Okay, my capacitors came in... I ordered 10 each 100uf 10v low ESR, part number 31-5275, from MCM Electronics, for $1.16 each, and replaced the same 5 that StanVanDam did a few posts ago. Mine were polarized, so made sure that the stripe (negative) went toward the narrow end of the white box on the board on each one. Used my old 35W soldering iron, but filed the tip nice and pretty, then tinned it up, cut and bent the leads of the capacitors out at right angles to match the remaining little pads on the board. Tinned the capacitor leads, put it in place and just touched the soldering iron to each lead and she was good. Gave it a little push to make sure it was secure, and went on. Got all five done in about 20 minutes or so. I've done some soldering before, not this delicate, but this definitely wasn't a huge deal. Anyway, I plugged everything in (1080i cable DVR, 1080i HD-DVD player, 1080p PS3, composite DVD player, composite VCR). Fired everything up, and it all works. I don't have any component signals being input, so I don't know if those work, but there's no issue with any of the HDMI ports in or out, OSD, or composite inputs.
I got the receiver well over two years ago, and had problems with it about six months after I got it. No OSD, no composite input video worked, but I had audio for the composite inputs (VCR and DVD player). The repair station changed one capacitor, I think, and I got my video and OSD back. However, it seemed to take a while to get any HD input from HDMI to come up. And I could NEVER get 1080p to work on the PS3. I had to set that to 1080i, and it would work, but only after about 15 to 30 minutes. It would work with SD (480p) through HDMI from the DVR, but anything 720 or better was no dice.
After replacing the 5 100uf capacitors, with a cold receiver, I immediately selected the PS3, and it came right up in a couple of seconds, and the TV showed 1080p input. All inputs seem to work. Yippeeee! We'll see how it works in the months to come.
I also added a 140mm fan to the top of the case, with rubber pins (MASSCOOL 140mm Silent 2 Ball Bearing Case fan from TigerDirect), and ran the power wire in to a fan connector, and hard wired it to the 12v/Gnd input. It installed without any modification to the top of the receiver, and I'm hoping it'll draw enough air past the boards to cool a little.
Thanks to all of you for your information and hard work! Thanks to CZ for starting this thread! Great work.