Harman Kardon AVR 3550HD - surround sound via HDMI from a Windows PC - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 05-25-2010, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I have a Harman Kardon AVR 3550HD and have recently hooked up a new PC to it via HDMI for video and 6-8 channel analog for audio. All works great but I'd like to get the sound out through the HDMI to get rid of the analog audio cables. The problem is that when I try to set the HDMI port connected to the 3550HD as the audio device in Windows, Windows only allows it to be configured for stereo - surround sound is not available as an option.

A bit of research on the web indicates that Windows looks at the capabilities of the device the HDMI is connected to and will offer surround only if the device supports it, so apparently it is seeing the AVR 3550HD as a stereo-only device. I did find something that said this can happen if the AVR is set to pass the HDMI audio through to a TV with stereo speakers, and the 3550HD does have that option, but I have it disabled.

One other thing that may or may not be related is that when I click the "test speakers" test in Windows with it set to use HDMI there is just a little squeak from each of the front speakers, whereas when I do the same over analog there is a tone lasting a few seconds on each speaker.

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-25-2010, 06:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked: 121
What version Windows..
XP Home? Pro?
Vista?
7?

Sounds like a problem on the PC side.. Or a driver is needed.

Just my $0.00..
post #3 of 6 Old 05-25-2010, 08:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Ditto to what Mcode said, as I use to have this receiver, which I though sounded great but buggy software. In this case most likely has he stated a software issue with computer and or needing the right driver.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-26-2010, 07:40 AM

Liked: 12
Try using a ATI 5 series video card. they have drivers for HDMI surround sound as well. I have a insignia best buy receiver hooked up to my ATI card, it works great.DTS HD, etc. all work.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-26-2010, 06:51 PM - Thread Starter

Its Windows 7 and the video/HDMI is built in to the motherboard which is an XTX GeForce 9300, and it has the latest Nvidia drivers installed.

Not worth my while spending money on a video card for this one since its a 2nd PC that I've hooked up to my TV, mostly for watching Hulu etc. It has a motherboard connector for s/pidf so if I can't get audio over the HDMI working I'll probably get an optical s/pidf bracket and try using that.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-26-2010, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

It turns out you were right. Nvidia's website has a tool to scan your PC and check the drivers, so I ran that for the graphics card and I did have the latest GeForce 9300 / nForce 730i driver installed, but when I ran it for the motherboard it told me I did not have the nVidia HDMI audio driver - I had some Microsoft driver for that. So I installed the latest nVidia HDMI audio driver and now its working. The Windows Sounds control panel now gives options for 5.1 and 7.1 surround sound, and playing music and movies the sounds comes over fine via HDMI.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page