Repair Fosgate Audionics separates or replace with new receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a set of Fosgate Audionics separates (FAP T1 pre/pro and FAA 1000.5 amp) driving five Definitive Technology speakers. There is no output from one of the amp channels. It was originally my left front, but I switched it to the right surround as a stop-gap.

As you may know, the company is longer in business but Rockford referred me to a repair service which will charge $299 plus parts and shipping (the beast weighs 62 lbs) and will take at least 3 weeks.

Sigh.

The FA equipment is about 8 years old (I bought the units used so I'm not quite sure).

Given advances in technology (the FAs have no HDMI or even DVI inputs), do you think I'm better off replacing the FA separates with a new receiver (perhaps a Pioneer Elite SC-25)?

What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 145
I would move on.

I also owned a FAA 1000.5 and had repeated problems of reliability...and had an online dialogue with another gent with the identical problem I encountered.

Not to say it was a wide-spread issue, but I too was referred to the gentleman you're likely speaking of and could never (and prolly would never) justify the $400+ all-day to breathe life into a device no longer being made, by a company no longer in business, to boot. Your case makes at least number 3, and I don't think they were cranking these things out, as it's hard as hell to find a lot of info about them on the WWW.

The pre being involved makes it an even easier no-brainer, IMO.

Cut your losses (if there even ARE losses...you said you bought it used, so perhaps you've already enjoyed them enough to justify their initial cost).

Remember, there's VALUE in that usage.

Plunk down, help out the economy (although probably Japan's more than ours, in the end, lol) and start a new journey.

BTW: I'm considering a couple of the new Denon CI models coming out...they seem to offer a ton of value for their MSRP, which will be hammered down almost immediately.

my $.02

good luck,
James

Actual phone call (see pic to left):

Tech (responding to laughter): "I'm sorry sir, did I miss something?"

Me: "Yeah, a case of Diet Mountain Dew walking across my living room."

post #3 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 11:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. What was your problem? Until now, I've found the FA's to be entirely reliable.

There was a lot of discussion of them here back in the day and the feedback was positive, which is how I wound up buying them.

I certainly did get many years of value out of them, but the timing sucks to get something new since I used the arrival of FiOS as an excuse to finally buy a new HDTV for my bedroom just this week.
post #4 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah, I find needed audio purchases are as timely as auto repairs.

I didn't own the pre, just the amp.

I lost the first and third channel...both during normal operation. I believe the first was from an internal arc somehow. Didn't even care to learn about the second. I had it repaired and sold it.

there's too many SS amplifiers out there that you can own for 20 years, hassle-free.

It's interesting to learn that they had a following, as I went back as far as I could and I don't think I came up with 20 owners...including through a couple of old threads on AVS.

oh well.

James

post #5 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 11:26 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 32
Within the past two months, I replaced my Fosgate T1+ preamp with a Denon 4810 receiver. Although I was always quite happy with the sound of the Fosgate, the new Denon (to my great surprise!) blows it out of the water. Plus, it has HDMI switching and superb video upscaling, and an excellent amp section.

I'd recommend moving on. At a lower price point, the Denon 4310, and also the less expensive Denon receivers, are very well regarded.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 11:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Options...

(1) "Quick Fix": Buy a new 1 or 2 channel power amp (approx) $300 for use with existing pre-pro and 4 channel (formerly 5 channel) power amp.

(2) "Defer Technology Upgrade": Buy a new 5 (or 7) channel power amp (approx) $550+ for use with existing pre-pro. Dump old '5' channel power amp.

(3) "Full Upgrade": Buy a new 5 or 7 channel receiver.

None of these solutions dominates the others; it's mostly your personal upgrade (timeline) that makes one or other preferable.

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #7 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
To the OP: You said you were referred to a repair facility? Are there there no electronic repair shops in your town or nearby? Most will charge a fee to get you an estimate and determine if it is worth repairing.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 11:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Good point, easy.

If you're just out a channel, and a local economical fix can be had, perhaps it would be worthwhile to investigate. It is a rather powerful 5 channel amp.

this way you could also consider a lower-priced new AVR with pre-outs, if you found one with the features you need.

Another $400 was simply out the question for me.

James

post #9 of 12 Old 05-19-2010, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Easy. I may look into the local repair option. The FA does have some unusual design features (vertical MOSFETs configured in a "source-on-rail" configuration) that make me somewhat wary of taking it to someone unfamiliar with the technology.

The use of a separate stand-alone amp to drive the surrounds may also make sense.
post #10 of 12 Old 05-20-2010, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abogarth View Post

The use of a separate stand-alone amp to drive the surrounds may also make sense.

Consider an AVR with a respectable processor suite and somewhat underpowered on-board amps but a full set of pre-out connections, for around $350, e.g., [my bias!] Yamaha RX-V665 (or 'soonish' replacement RX-V667). Use the Fosgate to drive the L/C/R channels/speakers (with enough 'spare' capacity to survive another single power amp channel failure that reduces the number of functional power amps from 4 to 3!) Use the AVR's on-board amps to drive LS/RS speakers, plus buy 2 to 4 more speakers for LB/RB [and/or L/R Presence] channels at your leisure...?

Note that you could also retain full functionality of every ["better"] feature offered on the FAP T1 pre/pro by routing all spdif and analog source connections (i.e., everything but HDMI) [first] through the FAP T1 pre/pro, and connecting the T1's 5.1/6.1/7.1 pre-outs to the RX-V665's 5.1/6.1/7.1 "external decoder inputs" [you would set the FAP T1's volume control to "unity gain", and control the 'combined system' volume from the RX-V665 only]. Loop an spdif Digital Output (and video Monitor Out) from the FAP T1 to any RX-V665 input to compare/use the Yamaha's CinemaDSP or other decoders/PostProcessors as an alternative to those offered by the FAP T1.

[Home Office system schematic]
"My AV systems were created by man. They evolved. They rebelled. There are many speakers. And they have . . . A PLAN."

post #11 of 12 Old 05-20-2010, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the suggestions. I just brought home a new SC-25.

Does anyone need any interconnect cables?
post #12 of 12 Old 05-20-2010, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Drats! I wish I had know the SC-25 speaker connections posts are set up to prevent the use of spade lugs I have custom Audioquest speaker cables with spade lugs. I'll have to have them changed to banana plugs. Glad I kept my old Monster cables.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page