*Official* Denon AVR-1911/791 & AVR-2311CI/891 Owner's Thread - Page 153 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #4561 of 5060 Old 03-04-2012, 11:02 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by winston9332 View Post

I installed a 2311 in my mother in law's house about a year ago. Just confirmed this morning that the zone2 preouts are no longer working for all analog sources including the tuner. No other function seems to be affected.

Any one seen this before?

Does zone 2 work with speaker outputs (ie with amp assign set to zone 2)?

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4562 of 5060 Old 03-04-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie View Post

^^
Was Zone 2 confirmed "ON"? Did you try resetting the microprocessor (p. 84)?

Zone 2 was ON with all sources. Will try a reset...
post #4563 of 5060 Old 03-04-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by batpig View Post

Does zone 2 work with speaker outputs (ie with amp assign set to zone 2)?

Was unable to test...she has a rather complicated whole home setup in a cramped cabinet and rewiring was going to be time consuming at that moment.
post #4564 of 5060 Old 03-06-2012, 08:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I have a less than 1 year old 891 and just recently it started to shut itself off at random.

I've tried unplugging for a few hours then plugging back in and turning on this seems to help it lasts about 2 hours then shuts off.

I've tried a microprocessor reset and this also helped for about 2 hours then it shut off. actually I'm not totally sure if the reset worked...I could not get the display to blink.

When it shuts down if I try and turn it back on it immediately shuts off again

any help greatly appreciated as I am very frustrated I did alot of research before buying this and I am a little disappointed. I've also had popping issues but I can live with that. Cant live with it shutting down.
post #4565 of 5060 Old 03-06-2012, 08:59 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by blexann View Post

Hi, I have a less than 1 year old 891 and just recently it started to shut itself off at random.

I've tried unplugging for a few hours then plugging back in and turning on this seems to help it lasts about 2 hours then shuts off.

I've tried a microprocessor reset and this also helped for about 2 hours then it shut off. actually I'm not totally sure if the reset worked...I could not get the display to blink.

any help greatly appreciated as I am very frustrated I did alot of research before buying this and I am a little disappointed. I've also had popping issues but I can live with that. Cant live with it shutting down.

Happen to me and a friend to our Denon 1911s ...thats why no more Den, again. I realized it wants and Needs clean and uninterrupted power at the wall or power strip.

"I'm done with upgrading my HT system...really...simply done...really this time!!"
--------------------------------------------------------
http://www.allanmichael.vpweb.com

http://www.aestheticrealism.org

post #4566 of 5060 Old 03-07-2012, 12:47 AM
585-645-1006

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by blexann View Post

In the vast majority of cases where this happens, it's the result of a loose speaker wire from one speaker post touching another speaker post. Pull the AVR out and visually check each speaker post as well as at the speakers themselves. If you have any in wall wiring, it's also possible the wire may have been cut by a nail, thus causing a short.

---------------------------------
"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Mon - Fri: 8am – 8pm EST (Sat/Sun, leave message)
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
** Think the AVR is defective?  Reset the microprocessor 4-5 times. 
post #4567 of 5060 Old 03-07-2012, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by debrain View Post

So, I've had this 1911 now for about 6 months; bought new. So far, its been functional without any major issues. I do have the low dialog issue that others have mentioned, and have raised the dyn ref. level to 10 and 15. I still find it a little too low. I don't want to have to crank the center too much either, as it starts to get too tinny. Anyway, I've come to accept it. It is a cheaper center after all.

Anyway, I've run into another issue; this time with hdmi input switching. Ever since I put in an htpc this week, whenever I switch from tv input (hdmi) back to sat/cbl input (which is component/optical in) , every 3-5 seconds the video drops and re-detects again. If I power off avr and back on again its fine. I have other hdmi devices on other inputs (popcornhour, xbox and bluray); when switching from these, I don't experience this issue at all

Hadn't been using this hdmi input (3) before now, for the pc.

Any ideas?

Sorry to rehash this again, but is this at all possible then? Still be able to use sat/cbl hdmi port 3, when its already assigned to component/optical?

As mentioned, have a newly built htpc now plugged in hdmi 3 and Bell pvr plugged in component/optical.

To switch to htpc while sat pvr is engaged I've been hitting tv button on demon remote. And only when I switch back to sat/cbl input, does the video start dropping every few secs. A simple power cycle of avr fixes.
post #4568 of 5060 Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Yes, it's possible to "stack" inputs on the same source name; however, the HDMI input takes priority so ensure it is turned OFF prior to turning ON the alternate source.

"JD" – jd@avscience.com ; shop.avscience.com ; 585-645-1006, AVScience - AVSForum sponsor for 15 years  
Call for pricing on Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, Klipsch, Def Tech, Oppo, Parasound 
post #4569 of 5060 Old 03-07-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:

In the vast majority of cases where this happens, it's the result of a loose speaker wire from one speaker post touching another speaker post. Pull the AVR out and visually check each speaker post as well as at the speakers themselves. If you have any in wall wiring, it's also possible the wire may have been cut by a nail, thus causing a short.

tahnks - I will try this
post #4570 of 5060 Old 03-08-2012, 09:53 AM

Hi there I was wondering if anyone here is aware of fix or workaround for this problem.

I use bitstreaming from HTPC to 2311 via SPDIF. When the monitor out HDMI is hooked up from my receiver to my projector the receiver intermitently drops the SPDIF connection resulting is loss of sound. When I unplug the HDMI cable everything is fine. This is the case with DTS, Dolby digital and PCM and when my projector is off. The only reason that I use monitor out on receiver in first place is for bluray. Any workaround? Wish firmware updates were available.
post #4571 of 5060 Old 03-08-2012, 10:00 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Is the HTPC also connected with an HDMI cable or do you have a separate BDP that you use to play BDs? AFAIK, there is at least one firmware update for the 2311CI (unknown as to what it fixes); however, it can only be installed at an authorized repair facility.

post #4572 of 5060 Old 03-08-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen_x View Post

Hi there I was wondering if anyone here is aware of fix or workaround for this problem.

I use bitstreaming from HTPC to 2311 via SPDIF. When the monitor out HDMI is hooked up from my receiver to my projector the receiver intermitently drops the SPDIF connection resulting is loss of sound. When I unplug the HDMI cable everything is fine. This is the case with DTS, Dolby digital and PCM and when my projector is off. The only reason that I use monitor out on receiver in first place is for bluray. Any workaround? Wish firmware updates were available.

Quote:

^^
Is the HTPC also connected with an HDMI cable or do you have a separate BDP that you use to play BDs? AFAIK, there is at least one firmware update for the 2311CI (unknown as to what it fixes); however, it can only be installed at an authorized repair facility.

The HTPC is only connected via SPDIF. separate BDP is used to play BD and connected to 2311 via HDMI for best sound. What a pain to update the firmware whish Denon would improve this via usb.
post #4573 of 5060 Old 03-08-2012, 10:21 AM
585-645-1006

^^
AFAIK, the new XX13 models will all be capable of firmware updates via USB. Make sure to try the other optical input as well if not already tried. You may also find that inserting an HDMI switch/splitter between the AVR and the PJ will resolve the issue.

post #4574 of 5060 Old 03-08-2012, 10:31 AM

Quote:

^^
AFAIK, the new XX13 models will all be capable of firmware updates via USB. Make sure to try the other optical input as well if not already tried. You may also find that inserting an HDMI switch/splitter between the AVR and the PJ will resolve the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen_x View Post

The HTPC is only connected via SPDIF. separate BDP is used to play BD and connected to 2311 via HDMI for best sound. What a pain to update the firmware whish Denon would improve this via usb.

Quote:

^^

Yes switch would likely resolve the issue as workaround. However I am looking for my AVR to work as expected. thanks for the suggestion.
post #4575 of 5060 Old 03-08-2012, 12:11 PM

Hello,

I´ve a new denon 2311 and i want to know when i shoud use the i/p scalar funcition.

I´ve a dvd connected over hdmi, so i think that i can use this function for improve the image. But my doubt is that this going to make this function work over my bluray, and i don´t want this, because, the bluray didn´t need this.

What should i do?
regards.
post #4576 of 5060 Old 03-08-2012, 01:07 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Use the feature if it improves the quality of the video, otherwise just set it to OFF.

post #4577 of 5060 Old 03-08-2012, 01:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 892
also, just to be clear, the i/p scaler won't do anything to Blu-ray video because it's already 1080p. It will scale lower resolution sources up to 1080p (or another resolution) if you want, but it will let 1080p video pass through untouched.

so, basically, only use it if you find it improves sources that are lower than 1080p.

and remember you can set it separately for each input.

batpig's "Denon-to-English Dictionary"
Setup Guide and FAQ
http://batpigworld.com/

Become a fan "batpigworld.com" on Facebook!
post #4578 of 5060 Old 03-10-2012, 05:34 PM

Thanks for your answers,

I was affraid that working with 1080p blurays, this functions also works, but if itwill let 1080p video pass through untouched, there is no problem.

I´m also don´t know that i can set for each input, this is excelent, thanks a lot.
I´ll check the manual

Regards.
post #4579 of 5060 Old 03-11-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:

I replaced all the the speaker wires with 14 gauge wire and banana plug to the avr (speakers dont have them). I reset the microprocessor according to the instructions in the owners manual. The problem persists only now it shuts down immediately after turning it on.

Any other suggestion before I take it in for warranty repair?

thanks
post #4580 of 5060 Old 03-11-2012, 05:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

yes...

disconnect all speakers...
reconnect one...
turn on avr and see if it shuts down...
if so, disconnect that one, and connect another (different channel)...
if it shuts down again, likely avr problem...

if the first one doesn't cause a shut down, repeat the process through all the speakers until you find the one that causes it to shutdown..

once you find it, then hook a different speaker up to that channel... if it shuts down again, then it's either an avr or speaker wire issue... if it doesn't, it's a speaker issue (likely a dead short)...

hth...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4581 of 5060 Old 03-12-2012, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

yes...

reconnect one...

if the first one doesn't cause a shut down, repeat the process through all the speakers until you find the one that causes it to shutdown..

once you find it, then hook a different speaker up to that channel... if it shuts down again, then it's either an avr or speaker wire issue... if it doesn't, it's a speaker issue (likely a dead short)...

hth...

I will try this...just one question

should I have to reset the microprossor if the avr shuts down before going to the next step?
post #4582 of 5060 Old 03-12-2012, 08:33 AM
585-645-1006

^^
Although you can certainly try resetting the microprocessor a few more times, it likely won't do any good and wouldn't be required to move on to the next step.

post #4583 of 5060 Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccotenj View Post

^^^

yes...

reconnect one...

hth...

done. I've successfully tested using the steps above. All speakers passed. No shut down of the avr. I will run it as normal. Something tells me it will shut down again but hopefully not. I will report back.

thanks!
post #4584 of 5060 Old 03-13-2012, 04:26 PM

I have a quick question, can the 891 output either optical or RCA audio from a HDMI source? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, unless I hook up a 1/4" to RCA adapter to the phone jack or something, but I wanted to make sure. I wanted to grab a PX5 headset but I can't figure out how I'm going to hook it up since all my sources are HDMI.
post #4585 of 5060 Old 03-13-2012, 04:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 89
^^^

nope, it can't...

- chris

my build thread - updated 8-20-12 - new seating installed and projector isolation solution

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1332917/ccotenj-finally-gets-a-projector

post #4586 of 5060 Old 03-13-2012, 04:41 PM
585-645-1006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meepie View Post

I have a quick question, can the 891 output either optical or RCA audio from a HDMI source? I'm pretty sure the answer is no, unless I hook up a 1/4" to RCA adapter to the phone jack or something, but I wanted to make sure. I wanted to grab a PX5 headset but I can't figure out how I'm going to hook it up since all my sources are HDMI.

You could just connect the PX5 to your gaming source directly via optical and set audio to optical while the video passes through HDMI to the 891.

post #4587 of 5060 Old 03-13-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:

You could just connect the PX5 to your gaming source directly via optical and set audio to optical while the video passes through HDMI to the 891.

Yeah I could do that, except I run my 360, PS3, and PC all through my receiver and would be using the headset for all of them. So I'd end up having to swap the cables around continuously which is a huge pain.
post #4588 of 5060 Old 03-13-2012, 05:21 PM
585-645-1006

^^
Ah .. multiple gaming sources ... then you could connect each of them to an HDMI switch with optical output to the PX5 and HDMI output to the 891.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

post #4589 of 5060 Old 03-13-2012, 06:06 PM

^^^
Hmm, yeah that would definitely do it. I'm not sure if I want to pay an extra $50 and further complicate my setup just for a wireless headset though... going to have to think about it. Thanks for the help!
post #4590 of 5060 Old 03-14-2012, 07:47 PM

Here is my setup, AVR 1911 as the main brain that controls my whole system, I have a Sony 55 inch LED and a sony playstation 3, all of which are hooked via HDMI. In the 1911 set up I have HDMI control on. When i used to turn the TV off, the reciever would automatically turn itself off too, but something has changed recently, not sure if kids did anything but now when I hit the tv power button to turn it off, the receiver stays on and I can hear the audio from my all my speakers as they are hooked up to the receiver, even though the tv is off. Any help how to get the receiver to go off when i turn the TV off?

Thanks in advance.
Reply Receivers, Amps, and Processors

Tags
Denon Avr 791 Receiver , Denon Avr 1911 Receiver , Denon Avr 891 Receiver , Denon Avr 2311ci Receiver
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page