for me I will definitely recommend them to anybody willing to listen, if not I will not be buying an Onkyo product again.

Quote:
Hello Jeff,

Please contact our Parts & Services Dept via fax 201-934-7823 or email (parts@us.onkyo.com) at the number listed below during normal business hours Monday-Friday 9am-5pm EST. You will need to provide the following information: Name, address, contact info (telephone number/ email address); along with copy of sales receipt, model number, serial number; and full description of issue(s) of your HT-R667 receiver. Note: if you do not have your sales receipt; please provide information on date and dealer of purchase for your HT-R667 receiver. Your correspondence will be reviewed and handled by the Parts & Services representative who will contact you regarding your issue.

Please complete the Customer Written Statement form attached to this email and if you do not have a copy of the original sales receipt; please provide the dealer and date of purchase of yourHT-R667 and if you can provide a credit card statement showing the dealer and purchase- this would suffice. We will need 3-5 business days to process and review this service ticket and will contact you back promptly.

Thank you for contacting Onkyo and Integra USA Product Support, if you need further assistance feel free to call us at:

Onkyo Product Support: 800-229-1684

Integra Product Support: 800-225-1946
post #556 of 872 Old 08-17-2012, 04:08 PM

jbdawson,

This is the response I got from parts@us.onkyo.com. As you can see, it looks like the exact same response that HolderCJ received. You will also notice at the bottom what I originally put into my email. Again, at no point was I asked for proof of purchase. I hope this helps you or others out as to what is expected and what details I included in my email.

brandop
Quote:
Thank you for writing us here at Onkyo USA. It is very important for us to hear from our customers and to respond to them as soon as possible.

We would like to assist you. We will provide a one time warranty accommodation for your TXSR606 as long as there isn't any misuse or abuse to the unit.

Please ship or take your unit to : [my service center]. Thank you

All necessary paperwork will be forwarded to the service center. Thank you

If you have any further questions or concerns please feel free to reply, or give us a call at 1-201-785-2600 option 4 on the menu.

Sincerely,

Parts Department

201-934-7823: Fax

Sent: Friday, June 29, 2012 5:28 PM
To: ONKYOUSA, Parts
Subject: FW: TX-SR606 related question from Onkyo website

Sent: Thursday, June 28, 2012 1:43 PM
To: ONKYOUSA, Onkyo Admin
Subject: TX-SR606 related question from Onkyo website

Message from:
Name: [my name]
Address: [my address]
City: [my city]
State: [my state]
Zip: [my zip]
Email: [my email]
Phone: [my phone
Subject: feedback_form.cfm?cat=Receiver
Model: TX-SR606
Serial: [my serial]

Comments: I have a receiver that has an HDMI switching problem and takes over half an hour from cold boot to recognize any HDMI inputs. I've also noticed that the OSD is not functioning and my unit is out of warranty. I have read on many forums that this is due to capacitor failure on the HDMI daughter board and that ONKYO has a technical service bulleton #10012702 that addresses this known issue. I am wondering if there is a replacement board that I can order or anything else I can do to fix these issues? Can someone please contact me concerning this. Thank you
post #557 of 872 Old 08-18-2012, 12:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

jbdawson,
This is the response I got from parts@us.onkyo.com. As you can see, it looks like the exact same response that HolderCJ received. You will also notice at the bottom what I originally put into my email. Again, at no point was I asked for proof of purchase. I hope this helps you or others out as to what is expected and what details I included in my email.
brandop
Right on, well it looks like I'm now waiting for a response from (who replied to you guys) the parts@us.onkyo department. My first email did not reach them it was replied back from admin@onkyo or something to that sort, in which they directed me to the parts department.

BTW how long have you had your receiver fixed has it been fine ever since?
post #558 of 872 Old 08-18-2012, 06:49 PM

jbdawson,

I've had it fixed for a little over a month and it's working great. No complaints here.

brandop
post #559 of 872 Old 08-20-2012, 11:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

jbdawson,
I've had it fixed for a little over a month and it's working great. No complaints here.
brandop
sounds good still awaiting a response from them.
post #560 of 872 Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 AM

Hello all!

thanks to this thread i had my tx-sr606 running again.

HOWEVER..... the problem is back within an hour.
this is what i did.

- I'd replaced all the 100uf 4v capacitors for 100uf 10v 105degrees Panasonic capacitors.
- i'd add 4 1uF 50v capacitors over the regulators.

When all the work was done i placed the HDMI board back in to the receiver and fired it up.
Immediately the OSD is back ik i can switch between sources.

When happy with the results i unplugged the receiver to put the cover back on.
I placed the receiver back and started it again, but this time no OSD and no switching. eek.gif

so i cheked everything if something was not right. but everything is as it should. so i replaced again all capacitors and still no OSD and no HDMI switching.

i did find someone else who has this problem.

Can someone help me out with this?

Thanks in advance biggrin.gif
post #561 of 872 Old 08-21-2012, 01:26 PM

For any tx-sr508 owners out there. My refurb out of warranty had 2 of 4 hdmi ports fail.
I replaced all the caps (could only find 3 on this low end model) with radio shack 100mfd 35v caps. Was able to get 3/4 hdmi ports to work again. Since I only use 3 hdmi devices, I am happy with this simply fix. When this thing fails again, I will never buy Onkyo again. Yamaha seems like the consensus for duability.
post #562 of 872 Old 08-22-2012, 08:48 AM

Just did this to my 706 with the 100uf caps and I now have osd but my hdmi inputs dont work right. The only thing I could get to work was my ps3 if I hard reset the video resolution on it so I'm guessing 480p works but when it tries to find the best resolution it blanks back out. Think that the 1uf caps will help fix that? Also what regulators do you install them on?

EDIT****** Came home from work and messed with it a little more and found out that 480i/480p work through hdmi audio/video but there is a little bit of artifacts but 720 and 1080 do not work please help
post #563 of 872 Old 08-23-2012, 08:26 AM

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie2 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon S View Post

the 876/906 uses the HQV video processor... the HDMI board is a LOT more complex and expensive compared to the other models. I have asked if anyone has done any mods to see if they got it working but no response/luck.... guess it's because not many of the 876/906s were sold compared to the cheaper models...

After doing tons of research, I just managed to SUCCESSFULLY repair my TX-SR876 HDMI issues by applying the method and techniques discussed in this thread. I learned of the success people had repairing the 606 by replacing the 100uf caps, which appeared to be identical to the ones utilized on the 876 board. However, I could not find an example where someone had actually tried it on their 876. I figured I had nothing to lose by trying, since the HDMI inputs were all but useless. I had to wait 30 minutes before the receiver would recognize an HDMI signal. Most of the time i simply received a "NO SIGNAL" message.

There are 13 of the same 100uf 4V caps on the 876 HDMI board. 5 on the top and 8 on the bottom side.

I replaced each of the 100uf 4V capacitors with high-temp 100uF 16V caps I purchased from parts express.

After reinstalling the board and crossing my fingers, low and behold, SUCCESS! HDMI sync and switching works just like the day I bought the receiver. SO happy.
Just tried fixing my HDMI board which is similar to yours but all I get is a blue screen. I own a Onkyo PR-SC885 which has an identical board as your 876.
I do get sound but no video. I'm considering sending it to this seller on eBay.
Don't know if adding the 1uf 50V ceramic capacitor to the regulators would do anything. frown.gif

Update: Ordered 6 1uf 50V Cer Caps from Digi-Key and soldered them over the regulators. So far it is working. Hopefully it stays that way. Fingers crossed biggrin.gif
Scottthehat likes this.

Edgar
post #564 of 872 Old 08-23-2012, 01:11 PM

Hi all, Ihad a 606 that had problems with the hdmi board and did this and it worked a treat so thanks.
But now my 875 which i have only just replaced the ir sensor as it was duff, and now the i have snow on my ps3 and hd dvd player, will replacing the capaciotrs cure this problem and also is it the same as the 606, thanks for your time and effort.

sharp lcd 42"samsung ps59d550 plasma,onkyo 875/606,sherrwood 945 avr,sony md/cd/ps3,toshiba hd dvd/bluray,panasonic blu-ray,wharfdale front/center/15" sub+2 12",eltax liberty rears x2(7.1),jamo 12" fronts + rears,sky hd,teac td, spyder 4tvhd + chromapure calibration stuff. nikon d700/d300 + pro glas
post #565 of 872 Old 08-26-2012, 12:51 PM

bueller?........................bueller?.....................................bueller? hoping i can find someone with info on the 706 board ive looked all over and all i can find is 606 info please help

9-16-12
well i decided that i would just dive in and solder the 1uf caps on any voltage regulator that i could find on the hdmi board and it did the trick fixed the 720p+ on my receiver for more info see post #562
post #566 of 872 Old 09-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

jbdawson,
brandop
just a heads up not that it matters to you or anything but thought id follow up as you walked me through this. I finally got the email and am stoked to report they offered the one-time extended warranty fix.

I've sent it off did have to pay for shipping but no problemo for a like new unit in return. They said they will either replace the capacitors or the entire HDMI board. Thanks to all would have probably dumped my unit in the alley for the garbage man to pick up. smile.gif
post #567 of 872 Old 09-13-2012, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson View Post

just a heads up not that it matters to you or anything but thought id follow up as you walked me through this. I finally got the email and am stoked to report they offered the one-time extended warranty fix.
I've sent it off did have to pay for shipping but no problemo for a like new unit in return. They said they will either replace the capacitors or the entire HDMI board. Thanks to all would have probably dumped my unit in the alley for the garbage man to pick up. smile.gif

Sweet!! I'm really glad ONKYO is fixing this for you. The fact that they are granting this accommodation tells me they know these units were built with faulty capacitors that don't last due to heat and gradually gets worse over time.
post #568 of 872 Old 09-18-2012, 12:05 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Sweet!! I'm really glad ONKYO is fixing this for you. The fact that they are granting this accommodation tells me they know these units were built with faulty capacitors that don't last due to heat and gradually gets worse over time.
Yup, got one more question for you brandop tongue.gif

How long did it take for you to receive your unit back from the time it was sent off? I hope my repair center and onkyo are smart enough that the package requires a signature upon return as I'm on the go quite a bit
post #569 of 872 Old 09-20-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbdawson View Post

Yup, got one more question for you brandop tongue.gif
How long did it take for you to receive your unit back from the time it was sent off? I hope my repair center and onkyo are smart enough that the package requires a signature upon return as I'm on the go quite a bit

I actually had a service center about 2 miles from my house, so I didn't have to ship it. It was a one day turnaround for me, but ymmv since it is being shipped. I wouldn't think it would be more than 2 weeks at the latest.
post #570 of 872 Old 09-21-2012, 04:10 AM

Hi!

I was just wondering if this would be the "cure" to my problem..

I get sound throughput but no video signal, doesnt matter what input I pick.

So would switching all the capacitators indicated here in this wonderful thread help in my Onkyo NR609b?

Thanks for any insight biggrin.gif
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr606 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page