How to DIY ; TX-SR576/TX-SR606/etc HDMI daughterboard repair (for dummies?) - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 853 Old 01-26-2011, 01:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostcase View Post

Are you ever going to buy another Onkyo product again?

Probably not. But I will drop a note to customer support to see if I get a response that is more helpful than, the unit it out of warranty and you have to buy a new HDMI board!

Since this is the family room AVR (not the main HT room), I have purchased a Denon AVR-391 to replace it. That should do the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 853 Old 01-30-2011, 09:46 AM

Liked: 10
Hey all,

thought I'd drop a line with my receiver issues....

Before: Onkyo606 would not display 1080p, but the OSD, 720p (or less) would work after a good 20 minute warmup.

During: Used the radioshack Caps. I remember reading that someone on these forums replaced only the 2 left bottom-side Caps, and it worked. So I took it a step further and replaced the left one, tested the receiver, replaced the 2nd from the left, tested, and it works FLAWLESSLY now. So from my experience, if anyone wants to replace JUST the 2nd from the left cap on the bottom side of the board, they may just hit paydirt!

After: All is well.
post #213 of 853 Old 01-30-2011, 10:30 AM

Good job Nairdasti. I may end up fixing this unit if it ever fully craps out and just use it in the bedroom. I will be shopping around for a better A/V for the livingroom sometime in the future. This will definitely be my last HTiB. Going either Denon or Yamaha for my A/V receiver and maybe Polk or Definitive Technologies speakers.

SEGA! was seriously injured, but the soul still BURNS!

Fixed my ONKYO HTS-6100\HTR667:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnHxThGxasQ
post #214 of 853 Old 02-02-2011, 05:03 PM

So I sent them an email saying that I tried the repair in this thread and sent them a link to it. I told them it didn't really work and I was wondering what else I could do.

They then said they authorized a repair and gave me an address to send it to.

I am confused because I told them i already tried and replaced caps. I wonder if they didn't catch that somehow?
post #215 of 853 Old 02-02-2011, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

You're lucky you got a reply. Replacing the caps didnt fix it for me so I sent them a note to complain how it seemed unrealistic for a customer to have to front up for an expensive HDMI board for a product 18 months old.

I have heard nothing back from them at all.
post #216 of 853 Old 02-02-2011, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairdasti View Post

Hey all,

thought I'd drop a line with my receiver issues....

Before: Onkyo606 would not display 1080p, but the OSD, 720p (or less) would work after a good 20 minute warmup.

During: Used the radioshack Caps. I remember reading that someone on these forums replaced only the 2 left bottom-side Caps, and it worked. So I took it a step further and replaced the left one, tested the receiver, replaced the 2nd from the left, tested, and it works FLAWLESSLY now. So from my experience, if anyone wants to replace JUST the 2nd from the left cap on the bottom side of the board, they may just hit paydirt!

After: All is well.

Time line:

June 08: Purchased TX-SR606
May 10: Discovered this thread, started to worry that mine would inevitably fail so considered sending in for warranty before 2 yrs were up.
June 10: Decided that maybe I got lucky with a good one since most failed within 1 yr and decided not to send in.
August 10: HDMI became a bit flaky with PS3, had to turn on components in specific order, cable box okay
December 10: HDMI became very flaky with PS3, sometimes would have to reboot a few times, decide to read up on thread to prepare for worst
Last night: Had to turn off and on PS3 and receiver for 10 minutes until getting it to work, cable box okay
Tonight 8:00pm: Cannot sync with cable box AT ALL, forget about PS3, this thing is dead.
8:01-8:45pm: Search this thread, find radio shack part number (272-1028), find local radio shack (1.5mi away) and call up to find out they are open until 9:30. search through boxes of crap to find old soldering iron, we are good to go.
8:45: go outside, find car is under 6" of snow. this is going to take some time to clear
9:10: arrive at radio shack, buy last 4 caps in stock
9:30: surgery begins
10:00: no progress is made on removing board, power cable is the devil
10:30: after much frustration, i rip off cap 2nd to left
11:15: finally get some sort of soldier on the board, but is terrible. i dont care at this point, just want to try it out
11:30: hook up HDMI, cable box: check; ps3: CHECK.. try out turning on ps3 first, then tv, then receiver (big no no since august) and it WORKS!!!!

Time without functioning receiver: approx 3.5 hours

The moral of my story is that nairdasti was correct, and you only need to replace the cap 2nd from the left that is highlighted (C8602) as a quick fix. The receiver is still in pieces and before I put everything back together I will try it again tomorrow with a cold start. I will report back if it does not work. If not, then it works and I am enjoying the movie I wanted to watch tonight.

I plan on buying all the replacement parts listed in this thread online and will replace all the caps if/when this quickfix fails. I will also report back if that happens.

EDIT:
This morning I tried to get the PS3 to start and I couldn't get a picture.. However the cable box worked with ease. Will update after work.

EDIT 2:

PS3 still wont work on a cold start, more caps must be defective.. Will have to replace more caps

EDIT 3:
Replaced the four caps highlighted in red here. No change. PS3 wont sync up while the cable box has no problems when cold. Just placed an order with Digikey to resolve this thing. My soldiering was much better tonight than last night.

Michael

Collection: DVD | High-def
post #217 of 853 Old 02-03-2011, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchiu7 View Post

You're lucky you got a reply. Replacing the caps didnt fix it for me so I sent them a note to complain how it seemed unrealistic for a customer to have to front up for an expensive HDMI board for a product 18 months old.

I have heard nothing back from them at all.

They responded within 48 hours. How did you contact them? I went through their website and they contacted me the next day asking for more detail and then within another 24 hours they had authorized the repair.

Interestingly enough, I actually tried to get them to fix this before I tried to fix it and got denied.
post #218 of 853 Old 02-07-2011, 02:45 PM

I figured I pop my head in here to see what's going on... update on my integra 5.9 (updated or rebranded sr606, depending on who you ask). I performed the repair 5 months ago and the unit is STILL GOING! I hope I can make it to the year mark without any issues.... There are artifacts however on my aux input, but I reckon that they are a result of me upscaling the unthinkable - I connected an older Sony 4 head VCR to it so I can see some of my older stuff. Who does that? LOL...
post #219 of 853 Old 02-07-2011, 03:47 PM

Problem 1: No Blu-ray player worked on any HDMI input..
Problem 2: No OSD over HDMI

Solution: Replaced all 10 100 uf caps

HDMI switching is now super fast, blu-ray works flawlessly and i have OSD over HDMI

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO BLAZED THIS TRAIL! In no way could I have done this without the experiences and accounts from the members of this forum.
bigjash likes this.
post #220 of 853 Old 02-07-2011, 05:14 PM

Another satisfied customer!

*Cost to buy a new receiver - $600
*Cost for parts - $8
*Time spent repairing - 1.5hrs
*Receiver that works better than out of the box - Priceless!

My unit is an HT-R667. The issues I had were no connection to bluray, intermittent connection to Xbox360 (i would typically get compatibility errors), osd menu was off centered but the cable worked fine.

I replaced the (5) 100uf capacitors as mentioned by ghettosuperstar and this thing works flawlessly. I had time to fix today so I figured I would give parts from Radio Shack a try (272-1028). Instant connection to all hdmi ports on a cold start and osd menu is perfectly aligned. I decided to opt out on the bridges but did put a ventilation fan in. I did not test components as I don't use them. Picture quality is the best its ever been and audio is great. Thanks CZ for the detailed instructions and for getting this thread started; from the looks of it you've helped save many the frustration of buying a new receiver.
post #221 of 853 Old 02-07-2011, 05:33 PM

Pics
LL
LL
post #222 of 853 Old 02-07-2011, 07:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Success! I replaced all 10 100UF 10V caps and put 7 1UF 50V caps on all the regulators and it is 100% working. 1080p from PS3 on a cold start.. Victory.. Thanks for everyone's contributions. Hopefully I never have to open this thing up again.

Michael

Collection: DVD | High-def
post #223 of 853 Old 02-08-2011, 01:15 PM

Hi !
Does anyone try to fit heat sinks on the regulators and all the chips on the boards ?
In theory should help of prevent from heat building up. Also did someone try to create more holes to allow more airflow ?
post #224 of 853 Old 02-08-2011, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Landry View Post

I decided to opt out on the bridges but did put a ventilation fan in. I did not test components as I don't use them. Picture quality is the best its ever been and audio is great. Thanks CZ for the detailed instructions and for getting this thread started; from the looks of it you've helped save many the frustration of buying a new receiver.

Good job Jon Landry. Take pics of your new cooling unit.

SEGA! was seriously injured, but the soul still BURNS!

Fixed my ONKYO HTS-6100\HTR667:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnHxThGxasQ
post #225 of 853 Old 02-11-2011, 03:32 PM

Just got my 606 back from the shop. Works like new. I asked what was replaced and the tech replied that there were 10 caps that needed to be replaced along with the HDMI board. I looked inside and it is a new board. So I dont know where the 10 caps come from. But anyways, it is working better than new.
post #226 of 853 Old 02-12-2011, 10:29 PM

Hello,

A few minutes ago I performed the fix in my 606, I was able to fix the handshake issues @ 1080p, however I got no sound at all, not even from the tuner.
I did one more test passing the sound via hdmi to the TV (Via the hardware/hdmi setup) and no sound travels to the TV.
Any suggestion is welcomed, I'm too tired to reopen the case tonight, but I will check the cables/ribbon tomorrow.

Appreciate your answers,

Thanks
post #227 of 853 Old 02-13-2011, 08:10 AM

I receive a free tx 606 from a friend which obviously had hdmi issues, after half an hour with soldering iron and 10 new caps and is working as treat. Also fit a fan but need fan controller as the one I put is very noisy
I was looking at this to help with cooling Enzotech MOS-C10 (mosfet heatsink)
and some memory heatsink for all the chips. Any one try to put some heatsinks ?
post #228 of 853 Old 02-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Advanced Member

Has anyone tested the caps they removed to see if they are out of spec or burnt or popped or what?
post #229 of 853 Old 02-18-2011, 03:39 PM
Advanced Member

So, I finally got my co-worker to install the caps for me. I've attached the pictures. Very pretty.

Anyway... I'll be installing it tonight, and I'll report back here to confirm the results. Eek!

edit: Success! I've only tried two ports so far, but they both work. Huge thanks to CZ for creating the thread, and everyone else for contributing!
LL
LL
post #230 of 853 Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 PM

edit: Success! I've only tried two ports so far, but they both work. Huge thanks to CZ for creating the thread, and everyone else for contributing![/quote]

Glad to hear It's working! It's nice to see how many have had success from this thread. Thanks again CZ for getting this started.
post #231 of 853 Old 02-20-2011, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Hey guys I am going to replace all the caps labeled "100" in an effort to try and regain my HDMI ports on my Onkyo TX-SR805. Can someone please tell me the best source to buy from and also the exact model #, style, power, or whatever information I need when I order these. Looks like I need to order about 12 just to be safe. I really appreciate someone giving me this information. Thank you very much for your time, knowledge and help. Have a great evening folks.

golffnutt

Thank you.

Golffnutt

"GO DAWGS" !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
post #232 of 853 Old 02-20-2011, 04:03 PM

I also have a broken HDMI daughter board, but for a different reason. I broke the physical connector on the HDMI output. I bought a nonfunctioning unit off ebay, and now have that HDMI daughterboard in my possession. Unfortunately, I (or it came this way) broke a cap while removing it (man, that power cable is tough).

Does anybody know what size capacitor I should use to replace this guy? It is from an 805. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan
LL
LL
post #233 of 853 Old 02-20-2011, 04:27 PM

For the record, that capacitor appears to be Part C8000. From the service manual: UJCD1E221MNL1GS.

That appears to be this guy: http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...m4vGpH5Q%3D%3D
post #234 of 853 Old 02-20-2011, 06:57 PM

Status Update:

I removed my original HDMI board (audio, no video). I replaced it with my repaired (just the 220 MFA capacitor replaced). Turned it on, roomate claims he saw a puff and smoke from below the HDMI daughter board. I continue. Now no video or audio. We remove that board and notice that the power connector still had a piece of wire stuck in it, likely shorting things out. I put the original board back in and it no longer works at all.

It turns out that the fuzes below are blown.

I hope that I didn't make this worse....
post #235 of 853 Old 02-20-2011, 07:32 PM

Success! I replaced the fuses (from my non-functional unit), and everything appears to be working!
post #236 of 853 Old 02-21-2011, 10:57 AM

Dear Friends

I am from Poland, I have TX-SR606. My Onkyo is 3 years old and without guaranty at the moment.

My first symptom - no Menu Setup via HDMI on the TV Screen, only on TX-SR606 little display.

Second symptom - no signal for a few second to few minutes when launching Blu-Ray or PS3, after a period video shows on TV screen.

Third symptom - I have no audio for few seconds to few minutes, the same problem like above in Second symptom, but with audio, after some period audio is recognized and I can hear it.

Fourth symptom - HDMI output is no longer working, so I am using HDMI splitter from my PC to TV for video and to HDMI input in TX-SR606 for audio (without using HDMI output)

I tried reseting to factory default, nothing has been fixed. I heard about HDMI Board failure and that it's very expensive. So I leave it as it is.
Today I have been searching any news about newer models 608 and 609, but I have found this thread and I said WOW! A simple solution.

So I have a few questions before I will going to repair my Onkyo TX-SR606.

1. Do you think that my 1-4 symptoms are connected with HDMI Board Failure?
2. Will it fix my third symptom related with audio too?
3. All I need is to buy capacitors with 100uF/10V and 105'C x4 and replace the old ones with those, which I will buy?
4. Please tell me, if those two capacitors are good:
- first one is Jianghai
- second one is Panasonic

I am so sorry for my poor English, but it's not my first language.
Thank you in advance for any help.

Best regards.

Sincerely

VAMET
Lapsus Angelus
post #237 of 853 Old 02-21-2011, 04:48 PM

another successful fix At first I was about to panic as I had no sound

It would've helped to have connected the speaker cables lol
I'm gonna use a laptop cooler to help with the heat.
post #238 of 853 Old 02-21-2011, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAMET View Post

1. Do you think that my 1-4 symptoms are connected with HDMI Board Failure?
2. Will it fix my third symptom related with audio too?
3. All I need is to buy capacitors with 100uF/10V and 105'C x4 and replace the old ones with those, which I will buy?
4. Please tell me, if those two capacitors are good:
- first one is Jianghai
- second one is Panasonic

1. and 2. yes I was having the same problems

3 and 4 yes and Id go for the Panasonics

good luck

if you go slow and take your time , replacing the caps is not too hard
post #239 of 853 Old 02-22-2011, 04:33 AM

Dear meathead76

Thank you very much for your reply.
I will try to replace them for the first time in my life
Panasonic caps ordered.
Best regards.

Sincerely

VAMET
Lapsus Angelus
post #240 of 853 Old 02-23-2011, 01:35 PM

Hi
As I have mention somewhere above I have been very successfully with my repair.
I have attached some pictures after replacing caps and fitting the fan. I had to use fan Speed Reduction Cable to slow down my 120mm fan.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Onkyo Tx Nr807 , Onkyo Tx Sr606 Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page