Cheapest AVR with phono input for my parents' system? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 05-14-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 26
My 80 year old parents have been using a system I set up for them about 20 years ago, but now my mom says she wants to replace her 27" crt TV with a new big screen HDTV, as well as a Blu-ray player. She also wants to be able to continue to use her turntable and cassette deck. Oh, she also likes the different modes available on her current receiver, such as "Movie", and a few others.

I told her if she is getting the new TV and BD player, she may as well get a new receiver so everything(except the cassette deck and turntable) can be connected via HDMI cables(there is a horrible rats nest of wires behind the components now).

I have looked around a bit online, and have not noticed any receivers with a phono input. I don't think she needs any more than 3 HDMI inputs. Her current receiver is a JVC with Dynamic SuperA amplification, which actually sounds pretty darn good. She just needs to be able to connect via HDMI the BD player and a High Def cable box from Comcast. Of course, the the turntable and cassette deck will have to be connected via analog cables.

I plan on getting her a plasma HDTV and Panasonic BD player, along with the new receiver, and setting it up for her.

Any suggestions much welcomed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 05-14-2010, 07:48 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked: 1302
Your choices would be much easier if you just picked up a phono pre-amp and then you could go with a low level AVR that didn't have a phono input. The Denon 1610 would likely meet their needs for HDMI and analog inputs.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #3 of 32 Old 05-14-2010, 08:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

Your choices would be much easier if you just picked up a phono pre-amp and then you could go with a low level AVR that didn't have a phono input. The Denon 1610 would likely meet their needs for HDMI and analog inputs.

Yeah, I was hoping to keep it simple for them with a AVR that included the phono input, but I may have to get the phono pre-amp. My mom doesn't need too many things to have to turn on, though.

post #4 of 32 Old 05-14-2010, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
www.phonopreamps.com

Just hardwire one into an "auxilary" input and power the preamp off the switched power. It'd be the same operation as a builtin phone preamp.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.
" - MLK

post #5 of 32 Old 05-14-2010, 10:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

www.phonopreamps.com

Just hardwire one into an "auxilary" input and power the preamp off the switched power. It'd be the same operation as a builtin phone preamp.

That's what I would do. Just get a receiver with an outlet on the back, if they still make them in the budget models.

If it uses an ugly wall wart, get one of those short extension cords, like 6" long used for wall warts.

"But this one goes up to 11"
post #6 of 32 Old 05-14-2010, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavu View Post

www.phonopreamps.com

Ahh, OK, that sounds like the plan! Thanks for the link, too.

post #7 of 32 Old 05-14-2010, 11:06 PM
AVS Addicted Member

What's wrong with people on a Friday night, surfing AV forums...get a life

post #8 of 32 Old 05-14-2010, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Now, I just need to decide which entry level receiver has the best combination of sound quality and ease of use for my mother. My dad won't fool with it at all.

BTW, this will be driving a set of Legacy Audio small towers from the early '90s. Her JVC receiver plays them pretty well, with lots of dynamics and clarity.

post #9 of 32 Old 05-14-2010, 11:21 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Concentrate on ease of use. I would not expect sound quality to differ much at the budget level. They will all be low (comparatively) power receivers. It's become standard, I think, for the budget level to use amps on a chip now. They will all use good DACs, because all DACs are good, etc.

If you trust random people's judgement, you see a lot of Harmon Kardon fans on here. Not sure how easy they are to use.

I find Yamaha receivers are pretty easy to work with. But I don't know if they are the easiest.

post #10 of 32 Old 05-15-2010, 03:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
About 9 years ago, I purchased an Infinity system with DVD player and receiver for my parents-in-law. My wife and I hooked it all up with their existing TV and VCR, wrote specific instructions, left owner's manual, etc.

About six months after we purchased the system, my wife's brother purchased them a Bose system (cost over twice as much) because they could not figure out how to use the system. They were very happy with the Bose system although it is unlikely that it sounded as good as the Infinity system.

I later did the same thing for my brother (not necessarily a technophobe but absolutely hates learning certain technical things). He ended up disconnecting the system and going back to just listening with his TV speakers.
post #11 of 32 Old 05-15-2010, 05:14 AM
585-645-1006

For ease of use ====> replace the stock remote with a Harmony Remote

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #12 of 32 Old 05-15-2010, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

For ease of use ====> replace the stock remote with a Harmony Remote

Mom has a Comcast remote that seems to turn on all her current equipment. Hopefully, the Comcast tech could find the codes to make a Comcast remote work with whatever receiver, BD player, and TV she ends up getting.

post #13 of 32 Old 05-16-2010, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

Concentrate on ease of use. I would not expect sound quality to differ much at the budget level. They will all be low (comparatively) power receivers. It's become standard, I think, for the budget level to use amps on a chip now. They will all use good DACs, because all DACs are good, etc.

If you trust random people's judgement, you see a lot of Harmon Kardon fans on here. Not sure how easy they are to use.

I find Yamaha receivers are pretty easy to work with. But I don't know if they are the easiest.

Yes, my current receiver is a Yamaha RX-V1800, which has sat in an enclosed equipment rack for a couple years now, and it just works perfectly all the time. And it does not get very hot, even in the cabinet.

Maybe that new Yamaha RX-V467 would work for them. I think I saw that it could receive both Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master HD via both pcm and bitstream from a BD player.

It seems like the Onkyo units offer the best amplification and features for the money, but I also read much more about reliability issues and heat generation such that I would not put it in her cabinet.

post #14 of 32 Old 05-16-2010, 02:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
HDMI and 80-somethins don't mix.
I'd buy an "old" Pannasonic "digital" amp and use component cables.
You won't get losslees, but the Panny remote is easier than a Harmony.
post #15 of 32 Old 05-16-2010, 05:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post

HDMI and 80-somethins don't mix.

Total unadulterated BS.
post #16 of 32 Old 05-16-2010, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsurd2 View Post

Total unadulterated BS.

When you have to turn devices on in the "right" order have audio droputs etc,
it's a recipe for disaster.
My wife has a very advance degree, is her 30's and she can't handle it.
I finally got her own HD TV, w/ no receiver in the mix. Now HDMI works.
post #17 of 32 Old 05-16-2010, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post

When you have to turn devices on in the "right" order have audio droputs etc, it's a recipe for disaster.

Never had a problem of any sort. My technical luddite wife has never had a problem.

"The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance  it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel Boorstin
" - MLK

post #18 of 32 Old 05-16-2010, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Well, my mom is pretty sharp and actually has to make various settings on their current setup, so I think she will be OK. Dad is not going to fool with it anyway.

post #19 of 32 Old 05-16-2010, 08:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtrot View Post

Yeah, I was hoping to keep it simple for them with a AVR that included the phono input, but I may have to get the phono pre-amp. My mom doesn't need too many things to have to turn on, though.

I would never build a system for anyone without also including a nice programmable universal remote that I've configured to automatically do everything for them at the touch of a button.

Comcastic remotes don't measure up.

Just a thought.
post #20 of 32 Old 05-23-2010, 08:28 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman View Post

That's what I would do. Just get a receiver with an outlet on the back, if they still make them in the budget models.

If it uses an ugly wall wart, get one of those short extension cords, like 6" long used for wall warts.

Well, it appears that nobody makes receivers any more with switched power outlets on the back. I've looked at Onkyo, Pioneer, Denon. I even looked at some of last years models, but didn't find any with switched outlets on back.
Sony would not be my top choice, but I need to check them out as well.

I really need one with the outlets on back, because there is no way Mom is about to reach in the cabinet and turn on a phono pre-amp when she wants to play a record.

post #21 of 32 Old 05-23-2010, 09:29 AM
585-645-1006

Although the lowest Denon AVR 1610 doesn't have the switched outlets, the next model up, 1910 has switched outlets and the next model up, 2310 even has the phono input as well. Both can be had for good prices at authorized vendor Electronics Expo. You might also consider a smart power strip which could turn on the phono pre-amp when the phono was powered on.

post #22 of 32 Old 05-23-2010, 09:49 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 348
Marantz 4003 has a switched outlet on back.
http://www.accessories4less.com/make...eceiver/1.html

As was said above the Denon 1910 or 790 has 2 switched outlets.
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR1910-...4633164&sr=8-1

Onkyo 706 & 707 have a phono input

Afro GT
post #23 of 32 Old 05-23-2010, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 260
Quote:

I really need one with the outlets on back, because there is no way Mom is about to reach in the cabinet and turn on a phono pre-amp when she wants to play a record.

I hate to suggest this, what with climate change and all, but you could just leave it on. The things draw very little power when not in use. Some are even designed without an off switch. Once plugged in, they're on permanent standby.

If you can't explain how it works, you can't say it doesn't.—The High-End Creed

post #24 of 32 Old 05-23-2010, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Although the lowest Denon AVR 1610 doesn't have the switched outlets, the next model up, 1910 has switched outlets and the next model up, 2310 even has the phono input as well. Both can be had for good prices at authorized vendor Electronics Expo. You might also consider a smart power strip which could turn on the phono pre-amp when the phono was powered on.

Whoa, thanks. I don't know how I missed the outlets on the Denons. I guess at the time I was looking more for the phono inputs. Looks like Denon is the only brand that still has switched outlets.

One other issue is if the Denon will pass a HDMI signal from a HD cable box to the TV, even when the receiver is turned off. I think my parents are going to want to be able to watch TV without the sound system turned on. I read that the Onkyos will do it, but the Pioneers will not. But the Onkyo has neither phono inputs nor switched outlets.

post #25 of 32 Old 05-23-2010, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by afrogt View Post

Marantz 4003 has a switched outlet on back.

As was said above the Denon 1910 or 790 has 2 switched outlets.
http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR1910-...4633164&sr=8-1

Onkyo 706 & 707 have a phono input

Thanks for the tips.

Unfortunately, it looks like the Marantz 4003 does not decode Dolby TrueHD and DTS MasterHD, which I cannot see getting a receiver at this point that doesn't. It also does not have phono input.

Yes, an Onkyo 706 or 707 would be great from a performance standpoint, but are notorious for reliability problems and overheating, which is a problem for my parents' system because they have an enclosed cabinet the receiver has to be in.

post #26 of 32 Old 05-23-2010, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Leave the phono preamp plugged in all the time. It probably draws less power than a clock!

" - MLK

post #27 of 32 Old 05-23-2010, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnarus View Post

I hate to suggest this, what with climate change and all, but you could just leave it on. The things draw very little power when not in use. Some are even designed without an off switch. Once plugged in, they're on permanent standby.

Hmm...good point. I know my parents are not worried about a small draw like that. Maybe the Onkyo 508 will work after all, if it has enough inputs to also accommodate their turntable and cassette deck, AND if it runs as cool as the 608 apparently does.

post #28 of 32 Old 05-23-2010, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:

One other issue is if the Denon will pass a HDMI signal from a HD cable box to the TV, even when the receiver is turned off. I think my parents are going to want to be able to watch TV without the sound system turned on. I read that the Onkyos will do it, but the Pioneers will not. But the Onkyo has neither phono inputs nor switched outlets.

You could connect via HDMI from the cable box to the tv, and run S/PDIF cable from the cable box to the receiver. That way they'll still get audio to the tv when the receiver's off.

On the other hand, that might require going into the cable menu and switching the audio source from "Dolby Digital" to "HDMI" every time, and that might be confusing to your elderly parents. But it's one possible solution.
post #29 of 32 Old 05-24-2010, 04:43 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:

One other issue is if the Denon will pass a HDMI signal from a HD cable box to the TV, even when the receiver is turned off. I think my parents are going to want to be able to watch TV without the sound system turned on.

Yes, all 2010 Denon AVRs (including the 1610) have the HDMI pass-through feature which will pass the HDMI audio/video through when the AVR is in Standby. However, with this feature set to ON, the switched outlets remain ON when the AVR is in Standby.

post #30 of 32 Old 05-24-2010, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yes, all 2010 Denon AVRs (including the 1610) have the HDMI pass-through feature which will pass the HDMI audio/video through when the AVR is in Standby. However, with this feature set to ON, the switched outlets remain ON when the AVR is in Standby.

Thanks for the clarification.

Well, in the case of the 2310, since it has a phono input, I would just plug their turntable into their extension cord/outlet box, which would have power to it all the time anyway.

With the 1910, that is the situation in which I was thinking I would like the switched outlets, so as to be able to plug a phono pre-amp into one of them, so that when they powered up the receiver, the pre-amp would come on. However, I have since learned in this thread that the phono pre-amp would draw so little power that it could be plugged into the extension box and left on all the time anyway.

I now think the HDMI pass through when the receiver is in standby is a more important feature than the switched outlets for the folks. And I gather that both the Denon and the Onkyo have this capability.

I think I am down to the Denon 1910/2310 or the Onkyo 508/608. It seems to me the Onkyo would be the easiest for them to operate, has the better GUI, and better remote. As to amp power and quality, I don't know how to compare these two brands, but my impression is that these two have the meatiest power supplies and sound quality in this price range.

I almost ordered an Onkyo for them until I saw Winston's HDMI transmission issue pop up on the 608 thread here yesterday. I think I will see if anybody can shed any light on this.

Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page