5.1 Amp with one HDMI input - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 06:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I am setting up a projector and an xbox360 in a room. I have DVI running to the projector from the Xbox using a HDMI to DVI cable. The audio is coming out of the xbox through the other xbox proprietary output. I want to attempt to use an HDMI to HDMI/DVI splitter, running the video to the projector using DVI and HDMI to an amp(audio only).

What I am looking for is an amp with one HDMI input and 5.1 output. That's it, single source, nothing fancy, just to get my audio out to 5 speakers.

Thanks
Any suggestions ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Panasonic SA-XR57

My mom works for Sony, and she brought home a copy of "Starhawk BETA"
I quickly slipped it into my trusty PS3, and started playing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 06:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixitchris View Post

Hello,

I am setting up a projector and an xbox360 in a room. I have DVI running to the projector from the Xbox using a HDMI to DVI cable. The audio is coming out of the xbox through the other xbox proprietary output. I want to attempt to use an HDMI to HDMI/DVI splitter, running the video to the projector using DVI and HDMI to an amp(audio only).

What I am looking for is an amp with one HDMI input and 5.1 output. That's it, single source, nothing fancy, just to get my audio out to 5 speakers.

Thanks
Any suggestions ?

Your best bet is to look at regular old AVR receivers. You need something to turn whatever digital info is coming across the HDMI (PCM, Dolby, DTS) into analog sound for the amplifier to amplify. You will want a volume control, speaker distance settings, etc. You will not find a commercial device that has only on HDMI input, or even one that has only multiple HDMI or only digital inputs. Makers of commercial AVRs want to sell them to lots of folks. So they make them useable to lots of folks by including multiple inputs (although there may be the beginning of a trend away from some "legacy" inputs, as I think the next gen Denon units forego multichannel analog inputs).

Anyway, while it may be less elegant, purchasing an available unit that has more inputs than you need is your only practical choice, unless you know somebody who can either modify an existing unit to remove the undersired inputs or somebody who can design, build test and deliver a custom piece for you, either of which is far more expensive than the relatively few dollars you'll waste on the unused inputs in a mass produced item.
post #4 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 08:02 AM - Thread Starter

An old receiver might have to do. I might have to look into my local car-audio shop as well.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 08:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:

An old receiver might have to do. I might have to look into my local car-audio shop as well.

You'll have to have something to perform the preamp functions. Especially, with film soundtracks, you may need to "decode" dolby or DTS encoded sound to PCM (regular old digital) then convert the digital to analog sound. You can't plug a digital source directly into an amp and get sound, or at least not anything but noise. SO car audio is not likely to get you where you want to go.

If you can live without HDMI, you can get older AVRs inexpensively, Feed the AVR from the coax or optical digital out, and you'll get all the channels. WHat you won't get from a blu ray disk is the lossless sound (either Dolby TrueHD, TDS HD-MA, or multichannel PCM. But you still get pretty darn good sound.

If your speakers are efficient and/or you don't play ridiculously loud, a "low end" new or refurbished Onkyo or Denon (or others I'm sure) will do you a great job for not a lot of money. The Denons are or soon will be on sale because their replacements are on the way.
post #6 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Why do you even need HDMI to the recevier? Doesn't the 360 have an output (or compatible cable/breakout box) that has S/PDIF on it? I don't think the 360 uses TrueHD or DTS-HD for any games and it can't playback BD, so any receiver with S/PDIF optical or coaxial (depending on what the 360 supports) input and DD/DTS decoding, should workout fine.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions.

The reason I wanted HDMI for sound is so that I could use this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

and get away from this:
http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

I can still use optical audio out from the xbox.

Does 5.1 work with the 2 RCA jacks as well ?
post #8 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:

Thanks for the suggestions.

The reason I wanted HDMI for sound is so that I could use this:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

and get away from this:
http://www.chadledford.com/?p=50

Oh son of a...! lol. I forgot about that little issue with the xbox. I'm not sure the passive splitter will work for you either. It may, but you might have HDCP issues. Then again I'm not sure how much of a problem that would be anyway since I don't even think you need HDCP for the 360 (?) as there is no Blu-ray.

Quote:

Does 5.1 work with the 2 RCA jacks as well ?

You mean white and red (L/R) RCAs? Nope. You'd need coaxial S/PDIF (usually orange) but that would probably require the breakout cable as well (if there even is one with coax out), so same problem there as with optical.
post #9 of 9 Old 05-10-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

I just ordered the a/v cable only for xbox so it has optical out.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page