How to DIY ; TX-SR576/TX-SR606/etc HDMI daughterboard repair (for dummies?) - Page 33 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #961 of 974 Old 07-19-2015, 11:00 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
@dolivas :

What I meant was that the HDMI inputs don't work anymore. Before my repair attempt they just needed a few minutes of warm-up time, but now I have no sound at all.

Your described method for displaying the firmware apparently doesn't work with my unit!? I turned it on, held the display button and pressed the standby button, but nothing is displayed.

And yes, I successfuly installed a fan under the case cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 974 Old 07-19-2015, 11:05 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onkyo84 View Post
@dolivas :

What I meant was that the HDMI inputs don't work anymore. Before my repair attempt they just needed a few minutes of warm-up time, but now I have no sound at all.

Your described method for displaying the firmware apparently doesn't work with my unit!? I turned it on, held the display button and pressed the standby button, but nothing is displayed.

And yes, I successfuly installed a fan under the case cover.
That should display the firmware please try it again.

Did you have the fan wired to the HDMI board and was it there before the repair?

I need to see the firmware information first. Do you have video but no audio?

Are you sure the HDMI board is fully seated to the main board?

Last edited by dolivas; 07-19-2015 at 11:55 PM.
post #963 of 974 Old 07-20-2015, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolivas View Post
That should display the firmware please try it again.

Do you have the fan wired to the HDMI board and was it there before the repair?

I need to see the firmware information first. Do you have video but no audio?

Are you sure the HDMI board is fully seated to the main board?
I tried it several times, in different ways:
- pressed standby button directly after pressing (and holding) display button;
- pressed and held display button for a moment before pressing standby button
- held display button for about 3-4 seconds until it shows "Brightness: 0" and then pressed standby button
Every time pressing standby button while holding display button only does exactly the same as pressing only the display button

After replacing the first 5 caps, I only checked the OSD menu function assuming that everything else would be also fixed now. Then I installed the fan which can be removed at any time since it has a 3-pin molex connector. Currently, it is not connected.

No audio, no video signal if using only one HDMI cable. Usually (in order to be able to play 3d discs) I use two HDMI cables: one of the two connected to the TV (video), the other one connected to the receiver (audio).

The HDMI should be fully seated, yes. Take a look yourself:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00708.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	266.7 KB
ID:	838714   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00707.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	838722   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00706.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	212.7 KB
ID:	838730   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00705.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	349.0 KB
ID:	838738   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00704.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	321.7 KB
ID:	838746  

post #964 of 974 Old 07-20-2015, 12:22 AM

From the picture the board does not look like it's fully seated. I just looked at my test receiver and a board I just repaired and it looks like the connectors are in more.

Turn off and unplug the receiver.

Loosen all the screws on the HDMI connectors on the back of the unit.

Put your finger on the white connectors on the HDMI board and your thumbs on the Main board that it plugs into and squeeze the connectors together.

You do not have to go crazy but I bet you will feel them come together more.

I have a feeling that is why your not seeing the firmware information.

I just check my test receiver and all you should have to do is hold the display button and tap the on/standby button.

You should then see the main firmware version. If not you have something wrong.

Did you have the fan installed before the repair? Even if you did it should not be power off of the HDMI board. The board has enough power problem with out loading it down more plus you could be feeding noise back to the HDMI.

Let me now what you find.
Onkyo84 likes this.
post #965 of 974 Old 07-20-2015, 12:50 AM

Ok I just looked over your first set of pictures and I think I have found your problem.

You have created a short on C8084 to L8010 I hope you have not blown anything on the board!

Fix that short before you do anything else!!!!

You also have a lot of solder balls around that area you need to clean that up and look over the complete board to make sure you don't have them in other places. If they fall in the pins of one of those chips you're going to toast the board for sure.
Onkyo84 likes this.

Last edited by dolivas; 07-22-2015 at 08:41 PM.
post #966 of 974 Old 07-20-2015, 01:09 AM

Ok taking a closer look at all the caps in the pictures is also looks like C278 has what could be a short or at least very close.

Looks like you followed that YouTube video that says he left the capacitor leads on and just solder to them. NOT a good practice at all!!!

If it where me I would remove all the caps you installed remove all traces of the old capacitors. Get some solder wick and clean the pads add some fresh solder and reinstall all the capacitors.

The are other things that need to be done to these boards everyone thinks just replacing the caps is the fix..... Yes it works 75% of the time but with out adding the caps on the voltage regulators and few other that I have found to cause the VD flash to wipe.

I have a repair service if you should need it. I also make sure it has the latest VD firmware. Ver 1.20/08606A

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Onkyo-TX-SR6...item25a9f8cba3

That's all for tonight need to get some sleep.
Onkyo84 likes this.
post #967 of 974 Old 07-20-2015, 03:49 AM

Thumbs up

First things first: Everything is finally working again! This is so awesome!
Dolivas, you're my hero! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me! Thank you so much!

Here are the details:

At first I tried to squeeze the white HDMI connectors together a little bit more. By that I might have gained less than a millimeter, but still "no signal".
After having read your last two posts, I unplugged the HDMI board again and fixed that short between C8084 and L8010 (I propably would've never come up with that idea on my own).
I also checked C278, and although it looked fine, I rather readjusted it.
The final test after putting everything back together: HDMI 1 started working again immediately, just beautiful!

I even found the reason for my Onkyo not having displayed the firmware(s): I always used the remote control instead of pressing the buttons on the unit itself.
So, just for the sake of completeness (bought it in February 2009):
Main1.03/08630A
DSPSR606: 08611A
VD: 1.20/08606A
SR: -

Again: Many, many thanks to you, dolivas!
And of course also a big thank you to the rest of the community for pooling and exchanging your experiences and knowledge!

One last question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolivas View Post
The are other things that need to be done to these boards everyone thinks just replacing the caps is the fix..... Yes it works 75% of the time but with out adding the caps on the voltage regulators and few other that I have found to cause the VD flash to wipe.
Is this what "ghettosuperstar" executed on his board (see page 4, post 93)? Should I do that too as a precaution, or better leave things as they are now?
post #968 of 974 Old 07-20-2015, 09:49 AM

Yes I would add the caps to the voltage regulators. But you need to be very carefully not to create any shorts or you will have major problems.

I also replace all the 100uf caps because I have found that most of the time they're all bad.

I replace a few of the 22uf caps in specific areas through testing I have always found these caps to be bad. One is for the video flash chip and I think it might be the cause for the VD ?????????
meaning the chip got wiped and video is not working right. When this happens I have to replace and reprogram a new chip.

I also always replace C8328

If your board is working fine you could just leave it and see how things go.

I'm usually repairing boards for other people and I don't want any come backs or premature failures so I usually test everything on the boards.

I have even replaced all the caps on one board because everyone was bad and I mean really bad. I think the customer had the unit in a cabinet and it ran really HOT for a long time. It also had other caps on the Amplifier PCB Board that were bad.

I never thought to tell you to use the front panel buttons I just assumed you understood that I will have to remember that when helping others.

Glad you got it working and glad I could help hope you enjoy the receiver for years to come......
Onkyo84 likes this.

Last edited by dolivas; 07-22-2015 at 08:42 PM.
post #969 of 974 Old 07-31-2015, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilJayV10 View Post
First off I wanted to say thanks to CZ_the_day for making this thread. I've owned a TX-SR706 for the past eight years and apparently I've one of the few lucky ones that haven't had any problems out of it. I had to do a hard reset on it once about seven years ago for a HDMI problem but that's it.

About a month ago lighting struck a utility pole across the road and took out a bunch of things in the house, cable modem, PS3, lights and unfortunately my Onkyo receiver. Everything except the lights were on surge protectors but with the lighting striking so close and the transformer arcing for so long it didn't seem to matter.

Everything on the receiver still works correctly except the HDMI part. I have audio but no video and the setup menu screen will not display.

After searching Google I found this thread and have been reading it on and off for the past week.

My symptoms match those listed in this thread. I'm going to attempt to source the caps locally this evening. While I'm in the receiver is there anything else I should look for or test? I have an extensive background in automotive wiring and diagnostics but none with this.

Thanks for any help and great thread!

Jason
I only recently came across this forum but have the same issue as LilJayV10. A power surge from lightening rendered my HDMI ports useless, but everything else works fine. The LAN card on my computer also got cooked, but everything else on the computer was fine. I have since run all cable and internet lines through the surge protectors as well.

I am afraid, just as with your case, that replacing the caps won't make a difference. How did you finally get resolution of the issue? Thanks.
post #970 of 974 Old 08-01-2015, 02:04 AM

Liked: 1
It's taking longer and longer for the image to show up on the TV (15-20 minutes), so I plan to replace the capacitors on the HDMI board of my Onkyo TX-SR606.

I was just wondering if it's okay to replace them with 100µF/16V/105°C radial capacitors instead of 10V?
post #971 of 974 Old 08-01-2015, 02:26 AM

Liked: 13
Yes.
Iggy SLO likes this.
post #972 of 974 Old 08-22-2015, 01:38 PM
ff3

Thanks for this thread! Changed the 10 100µF capacitors on my TX-SR606 and no more waiting 5 minutes for my htpc to appear! I also added a 500rpm 120mm fan and a temp gauge that fits perfectly in the corner.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	606.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	902050  
post #973 of 974 Old 08-26-2015, 09:24 AM

Not sure if anyone is still using this thread, but was wondering the same caps and method would be applicable to the Onkyo Tx-nr 509, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
post #974 of 974 Old 08-26-2015, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonkyo View Post
Not sure if anyone is still using this thread, but was wondering the same caps and method would be applicable to the Onkyo Tx-nr 509, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated
I would say no but it might be covered under the Onkyo recall.

What's the unit doing or not doing?
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver
Gear in this thread - Sr606 by PriceGrabber.com