*Official* Denon AVR-1911/791 & AVR-2311CI/891 Owner's Thread - Page 150 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2012, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Quote:

jdsmoothie;21570194]...you may also have to set "external speakers" to ON too.

yup, done that

Quote:

Although you an also simply connect an optical cable from the TV to the AVR and achieve the same result.

I've considered doing that but I'm not there yet. I'm very stubborn and this is the only obstacle in my way of conquering my Denon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2012, 04:51 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My 1911 is working fine, I just have a question about front display info, in particular the HDMI indicator (manual p. 67, Display item 14). When I select sat/cbl this indicator lights (which it should as my sat rec is connected by HDMI) and just beneath it the word "AUTO" is also lit. What does "AUTO" indicate?
Old 01-31-2012, 04:56 PM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1996 Post(s)
Liked: 1749
^^
Input Mode = AUTO (p. 48)

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Daily 8am – 8pm EST (including weekends)
Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
Old 01-31-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Input Mode = AUTO (p. 48)

Thank you for the quick reply. I was a little concerned because I turned HDMI control on to test video passthrough and then turned it off; I was afraid the "AUTO" meant something about HDMI control. And, as I said, the unit is working the way it did before I turned on HDMI control, so no harm (guess I just never noticed the display before).
Old 01-31-2012, 05:12 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Yeh .. rather tiny print to notice to begin with. Note however, the HDMI Control setting is identifed whether the "red" ring around the power button is lit (ON) or not (OFF).

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - Authorized dealer for AVRs, Speakers, etc. 

Call for pricing - Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, Def Tech, Atlantic Tech, Oppo
Old 01-31-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:

^^
Yeh .. rather tiny print to notice to begin with. Note however, the HDMI Control setting is identifed whether the "red" ring around the power button is lit (ON) or not (OFF).

I noticed the red when I tested it (chose to turn it off because my subwoofer wouldn't turn off because the 1911's draw of power in HDMI control mode wouldn't trip my "smart" power strip).
Old 01-31-2012, 05:39 PM
585-645-1006

^^
If you don't need the HDMI Control feature, then no issue; however, per the manual there should only be a 3W difference when used and not used. Check your smart strip as some come with an adjustable sensitivity knob.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:

^^
If you don't need the HDMI Control feature, then no issue; however, per the manual there should only be a 3W difference when used and not used. Check your smart strip as some come with an adjustable sensitivity knob.

Never occurred to me the strip might have an adjustment. I'll look into that, thanks!
Old 02-02-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:

^^

Sure enough my smart strip had an adjustment. All is working well, thanks!
Old 02-02-2012, 11:07 PM

hey all i have a denon avr-891 and had to buy a seperate power cable. When the receiver is off is the power button supposed to have a red ring around the power button or not? Any help would be great!
Old 02-03-2012, 12:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd21 View Post

hey all i have a denon avr-891 and had to buy a seperate power cable. When the receiver is off is the power button supposed to have a red ring around the power button or not? Any help would be great!

Hi todd21, the red ring around power button indicates that "HDMI Control" is set to "ON" when the AVR is powered down to Standby.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 35
So I've had my 891 for almost a year now and am loving it, especially after the last update of firmware on my Vizio TV which made all of the HDMI control work flawlessly (prior to the update it worked but I couldn't change the volume on the TV when the receiver was in stdby/passthru).

Anyway, I've been using a wireless HDMI connection from Monoprice on another DTV receiver and wanted to relocate it to the one with my 891 to get within range of the kitchen for the wireless HDMI.

I use this with an HS-104 switch (no longer sold by monoprice).
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
http://www.citruscomputersdirect.com...rt-hs-104.html

Soooooo, I powered everything down, unplugged the 891 HDMI from the DTV receiver, plugged in the switch, plugged in the wireless HDMI and plugged in the receiver, powered everything back up. Hmmmmm, picture AOK but no sound. I swap HDMI cables, move the setup back to the original source (still works), and even try a different switch I had, still, picture on the TV but no sound. And I'm talking on the hardwired TV, not the wireless. I removed the wireless device from the switch (e.g. DTV -> HDMI -> Switch -> 891 -> TV) and STILL, only picture. Each time I made a change I went through the proper power cycles/resets. BTW, I GET sound on the TV if I put the 891 into standby pass-through mode. Just NO SOUND from the receiver when it is turned on.

Anyone else using a distribution amplifier switch like the HS-104 between a source and the 891???
Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

HDMI control is stupid. I always recommend turning it off when possible, just get a good universal remote if you want "auto" switching of input sources.

I fully agree, especially after this issue happened to me. Easiest just to turn on things manually or like you said with a good universal remote. Which is my next home theater purchase.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:19 AM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakstr View Post

So I've had my 891 for almost a year now and am loving it, especially after the last update of firmware on my Vizio TV which made all of the HDMI control work flawlessly (prior to the update it worked but I couldn't change the volume on the TV when the receiver was in stdby/passthru).

Anyway, I've been using a wireless HDMI connection from Monoprice on another DTV receiver and wanted to relocate it to the one with my 891 to get within range of the kitchen for the wireless HDMI.

I use this with an HS-104 switch (no longer sold by monoprice).
http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
http://www.citruscomputersdirect.com...rt-hs-104.html

Soooooo, I powered everything down, unplugged the 891 HDMI from the DTV receiver, plugged in the switch, plugged in the wireless HDMI and plugged in the receiver, powered everything back up. Hmmmmm, picture AOK but no sound. I swap HDMI cables, move the setup back to the original source (still works), and even try a different switch I had, still, picture on the TV but no sound. And I'm talking on the hardwired TV, not the wireless. I removed the wireless device from the switch (e.g. DTV -> HDMI -> Switch -> 891 -> TV) and STILL, only picture. Each time I made a change I went through the proper power cycles/resets. BTW, I GET sound on the TV if I put the 891 into standby pass-through mode. Just NO SOUND from the receiver when it is turned on.

Anyone else using a distribution amplifier switch like the HS-104 between a source and the 891???

Are you trying to pass audio through to the TV or to the AVR? If the TV while the AVR is on, the "HDMI Audio Out" setting must be set to TV.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Are you trying to pass audio through to the TV or to the AVR? If the TV while the AVR is on, the "HDMI Audio Out" setting must be set to TV.

Not at home but pretty sure it's all set up correctly. I reread my description and, ... what a mess, let me try to simplify and remove all irrelevent discussion

All works AOK when the following is configured

DTV RECEIVER -> 891 -> TV

if 891 on, sound from surround system, when 891 off, sound through TV speakers (as desired).

I wanted to split the DTV signal for another device so I did this

DTV -> HDMI SPLITTER -> 891 -> TV

if 891 on, picture on TV, NO SOUND, when 891 off, sound through TV speakers.

WHY would the splitter impact the 891 like that??? Tried multiple cables and two differnet splitters (both the same model). Got to be a handshake issue but the sound from the TV when the 891 is doing a pass through tells me the cables are all good and boggles my little head
Old 02-07-2012, 12:38 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Ah, okay, makes more sense now. What is the other device you are passing the DTV signal to and what is it's video/audio capability? Try turning Dolby Digital OFF on the DTV so it only passes stereo audio.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hey guys, hoping you can help me out with a Q I have regarding my AVR-791.

Long story short...I want to connect my cable box via component + optical so I can use the v.select feature and watch TV while listening to a CD/Ipod at the same time.

Now, I read through Batpigs dictionary and according to that you CAN mix video/audio from different sources as long as either of those sources are NOT HDMI. I currently have my cable box connected to my AVR via HDMI and I love that I don't have to turn on the AVR to watch TV thanks to the standby function. Now my question...

**Does the AVR support standby power to the component inputs so I do not need to physically power on the unit to watch TV, or does this only apply to the HDMI jacks?**

any and all help is appreciated!
Old 02-07-2012, 12:46 PM
585-645-1006

^^
It only applies to the HDMI inputs. A better option for you might be connecting the cable box (HDMI) to the TV with optical from the box to the 791 which resolves both of your needs. Alternatively you could also connect the HDMI from the cable box to the 791 in addition to the component cable.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

^^
Ah, okay, makes more sense now. What is the other device you are passing the DTV signal to and what is it's video/audio capability? Try turning Dolby Digital OFF on the DTV so it only passes stereo audio.

Even with no other device connected to the splitter it behaves like this. I understand why you suggest turning off DD but that would not be an acceptable solution (I will try though just for the data point in a couple days when I return home)!
Old 02-07-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:

^^
It only applies to the HDMI inputs. A better option for you might be connecting the cable box (HDMI) to the TV with optical from the box to the 791 which resolves both of your needs. Alternatively you could also connect the HDMI from the cable box to the 791 in addition to the component cable.

great, thanks for the reply! So, connect my cable box to my TV via HDMI, then the optical out from the cable box to my 791. Makes sense...I'm just trying to avoid running as many cables as possible to my TV to keep the clutter down but I guess this is my only option...
Old 02-07-2012, 01:35 PM
585-645-1006

^^
You could also connect the cable box HDMI to the 791 as well, using it for your primary source input (remove the optical cable connection) and for Standby pass through and then use the component cable with another source name for when mixing the video with another audio source.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:25 PM

Quote:

^^
You could also connect the cable box HDMI to the 791 as well, using it for your primary source input (remove the optical cable connection) and for Standby pass through and then use the component cable with another source name for when mixing the video with another audio source.

Oh, sweet! I totally get it now. That should work I'll give that a go tonight. Thanks!
Old 02-10-2012, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Sorry for the stupid question but seeing that MultiEQ can only EQ 1 sub, if I use a "y" adapter and connect both of my subs in the left (the one with the white square around assuming it's the main one) preout from my 2311, would that result in both the subs being EQ'd?
Old 02-10-2012, 08:09 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Yup ... they will be EQ'd together so ideally try to place them equidistant from the main listening position (#1). Even though the 3311CI has dual sub preouts, it simply uses an internal "Y" splitter ... no different than using an external one.

Old 02-10-2012, 09:10 PM

Just ordered the 2311CI. This will be my first receiver ive ever bought!!
Old 02-11-2012, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunwave View Post

Just ordered the 2311CI. This will be my first receiver ive ever bought!!

Congratulations, this is the one I have but this is my fourth or fifth receiver.

lujan
718 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
Old 02-11-2012, 09:23 PM

I just purchased a pre-owned 2311ci in mint condition. On the sticker it says GUI. What is GUI? Also, it doesn't come with a remote so I will have to get one. Which remote comes with the 2311ci, the rc-1146 or rc-1147? What's the difference between the 2?
Can I use the audyssey mic A-405 from my 2308ci withe the 2311ci?
Thanks,
Tin
Old 02-11-2012, 10:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinng321 View Post

I just purchased a pre-owned 2311ci in mint condition. On the sticker it says GUI. What is GUI? Also, it doesn't come with a remote so I will have to get one. Which remote comes with the 2311ci, the rc-1146 or rc-1147? What's the difference between the 2?
Can I use the audyssey mic A-405 from my 2308ci withe the 2311ci?
Thanks,
Tin

Hi tinng321, GUI - Graphical User Interface (color menu will overlay over HDMI video). Correct remote for 2311ci is RC-1146 (RC-1147 is for low level model 591 which doesn't have features like Zone2, Zone Select, Net/USB, etc...). The correct Audyssey mic is DMA-409 (A-405 is calibrated different).
Old 02-11-2012, 10:32 PM

Hi all,

New here, just got myself a Denon AVR 791 and have been having issues with it. My current setup is using the 791 with 5.1, using HDMI and optical audio out with my motorola comcast box, HDMI and digital coaxial out with my LG Blu-ray player, and HDMI for our LG 42 TV. The 791 has been unable to retain picture and sound without constant cutting out adjusting. This happens when I watch anything on the DVR (it will start adjusting picture and sound for no reason), and tonight we watched a blu-ray for the first time and it did the exact same thing.

You can see the indicators on the display go in and out, watching the HDMI indicator go, and various others as well. It will not keep the video or audio displayed for any amount of time. I finally had to stop, and run the HDMI direct to the TV instead of through the receiver. Same solution for the TV. I've not run across any info for a fix. Has anyone else had this issue? It seems to be related to the ability of the receiver to detect/hold a signal via HDMI, as though it cannot accurately autodetect the signal like it should. Any help would be appreciated, as I'm really unhappy with the capabilities of the video at this point.

Thanks,

Angelo

P.S. I can't get my menu to show up on screen. Everything is run via HDMI video wise. Any help on both these matters greatly appreciated!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:19 AM

Hi folks,

I have the Denon AVR-891 set up with the following speakers, and I feel like I'm not getting nearly the volume that I would have expected:

Polk Audio Monitor50 Series II fronts
Polk Audio CS2 Series II Center Channel
Polk Audio RM 7 Satellites
Polk Audio PSW Series PSW10

I know it isn't the highest end gear out there, but I thought it would have enough juice to shake the walls a bit. My only point of comparison is an ancient Realistic STA-2380 receiver paired with two 20 year old Bose Model 21 bookshelf speakers. I feel like that old stuff cranks much louder than the 891 with the Polk setup.

Is this just the way it is going to be with my gear, or am I missing something? I've got my center channel and fronts set as Large in the setup menu. Using 14 gauge speaker wire. Would really appreciate some insight. Thanks in advance!

Tags
Denon Avr 791 Receiver , Denon Avr 1911 Receiver , Denon Avr 891 Receiver , Denon Avr 2311ci Receiver